Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
More of a testament to the iOS 7.1.2 team or even better the iOS 6.1.3 team.
I never used them so can't comment but it's amazing how an OS update can ruin a phone this much.In my personal opinion iOS 8.4.1 was even better than Android Nougat in speed
Or the number of crashes and springboard restarts. :rolleyes:
Zero crashes on iOS 8.So far 1 crash on iOS 10 and 5 crashes on iOS 9

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I never used them so can't comment but it's amazing how an OS update can ruin a phone this much.In my personal opinion iOS 8.4.1 was even better than Android Nougat in speed

And yet it seems they plenty of other people had fairly different experiences with iOS 8 and earlier versions of iOS (that you didn't use).

But, once again, all things that have been covered many times before.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
And yet it seems they plenty of other people had fairly different experiences with iOS 8 and earlier versions of iOS (that you didn't use).

But, once again, all things that have been covered many times before.
Maybe.I am listing my own experiences when I say that iOS 8.4.1 is so far the best

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

My ipad crashed constantly on ios 8, phone less so. While IOS 8 never rendered my phone useless the number of springboard restarts were excessive and annoying. No crashes on ios 9. There are some glitches that need to be worked out in IOS 10, but overall I give the release a thumbs up.
Maybe.I am listing my own experiences when I say that iOS 8.4.1 is so far the best
Maybe we all are.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
My ipad crashed constantly on ios 8, phone less so. While IOS 8 never rendered my phone useless the number of springboard restarts were excessive and annoying. No crashes on ios 9. There are some glitches that need to be worked out in IOS 10, but overall I give the release a thumbs up.

Maybe we all are.
I didn't even know what a springboard crash was until you told me

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Really? I find that hard to believe.

For real.iOS 8 has never crashed on me.You think I am lying but it's the truth .

So now we're back to discussing the masses?

Yes.iOS 9 has more lag than iOS 8.iOS 10 is smoother than iOS 9.People who used both iOS 10 and 8 know 9 was the Windows Vista of iOS .I have the polls and videos to back me up

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You say that, but then you apply them to everyone and everything else in plenty of other posts with a lot of generalizations, hyperbole, and all kinds of other things. Which is all, once again, everything that has already been covered plenty of times before.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For real.iOS 8 has never crashed on me.You think I am lying but it's the truth .

Yes.iOS 9 has more lag than iOS 8.iOS 10 is smoother than iOS 9.People who used both iOS 10 and 8 know 9 was the Windows Vista of iOS .I have the polls and videos to back me up
You have nothing but the same tired Youtube videos or polls from sept 15, a year ago, to back up that assertion. Let's compare iOS 8.4.1 with 9.3.5. iOS 8 was and I hate to say it, the worse release. iOS 9 never crashed on me the way iOS 8 did.

And I believe you it's not my experience or what I believe most users experience was. But as @C DM said back to the future with this discussion.

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
You have nothing but the same tired Youtube videos or polls from sept 15, a year ago, to back up that assertion. Let's compare iOS 8.4.1 with 9.3.5. iOS 8 was and I hate to say it, the worse release. iOS 9 never crashed on me the way iOS 8 did.

And I believe you it's not my experience or what I believe most users experience was. But as @C DM said back to the future with this discussion.
While it's true iOS 8 is way more unstable (and causing tonnes of resprings), iOS 9 is laggier in terms of UI and overall responsiveness, nothing to argue here. (With reduce motion and reduce transparency OFF.)

Reactions: Radon87000

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
The whole point of this thread is to discuss/explore/reveal/understand how Apple is making iOS slower in responsiveness where input-blocking is concerned. Whether the masses are bothered significantly, little or none, is hard or impossible to know for sure.

But facts are facts, and iOS 8.4.1 had better responsiveness in cases where input-blocking is concerned, thats 100% a fact, this video doesn't lie, iOS9/iOS10 is consistently a second or so slower for each tap interaction when this type of 'edit' scenario comes up for example:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

iOS 8.4.1 vs iOS 9.3.4 .Notice how 8.4.1 destroys iOS 9 in this test.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The whole point of this thread is to discuss/explore/reveal/understand how Apple is making iOS slower in responsiveness where input-blocking is concerned. Whether the masses are bothered significantly, little or none, is hard or impossible to know for sure.

But facts are facts, and iOS 8.4.1 had better responsiveness in cases where input-blocking is concerned, thats 100% a fact, this video doesn't lie, iOS9/iOS10 is consistently a second or so slower for each tap interaction when this type of 'edit' scenario comes up for example:

I especially notice it when I'm trying to use the phone quickly. For example, if I'm messaging several people in different threads, having to back out of each one to go into the next takes forever because it's always ignoring my taps.

Far worse than lag is when the system ignores an action. It leaves you waiting to see if it worked, then have to retry.

iOS 5/6 were still by far the fastest when it came to OS navigation and input blocking. I put iOS 6 back on my iPhone 4S (use it as an iPod at the gym) and it is much faster in that respect than my iPhone 6 on iOS 9.

iOS 7.0 was the absolute worst, though. Unbearable, especially when your muscle memory was adjusted to the faster versions. It wasn't until 7.1 that most people would admit it was a serious problem with 7.0.

Reactions: trifid

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I especially notice it when I'm trying to use the phone quickly. For example, if I'm messaging several people in different threads, having to back out of each one to go into the next takes forever because it's always ignoring my taps.

Far worse than lag is when the system ignores an action. It leaves you waiting to see if it worked, then have to retry.

iOS 5/6 were still by far the fastest when it came to OS navigation and input blocking. I put iOS 6 back on my iPhone 4S (use it as an iPod at the gym) and it is much faster in that respect than my iPhone 6 on iOS 9.

iOS 7.0 was the absolute worst, though. Unbearable, especially when your muscle memory was adjusted to the faster versions. It wasn't until 7.1 that most people would admit it was a serious problem with 7.0.
When Jobs was around all releases were awesome because he lit a fire under everyone's ass.I heard he scrapped the design for the original iPhone over 100 times before accepting one.In Timmy's world everyone is enjoying the spaceship campus sipping coffee while Working out how to make more watch bands

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
When Jobs was around all releases were awesome because he lit a fire under everyone's ass.I heard he scrapped the design for the original iPhone over 100 times before accepting one.In Timmy's world everyone is enjoying the spaceship campus sipping coffee while Working out how to make more watch bands

I suspect there's some truth to that.

Jobs was a difficult person to work for because he expected so much, and it delivered results.

Cook is said to be a good person to work with, but dat Mac lineup tho. o_O

Reactions: trifid

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's why there was the while "antenna-gate" and how he responded to it. And that's why there were still bugs present and updates that brought systems down. Pretending to live in an imaginary world is fun though.

Reactions: I7guy

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That's why there was the while "antenna-gate" and how he responded to it. And that's why there were still bugs present and updates that brought systems down. Pretending to live in an imaginary world is fun though.
Antenna Gate?Is that all?How about Timmy's Bendgate,SOC Gate then the Touch Disease fiasco,Error 53,1977 update brick and YET AGAIN another update bricking of iOS devices

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/13/ios-...ds-for-some-users-requires-itunes-to-restore/

I am starting to lose count of how many times iOS is starting to brick devices ever since Tim took over.Whats funny is that I was on the dev as well as public beta and nothing of this sort ever happened once and on a public release phone bricked.Even Android isnt this bad.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Antenna Gate?Is that all?How about Timmy's Bendgate,SOC Gate then the Touch Disease fiasco,Error 53,1977 update brick and YET AGAIN another update bricking of iOS devices

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/13/ios-...ds-for-some-users-requires-itunes-to-restore/

I am starting to lose count of how many times iOS is starting to brick devices ever since Tim took over.Whats funny is that I was on the dev as well as public beta and nothing of this sort ever happened once and on a public release phone bricked.You had one job Tim
So basically there were issues under Jobs as well, and "all releases were awesome" simply wasn't the case. Thanks for confirming and showing that your own statements don't hold up (and are basically just typical hyperbole and deflections as usual).

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So basically there were issues under Jobs as well, and "all releases were awesome" simply wasn't the case. Thanks for confirming and showing that your own statements don't hold up (and are basically just typical hyperbole and deflections as usual).
Talking about deflections,Antennagate is software?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Talking about deflections,Antennagate is software?
You are actually trying to imply that when you said "When Jobs was around all releases were awesome because he lit a fire under everyone's ass.I heard he scrapped the design for the original iPhone over 100 times before accepting one." your opinion was limited to just software and hardware was somehow not included even though you specifically related it all to hardware with the design comment that was clearly included there, and even though it's beyond obvious what you were saying there wasn't somehow meant to be limited to just software somehow? Seriously?

Now that is an amazing example of an attempted deflection and a rather obvious attempt to try to twist things right there. It's all so transparent that it's really beyond silly, and has been that way for a long long time. There's really no point of digging there anymore, seems like the other side of the planet has been reached already with all that digging.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015

This! Finally someone who's right for the first time!
iOS 7 was absolute terrible... apparently. They introduced the new design.

How can anyone say that iOS 8 is the best?
iOS 6 is the best ever! Have you compared iOS 6 with iOS 7, 8 or 9?
It's amazing speed wise

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Further proof of planned obsolescence

gt18yeO.png

gt18yeO.png
[/IMG]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.