Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Further proof of planned obsolescence

gt18yeO.png

gt18yeO.png
[/IMG]
Seems like the concept of what "proof" is, is still an unknown/ignored one.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Seems like the concept of what "proof" is, is still an unknown/ignored one.
Can you NOT see iOS 10 taking a longer time than iOS 9 by almost as much as 42% in some cases?Do you want me to post another slide where iOS 8.4.1 is just as much faster than iOS 9?Taken cumulatively do you know what this means?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can you NOT see iOS 10 taking a longer time than iOS 9 by almost as much as 42% in some cases?Do you want me to post another slide where iOS 8.4.1 is just as much faster than iOS 9?Taken cumulatively do you know what this means?
It certainly doesn't mean what you think it means just because you think so.

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Not related to input-blocking necessarily though it affects it indirectly, but I notice more stuttering and hiccups in real life usage with iOS10 than 9 when having stuff like maps or spotify in the background and multi-tasking (iPhone 5s). And using 3rd party keyboard gboard on iOS10 takes quite a hit too.
So that video above and most youtube videos don't truly show the real slowdowns, stuttering, etc.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Not related to input-blocking necessarily though it affects it indirectly, but I notice more stuttering and hiccups in real life usage with iOS10 than 9 when having stuff like maps or spotify in the background and multi-tasking (iPhone 5s). And using 3rd party keyboard gboard on iOS10 takes quite a hit too.
So that video above and most youtube videos don't truly show the real slowdowns, stuttering, etc.

Yeah, me too. It's not bad but let's wait for 10.1

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
'iPhone 7 World's fastest phone not as responsive as it could be due to input-blocking'

Reactions: Altis

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
And this is part of the reason of why I hate 3D touch:

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
And this is part of the reason of why I hate 3D touch:

In the world of long-press, 3D Touch doesn't make sense. I actually wish I could change 3D Touch actions to Long-press actions since I don't like pressing as hard as necessary to engage 3D Touch.

I find it quite laughable Apple simply replaced 3D Touch with Long-press to maintain compatibility on older phones (example: the send methods in messages).

I also know people who press that hard all the time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In the world of long-press, 3D Touch doesn't make sense. I actually wish I could change 3D Touch actions to Long-press actions since I don't like pressing as hard as necessary to engage 3D Touch.

I find it quite laughable Apple simply replaced 3D Touch with Long-press to maintain compatibility on older phones (example: the send methods in messages).

I also know people who press that hard all the time.
Unfortunately in all kinds of places where long press would be useful to simulate 3D Touch it's actually not being used like that.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
'iPhone 7 World's fastest phone not as responsive as it could be due to input-blocking'

Maybe share this post in the iPhone 7 forum to get more exposure on this. The more that see this and provide feedback to apple, greater chance of it getting it improved.

Last edited:

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Just wanted to do a quick follow up to this saga.

I've switched to an iPhone SE which came sealed with iOS9.3.3 out of the box. I went ahead and did a jailbreak since luckily that's the last version where it's possible.

I've installed two utilities:

1. Mikoto: removes input-blocking in the clock-app example and similar cases (though it doesn't work everywhere, Mail for example), and also disables the nagging update notifications.

2. Speed Intensifier: Speeds up and/or removes animations OS-wide. This is great! No more animation/input-blocking fiascos... for the most part.

iOS is now A LOT more livable. Only issue I'm now stuck in iOS9 until a jailbreak is made available for iOS10, if ever. But it's definitely worth it.

HePklgu.png

xzUlRui.png

8pzUd3X.png

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
An update on this saga... I currently installed iOS11 beta, and the input-blocking issue has been greatly improved! In particular when switching among apps fast, input is no longer dismissed while an animation is in progress.

There are improvements in animation speed in general, and also the splash icons animation has been replaced by a much snappier one.

Wow.

I can't believe Apple finally saw the light, it validates everything discussed in this thread. Incredible.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
An update on this saga... I currently installed iOS11 beta, and the input-blocking issue has been greatly improved! In particular when switching among apps fast, input is no longer dismissed while an animation is in progress.

There are improvements in animation speed in general, and also the splash icons animation has been replaced by a much snappier one.

Wow.

I can't believe Apple finally saw the light, it validates everything discussed in this thread. Incredible.
Really? Is it back to like the iOS 8.4 days? I guess I've trained my brain to wait and the animations in iOS 10 were quicker than 9 and it hasn't bothered me as much as it first did. But that sounds great. Still think I'll be leaving my 7 on iOS 10 though to keep the speed.

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Really? Is it back to like the iOS 8.4 days? I guess I've trained my brain to wait and the animations in iOS 10 were quicker than 9 and it hasn't bothered me as much as it first did. But that sounds great. Still think I'll be leaving my 7 on iOS 10 though to keep the speed.

If you can believe it it’s actually better than 8.4.1 when it comes to switching apps via home screen, because not only does it allow input through animation but also it will cancel animation if you interact fast enough.
[doublepost=1500391488][/doublepost]
I installed it too.

But still, there are areas where Apple still didn't fix input blocking

True, input-blocking is still present for example in the clock app and similar areas. I guess Apple engineers aren’t fast enough, it’ll take a while.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Act3

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
If you can believe it it’s actually better than 8.4.1 when it comes to switching apps via home screen, because not only does it allow input through animation but also it will cancel animation if you interact fast enough.
[doublepost=1500391488][/doublepost]

give it time, I'd bet someone already has turned this into Apple as a bug. Hopefully it will be like that when final release comes out.

Reactions: trifid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.