Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_fan75

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2023
The temptation to install the public beta onto my 15PM is strong lol watching this thread closely 😁😅
Beta is beta, next release could be a breaker or not but it feels pretty good on both devices. Also beta on my Mac Studio but did encountered some performance issues there but those seem to be resolved in 3 (different partition though).

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
Ok so I’m wondering how much SOT you guys get with 15 PM - I am now on my second charge this day and I am from 80% down to 43% in 4 hrs SOT.
How was it on iOS 17?
I got my phone two weeks ago and I installed right away the beta of iOS 18, that’s why I am asking, I didn’t wanted to stay on 17.5.1 because it was such a bad experience for my last iPhone.
So yeah anyone wants to share their experience? Would be nice.

Edit: and do you use the 80% charge limit ? For myself I use it right of the first boot.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
If you have to charge your phone more than once a night, the 80% limit seems like a waste. It's like going to the buffet and grabbing the smaller plate, but making twice as many trips to the line.

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
But I think it’s more a waste to set it to 100% because it’s beta and beta is not that good in terms of battery life right now

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
I guess. To go back to the food analogy: I would never say I was going to cook 80% of a recipe. If I only end up eating 80% then that's fine, the other 20% becomes the dog's portion.

The question becomes: would a single cycle from 100% gotten you through the day or did you need to put 1.6 cycles on your battery (80% x2)? At least, that’s how my brain works.

Last edited:

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
Isn’t it possible in beta to set charge limit? If 80% is not enough, set it to 90 or even 95. I don’t have beta yet but I guess 95% will be my target

Reactions: one more

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
I think that everything above 80% will stress the battery to much, that’s why I set it to 80% and I used it excessively the last day, will try to use it a bit less and see if 80% is enough.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Charging past 80% isn't the "main" problem. What is the most stressful for the battery is being fully charged AND under load/stress. Like for example gaming with your phone plugged in. Or using the GPS/music in your car with the phone charging. I feel like the 80% charging limit has been designed for these kind of situations.

I believe the main metric that will affect your battery wear over time is the number of cycles. And there is little to nothing you can do about it.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I have the feeling that beta 3 „newer build“ is worse in terms of battery life.
I spend ~5 hrs on my iPhone SOT and then I needed to charge my phone from 22% to 80%.
Now I use the phone for about 2 3/4 hrs and it’s down to 57% from 80% again.

I guess the battery life will be better in the last betas at earliest, right?

That’s the thing they fix at last minute, right?

Usually yes, the battery fine-tuning is at the end of the beta cycle.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Isn’t it possible in beta to set charge limit? If 80% is not enough, set it to 90 or even 95. I don’t have beta yet but I guess 95% will be my target

Yes, in iOS 18 we can set it in increments of 5%, so 80, 85, 90, 95 and 100.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Charging past 80% isn't the "main" problem. What is the most stressful for the battery is being fully charged AND under load/stress. Like for example gaming with your phone plugged in. Or using the GPS/music in your car with the phone charging. I feel like the 80% charging limit has been designed for these kind of situations.

I believe the main metric that will affect your battery wear over time is the number of cycles. And there is little to nothing you can do about it.

True, and not only for betas. For example, having your iPhone plugged in and having a FaceTime video call in a bright space will cook the battery.

sokol363

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
IMG_0012.png
Since beta 2, battery is a joke. Calendar app drain 24/7. Uninstall app doesn’t help. Remove mail account also doesn’t help

Reactions: Weldor7

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
It's not like they get to two weeks before launch and then hit the optimize battery button. It's more of squashing bugs with runaway processes, bluetooth stack issues, and wifi and cellular connectivity issues. It's a constant process and certainly does not stop at 18.0.0.

It's actually quite possible the battery life will get worse with 18.0 GM because the Apple Intelligence beta will start doing all kind of background NPU stuff that isn't being done at all now.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Why not just try it, first do a proper backup of everything and then install the beta and test it out for yourself for a while.
I apologize---what's the proper back up? iCloud? Or on my Macbook? I'm asking because I have restored from iCloud before but usually "phone to phone".

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
I apologize---what's the proper back up? iCloud? Or on my Macbook? I'm asking because I have restored from iCloud before but usually "phone to phone".
In my eyes proper backup is cloud or Mac - just backup everything important to you, thats what I wanted to say

Reactions: mikelets456

sokol363

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
For me, the Calendar app used 53 min over 10 days. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Do you have a lot of shared calendars or subscriptions to constantly update?
Any subscribe calendar. Just one from iCloud, Gmail and birthday from contacts

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
Somebody I don’t remember where, said that it could to do with buggy calendar synch with iCloud.
Maybe disable synch in your iCloud settings?

Reactions: one more

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Any subscribe calendar. Just one from iCloud, Gmail and birthday from contacts

I use an iCloud calendar and public holidays calendar (fed to you by Apple automatically for your country). No issues there. So it is either your Google calendar (more likely) or birthday calendar that might be draining your battery so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.