Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Another false assumption is that everyone with different opinion than yours is iPad mini user... (iP 6s Plus user here)

At the end of the day, I haven't seen a convincing argument in this thread that supports the theory Apple will update the iPad mini.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
At the end of the day, I haven't seen a convincing argument in this thread that supports the theory Apple will update the iPad mini.

I don't really see why anyone should expect to be convinced one way or another. It will either happen or it won't, and whichever way it goes it will likely be based on a multitude of factors that average consumers like you or I aren't even aware of.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Even if you ignore the Fiksu iPad usage data, Apple's actions already say it loud and clear. Do you really need to be spoon-fed information?

1. Apple introduced a $329 iPad.

Apple could have done either of two things: change price or add features. Clearly, Apple believes pulling the price lever in the consumer segment would sell more iPads. Apple didn't introduce a new iPad mini 5 or Air 3 with additional features. Price is what sold iPad mini and price is what will move the iPad (2017).

2. Apple discontinued the 32GB iPad mini 4.

If iPad mini were such a hot product, Apple would keep this product on the shelves. Apple killed this product because consumers are obviously price sensitive. Do you really think Apple would pull iPad mini if it thought consumers were still demanding a small tablet?

It's only "strange" to people who believe the iPad mini has a future.

I share the same opinion as Tim Cook and countless other analysts regarding the displacement of iPad mini due to phablets.

I think it's laughable you actually believe the iPad mini is struggling because of "lack of updated and interesting hardware." It's been more than 18 months since the launch of iPad mini 4. Turns out bensisko has the answer! I'm surprised no one at Apple or Samsung figured that out. All they needed to do was update the tech in the mini tablets! Or perhaps Tim Cook and countless others figured out few years ago that phablets were displacing mini tablets due to similarity in size and it wasn't the hardware features.
Apple didn't kill the iPad mini 4!! They killed the 32gb version it's now 64gb at lowest storage.

Reactions: mcrawley

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

At this point, I think the most probable outcome is that they treat it like the iPod touch. Keep it around and update the internals every few years. They're actually both relatively similar with the design, 6.1mm thickness and A8. Though pretty strange how the iPod has 4 storage options at the moment. Actually even more strange, just noticed the 128GB iPod touch is $399 like the 128GB iPad mini 4.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Did anyone see the ipad 2017 coming?

Kind of. There have been rumors of a "low cost" 9.7" iPad for a while, but these were in the same batch of the "bezel-less" Pro.
[doublepost=1494033857][/doublepost]
Do you always throw out data that you don't like or ignore big red flags? There's a sharp drop in iPad mini representation for Q1'17 and you ignore it? There were no iPad mini supply chain problems reported. Tim Cook mentioned just two days ago they underestimated demand for iPhone 7 Plus.

You know, it's funny because I was wondering the same thing about you (and no, I didn't ignore it, I pointed it out because it was different than otherwise a long term of fairly steady sales DESPITE the disappointing Mini 3).

Reactions: profets

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I think...

With the new iPhone 8 coming out later with most of the screen being utilised, we may see a new line up of iPads being released without much of a bezel and the OLED screen

This would be a fine time for Apple to increase sales yet again, and introduce the new bezel free iPad Pro line up

This may include the iPad Pro in 3 sizes which includes the Mini

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You just won the award for most depressing comment of the day! Lol.

I think what we're seeing Apple do is making a 9.7" version the cheapest model to see what the effect is on the Mini. If Mini sales hold up, then a Mini 5 is coming. On the other hand, if it's clear that the Mini sold what it sold largely because it was the cheapest iPads, then maybe we indeed have seen the last of the Mini.

Apple doesn't typically do "tests" like that. Typically when they shrink a product down to a single model being sold (without updating it) well past the point of its typical upgrade frequency, that's its victory lap. They did this with the iPod classic for many years (and they probably would've culled it sooner if they weren't sentimental about it themselves), they did it with the 13" non-retina unibody MacBook Pro, they did it with the iBook G4 and the Power Mac G5 just after the Mac Pro first came out. There have been many examples of this kind of marketing behavior both before and after Jobs' final departure from Apple. This is just something they do just before killing a product in their line outright.

Finally, someone else who understands the iPad mini market.

Some people keep saying the 7.9" iPad mini represents a significant portion of total iPad sales. But they fail to mention that it represents a rapidly decreasing share over the past 36 months - which happens to coincide with the rise of large smartphones like Galaxy Note 3/4 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Other people mention the obvious fact the 7.9" iPad mini offers a different experience than the 5.5" iPhone. Of course it does. The issue is 5.5" phones offer a "good enough" experience compared to the iPad mini, just as the iPad Pro offers a good enough experience compared to a conventional notebook computer.

I think it's pretty clear Apple is giving up the mini. What are they waiting for? Another quarter of slow iPad mini sales? For A11 to be released before they stick A9 in a new iPad mini? For the 6.4" Galaxy Note 8 to be released? No, if they wanted to release a refreshed mini, it would have been done by now.

I agree with you with everything except the iPad Pro and conventional notebook computer bit. If you're taking notes or don't care that you're in a smartphone OS, it's fine if space is too limited to accomodate something like a 13" MacBook Pro (be it non-retina, retina, touchbar, or otherwise). Otherwise, it's not "good enough" if what you want is an actual computer and not something running iOS.

Personally, I think that people are jumping to conclusions about the future of the Mini. It may not receive yearly updates anymore, but I wouldn't assume that the iPad Mini 4 is the end of the line just yet.

Lack of yearly updates isn't why people are making the assumption that it's dead. With the exception of the new "iPad" all of the iPads are over a year old.

People are making the assumption that it's dead because Apple is a marketing company and where it really cared about marketing the iPad mini circa the first and second generations, the third was an absolute afterthought and while the fourth was the best upgrade it has ever gotten, they made barely two sentences worth of mention about it at a keynote (and mind you, they pick what to emphasize in those keynotes). The biggest indicator that it is dead is that it's down to only one model, where previously they had the mini 2 at one size and an additional capacity of the mini 4. Now it's down to a lone mini 4 without anything new in that particular product line. That's NEVER a good sign.

How long did it take to release the 9.7 after the 12." iPad Pro, a year?

Maybe this year we may see the Mini Pro

No. 12.9" was September 2015; 9.7" was March 2016; it's now May 2017. Nice try though!

Are there any good 7-8" Android tablets at the moment?

Your best bet is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0. Like Apple, they had a 9.7" screened Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7. However, they recently updated the latter and there's now a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 9.7 aimed squarely at the 9.7" iPad Pro. They did not update the Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 with a Galaxy Tab S3 8.0, which should be another indicator that the mini-tablet party is getting shut down, seeing as there are no other strong competitors around.

I think a lot of people here don't realize that the iPad mini hasn't been updated since 2015 (not to mention the processor is from 2014), so most of the people who were going to buy it already bought it. That means as more time goes on without an update, sales are going to continue to drop and it's going to look worse for the iPad mini.

If Apple released an updated mini with a current processor, there would be a massive spike in sales.

Well, you're partially right. The iPad mini isn't in the predicament it is in because no one is buying it. It's in the predicament that it is in because Apple isn't putting any marketing strength behind it, nor is it giving it any kind of love. It was the last of the iOS devices to get an A8 processor (even the iPod touch, a product that there's even less of a reason for now and conflicts way more with Apple's other interests, beat the iPad mini to getting one) and a screen with as good of a color gamut as the iPhones, iPad Airs, and iPod touches have had.

The take-away here though is that the sales figures are almost irrelevant, the rest of the market is done with mini tablets and Apple, for whatever reason, isn't as in love with that kind of product as it was back in 2013 when damn near everyone else was.

Are there even any good Samsung ones, since the Tab S2 which came out around the same time as the Mini 4?

Nope. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 is really you're only other competitor. There is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0, but it's got a non-retina screen, hardly any internal storage (by Android's standards) and a CPU that is probably similar to the one from the Galaxy S5 phone from 2014. But I'd lump that into the pile of subpar Android tablets that make up the vast majority of the remaining mini tablets.

Hmmm...very strange arguments. Is it necessary to remind everyone that the iPad mini 4 and 12.9" iPad Pro were released on the same day, September 9, 2015?

By all of the "logic" shown on this thread, the 12.9" iPad Pro is even more likely to get the axe than the iPad mini.

You're kind of forgetting the obvious fact - which has been pointed out several times on this thread - that Apple has not been giving the iPad mini the same attention that it has the 12.9" iPad Pro. The latter has ads that pollute my Facebook feed about how it can replace my laptop. I haven't seen an iPad mini ad since the days of the very first generation iPad mini. Furthermore, when the 12.9" iPad Pro launched, my options were 32GB with WiFi, 128GB with WiFi and 128GB with cellular. Today those options are still there, but I now have 256GB with WiFi and 256GB with cellular as well! Compare that to the iPad mini 4, which sold with six models (three WiFi, three WiFi and Cellular) at launch and now only sells with two.

Furthermore, you're also forgetting the fact that when Apple shrinks down a model of something to only a single model without introducing its successor, that ALMOST ALWAYS means that there will be no successor.

I for one would like to see the factual statistical information that supports the notion that the iPad mini gets it sales based mostly on price, and that the iPad mini's share of iPad sales has gone down significantly over the last 36 months?

That was actually shared earlier in the thread. Go check it out.

This article from january 2016, for example, seems to say completely the opposite about the trend of mini sales relative to the entire line.

In fact, all of the historical and contemporary articles I can find indicate that iPad mini sales have been consistently between 40% and 50% of all iPad sales ever since the mini retina, with the percentage actually going up through the years, rather than down as some here are baselessly claiming to fit their narrative, and hoping not to get called out on it. This makes the mini a huge player in the iPad line-up for Apple. In fact, if there has been a proper failure in the iPad line to date, it has been the 12.9" Pro, which seems to never have been more than 12% of the sales mix.

Sales figures are irrelevent. Yeah, I said it. Because it's true. If Apple wants to discontinue it despite there being a following of people buying it, then it doesn't matter, it will still get discontinued. They have a vision for the future of the iPad line and the iPad mini doesn't fit with it. Furthermore, they only entered the mini tablet market because, at the time, that market had a lot more activity among competitors than the 8.9" to 10.6" range tablet market. That activity is all but gone now. The iPad mini 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.0 are the last ones that aren't of seriously low-quality and Apple and Samsung have shown no clear signs up updating either (if any, they've shown clear signs that they WON'T be updating either).

Furthermore - and I've seen no one in this thread cite this at all - the iPad mini 4 was rumored, way back in Spring of 2015, to be the final generation of iPad mini. It was mentioned in the same breath as the rumors stating correctly that the iPad Air 2 wouldn't be updated that September.

So this is pure unadulterated baseless speculation as far as I have seen, basement and man-cave amateur analysts making up imaginative fairy tales of realities that exist only in their minds, and not supported by any kind of of actual figures available to the general public.

Colorful words. Anyway, you clearly are new to following Apple and have much to learn about identifying the tell-tale signs of what is obviously a dying product line.

The only source provided in this thread so far seems to not support the seemly taken for granted notion that larger phones have had any sort of impact at all on iPad mini sales, especially relative to other iPads.

I feel we will all get a much better idea of the state of the iPad line-up, in all screen sizes, when the next releases come out.

No, there's enough writing on the wall now. There wasn't quite enough before the introduction of the "iPad" and the reduction of the iPad mini line to a single capacity of iPad mini 4. But now it's pretty obvious that the mini is on its way out. You just don't have the historical context to know that when Apple reduces a product to a single model without introducing its successor that there's no successor. It's cool. After three or four of these things happening, you'll realize the trend. Took me a while at first too.

It is almost certainly equally likely at this point that the new 10.5" iPad replaces 9.7" iPP or even 12.9" iPP as it is that there won't be a new 7.9" iPad, especially if the rumour about the new form factor is correct and the 10.5" iPad is about the same size as the current 9.7".

Considering you still have several basic apps that aren't supporting the 12.9" iPad Pro's screen resolution natively (Facebook, HBO Now, etc.), this is probably unlikely and way moreso than the notion that there won't be a new 7.9" iPad. Apple cares a ton about that 9.7" form factor. That form factor has ALWAYS been the flagship to them.

The iPad line-up is very strange at the moment. The timing of the retirement of the iPA2 and introduction of the iPad, with nothing else happening at all doesn't really vibe with a better/best line-up. One would have nought they'd have introduced a new mini alongside that was exactly the same as the iPad in every way except screen size, and then introduced the Pro line in the Fall? If they had done that I would have said there is no way we are going to see an iPad mini Pro, but rather would have seen only 10.5" and 12.9" Pros. Now it doesn't see, so black and white.

No one having followed all four iPad mini launches closely would've thought that they'd have introduced a new iPad mini alongside the new "iPad". The iPad line isn't in a strange place at all. It's actually in the most logical place it has been in since they first started the stupid practice of selling yesteryear's model alongside the current. You have Pro and non-Pro at 9.7" (much like you had 13" in Pro and non-Pro/Air, and still sort of do if you consider the non-touchbar 13" MacBook Pro to be a continuation of the Air/non-Pro line) and you have Pro at 12.9" (much like how you only have 15" MacBooks in a Pro variety). Then you have the mini doing its victory lap until Apple finally gets ready to pull the plug.

"Good" is such a matter of opinion it's hard to comment on. I will say that, like Apple's tablet line, Samsung's entire line is due for a refresh. I would expect to see some of Samsung's phone technologies trickle down into the tablets soon.

First off, Samsung just refreshed its 9.7" tablet and we now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 9.7 to replace the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 of 2015/16. The S3 9.7 came out this year, so whatever info you're going on, it's a bit out of date.

Having said that, I look at Samsung's "low end" tablets and they really are LOW end. The Mini 4, for all the complainers, is still a pretty good performer and is relatively in pace with it's contemporaries when it was released - while Samsung's small tablets are so woefully underpowered there's just no comparison.

The Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 is not as powerful as the iPad mini 4. I'll grant you that. But woefully underpowered? No. Only if you're a tablet/smartphone gamer. As for their other tablets in the 7.0 to 8.4" form factor, you're absolutely right. They are all woefully underpowered.

To address JPacks opinion above, and as has been stated by others above, the "demand" for the mini tablet all together is hampered by the lack of updated and interesting hardware. For Apple, releasing a Mini with Pencil capability and maybe a few more tricks would be an instant hit. For Samsung, upping the specs and bringing some of that Galaxy S8 into their smaller galaxy tablets would be a hit.

Samsung typically updates their tablets first and their phones second, which means the phones get the better features. So the Galaxy Tab S3 is much more similar to the Galaxy S7, just as the Galaxy Tab S2 was very Galaxy S6-esque. So, it's probably fair to assume that next year, we'll get something more Galaxy S8-like in the Galaxy Tab S4.

As for your comments about the iPad mini, whether or not it's a hit with customers is almost irrelevant. It's not a hit with Apple and Apple is the one with the final say, not the customers. It doesn't fit with Apple's strategy and whether it DOES fit with buyers strategy is moot.

The idea that "phablets" have displaced Mini tablets is laughable to me. I have no doubt that may be the case for some, but to a large extent? Nope. I'm far more inclined to say price was a factor (and I have no doubt for some it was), but the plain simple truth is the lack of movement in mini tablets is entirely due to lack of new, good models.

Tablets are never seen as quintessential devices like computers and smartphones are. They are very much accessories. Phablets are closer in size to mini tablets and many people have still had trouble justifying buying a tablet as it is. Therefore buying one more similar to their phone or their computer is a much harder sell unless it replaces one of those devices (which a mini tablet is never going to do). Therefore, yes, Phablets have LARGELY displaced mini tablets. Personally, I own both, so obviously this isn't universal. But I'm not every person out there.

...and yet, they're still making and selling the mini. It seems if Tim Cook "figured out" that nobody wanted mini tablets due to Phablets, they would have not made the mini 4 and they would stop making them.

Everybody thought the mini was dead after the Mini 3, but then we got the Mini 4 (which was a HUGE update after the disappointing Mini 3).

Again, the mini 4 isn't endangered because they're not selling. The mini 4 is endangered because Apple is ultimately a marketing-driven company and it doesn't fit with their larger marketing strategy for the iPad line as a whole. It was made to deter people from leaving the Apple ecosystem when mini tablets were starting to get huge in 2012 and 2013 and it persisted to ensure that people stuck around. Now that the danger of people flocking to comparable products has died down (due to the competitor products literally dying out), it is safe to start slowly transitioning the iPad line to a place where there is no longer a 7.9" iPad in it.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
@Yebubbleman - I sincerely hope you didn't spend too many hours of your life on that post above. You're very adamant - to the point that you actually believe you have some special insight or understanding about how Apple works than any of the rest of us. Everything you wrote should have a big fat disclaimer in front of it - IMHO.

Similarly...

Apple wants to be in all the spaces within each respective market that it can. That's why it has 3 sizes of iPhone, 3 sizes of laptop, and yes, 3 sizes of tablet.

It is exactly the same situation on the iPhone side. The SE still exists and was updated just this Spring because it covers a market segment in smartphones that no competitor touches or can touch. Because that is far and away the best smartphone you can get in a 4" screen. There aren't even any high end 4" phones left on the market from any other manufacturer. Apple wins there. Competitors turned to competing on screen size to try and get an edge. And now Apple have turned their attention there, and want to win the larger screen size market as well.

Very similar situation in tablets. It is just as you say, but IMHO the underlying reason is much different. The mini completely cornered the small tablet market when it was released. There was nothing out there among the many many tablets in that size category that could touch it, because it was a proper iPad in a smaller form factor. That holds true today as well. Competitors were driven away from that market and still can't compete there, because iPad mini is even more so today far and away the best tablet in that size category.

If you want a smaller phone, the only high end option is the iPhone SE. If you want a smaller tablet, the only high end option is the iPad mini.

Apple also has two crossover devices, to cover that market - an iOS device and a macOS device - the iPad Pro and the MacBook. They aren't going to do a true hybrid device.

The reason I am so confident that there will be another iPad mini is because Apple isn't going to just exit a market segment it is easily dominating, as long as it is worth being there. The current and historic sales numbers are not irrelevant. Even if the margin is smaller, the unit sales numbers are important for Apple as they seem to be what all the analysts are hot on as well. Take away mini sales from the iPad sales numbers and it looks pretty dismal.

I say the iPad line-up is a bit strange at the moment because everything is out of sync. You've got the flagship pro with an inferior screen and camera to its smaller sibling, and an updated basic model combined with a mini model that provides an arguably better value proposition, even in its aged state.

On the iPhone side you have a synched-up upgrade cycle. Same on the Laptop side, although the MacBook is pretty close to missing it's next upgrade window now as well. Let's not even talk about desktops, please, that is a mess as well.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
The iPad Mini will live on. Apple decided they made a big mistake when they priced the iPad Mini 2 100 dollars below the iPad Air. It made sense when they charged 100 dollars more for the iPhone 6 Plus vs the iPhone 6, because it raised the average price of phone sales. But when they did it to the Mini, it *lowered* the average selling price for what was otherwise identical specs. That's why the iPad Mini is now being kept behind the other iPad's in terms of specs.

Apple is trying very hard to raise their prices across the board. But they aren't going to abandon the market segment the iPad Mini is in to do that. They're just going to make sure the iPad Mini doesn't tempt anyone into spending LESS money than they otherwise would have. Hence why the 32GB option is gone.

I'm OK with it ... heck, I'd pay more money for the form factor and specs I want ... price is not really an issue. But that's just me. Luckily processor improvements have become slightly less relevant in the past two generations.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The iPad Mini will live on. Apple decided they made a big mistake when they priced the iPad Mini 2 100 dollars below the iPad Air. It made sense when they charged 100 dollars more for the iPhone 6 Plus vs the iPhone 6, because it raised the average price of phone sales. But when they did it to the Mini, it *lowered* the average selling price for what was otherwise identical specs. That's why the iPad Mini is now being kept behind the other iPad's in terms of specs.

Apple is trying very hard to raise their prices across the board. But they aren't going to abandon the market segment the iPad Mini is in to do that. They're just going to make sure the iPad Mini doesn't tempt anyone into spending LESS money than they otherwise would have. Hence why the 32GB option is gone.

I'm OK with it ... heck, I'd pay more money for the form factor and specs I want ... price is not really an issue. But that's just me. Luckily processor improvements have become slightly less relevant in the past two generations.

It still doesn't explain why Apple killed the 32GB mini.

Apple could have kept the 32GB mini on the market and maintained the $399 price tag to avoid "tempting" customers as you claim.

If Apple wanted to simultaneously raise prices and keep the mini form factor, they would have updated the mini with an A9. All these theories on why Apple killed the 32GB mini but secretly wants to keep the form factor are just convoluted to put it politely.
[doublepost=1494156612][/doublepost]
@Yebubbleman
Apple wants to be in all the spaces within each respective market that it can. That's why it has 3 sizes of iPhone, 3 sizes of laptop, and yes, 3 sizes of tablet.

It is exactly the same situation on the iPhone side. The SE still exists and was updated just this Spring because it covers a market segment in smartphones that no competitor touches or can touch. Because that is far and away the best smartphone you can get in a 4" screen. There aren't even any high end 4" phones left on the market from any other manufacturer. Apple wins there. Competitors turned to competing on screen size to try and get an edge. And now Apple have turned their attention there, and want to win the larger screen size market as well.

Very similar situation in tablets. It is just as you say, but IMHO the underlying reason is much different. The mini completely cornered the small tablet market when it was released. There was nothing out there among the many many tablets in that size category that could touch it, because it was a proper iPad in a smaller form factor. That holds true today as well. Competitors were driven away from that market and still can't compete there, because iPad mini is even more so today far and away the best tablet in that size category.

The iPhone SE and iPad mini markets are quite different and you can't compare the two.

The smartphone market is growing. The tablet market is contracting by double digits annually.

There is a massive number of people still buying 'dumb' feature phones. India alone bought over 130 million dumb phones in 2016. The iPhone SE is intended for emerging markets consumers who have yet to purchase their first smartphone.

Emerging markets aren't going to purchase mini tablets like consumers did in U.S., China, and Western Europe. They're going straight to smartphones and then phablets.

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto

I agree, I want a mini sized device, and do not need to pay less than the 9.7 inch variety. I want pencil support. I want a better camera and flash, etc.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
As I said, I don't see what the point of these long, extensive arguments is. There will either be a new Mini one day or there won't, and none of us is actually in a position to know, no matter how much "evidence" we think we have.

PaulaE

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2017
Spain
I want to upgrade my mini 4..I hope for a new iPad Mini Pro with 7,9 inches... I read all the thoughts you guys post here,and now I don't know what to think...Did you really think that 7,9 size is dying for Apple? Thanks

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I want to upgrade my mini 4..I hope for a new iPad Mini Pro with 7,9 inches... I read all the thoughts you guys post here,and now I don't know what to think...Did you really think that 7,9 size is dying for Apple? Thanks

I say if you like the mini form factor, then enjoy the one you have.

At this point I would venture to guess that when we see the next round of updates for the iPad Pros (whether it be at WWDC or in the fall) if the mini doesn't get Pro treatment, then it likely never will. And if it doesn't get any update at all, then I'd assume it's officially on iPod touch status (internal updates every 2-3 years).

Reactions: PaulaE and bensisko

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I say if you like the mini form factor, then enjoy the one you have.

At this point I would venture to guess that when we see the next round of updates for the iPad Pros (whether it be at WWDC or in the fall) if the mini doesn't get Pro treatment, then it likely never will. And if it doesn't get any update at all, then I'd assume it's officially on iPod touch status (internal updates every 2-3 years).
This is exactly the kind of comment I can get behind. We'll all know what the actual status is at the next proper update cycl of the iPad product line. What we've had this Spring was a minor facelift. If iPad mini 4 is all that's left after 2017 is over, then I will retract all my previous statements.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
How about a possibility of an new iPad mini which is essentialy the 2017 iPad scaled down(A9, non laminated display, lower price point)?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
How about a possibility of an new iPad mini which is essentialy the 2017 iPad scaled down(A9, non laminated display, lower price point)?

Considering Ming-Chi Kuo, the most accurate Apple analyst out there has predicted:

"Worst has passed for Apple’s iPad. This is due to: [...] (2) a better ASP thanks to improved product mix on decreasing exposure to iPad mini will likely offset the shipment decline"

If there were a new iPad mini coming, the exposure would not be decreasing.

Ilnuz

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2017
Hi! I have a question for all of you.. i m a big italian fan of iPad mini (Sorry for my not so good english )
Do you think there is a chance to see an iPad mini 5 sooner or later?
I think it's the best size for ipad and I would be sorry to see him die
What do you think guys?
Thanks

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Doubt it. But you never know. However, I seriously doubt it. Apple would have updated it by now if they wanted to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.