Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
I was wondering if I'm alone in a world of 100 million iPhone users that find this quite annoying... on iOS9 it seems to impose a 1 second delay or so every time I switch from a screen to the home screen and try to tap an icon. The icon will not respond to input for that 1 second or so. So I usually tap 2-3 times before it responds. iOS 8.4.1 didn't have this issue, it let me tap on icons immediately.

Please note this is more noticeable when using reduce motion on, which gives you a faster fade in/out transition effect rather than the default zooming.

My typical usage and why I find it annoying is because when multitasking, ie you switch apps and go to home screen to tap another, I usually end up tapping 2-3 times the same icon, because it won't respond the first time. iOS 8.4.1 was beautiful in this regard, it always responded on first tap.

I have confirmed this behavior on the newest hardware 6s, on both mine and the 6s at the Apple stores as well as iPads, so I'm 100% this is new behavior on iOS9 and not a bottleneck on hardware, it just seems coded to have this delay.

Also note that this doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, my 5s responds immediately to taps on 8.4.1, while the 6s delays a second or so under iOS9 before it lets input reach the icon.

Thoughts?

Edit: the user Act3 posted these videos which show exactly what I'm referring to (thanks!):

Update Jan 13, 2016:

Thanks to user comments here and my own observations I was able to compile a list of cases where input is blocked/allowed during animations. I think this is useful in identifying, these are cases where workflow is disrupted and the user may have to tap 2 or 3 times to continue interaction with device. These all pertain to iOS 9.0-9.2:

#Input-Blocking animations (bad!):
Zooming/fade-in-out to home screen animation (blocks tapping on apps, 3d touch and sliding screens) (this input blocking was added in iOS9, it wasn't present in iOS 8.4.1)
3D-touch, lock screen to home screen animation (for example, user tries unlocking iPhone and immediately 3d-touching on Phone to call one of his favorite contacts, but iOS blocks input resulting in user having to re-do the 3D touch action)

Editing animation for example when you tap on edit in Mail app or Clock app and immediately try to edit an item (this input blocking was added in iOS9, it wasn't present in iOS 8.4.1):

Scrolling animation + input field iOS9.2 vs iOS5.1.1 (thank you @perfect_ for this link)

Rubber-banding scrolling animation (blocks tapping, 3d touch) when you scroll to the end of a list, and quickly tap the last item in the list, your input won't register until the rubber-band animation stops animating.
Notification/Widget panel sliding animation - for example with widgets (I have philips hue buttons in notifications panel), one has to double or triple tap in order to register, because usually the first tap won't register due to input-blocking.
iOS9 folders animation (only tapping outside) (blocks tapping, 3d touch)
Back/Forward animation (blocks tapping, 3d touch) - example, Mail, tap inbox and tap first message fast, it won't register.
From lock screen to home screen animation: no 3d touch allowed (very important use case, whenever you take your phone out and unlock it, the transition to home screen does allow tap input during animation, which is good, but it doesn't allow 3d touch = bad)

#Input-Allowed animations (good!):
Control Center
(stuff like flashlight, camera are immediately available, no input blocking, good!)
iOS9 folders animation (only when closing a folder and immediately trying to open another)
Tapping home button when you are on a home screen other than page 1
- for example if you are in page 5 of your home screens, it brings you back to home screen page 1, but you can interrupt it and it will allow input during animation.
From lock screen to home screen animation: tap allowed, but not 3d touch(very important use case, whenever you take your phone out and unlock it, the transition to home screen does allow input during animation, which is good, but it doesn't allow 3d touch = bad)
Zooming/fade-in-out to home screen animation: when invoked via pinch gesture only confirmed in 9.3 b2 (thanks Act3 and Jayson A), if you use pinch gesture to go to the home screen rather than home button and immediately try to tap an icon your input isn't blocked.

Last edited:

kapp2

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
I have delays on my 6 plus then lungthing apps :/ After iOS 8 came out. The problem started on that iOS as well :/ iOS 7 response was very good :) !

Reactions: trifid

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have delays on my 6 plus then lungthing apps :/ After iOS 8 came out. The problem started on that iOS as well :/ iOS 7 response was very good :) !
It wasn't possible to have used iOS 7 on a 6+.

Reactions: Max(IT)

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
iOS 9.2 is better. Try it when it is released (should not be long now, perhaps maybe today). However, still not up to par to 8.4.1, so don't hold your breath.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Yup. Exactly everything you say is correct. I noticed this from day one with the first beta of iOS 9.0 on my i6. I don't know why they changed the springboard behavior. Having to wait for the animations to completely end before the touch input is recognized is terribly annoying. Why they don't change it back is beyond me and it s u c k s. It makes things feel clunky and slow when it used to feel so fluid and much faster.

I really wonder if it has or had something to do with force touch? But then again try opening a folder then closing it then opening a folder again quickly... The 8.4.1 behavior STILL WORKS in 9 but only with folders!!

So yes I agree it's coded this way possibly intentionally or accidentally.

Anybody who says they don't have this happening just doesn't notice it and I envy them.

Last edited:
Reactions: trifid and Act3

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I was wondering if I'm alone in a world of 100 million iPhone users that find this quite annoying... on iOS9 it seems to impose a 1 second delay or so every time I switch from a screen to the home screen and try to tap an icon. The icon will not respond to input for that 1 second or so. So I usually tap 2-3 times before it responds. iOS 8.4.1 didn't have this issue, it let me tap on icons immediately.

Please note this is more noticeable when using reduce motion on, which gives you a faster fade in/out transition effect rather than the default zooming.

My typical usage and why I find it annoying is because when multitasking, ie you switch apps and go to home screen to tap another, I usually end up tapping 2-3 times the same icon, because it won't respond the first time. iOS 8.4.1 was beautiful in this regard, it always responded on first tap.

I have confirmed this behavior on the newest hardware 6s, on both mine and the 6s at the Apple stores as well as iPads, so I'm 100% this is new behavior on iOS9 and not a bottleneck on hardware, it just seems coded to have this delay.

Also note that this doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, my 5s responds immediately to taps on 8.4.1, while the 6s delays a second or so under iOS9 before it lets input reach the icon.

Thoughts?
My 6s responds instantly and without delay regardless of any of the settings in the settings app.assuming the animations have settled down.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
My 6s responds instantly and without delay regardless of any of the settings in the settings app.assuming the animations have settled down.
Well sure. So does my 6 once the animations are 100% complete. That's what he's talking about here. The delay between transitions where the phone is not responsive to touch in iOS 9 where it once was in iOS 8.4.1.

New iOS users or 6S user who have never felt iOS 8.4.1 and below have no way of knowing what we are talking about. Or if you have never used your phone in a fast way.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well sure. So does my 6 once the animations are 100% complete. That's what he's talking about here. The delay between transitions where the phone is not responsive to touch in iOS 9 where it once was in iOS 8.4.1.

New iOS users or 6S user who have never felt iOS 8.4.1 and below have no way of knowing what we are talking about. Or if you have never used your phone in a fast way.
got it, that is the way iOS 9 is apparently, I started my apple career with iOS 4. I thought this stopped though in iOS 7.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Funny.Because a LARGE subset of 9to5mac users (around 75%) report iOS 9 slower than iOS 8

PROOF:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/18/is-your-iphone-slow-ios-9/
And that is still a tiny sub-group of even technical users let alone all users. It's proof that a lot of people who visit technical sites and comment or participate in polls on them will usually be ones that wish for things to be better no matter what and/or will usually be ones that nitpick things and find issues of one type or another. Similar to saying that because almost everyone that calls the support line of some company has an issue of some sort that means that the company's products are horrible. So while it's certainly likely that some people have some issues there isn't proof that everyone has the same issues and/or to the same degree and/or are affected by them.

Reactions: CB1234

Jukens

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Its a simple fact that in iOS 9.0+ they disabled touch input while the OS was in mid animation, forcing you to wait until it completes before registering any inputs. This is extremely obvious when you turn off animations and you are still required to wait before it registers your input, its a timed delay.

Reactions: trifid

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its a simple fact that in iOS 9.0+ they disabled touch input while the OS was in mid animation, forcing you to wait until it completes before registering any inputs. This is extremely obvious when you turn off animations and you are still required to wait before it registers your input, its a timed delay.
Seems to me that this has been like this since iOS 7 was released.

Reactions: Zirel

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Issue not present on a 5s running 7.0 or at least not as bad as 9 and above.

I have some missed taps in video but its from filming one hand and using the 5s in its display holder. Towards end of video it shows how responsive it is going in and out of applications. Especially those with icons on the dock.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Animations take a FRACTION of a second to complete. So to call it "unresponsive" is an exaggeration at best.
And there were same complaints about iOS 8 ...

Funny.Because a LARGE subset of 9to5mac users (around 75%) report iOS 9 slower than iOS 8

PROOF:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/18/is-your-iphone-slow-ios-9/
iOS 9 perceived as slower (or slightly slower) than iOS 8 doesn't mean it is unresponsive or laggy ...
And the poll is from 3 months ago, not related to iOS 9.1

Reactions: Zirel

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If we combine the categories that aren't "my phone is slower" they outnumber the "my phone is slower" by a few thousand votes. Btw, that is your "proof" an unscientific Internet poll?
Few thousands?What poll did you read?Let me break it down for you
iPhone is faster=3528 votes
Same as iOS 8=5066 votes
Little slower=9504 votes
Substantially slower=14071 votes

In other words approximately 23000 people feel iOS 9 is slower as compared to the 8000 odd who feel its as fast or faster
And yes the polls do matter.Its indicative of general opinion of people who actually comprehend tech.Not the casual users.Same as your "proof" when you said :
Only pretty well known to a small subset of macrumors posters.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Few thousands?What poll did you read?Let me break it down for you
iPhone is faster=3528 votes
Same as iOS 8=5066 votes
Little slower=9504 votes
Substantially slower=14071 votes

In other words approximately 23000 people feel iOS 9 is slower as compared to the 8000 odd who feel its as fast or faster

That poll of 30,000 votes show about 75% feel it is the same or slower, while Apple advertises it to be faster.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That poll of 30,000 votes show about 75% feel it is the same or slower, while Apple advertises it to be faster.
Big Macs also look completely different on TV than they do when someone gets them at McDonalds. Do people still go in circles consistently discussing that?

Reactions: Max(IT)

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
ios 9.1 vs 8.4.1 responsiveness. A couple videos I took a few weeks back. Both are with reduced animation on and iPhone 6

Wow, this is exactly what I'm describing, 100%, thank you for posting it it's extremely helpful. So the main issue as you show, is that we end up tapping 2-3 times the same app because the first tap is not recognized.

This is one reason I hated 3D touch on my iPhone 6s, because when I tried to switch fast from another screen and do 3D touch, it didn't register because iOS9 waits for animation to complete before allowing any input, whether tap or 3d touch.

The few ms or second or so that iOS9 blocks input until animation is completed significantly affects usage in my humble opinion.

The most ironic thing about this is that I believe this is entirely a software issue, not hardware, my 5s would respond immediately in 8.4.1, whereas my 6s with iOS9 would require multiple tap/3d touch making the experience more clunky.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Wow, this is exactly what I'm describing, 100%. The bottom line as you show, is that we end up tapping 2-3 times because the first tap is not recognized.

This is one reason I hated 3D touch on my iPhone 6s, because when I tried to switch fast from another screen and do 3D touch, it didn't register because iOS9 waits for animation to complete before allowing any input, whether tap or 3d touch.

The few ms or second or so that iOS9 blocks input until animation is completed significantly affects usage in my humble opinion.

The most ironic thing about this is that I believe this is entirely a software issue, not hardware, my 5s would respond immediately in 8.4.1, whereas my 6s with iOS9 would require multiple tap/3d touch making the experience more clunky.

Please submit feedback to Apple, I have. The more that do, the better chance of it getting changed back to how it was. It is definitely software, nothing hardware about it. My air 2 has same behavior after moving to iOS 9.2 beta 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.