Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I get the 2018 iPad, or wait?

• Definitively buy, it’s more than enough

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Probably buy, should be fine

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • Maybe not, could be worth waiting

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • Absolutely wait, this thing is trash

Votes: 26 20.3%

• Total voters

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
2 GB will be fine for at least a few years. The only devices with more than 2 GB are the iPhones with large screens/dual cameras (widely regarded that the extra RAM is to help with the extra pixels and the portrait feature) and the 10.5/12.9 iPad Pros. There is no way that Apple will hobble the just-released iPad and iPhone 8 until at least iOS13.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Except that RAM is pretty much always the reason the device runs slow after just a few iOS versions.
To geeks and other special people, far more users don't give a flying frack. It works for them.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
NAND price have been going up because of crypto currency mining! Would not be surprise that Apple keeps the same amount of RAM as current models! Gone up a full $3 per 6GB LPDDR4! Of course Apple could downgrade it to LPDDR3. Current state of are is LPDDR5 and 6 is going but in limited supply!

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
2 GB will be fine for at least a few years. The only devices with more than 2 GB are the iPhones with large screens/dual cameras (widely regarded that the extra RAM is to help with the extra pixels and the portrait feature) and the 10.5/12.9 iPad Pros. There is no way that Apple will hobble the just-released iPad and iPhone 8 until at least iOS13.

Well iPad has bigger screen and higher resolution than iPhone 8 Plus. Yet it still have 2GB RAM!

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Last edited:

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
iPad Pro and 2018 iPad have ppi is the lowest of any Apple mobile device at around 264! That is pixels per inch(ppi). The Mini and iPhone 8 have 326 ppi and the 8+ 401 while the highest ppi is found in the X which is around 458 ppi. LOL!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density

Retina Display: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display

Even entry level iPad has more pixel count than iPhone X. Therefore, if someone make argument that iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X need 3GB RAM because bigger display and higher pixel, then iPad should have 3GB of RAM. This is clearly not the case.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Even entry level iPad has more pixel count than iPhone X. Therefore, if someone make argument that iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X need 3GB RAM because bigger display and higher pixel, then iPad should have 3GB of RAM. This is clearly not the case.

The X and 8+ are the most powerful Apple mobile device and needs at least 3GB LPDDR4 for the camera editing and video production/recording in HEVC and 120 hertz pro motion playback. The iPad Pro also has 3GB of LPDDR4. The other iPads only have 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM which is 4-5 times slower then the LPDDR4.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The X and 8+ are the most powerful Apple mobile device and needs at least 3GB LPDDR4 for the camera editing and video production/recording in HEVC and 120 hertz pro motion playback. The iPad Pro also has 3GB of LPDDR4. The other iPads only have 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM which is 4-5 times slower then the LPDDR4.
I believe from A9 onwards, they all have LPDDR4.

Recording doesn't require much RAM. Besides, I don't believe either iPhone 8+/X have ProMotion. iOS 11 still supports 1GB devices so 2GB is adequate considering the iPad's price point of $329. However, given the iPhone 8+ starts at $799 and the iPhone X starts at $999, merely being "adequate" just isn't good enough for these models.

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2017
Ipad Pro’s have 4GB of RAM.

Reactions: Skika

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
I would love a $329 iPad, but I'm not buying one with 2 GB of RAM. I want an iPad purchase to last for like 5 years and not start running like crap after 2 years because it doesn't have enough RAM.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I would love a $329 iPad, but I'm not buying one with 2 GB of RAM. I want an iPad purchase to last for like 5 years and not start running like crap after 2 years because it doesn't have enough RAM.

In fairness, my Air 1 is just recently feeling sluggish and I bought that brand new in 2013. Ive got 5 great years out of it and I can still sell it for a few bucks or trade it in at Best Buy and get $125 store credit(gauranteed minimum). Not bad.

Im not a power user though. No big photo editing, no movie editing, no art stuff, etc, etc. A little actual work type things with docs/spreadsheets and some heavy gaming for sure. Otherwise, streaming, forums, the usual stuff. I bet I can get another 5 years out of the 2018 iPad. But.... I do worry about that damned RAM. This weekend Im making my decision. The Best Buy trade in deal ends and so does my 10% off a single item coupon. :)

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
The RAM issue is exactly whats keeping me from upgrading my aging Air 1 to a 6th gen iPad base model. The problem is that I really dont need any of the "pro" features that you get with the 10.5" iPad except the damned RAM! :(

I so wish they just did the 4GB as a standard iPad "thing". But they dont and never will. Ill have to go to my local store and try one out, I guess. Even so, its frustrating.
As the poster above mentioned, I upgraded from my Air by using Best Buy’s “$130 for my Air” trade-in promotion. For $200, it’s a no-brainer. My Air was chugging along for a few years. The new iPad smokes it and I’m able to run iOS 11 efficiently (used iOS 9 on my Air).

Zero complaints for the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
As the poster above mentioned, I upgraded from my Air by using Best Buy’s “$130 for my Air” trade-in promotion. For $200, it’s a no-brainer. My Air was chugging along for a few years. The new iPad smokes it and I’m able to run iOS 11 efficiently (used iOS 9 on my Air).

Zero complaints for the price.

Great to hear. Im probably going to do the same thing since they have the trade-in program and I also have a 10% off one item coupon that will reduce the cost more. :)

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Great to hear. Im probably going to do the same thing since they have the trade-in program and I also have a 10% off one item coupon that will reduce the cost more. :)
Also, if you are able to use the student discount Apple was offering a similar trade-in deal. Would knock the price down to $309. I was too lazy to drive to the Apple store with Best Buy down the street.

Be careful at Best Buy! The 2018 box looks almost identical to the 2017 box. I had to return my first iPad due to a scratched screen. Both times purchasing they brought me the 2018 iPad instead of the 2017 iPad. Not a huge deal, but be aware that they’re messing this up. If the price rings up as $250, that’s no price mistake!

gc15

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012

When does the deal for trade in end? Also where can I get this 10% coupon?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I say again, it really seems to be the processor that determines the longevity of an iOS device. You can see it by comparing the many models with the same amount and type of RAM.

Reactions: sracer

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
When does the deal for trade in end? Also where can I get this 10% coupon?

I think the trade in deal goes until the end of the month. The coupon was sent to me via e-mail from best buy. Probably a rewards thing or whatever. Its not a posted coupon or anything like that.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
I say again, it really seems to be the processor that determines the longevity of an iOS device. You can see it by comparing the many models with the same amount and type of RAM.

I upgrade my iPhones too often for it to be an issue with them, but with my iPad 2, the constant reloading of apps and Safari tabs became FAR more annoying than the speed when the device got old, meaning the amount of RAM was the issue, not the processor.

Apple has been putting 2 GB of RAM in iPads since the Air 2 in 2014, and they are still sticking with that amount 4 YEARS LATER? The Air 2 processor may prove to be the bottleneck before its amount of RAM (maybe), but I just don’t see how the RAM in the 2018 iPad isn’t going to make it a crap experience long before the processor does. I bet the iPad 2018 is one of the last iOS devices to ship with 2 GB. I maintain that it’s a terrible time to buy a 2 GB iPad, especially if you want to get 4-5 years of use out of it. If you just want to use it for a year or two and then upgrade, I can see that, but I don’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunking101

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I upgrade my iPhones too often for it to be an issue with them, but with my iPad 2, the constant reloading of apps and Safari tabs became FAR more annoying than the speed when the device got old, meaning the amount of RAM was the issue, not the processor.

Apple has been putting 2 GB of RAM in iPads since the Air 2 in 2014, and they are still sticking with that amount 4 YEARS LATER? The Air 2 processor may prove to be the bottleneck before its amount of RAM (maybe), but I just don’t see how the RAM in the 2018 iPad isn’t going to make it a crap experience long before the processor does. I bet the iPad 2018 is one of the last iOS devices to ship with 2 GB. I maintain that it’s a terrible time to buy a 2 GB iPad, especially if you want to get 4-5 years of use out of it. If you just want to use it for a year or two and then upgrade, I can see that, but I don’t.
Again, us MacRumors forum members tend to be a picky bunch. I know several folks who still use older iPads (2+iOS 9, 3+iOS 9, 4+iOS 10, Air+iOS 11) and find their devices quite adequate if a bit slow when those would've driven me to distraction. Interestingly enough, my 50-tab browsing doesn't appear to be common behavior in my circle of acquaintances either. :p

Mind, I find reloading isn't quite as annoying when the device has fast enough CPU/GPU/storage/internet to accomplish the task fairly quickly.

Also, as mentioned, iPad Air was the last iPad to get 1GB RAM. While the Air 2 certainly did hold up much better over time (felt just as fast as launch even after 2 major firmware updates), the Air actually fared better than I expected it to. At the very least, for light usage (web browsing, email, etc), the Air is faster than a lot of PCs that still use spinning platters.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007

I can see Apple keeping 2GB of RAM in their budget lineup for the next few years. Apple, historically, only increases RAM when necessary. As long as iOS is able to manage RAM efficiently, I can see this being the trend for the next two models. They love their margins more than anything.

I wouldn’t delay upgrading the due to RAM unless Safari reloads are a big nuisance, in that case, maybe spend the extra dough for the more capable iPad.

Lastly, at $300 and change (less with trade-in), purchasing a new iPad every few years to remain current is an accomplishable task for many. Now that Apple provides a true budget model that “gets the job done”, I didn’t feel worried I’d be “left in the dust”. If I need to buy a new iPad in two years (I won’t), paying $300 again isn’t the end of the world. I’d actually be buying two iPads worth $650 over the course of three years....which is the price of the 10.5” anyways...

Reactions: rui no onna

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
The IPP 10.5 can be had new for $500 now. I sold my iPad Air on Swappa for $195, effectively paid $300 for the IPP.
This gives you 4GB RAM, better screen and processor plus 4 speakers etc.
And it will surely last four years before being obsolete.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

I do kind of agree with you here - hence my reluctance to go through with the trade in of my Air1 for the 2018 iPad. The deal is good - I can get $130 for my Air at BB. I also have a 10% off coupon which I can use. Its all "there" for me but everytime I get close to making the deal I back off. Ugh.

The thing is that my Air only has 1GB of RAM and I bought it new in 2013 so I did get 5 years out of it. It still works decently but its time to upgrade. The other catch is that I really want LTE support so that adds a lot to the cost of a 10.5 pro and the cellular models never go on sale. Ever. So, Im still mulling it over.... LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.