Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I get the 2018 iPad, or wait?

• Definitively buy, it’s more than enough

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Probably buy, should be fine

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • Maybe not, could be worth waiting

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • Absolutely wait, this thing is trash

Votes: 26 20.3%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Again, us MacRumors forum members tend to be a picky bunch. I know several folks who still use older iPads (2+iOS 9, 3+iOS 9, 4+iOS 10, Air+iOS 11) and find their devices quite adequate if a bit slow when those would've driven me to distraction. Interestingly enough, my 50-tab browsing doesn't appear to be common behavior in my circle of acquaintances either. :p

Mind, I find reloading isn't quite as annoying when the device has fast enough CPU/GPU/storage/internet to accomplish the task fairly quickly.

Also, as mentioned, iPad Air was the last iPad to get 1GB RAM. While the Air 2 certainly did hold up much better over time (felt just as fast as launch even after 2 major firmware updates), the Air actually fared better than I expected it to. At the very least, for light usage (web browsing, email, etc), the Air is faster than a lot of PCs that still use spinning platters.

Very true. Most iPad owners I know are still using an Air 1 or older. Why? Because they still work fine. They don’t even know or care how much RAM their device has. For most users an iPad with 2 GB of RAM will still be good for a number of years. For more discerning users, there’s the Pro line. That’s the whole point.

Langar

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2018
Bought the SE(64 gb) in 2016. Wanted an iPad and realised that even the Pro had only 2 gigs of ram (the same as the SE! Vell the 12.9 had 4, but the frame factor was too large for my use). Waited and bought the 10.5 in 2017. Very pleased with the IPP 2,but when heavely used over houres 4 gigs are just adequate. You can opt for more storage and pay more, but you can not opt for more Ram and pay more. Why?!

Reactions: kazmac

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Bought the SE(64 gb) in 2016. Wanted an iPad and realised that even the Pro had only 2 gigs of ram (the same as the SE! Vell the 12.9 had 4, but the frame factor was too large for my use). Waited and bought the 10.5 in 2017. Very pleased with the IPP 2,but when heavely used over houres 4 gigs are just adequate. You can opt for more storage and pay more, but you can not opt for more Ram and pay more. Why?!

It'd be great if you could pay more for a RAM bump. Yeah, that'd be sweet.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It'd be great if you could pay more for a RAM bump. Yeah, that'd be sweet.
Yeah, wish they'd offer versions with more RAM (even if they have to tie it to storage upgrades so they don't have a ton of iPad SKUs).

I remember looking at either Moto E or Moto G before and Motorola had a base model 1GB RAM/8GB storage and an upgraded model with 2GB RAM/16GB storage for $50 more.

Maybe Apple can have:

Model - RAM - Storage - Price

iPad 9.7 - 2GB - 32GB - $329
iPad 9.7 - 4GB - 128GB - $479

iPad Pro 10.5 - 4GB - 64GB - $649
iPad Pro 10.5 - 6-8GB - 256GB/512GB - $799/$999

iPad Pro 12.9 - 4GB - 64GB - $799
iPad Pro 12.9 - 6-8GB - 256GB/512GB - $949/$1149

Last edited:
Reactions: Langar and kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I'd like more RAM in the iPad Pro too. As for the 2018 iPad, this is in the back of my mind since I may need an iPad that size for assistance with work and school while on the go. I'd be using it more for annotations, notes, email and site surfing, and the occasional movie than anything else.

Reactions: muzzy996

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe Apple can have:

Model - RAM - Storage - Price

iPad 9.7 - 1GB - 32GB - $329
iPad 9.7 - 2GB - 128GB - $479
So cut the base model’s RAM in half without reducing price and add $50 to the price of the 128GB option without changing the device at all. Hmmm.

jbunker7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
OP here with an update. I bought the iPad 2018, just to try it out for Apple’s lovely 14-day return period. I was much more impressed than I initially expected. It more than meets my needs- a Pro likely would've not been worth it for my use cases. I mostly use an iPad for things like watching videos, and some light-to-moderate browsing in Safari. I have a very reliable MacBook Pro when I need to do more than that.

Safari tab refreshing is minimal when a handful of tabs are open. Especially compared to my iPad Mini 2. Plus, it’s a lot snappier- the A10 processor is a big improvement from my Mini’s A7 chip. The additional multitasking features are nice too. I’ve never extensively used a Pro, but I feel this iPad’s experience is not lacking without the “Pro” exclusive features.

All in all, I’m pleasantly surprised with this iPad so far. $329 was worth it in my opinion. Yeah, the amount of RAM probably will eventually render this obsolete. I’m going to avoid iOS updates on my iPad moving forward until I hear how they affect performance. If it comes down to spending ~$300 every 2-4 years, I won’t mind too much.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
OP here with an update. I bought the iPad 2018, just to try it out for Apple’s lovely 14-day return period. I was much more impressed than I initially expected. It more than meets my needs- a Pro likely would've not been worth it for my use cases. I mostly use an iPad for things like watching videos, and some light-to-moderate browsing in Safari. I have a very reliable MacBook Pro when I need to do more than that.

Safari tab refreshing is minimal when a handful of tabs are open. Especially compared to my iPad Mini 2. Plus, it’s a lot snappier- the A10 processor is a big improvement from my Mini’s A7 chip. The additional multitasking features are nice too. I’ve never extensively used a Pro, but I feel this iPad’s experience is not lacking without the “Pro” exclusive features.

All in all, I’m pleasantly surprised with this iPad so far. $329 was worth it in my opinion. Yeah, the amount of RAM probably will eventually render this obsolete. I’m going to avoid iOS updates on my iPad moving forward until I hear how they affect performance. If it comes down to spending ~$300 every 2-4 years, I won’t mind too much.

Glad to hear. I watched an artist’s video comparison, and the only quibble he had with the 2018 was the RAM hit a wall when you use layers in Procreate 9it would not work or crash). Considering that I am hitting walls on the 2017 iPP with the RAM for certain things, the RAM might be the only thing that stops me from getting a 2018. Granted, I would not be multitasking as much if I get the 2018, but drawing is the reason why I got the pencil in the first place.

For many use cases I think the 2018 would be perfect.

Not liking 11.3 at all. Makes my 12.92nd gen too warm and drains the battery even faster. I will definitely not update unless I absolutely have to going forward (as was the case with my updating to 11.3)

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
I will just say this: there have been several instances over the past month where I was editing or typing large amounts of texts and data into a text field in Safari, and next thing you know, I switch between tabs or apps, come back, and the page turns blank.

At that point you want to throw the device against the wall, but since then, I've learned my lesson. No intense Safari usage on my iPad, unless they start displaying a warning asking if I want to leave this page.

As was said before, 2 GB of ram simply isn't enough in 2018.

Reactions: sunking101

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I believe it would be fine. The iPad Air 2 has 2gb of ram and runs still excellent on iOS 12. I wouldn’t worry about it if you just are going to be using it for email, documents, and casual web browsing.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Well, there are 2GB devices sporting the A8, A9, A10, and even A11 chips. I doubt we’ll see them all lose support at the same time.

Even with 1GB, there are A6, A7, and A8 devices. The only ones not still supported are the A6. The A7 will probably not get iOS 12 this year, then the A8s go next year, and so on.

The A7 (in the iPad mini 2 at least) will get iOS 12 and the A8 is *still* a current processor. Even in the iPad mini 4 (the last A8 device aside from the HomePod) gets axed/updated this year, Apple won't drop support in a year. I can't think of an instance where they dropped support in less than three. Although some early Intel MacBooks were maybe only current for two...

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'd rather wait to see what Apple has in mind for next years budget iPad. Do they decide 2GB of Ram won't cut it with iOS 13 and decide to bump it to 3GB? It's tough to say but i'd rather wait. My original iPad Air runs great on iOS 11 and iOS 12 but that could be it for future iOS upgrades.

And lets not forget that iOS 13 is supposed to have a lot of things changed such as a new Home screen, IIRC.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have an iPad mini 4 with 2GB of ram and it’s ok. It’s not as good as my iPad Pro 10.5 but it’s still perfectly useable.

Reactions: kazmac

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
As a pro user, i would say no. 4Gb isnt even enough for me. YMMV

Can you expand where 4 GB can be limiting on iOS? Or even the 2 GB - what does a user have to do to encounter issues in a repeatable scenario?

Thanks!

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
Can you expand where 4 GB can be limiting on iOS? Or even the 2 GB - what does a user have to do to encounter issues in a repeatable scenario?

Thanks!

Well here is my scenario. I Make art in photoshop, Painter, sketchbook pro, for printing underpaintings that i later glaze in oils on my 60" printer, if I try to open these files in procreate to touch up or show client. "file size to big". Epic fail Apple . Its a RAM limitation, files open if i shrink them down. I Realized the ipad pro is for basic tasks and low resolution digital art. So, I bought a Mobile studio pro and hp zbook x2 for mobile art creation. I get 32gb ram and a MUCH better stylus......much faster and a more powerful system. I Kept ipad pro for light duty sketching/painting, or other basic uses. its nice and light but i dislike the pencil. My phone has 4gb RAM, lol. Its too bad i like procreate allot. But its gimped by the hardware. I cant finish paintings on a Ipad Pro.

actualjaguarsRGBweb.jpg

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Well here is my scenario. I Make art in photoshop, Painter, sketchbook pro, for printing underpaintings that i later glaze in oils on my 60" printer, if I try to open these files in procreate to touch up or show client. "file size to big". Epic fail Apple . Its a RAM limitation, files open if i shrink them down. I Realized the ipad pro is for basic tasks and low resolution digital art. So, I bought a Mobile studio pro and hp zbook x2 for mobile art creation. I get 32gb ram and a MUCH better stylus......much faster and a more powerful system. I Kept ipad pro for light duty sketching/painting, or other basic uses. its nice and light but i dislike the pencil. My phone has 4gb RAM, lol. Its too bad i like procreate allot. But its gimped by the hardware. I cant finish paintings on a Ipad Pro.

View attachment 781764

Thanks much for your examples from real life - appreciate it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The thing about the 2018 iPad and the 2017 before it is that they are the “every man” iPads, so to speak. They are meant to meet the needs of the average consumer, and not have them (the consumer or Apple) pay for anything that they don’t need. Most people, that is, the people who aren’t posting on iPad forums, will have no problem with 2GB of RAM on an iOS device. If you look at all the iOS devices that Apple is selling right now in 2018, most are 2GB. It is not in Apple’s best interest to screw over their costumers or have them be frustrated with their products. They know what specs are required to provide the user experience that is going to keep them in business.

If your demands are more than that of the average consumer, that’s why there are iPad Pros, and the iphones X and 8 Plus with more RAM. You buy the pants that fit, not a size too small and then say the designer short changed you.

Meh. 2GB of RAM is borderline unacceptable in 2018 hence this thread. Sure most people can struggle along with it pleased as punch at the Apple logo on the back of their device but what about longevity? I decided that 2GB of RAM on an iOS device was too little for me way back in 2016 and yet here we are in late 2018 and it's crippling their standard iPad. I was one of those who bought the reloading machine® iPhone 6 Plus so people who tell me that iOS doesn't need much RAM or that Apple 'optimise' iOS get short shrift from me.

Face it, most people who will be buying this iPAD will have no idea about RAM, what it does or the fact that their shiny new toy is already in its death throes straight out of the box. Those who do understand what RAM is will realise that this device is good for 12 months of light use, then it will be ancient tech.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Meh. 2GB of RAM is borderline unacceptable in 2018 hence this thread. Sure most people can struggle along with it pleased as punch at the Apple logo on the back of their device but what about longevity? I decided that 2GB of RAM on an iOS device was too little for me way back in 2016 and yet here we are in late 2018 and it's crippling their standard iPad. I was one of those who bought the reloading machine® iPhone 6 Plus so people who tell me that iOS doesn't need much RAM or that Apple 'optimise' iOS get short shrift from me.

Face it, most people who will be buying this iPAD will have no idea about RAM, what it does or the fact that their shiny new toy is already in its death throes straight out of the box. Those who do understand what RAM is will realise that this device is good for 12 months of light use, then it will be ancient tech.
That's quite a bit of hyperbole. I've been heavily using my 2018 iPad for 8 months or so... doing everything on it that I was able to do on my 4GB RAM 12.9 Pro. The only hiccup I've seen has been with Affinity Designer. It doesn't run well on the 2018 iPad but that is a function of how poorly it is coded (as other illustration software with comparable functionality runs just fine). And things have actually improved a bit with iOS 12 compared to 11.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That's quite a bit of hyperbole. I've been heavily using my 2018 iPad for 8 months or so... doing everything on it that I was able to do on my 4GB RAM 12.9 Pro. The only hiccup I've seen has been with Affinity Designer. It doesn't run well on the 2018 iPad but that is a function of how poorly it is coded (as other illustration software with comparable functionality runs just fine). And things have actually improved a bit with iOS 12 compared to 11.
I can't be doing with app and browser reloads.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My iPad mini 4 with 2GB of ram runs perfectly fine. I have the 10.5 inch Pro which has 4GB of ram and I don’t use either of them differently.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs

I’ve had no problems whatsoever with my 5th generation iPad and iPhone SE. Longevity is relative, as all devices will eventually need replacing. In my opinion, an aging processor will likely be evident first.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I understand people saying 2gb ram is fine... it's been a while since (for me) 2gb has been fine on iOS. If you don't do anything that requires extra memory then you don't need it. For me, once I lose information in form fields, I go nuts. Totally worth the upgrade to never have to experience that again. I switch through a lot of apps and need to carry over that information. 4gb barely cuts it

Reactions: sunking101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.