Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I get the 2018 iPad, or wait?

• Definitively buy, it’s more than enough

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Probably buy, should be fine

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • Maybe not, could be worth waiting

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • Absolutely wait, this thing is trash

Votes: 26 20.3%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Meh. 2GB of RAM is borderline unacceptable in 2018 hence this thread. Sure most people can struggle along with it pleased as punch at the Apple logo on the back of their device but what about longevity? I decided that 2GB of RAM on an iOS device was too little for me way back in 2016 and yet here we are in late 2018 and it's crippling their standard iPad. I was one of those who bought the reloading machine® iPhone 6 Plus so people who tell me that iOS doesn't need much RAM or that Apple 'optimise' iOS get short shrift from me.

Face it, most people who will be buying this iPAD will have no idea about RAM, what it does or the fact that their shiny new toy is already in its death throes straight out of the box. Those who do understand what RAM is will realise that this device is good for 12 months of light use, then it will be ancient tech.

That’s your perspective. I don’t find that I’m “struggling alone” at all. Nor do many other users I know. I was using an iPhone 6 with 1GB of RAM just over a year ago and it was fine. There are A LOT more casual users out there than power users. I work with people who still use pre-air iPads (ie. iPad 4). I ask them why they don’t upgrade, they say, “why? It still does everything I need.”

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That’s your perspective. I don’t find that I’m “struggling alone” at all. Nor do many other users I know. I was using an iPhone 6 with 1GB of RAM just over a year ago and it was fine. There are A LOT more casual users out there than power users. I work with people who still use pre-air iPads (ie. iPad 4). I ask them why they don’t upgrade, they say, “why? It still does everything I need.”
I find that most peculiar and wonder why these people buy expensive kit in the first place. I got the iPhone 6 Plus on launch day and within 2 weeks I wanted to sell it due to chronically insufficient RAM. Saying that your 1GB i6 was fine a year ago just shows to me that you and I are on different pages.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I find that most peculiar and wonder why these people buy expensive kit in the first place. I got the iPhone 6 Plus on launch day and within 2 weeks I wanted to sell it due to chronically insufficient RAM. Saying that your 1GB i6 was fine a year ago just shows to me that you and I are on different pages.

They buy “expensive kit” because it’s reliable and will last for several years.
Why do many people here buy expensive kit that they know they will replace in a year as soon as something better comes along?

As I said, the vast majority of people aren’t ‘power users’. I’m a tech enthusiast so I know my stuff, but my actual needs are pretty simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.