Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Not really related to iOS but something to think about...

Possible September 2024 lineup:
no iPhone SE (2022) - unless adjusted to have USB Type C
iPhone 13 mini - wishful thinking of being brought back
iPhone 14
iPhone 15 and 15 Plus
iPhone 16 and 16 Plus
iPhone 16 Pro and 16 Pro Max

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
The AI, moving in so fast, has already collected quite a bit of negative press in the mainstream media - from unforeseen and uncontrollable data leaks to outright apocalyptic scenario. Therefore, I think Apple might have made a tactical mistake of only enabling their AI model on their latest devices. Instead they could have blended the current “deficient” Siri with ChatGPT (both of which could function in their current online mode) and let it run, impressing people and getting them more comfortable. They could then introduce the on-device model over the next few years, once the hardwire of most people catches up. We shall see.
Apple would no doubt have liked to have it on all devices immediately. But it was not an option to wait until capable devices are available. For better or worse, Wall Street forced Apple’s hand on this, as did its competitors.

I should note that since Apple’s offering is not yet on any consumer device, we have no idea what risks it poses as opposed to what we’ve seen on the others. I would say that of all the others, though, it appears to be the best thought out and least ambitious (which is probably a good thing).

MS Copilot seems to want to just step in and be Jarvis. And it’s not ready enough for prime time to do that And although Microsoft’s idea for continuous screen capture has some obvious merits, it’s the implementation that was seriously flawed (not encrypting the captures), requiring its removal.

Gemini had the issues with obvious over politicization of its image output.

Apple, which sometimes seems plodding and behind the times, benefits from seeing the mistakes made by their competitors and adjusting accordingly. We’ve seen this time and again.

This stuff is here to stay. Apple’s objective is to make sure it’s deployed in a meaningful way that actually benefits its customers and isn’t just a gimmick, while making sure it lives up to its own privacy and security standards. It strikes me that how they have said they are going to do this stands the best chance of doing that.

As it is, this is going to be a slow, and sometimes frustrating, rollout. They couldn’t wait another year to do something more than a chirpy chatbot. Apple’s biggest advantage is owning the entire stack - software and hardware and the benefits that brings that the others largely don’t have (save perhaps the Google Pixel phones). They had to move now or risk falling behind irretrievably.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Not really related to iOS but something to think about...

Possible September 2024 lineup:
no iPhone SE (2022) - unless adjusted to have USB Type C
iPhone 13 mini - wishful thinking of being brought back
iPhone 14
iPhone 15 and 15 Plus
iPhone 16 and 16 Plus

You should post it in this dedicated Forum:

I would adjust your list as follows:

iPhone SE (2022) - can stay as is until spring 2025 and be replaced by a rumoured slightly tweaked iPhone 14 model
iPhone 13 mini - that model is finished
iPhone 14
iPhone 15 and 15 Plus
iPhone 16 and 16 Plus

Reactions: d5aqoëp

sbcdk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
With the total PR, soft- and hardware focus on AI, which wont come to EU any time soon, I wonder how it will impact the sales here? 34 million iPhones sold here in 2023, that is a pretty big market to just give up on. Europeans already buy more Samsung than Apple devices, so is it wise to voluntarily hand over even more market share to the Koreans?

I for one have bought every single iPhone available here on release day, but I dont see much point in continuing that this year? And no, I wont pay $2000 for another cam button and updated cams…

dazcox5181

Suspended
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
With the total PR, soft- and hardware focus on AI, which wont come to EU any time soon, I wonder how it will impact the sales here? 34 million iPhones sold here in 2023, that is a pretty big market to just give up on. Europeans already buy more Samsung than Apple devices, so is it wise to voluntarily hand over even more market share to the Koreans?

I for one have bought every single iPhone available here on release day, but I dont see much point in continuing that this year? And no, I wont pay $2000 for another cam button and updated cams…
If the EU continue to penalise companies for their success then eventually, that could well happen... long as they start to apply their rules more broadly... why can't I run competing software in my car for example... Lets pick on an EU brand.. VW group? PSA group?

Reactions: Kal Madda

Natya Sadella

Suspended
Jun 20, 2016
They will do it and they will have success with that as always. I don’t like how my 14 pro is a vintage device now when it’s outdated just to years later. I’m happy to see my M4 iPad getting AI but this will be a crazy letdown for millions and millions of people all around the world when they notice they can’t run Apple Intelligence

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
They will do it and they will have success with that as always. I don’t like how my 14 pro is a vintage device now when it’s outdated just to years later. I’m happy to see my M4 iPad getting AI but this will be a crazy letdown for millions and millions of people all around the world when they notice they can’t run Apple Intelligence
Reference
One of the biggest pushes for AI on a laptop, rather than in the cloud, is security. After all, running an AI workload on an NPU in your computer means you don't necessarily need to send your information to the cloud.
That being said, that also means AI features need to be built securely, too. After security researchers discovered how easy it was to steal data from, Recall, Microsoft’s new AI feature that takes screenshots of all your activity, for later reference was pulled from the initial Copilot+ set of features as Microsoft promised more security and testing with Windows Insider members.
If you are running a business and having an LLM manage top-secret corporate data, having it processed locally would be more meaningful. But most of the AI features currently being marketed are not mission-critical business tools. Perhaps if Microsoft 365 Copilot ran completely locally, that would be a plus for some companies.
No matter what type of PC you're using, you should still adhere to good security practices. Other humans are still outsmarting us there.
Thats a bit of the background on why Apple is doing it their way with iOS 18, still for a lot of just queries about web based information why does that need higher privacy and local AI rather then cloud based? IMHO I don't think a good share of Siri interaction requires non-cloud AI compared to creative compositions and works. So yes Apple making AI only run local for consumer usage not anything in the cloud is absurd with good security practices on less sensitive information that are not mission-critical business tools/content. ;)

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Your point? We had iOS 18 beta on Monday and now a 17.6 beta on Monday, hence me asking is Monday the new beta day.
Who knows for sure? Some pretty extenuating circumstances regarding the iOS 18 beta 2 release last week. As for 17.6 today, Monday is not an unusual day to begin with but throw in the fact that this is going to be a holiday shortened week and it makes even more sense.

I doubt we’ll see 18 beta 3 next Monday. though

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Who knows for sure? Some pretty extenuating circumstances regarding the iOS 18 beta 2 release last week. As for 17.6 today, Monday is not an unusual day to begin with but throw in the fact that this is going to be a holiday shortened week and it makes even more sense.

I doubt we’ll see 18 beta 3 next Monday. though
Still makes you wonder if the chance of a iOS/iPadOS 18 B3 seed next Monday has increased? It is a bit more of a shift to Monday from the Tuesday's routine. Also I noticed that with iPadOS b2 that latest brave browser is working preventing ads on URLs that show them or usually redirect when using Safari 18 builds.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Every year for at least the last 6 years. Public beta has come the early in July or even late June in one case also.
Just to provide further evidence. This is why the speculation zero'ing onto either July 9th and July 10th seeding seems accurate. ;)
  • iOS 17 public beta: July 12, 2023
  • iOS 16 public beta: July 11, 2022
  • iOS 15 public beta: June 30, 2021
  • iOS 14 public beta: July 9, 2020

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Figma CEO Dylan Field says the company will temporarily disable its “Make Design” AI feature that was said to be ripping off the designs of Apple’s own Weather app.

Figma’s new tool Make Designs lets users quickly mock up apps using generative AI. Now, it’s been pulled after the tool drafted designs that looked strikingly similar to Apple’s iOS weather app. Figma CEO Dylan Field posted a thread on X early Tuesday morning detailing the removal, putting the blame on himself for pushing the team to meet a deadline, and defending the company’s approach to developing its AI tools.

the fact that it's straight copying Apple's components without even attempting to rearrange elements or information in any meaningful way is pretty alarming.
Not the nicest comments from verge readers
This is why AI is a bad source for inspiration: you don’t know where it’s stolen from. If you see a great idea you suddenly have a ton of homework to do to see if it’s original or if it’s straight lifted from something you’ve never heard of.
Image how difficult it could become for the App Store to screen out iOS app clones using generative AI. :D:eek:

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Just to provide further evidence. This is why the speculation zero'ing onto either July 9th and July 10th seeding seems accurate. ;)
  • iOS 17 public beta: July 12, 2023
  • iOS 16 public beta: July 11, 2022
  • iOS 15 public beta: June 30, 2021
  • iOS 14 public beta: July 9, 2020

I root for July 10 this year then! 😊🖐️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.