Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Really hoping for DB 3 on Monday, but certainly wouldn’t be surprised if it comes Tuesday.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Excited for DB3 on Mon/Tue and hope it addresses the infuriating disappearing icon issues when appearance changes and improves the battery drain I've had on B2.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
They're wrong. Next week. ;)
Isn‘t Public Beta usually lagging a week behind the Developer ones early on?

Not that it matters as everyone and their dog can now get developer betas for free with a free developer account.

I hope DB3 in the week of July 8th and hope it includes more RCS supported carrier profiles (and RCS bug fixes).

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

Not that it matters as everyone and their dog can now get developer betas for free with a free developer account.

I hope DB3 in the week of July 8th and hope it includes more RCS supported carrier profiles (and RCS bug fixes).

You nailed it ^ (in bold). People who know how to do betas and want to will install it the day DB3 comes in, the rest will probably be fine to wait.

Reactions: Tagbert

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

The last two years yes they did seed beta 3 seeds and do the PB seed a week later after providing an update seed at the same time to devs.

It's just the way the dev iOS/IPadOS 18 releases are working along with the end of profiles and just using Apple ID aka Apple account now, with as previously mentioned anyone can sign up for the dev seeds via Apple developer site, they really don't need to delay the PB seeding for a week. These last few iOS 17.x seeds have been less problematic then previous years. Also if something is found they can act immediately and rerelease beta 3 or PB1 anytime they want. It's not like Apple needs to tiptoe as much as they used to with PB being so good, when they have several betas to go before it goes public in Sept.

Also both the dev seeds occurred on a Monday. When has that ever happened before. o_O

Last edited:

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
The last two years yes they did seed beta 3 seeds and do the PB seed a week later after providing an update seed at the same time to devs.

It's just the way the dev iOS/IPadOS 18 releases are working along with the end of profiles and just using Apple ID aka Apple account now, with as previously mentioned anyone can sign up for the dev seeds via Apple developer site, they really don't need to delay the PB seeding for a week. These last few iOS 17.x seeds have been less problematic then previous years. Also if something is found they can act immediately and rerelease beta 3 or PB1 anytime they want. It's not like Apple needs to tiptoe as much as they used to with PB being so good, when they have several betas to go before it goes public in Sept.

Also both the dev seeds occurred on a Monday. When has that ever happened before. o_O
There are different terms you agree to on the developer license you get, which essentially tells you to not cry when your phone smokes and dies (and recommended to only install on developer devices).

Them opening it up for everyone doesn‘t mean the public beta should hit day and date, it‘s still meant for the vast majority and thus releases with a delay to ensure no game breakers are ruining their days.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
There are different terms you agree to on the developer license you get, which essentially tells you to not cry when your phone smokes and dies (and recommended to only install on developer devices).

Them opening it up for everyone doesn‘t mean the public beta should hit day and date, it‘s still meant for the vast majority and thus releases with a delay to ensure no game breakers are ruining their days.
There really is hardly any differences deployment issues between dev and PB tester. It not like you can swear that PB seeds are much safer then dev seeds. The only thing that is factual is that as a beta cycle progresses there will be times for both devs and PB testers that issues can crop up. To use 10.16 Catalina as an example Apple failed to notice an increased chance of a kernel panic that was caused by a couple of conditions. But the days of kernel crashes and memory leaks are in a distance past with my several years of experience. You still can encounter a application or a app to unexpectedly quit, but then its works after you restart it. I wouldn't say there really is anything different between installing a dev beta and a PB beta when it comes to taking precautions like backing up before using anything beta. As long as you keep a way to fall back to another version of the OS, you won't have anything ruining your usages of beta testing. Also make sure you don't use software that seems to always present usage issues/failures because it's poorly supported. ;)

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Recent differences in the Dev Beta and the PB are the timing of the release. The build would be the same, but the PB released shortly after as to only impact the "developers" as opposed to the larger range of people own the PB.

If there's a "show stopper" type of issue in the Dev Beta, the PB gets held back.

Reactions: Realityck

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
It should, Apple is not after flashing stuff that plagiarizes other people content, instead just to makes our lives better.
That doesn’t mean it will actually work properly, though. Computing history is littered with the debris of highly touted features that didn’t live up to their billing. The most recent example of this is Windows CoPilot Recall, which never even got rolled out after a much heralded introduction.

This is an existential level threat for Apple, so you know they’re working feverishly to make sure Aplle Intelligence works. That’s why we don’t really have any idea when we’ll first see the betas of these features. Hopefully this week for some of them, but who knows for sure.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Sounds like the new Siri won't be a part of this beta cycle and may be held for next year. That would give Apple time to introduce more AI capable devices before it's fully rolled out.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
Sounds like the new Siri won't be a part of this beta cycle and may be held for next year. That would give Apple time to introduce more AI capable devices before it's fully rolled out.
I noticed the second time watching through that part of the keynote that they said it would be available in beta this summer. It seems like it will still officially be in beta when it’s released in fall as well, which creates confusion about when it will be available in beta.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
This is an existential level threat for Apple, so you know they’re working feverishly to make sure Aplle Intelligence works. That’s why we don’t really have any idea when we’ll first see the betas of these features. Hopefully this week for some of them, but who knows for sure.
On that note what Mark Gurman said in his newsletter today is putting a dampening spell on most readers I'm sure.
Instead, I’m told, Siri features are likely to go into beta testing for developers in January and then debut publicly around the springtime — part of an iOS 18.4 upgrade that’s already in the works.
So it starts testing in January thru March as a guess.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I noticed the second time watching through that part of the keynote that they said it would be available in beta this summer. It seems like it will still officially be in beta when it’s released in fall as well, which creates confusion about when it will be available in beta.
Its would be available as a preview this summer, then would be beta after iOS 18 gets released is what I read.

Coming in beta this fall*
Apple Intelligence is free to use and will initially be available in U.S. English. Coming in beta this fall.*

Reactions: Kal Madda

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Did they say Siri specifically or Apple Intelligence? I can see them releasing other AI features this summer and others such as Siri waiting until next year.

Reactions: Kal Madda

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I don’t think this is news. I think it’s been pretty clear since WWDC that the Siri features would be the last to arrive. Gurman just needed something to say in his last newsletter before his vacation.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Did they say Siri specifically or Apple Intelligence? I can see them releasing other AI features this summer and others such as Siri waiting until next year.
I think we’ll see most of the other features during the summer betas (pre-iOS 18 release). Perhaps some will slip to the 18.1 or (more likely) the 18.2 betas. Then the Siri features in 18.3 with betas beginning in January.

Reactions: Paddle1

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Up first in 2024
Apple is rolling out a bunch of new AI features across its apps in iOS 18, including a way to summarize emails and generate responses. The company showed off its new Genmoji feature, letting you create custom emoji based on a text prompt, along with a new AI image generator called Image Playground.
Apple is bringing AI to the Photos app, too, giving you the ability to search for photos using natural language. You can also clean up objects in the background of your pictures, similar to Google’s Magic Eraser. Additionally, Apple is adding AI-powered transcriptions and summaries to Notes and the Phone apps.
Later in early 2025
Apple’s big push into AI also includes Siri. The upgraded voice assistant will now be integrated more deeply into the iPhone, appearing as a pulsating light on the edge of your device. It will give you more control over your apps, allowing you to ask the voice assistant to find information inside a particular email or even surface a photo of one of your friends. Apple is relying on LLMs to help Siri better understand what you say and keep track of follow-up requests and questions.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
I think it was about Apple Intelligence. I don’t know about Siri. 👍🏻

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
With beta 3 what do we expect to see? Enhanced mail, ai (doubtful)…

Coming this week. 😁
Apple Mail stuff will come in 18.1 or 18.2. We may see the other stuff (mainly the writing and priority notifications stuff) in beta 3. I would not bet against it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.