Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
In a world where Apple still sells the Macbook Air, the iPad Mini isn't going anywhere. It may sit uncomfortably in between an iPhone Plus and a 9.7" iPad, but it's still a slot that Apple has no other product for.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In a world where Apple still sells the Macbook Air, the iPad Mini isn't going anywhere. It may sit uncomfortably in between an iPhone Plus and a 9.7" iPad, but it's still a slot that Apple has no other product for.

Are you seriously trying to compare a high margin, high ASP product that starts at $999, with a product that Staples puts on sale for $299?

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Not really, but if it helps you sleep at night...

I agree that if it was just a spec bump, it could still get added at any time as it wouldn't require much testing.

But the evidence of nothing for the mini this year is really starting to add up - only a few left weeks till we find out I guess.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I agree that if it was just a spec bump, it could still get added at any time as it wouldn't require much testing.

But the evidence of nothing for the mini this year is really starting to add up - only a few left weeks till we find out I guess.

Only a few weeks left... until till we find out if it's announced alongside a new iPhone (which is unlikely).

There are four possibilities:
  1. Apple stops selling the iPad Mini (which means that Apple only ever saw the Mini as the "inexpensive" way to get people to buy an iPad and is no longer needed due to the iPad 2917)
  2. Apple releases a spec-bumped iPad Mini (which means that Apple is unsure what to do with the Mini, but is unwilling to kill it just yet)
  3. Apple releases a Mini Pro (which means Apple sees the Mini as a legitimate alternate form factor and has decided to apply resources to rejuvenate the lineup).
  4. Apple decides to delay the release of a new Mini until the rumored redesign in 2018.

My guess it the most likely is number 2, for now. When? Who knows - November might be a good time, perhaps alongside new iMacs.

Reactions: sracer

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I would have thought that the iphone event, where they will struggle not to at least mention iOS 11 and the ipad improvements would be the best place to annouce a spec bump to the mini - i.e. just show what the ipad lineup looks like. I can't see them going the whole keynote and not mentioning anything about iOS 11 and the ipad, even if it was just a one minute summary of the WWDC keynote.

Don't forget the mini 4 was annouced at 2015 iphone event in the space of about 10 seconds, sure they revealed ipads then too, but I would have said the iphone event was more likely than mixing it with Macs.

Maybe at this stage the spec bump doesn't even need to be annouced and just put on the store like the 2017 ipad was.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I genuinely don't see a new mini coming. With iOS 11 expanding multitasking features and drag and drop on the iPad, the mini may prove too small a screen to make the most of these features and is one of the reasons why it may be discontinued. I am a fan of the size though but if I'm honest, on a recent trip with the mini, I wish I had brought my larger iPad for media consumption etc.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I would have thought that the iphone event, where they will struggle not to at least mention iOS 11 and the ipad improvements would be the best place to annouce a spec bump to the mini - i.e. just show what the ipad lineup looks like. I can't see them going the whole keynote and not mentioning anything about iOS 11 and the ipad, even if it was just a one minute summary of the WWDC keynote.

Don't forget the mini 4 was annouced at 2015 iphone event in the space of about 10 seconds, sure they revealed ipads then too, but I would have said the iphone event was more likely than mixing it with Macs.

Maybe at this stage the spec bump doesn't even need to be annouced and just put on the store like the 2017 ipad was.

Could be. At this point it's a wait and see for me.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Will apple release new ipad mini model on this Event Coming ???

Last model i got is Mini 4 which launch in 2015 ,
cant wait they bring new one ,:)

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I'm not sure there is a place for the mini anymore. Just pick up the 2017 iPad if you want something cheap but still astonishingly good value for money. It's not exactly large either.

Reactions: akash.nu

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
If a spec bump does occur in September do you think they would keep it 128 only for 399, or switch up the pricing and storage again?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
The only upgrade to a mini i want to see is an ipad mini pro. I want to be able to use the apple pencil with the mini to take notes and as a digital sketchbook to draw in.

Reactions: mcrawley and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The only upgrade to a mini i want to see is an ipad mini pro. I want to be able to use the apple pencil with the mini to take notes and as a digital sketchbook to draw in.
I prefer to call it "iPad Mini Plus" since "Pro" denotes support for Apple Pencil AND smart connector. I can't see Apple including support for a smart connector on the Mini. I'll be all over a Mini w/Pencil support no matter what it's called. :)

Ok, ok, I'm trying to make "Mini Pro" happen.
rotflmao.gif

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I prefer to call it "iPad Mini Plus" since "Pro" denotes support for Apple Pencil AND smart connector. I can't see Apple including support for a smart connector on the Mini. I'll be all over a Mini w/Pencil support no matter what it's called. :)

Ok, ok, I'm trying to make "Mini Pro" happen. View attachment 713944

True, i don't care what they call it either. I just want to be able to use the apple pencil on a mini! The smart connector i dont care about, since typing using the virtual keys is fine. A smart keyboard cover on a mini would be fairly ridiculous. Although, i could see them using the smart connector for other things. Like perhaps charging a future apple pencil? Who knows. But yeah, being able to use the apple pencil on a mini ipad is what i crave most. Make it happen Apple!

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Will apple release new ipad mini model on this Event Coming ???

Last model i got is Mini 4 which launch in 2015 ,
cant wait they bring new one ,:)

There’s been petty much 0 rumours suggesting a new iPad mini is coming.

You also have to read something into the fact that they removed most models and there’s only a 128GB version available.

Reactions: JPack

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
This seems to be the million dollar question. What will Apple do with the mini. They will have to update it soon to make it viable with ios 11. I would imagine that if Apple is going to announce an update it'd be with the iphone/ios 11 event next month. Apple did announce the ipad mini 4 that way 2 yrs ago.

If Apple doesn't announce an update at the event, it doesnt look good for the mini. I would imagine the last hope is the rumored radical redesign of the ipad line in 2018. Rumors of OLED screens and a bezel-less design abound. I could see Apple releasing 3 pro models including a mini with that line up. But what do i know? Nuthin.

The ipad mini 4 is currently the longest ipad without an update.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Mini will be gone in a year or two. No point in it anymore.

There's always a point to it until there is 7" phones.

The big question is whether Apple wants people to buy them, they did with the iPad mini 2 and it sold. Since then, they have barely updated it and marketed it even less. It definitely seems like they don't want it around anymore - which is a shame as there will always be that 6.5-8.5" tablet gap in the market now however small it might be.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There’s been petty much 0 rumours suggesting a new iPad mini is coming.

You also have to read something into the fact that they removed most models and there’s only a 128GB version available.

Agreed. There have been no credible rumors suggesting a new iPad mini, only die hard fans dreaming about a refresh without considering market forces.

Those fanboys are suggesting some random date in 2018 when a refresh might happen, to rescue a form factor that needed help 24 months ago. And during a time when smartphone displays continue to grow.

Even if you're blind to the poor sales performance and the decreased marketing efforts placed by Apple on the mini, there are some very discrete signs:
  • Ming-Chi Kuo wrote he expected Apple to have decreasing exposure to iPad mini.
  • HomePod firmware tells us there are no new iPads coming soon.
  • Virtually no new Android or Microsoft mini tablet has been released recently.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
It seems like people are willing to let the Mini go without much fuss-which I find surprising.

I feel like it’s such a perfect size for travel, work, and one handed use. I recently gave up my Mini 4 for a bigger/faster iPad, but man do I miss the smaller form factor (sometimes).

Reactions: mcrawley

Atomic1977

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2017
West Bend Wisconsin
Considering that I just got a mini 2 in January of this year. And the fact that Apple discontinued it and the fact that the mini 4 is the only iPad mini still available I think the days of the mini are numbered. I don't see another mini anytime soon and Apple doesn't seem to care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.