Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I had Crystal installed and decided to give Purify a try. Installed it and it blocks all of Macrumors.com. Not sure if it's my phone or a glitch?
It's neither. I was using Purify two days ago and Mac Rumors was fine - the issue started today, I think they're trying different things.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
It's neither. I was using Purify two days ago and Mac Rumors was fine - the issue started today, I think they're trying different things.
To be honest I was getting non loading pages on here with 1Blocker this afternoon and previously no problems at all. I'm betting it's the site...

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I find it difficult to believe this. I’ve seen comparisons on other websites and the performance difference is typically negligible. This is some misleading advertisement and just really lame advertising for an iOS developer. This nonsense puts me off.

I didn't test it. Purify developer chose Crystal as comparison because the app is the 1st in App Store Paid rank. OP mentioned he felt Purify faster so the graphs might not be so far from the truth. I would love to see a response from Crystal developer.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I didn't test it. Purify developer chose Crystal as comparison because the app is the 1st in App Store Paid rank. OP mentioned he felt Purify faster so the graphs might not be so far from the truth. I would love to see a response from Crystal developer.

I know that you didn’t test it yourself, I saw that you mentioned a source. I should have clarified, I’m sorry.

I came across this test this morning which paints a completely different picture as far as Crystal and Purify are concerned and it also demonstrates something else when you compare both to Blockr:
output_5MbLxi.gif

The problem with these comparisons is this: iOS blocking extensions have no control over the execution in Safari beyond specifying what is in the block list. This means that the only two measures that affect the performance of a blocker on a given website are: the size of the block list (and the speed at which the processor can execute the string matching) and the inclusion of relevant trackers/scripts.

When Purify claims that it loads almost twice as fast as Crystal then this either means that their block list is significantly smaller (which is unlikely and if it were true the difference wouldn’t be that huge on powerful devices like the iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2) or that their block list contains more relevant trackers/scripts that Crystal might have missed, resulting in faster page loads due to blocking of additional trackers. In the latter case it would be easy for Purify to optimise the result so that it performs well on selected websites, which renders the entire comparison moot. Crystal could do exactly the same and it wouldn’t help the average user at all.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
1Blocker is almost a full featured (with in app purchase of $2.99) content blocker designed for users who want to have more control of their internet viewing experience.

1Blocker app design - A+

Of all the content blockers I have reviewed thus far, 1Blocker stands on top of the rest. The app colors (black and purple) are easy on the eyes, and the design layout boasts a well thought out refined look and feel.

Once enabled, the main app screen offers two user options; "About" and "Custom" (left and right corner respectively).

Engaging the "About" option affords one the following abilities

1) Feedback & Feature Request - opens up the in app email to the developer
2) Please Rate 1Blocker - Takes you directly to the app store
3) FAQ - Frequently asked questions and answers that include "Blockers don't seem to work?, How to create custom blockers?, Is this secure?, Does 1Blocker work with Wi-Fi, VPN, and cellular connections?, Does 1Blocker run in the background all the time?, and What's up with empty spaces?"
4) About - Tells the user who developed the app, web editor, as well as others involved in the creation and testing of the app, and a list of open-source components used in the app.

Engaging the "Customize" option affords one the following toggle abilities

Preinstalled
1) Block Ads
2) Block Trackers
3) Block Twitter Widgets
4) Block Facebook Widgets
5) Block Other Share Widgets
6) Block Custom Web Fonts
7) Block Adult Sites

Configurable
1) Block URLs
2) Block Cookies
3) Hide Page Elements

Custom
Small grey plus icon "Custom Packages" - In brief, it explains that if you want to create custom blocker packages, you do so via their online web editor, (linked above) then send the file to your iOS deice and select 1Blocker from the "Open in" menu.

In regards to the "Custom Packages" icon, it looked to me as if engaging the icon in the presentation would open up another window. I contacted the developer inquiring about the portion of the screen, and he informed me that it had been a point of confusion and that portion of the screen would be clarified in a subsequent update.

The following was taken directly from the developer's website.

"Description

• 7,000 preinstalled blockers.
• Cut your mobile browsing data in half or more.
• Easily create your own custom blockers (hide page elements, block sites and cookies).

1Blocker is a content blocker that makes it easy to block ads and tracking scripts by just flipping a switch. It is time to stop ad networks and analytics providers build deep profiles about you across the web.

In addition to ad blocking, you can also block various social widgets, share buttons, custom web fonts, adult sites, and more. Preinstalled blockers update automatically from our servers.

1Blocker also enables you to create your own blockers: either configure blockers on-the-go using simple built-in editor or create completely custom blocker packages using our advanced web editor.

In our tests, enabling 1Blocker decreased page loading time and total downloaded data on average by 50%. 1Blocker will save not only your battery life, but also your mobile data traffic.

1Blocker is not a proxy server, we don't see what web pages you visit, which is just how it should be."

...More
1Blocker - Block ads, tracking scripts, anything Support
Screenshots
iPhone iPad

screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

1Blocker ad-blocking - C+

1Blocker's blocking power was tested using the following websites with all toggles engaged: Time Magazine, CNN,**** Yahoo,*** Macrumors,**** Amazon,*** Fox News, Huffington Post, iMore, The Verge, National Geographic, Crackle,**** Forbes Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, Kat.cr, The Pirate...***** MacWorld,** MSNBC, Apple, Ebaums World, ImDB, YouTube, Hotels.com, Digiday, Reddit, Craigslist (local), Cult of Mac, blog.buttermouth.

Unless otherwise noted by the * symbol, all sites loaded correctly without any pop ups or blank advertising boxes.
* Site did not load
** Site loaded correctly but clicking links on main page or subsequent page didn't work.
*** Site loaded correctly but did not block all ad(s) on main page or subsequent site pages.
**** Site did not correctly load all non ad page elements (e.g. pictures, video, text etc.)
***** Site loaded correctly with no ads or pop ups. Empty advertisement blocks were noted.
****** Site loaded correctly but did not stop pop up message or redirects.

Test results with only toggles 1,2,3,4,7,8 engaged: Time Magazine, CNN****, Yahoo,*** Macrumors, Amazon, Fox News, Huffington Post,***** iMore, The Verge, National Geographic,***** Crackle, Forbes Magazine, The Wall Street Journal,**** Kat.cr, The Pirate...****** MacWorld,** MSNBC, Apple, Ebaums World, ImDB, YouTube, Hotels.com, Digiday, Reddit, Craigslist (local), Cult of Mac, blog.buttermouth.

Unless otherwise noted by the * symbol, all sites loaded correctly without any pop ups or blank advertising boxes.
* Site did not load.
** Site loaded correctly but clicking links on main page or subsequent page didn't work.
*** Site loaded correctly but did not block all ad(s) on main page or subsequent site pages.
**** Site did not correctly load all non ad page elements (e.g. pictures, video, text etc.)
***** Site loaded correctly with no ads or pop ups. Empty advertisement blocks were noted.

With 1Blocker, sponsored ads are not blocked nor is there any Whitelisting ability, which seems rather odd to me, given all the built in features.

And speaking of features, it can be frustrating to try and find an ad-free, correctly rendered balance between the different toggles and perusing the internet. What works for one site you frequent may not work with another. And before you know it, you find yourself at 1Blocker's site creating all kinds of different rules per website (at times) to send to your phone. At some point, one might start asking, 'Isn't a content blocker supposed to make internet easier?' While creating basic custom rules is not hard, I don't believe one should have to spend time tweaking the app every day, because website styles and functions change.

I like the idea of bringing more customization to content blockers. At the same time, doing too much (generically) with toggled rules can present unintended problems. And that is where I find myself with 1Blocker. The premise is good, but the execution really hampers what could be a really good content blocker.

1Blocker speed - B

I didn't notice any overt lagging or stalling when loading websites. While I didn't get the stopwatch out, I found the load times to be in line with Crystal, Freedom, Admop, and Adblock-Multi.

1Blocker price & developer contact - B

In my opinion, 1Blocker's price is in line with a lot of the other paid content blockers. The developer has been prompt to respond to questions from me, which says a lot, in my opinion.

1Blocker overall rating - B

If you don't mind spending time creating custom rules, trying to find the right toggle combinations that work for your needs, or the fact that there is no Whitelisting or blocking of sponsored ads, 1Blocker may fit your internet usage like a glove.

I think 1Blocker has potential. Some revamping and further consideration of purpose versus execution may be in order, to get this content blocker to a point where it can be embraced by a larger customer base.

Last edited:

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015
so, 1blocker is sh*t.... you have to do all the work and in the end it doesn't block sponsored ads and is slow as hell.

Reactions: DJTaurus

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
so, 1blocker is sh*t.... you have to do all the work and in the end it doesn't block sponsored ads and is slow as hell.
I didn't say it was "slow as hell." I also didn't say it was crap. I did say that one (more than likely) needs to be willing to fine tune the capabilities of 1Blocker, (such as they are) in order to achieve one's internet goals.

Remember, one size does not fit all with content blockers. Each person has different needs, expectations and abilities. All I did was bring to the forefront what I believe are important considerations with the use of 1Blocker.

dammerl

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Europe
1Blocker is almost a full featured (with in app purchase of $2.99) content blocker designed for users who want to have more control of their internet viewing experience.

1Blocker app design - A+

Of all the content blockers I have reviewed thus far, 1Blocker […]

Thanks for the deep review.

It’s indeed a nice blocker, but missing sponsored-ads blocking and whitelisting pulls it out of any competition —for the moment. Looking forward.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
So to summarize for now, it looks like Purity is still the overall best paid content blocker available, while on the free side the crown looks to be held by Admop.

So I believe that the tiers of as now would look something like this:

Tier A
Purify ($2.99)
Ad Block Multi ($0.99)

Tier B+
Admop (free)
BlockBear ($2.99)

Tier B
Freedom (free)
Crystal ($0.99)
1Blocker (free in in-app purchase of $2.99)

Tier C
Adamant (free with in-app purchase of $1.99)
Ad-blocker for Safari (free with multiple in-app purchases of various pricing)
Blockr ($0.99)

Tier F
Vivio (free)

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
The reason why Silentium might be holding off providing a copy for test is because the 1.0.1 version coming has speed improvements apparently....

Last edited:

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I didn't say it was "slow as hell." I also didn't say it was crap. I did say that one (more than likely) needs to be willing to fine tune the capabilities of 1Blocker, (such as they are) in order to achieve one's internet goals.

Remember, one size does not fit all with content blockers. Each person has different needs, expectations and abilities. All I did was bring to the forefront what I believe are important considerations with the use of 1Blocker.

Hi, can you please test Safari Blocker (Free)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/safari-blocker/id1011678834?ls=1&mt=8

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Refine is a free content blocker aimed towards giving the user a little more control over what he or she sees on internet webpages.

Refine app design – C

The design is straight-forward with one main page for controlling settings. The colors of the app (light blue and light black) are not hard on the eyes. What is hard on the eyes, is the size of the description font. It is way too small, in my opinion. It would have been better to have two pages for the user to toggle, versus trying to cram the app onto one page.

In regards to user control, Safari Blocker has 2 main control toggles, in addition to the ability to create rules in the app for popups, html and css, as well as several other webpage blocking options.

Pressing the + sign brings up the app search, whereby the user can input a search for a specific kind of blocker. If one is available, it can be easily added to the app.

If you like to take a proactive role in your internet surfing, you can create your own blocking rules in the app. You also have the option of keeping your custom rules private, or sharing them with others.

Whitelisting ability is available. Unfortunately, there is no in app feedback ability at this point in time.

*Picture taken from iTunes app summary

Refine blocking power - A

Using default settings with no extra filters added, sponsored ads were not blocked (on iPhone but were on iPad) on Yahoo, although it looks like it may be possible with a little fine tuning or downloading one of the filter list.

Safari Blocker’s blocking power was tested using the following websites with both main toggles engaged: Time Magazine, CNN,Yahoo, Macrumors, Amazon, Fox News, Huffington Post,***** iMore, The Verge, National Geographic, Crackle, Forbes Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, Kat.cr, The Pirate... MacWorld,** MSNBC, Apple, Ebaums World, ImDB, YouTube, Hotels.com, Digiday, Reddit, Craigslist (local), Cult of Mac, blog.buttermouth.

Overall, I was pleased with the blocking power of Safari Blocker. I did not take the time to load extra filters or create any custom block rules. It looks like the casual 'under the hood internet mechanic' can achieve positive results in a simpler and quicker fashion with Safari Blocker, than 1Blocker.

If i get time, I will spend some time under Safari Blocker's hood, and test the plethora of filters available, as well as creating custom blocks. For now, I will leave the tinkering to others.

* Site did not load

Refine speed - B

Webpage loading was typical of what has been seen with Crystal, Freedom, Adblock-Multi etc. I did not see any lagging or other kind of webpage rendering problems.

Note: Your usage may vary from mine, due to various factors. Don't get hung up with the grade. Test it for yourself.

Refine price and developer contact - A

You can't beat the price (free). I did not contact the developer prior to review. However, it does look like he tries to stay active and responsive on his website. You can report problems or other related questions about the app here.

Refine overall rating - B+

Safari Blockler is not as nice to look at as 1Blocker, and isn't as refined as some of the other apps. On the plus side, it does a very good job of blocking ads out of the box. For those looking for a solid free app, Safari Blocker is definitely one I recommend.

Edited to add: Amended review to reflect that sponsored ads were blocked on iPad, but not on iPhone 6.

Last edited:

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Safari Blocker (released 9.21.15) is a free content blocker aimed towards giving the user a little more control over what he or she sees on internet webpages.

Safari Blocker app design – C

The design is straight-forward with one main page for controlling settings. The colors of the app (light blue and light black) are not hard on the eyes. What is hard on the eyes, is the size of the description font. It is way too small, in my opinion. It would have been better to have two pages for the user to toggle, versus trying to cram the app onto one page.

In regards to user control, Safari Blocker has 2 main control toggles, in addition to the ability to create rules in the app for popups, html and css, as well as several other webpage blocking options.

Pressing the + sign brings up the app search, whereby the user can input a search for a specific kind of blocker. If one is available, it can be easily added to the app.

If you like to take a proactive role in your internet surfing, you can create your own blocking rules in the app. You also have the option of keeping your custom rules private, or sharing them with others.

Whitelisting ability is available. Unfortunately, there is no in app feedback ability at this point in time.

*Picture taken from iTunes app summary

Safari Blocker blocking power - A

Using default settings with no extra filters added, sponsored ads were not blocked on Yahoo, although it looks like it may be possible with a little fine tuning or downloading one of the filter list.

Safari Blocker’s blocking power was tested using the following websites with both main toggles engaged: Time Magazine, CNN,Yahoo, Macrumors, Amazon, Fox News, Huffington Post,***** iMore, The Verge, National Geographic, Crackle, Forbes Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, Kat.cr, The Pirate... MacWorld,** MSNBC, Apple, Ebaums World, ImDB, YouTube, Hotels.com, Digiday, Reddit, Craigslist (local), Cult of Mac, blog.buttermouth.

Overall, I was pleased with the blocking power of Safari Blocker. I did not take the time to load extra filters or create any custom block rules. It looks like the casual 'under the hood' internet mechanic' can achieve positive results in a simpler and quicker fashion with Safari Blocker, than 1Blocker.

If i get time, I will spend some time under Safari Blocker's hood, and test the plethora of filters available, as well as creating custom blocks. For now, I will leave the tinkering to others.

* Site did not load

Safari Blocker speed - B

Webpage loading was typical of what has been seen with Crystal, Freedom, Adblock-Multi etc. I did not see any lagging or other kind of webpage rendering problems.

Note: Your usage may vary from mine, due to various factors. Don't get hung up with the grade. Test it for yourself.

Safari Blocker price and developer contact - A

You can't beat the price (free). I did not contact the developer prior to review. However, it does look like he tries to stay active and responsive on his website. You can report problems or other related questions about the app here.

Safari Blocker overall rating - B+

Safari Blockler is not as nice to look at as 1Blocker, and isn't as refined as some of the other apps. On the plus side, it does a very good job of blocking ads out of the box. For those looking for a solid free app, Safari Blocker is definitely one I recommend.

Another great review, thank you! Fingers crossed for Silentium then!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.