Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024
I am posting this to seek guidance/compare notes with fellow iPad Pro users, in particular the M4 iPad Pro 11-inch. I just experienced 5, back to back, iPad Pros with dead pixels. I took advantage of the EDU discount and gift card and when I got home, I noticed a black dot, with a pink halo around it towards the upper right hand corner (if you are looking at the iPad in landscape with camera on the top side). I took this iPad back the next day and exchanged it for a new unit. Took it back home, open it up and notice another dead pixel in slightly different spot, but still in the upper right hand quadrant of the display. This morning, I took it back and was approached by the manager of the Apple Store. I explained to him the situation and he and I looked at the screen, confirmed it was indeed a dead pixel. Instead of just processing the exchange, he offered to allow me to open up the iPads in store prior to completing the transaction.

We ended up opening 2 more space black models (color I originally purchased) and 1 silver model. The 2 space black iPad Pros had visible dead pixels with similar behaviors. The silver one at first glance looked good until I got home in a darker room and immediately found a dead pixel in the center of the display. Again, it was a dark, dead pixel, with some pink hues around it. Went back to the Apple Store, did one more exchange. This time chose a space black iPad Pro and he mentioned this would be the “last“ exchange since he could not guarantee an iPad would be defect free (at this time the count was 4 iPads I had gone through). I opened up the iPad and lo and behold, another dead pixel. This time, it’s closer to the bezel on the top left hand side. It basically lives in the toolbar of safari, right by the reader/font icon.

He recommended it could just be a bad batch and recommended I wait a while and go through a warranty exchange for the dead pixels in the future.

So what gives here? I have never experienced this from Apple in all the products I have purchased over 20+ years. Not out of the box anyway. I am not really sure what to do. I see it as pointless to continue exchanging. At least this dead pixel is towards the border? Do I just live with it? Do I take his advice and replace it via warranty in 3-6 months?

I have attached some photos of the dead pixel. It appears to be a dead green subpixel by the looks of it. It’s mainly visible on green and white backgrounds but in normal operation, it just appears to be a black dot on just about anything.

The photos are trying to convey what I see. In white backgrounds, it’s just a black dot. But it also shows in UI Elements, and mixed usage. Thankfully, for video, it’s within the letterboxing but if I go full screen, its still a black dot.

Attachments

• IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3694.jpeg
    IMG_3694.jpeg
    467.6 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_3683.jpeg
    IMG_3683.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 457

SierraVista

macrumors member
May 20, 2024

There was a thread when the M4s first came out, quite a few people reported specifically seeing dead green subpixels. I saw this on my release day device (11” standard glass) and ultimately exchanged it. The bottom line is, for a $1000+ device you shouldn’t be expected to just get over it. Once I found the dead pixel, I couldn’t take my eye off of it… it totally ruined the experience for me.

It’s definitely possible that store got a bad batch. My advice would be to return it (not exchange), and either order from another Apple Store location or Apple.com (or another retailer) or just wait a few weeks for the stock at your store to recycle.

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024

There was a thread when the M4s first came out, quite a few people reported specifically seeing dead green subpixels. I saw this on my release day device (11” standard glass) and ultimately exchanged it. The bottom line is, for a $1000+ device you shouldn’t be expected to just get over it. Once I found the dead pixel, I couldn’t take my eye off of it… it totally ruined the experience for me.

It’s definitely possible that store got a bad batch. My advice would be to return it (not exchange), and either order from another Apple Store location or Apple.com (or another retailer) or just wait a few weeks for the stock at your store to recycle.
My situation is kind of unique so going to a different store may not be an easy option. I am unable to order online using the student promo since I ordered 2. I am not sure if it gets reset after returning but it would not let me reorder this morning after returning it. The easiest option as the manager advised is wait it out and do a warranty replacement a few months in. Maybe they’ll sort these issues out. I assume many iPads have dead pixels for the OLEDs, they are just hard to spot. But if you spend all day in documents, they stick out like sore thumbs.

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024
I did call Apple Support and got a senior advisor. He basically told me one dead pixel is normal for an iPad and he would not consider it an issue. Not really sure. Genius Bar folks said they replace for 1 dead pixel, no questions asked under warranty or AppleCare.

Reactions: Shirasaki

motorazr

macrumors 6502
I did call Apple Support and got a senior advisor. He basically told me one dead pixel is normal for an iPad and he would not consider it an issue. Not really sure. Genius Bar folks said they replace for 1 dead pixel, no questions asked under warranty or AppleCare.
Honestly I would call apple telesales and see if they can exchange it.

The store should have submitted an escalation to apple regarding the issue since it was consistent and similar spot over and over; likewise waiting for Genius Bar to replace is a real gamble, since they can’t swap it twice for an issue - it would get flagged for mail-in repair only, which is its own frustration if you’ve had the issue since day one. And there’s a chance the repair center will say they can’t see the issue or try to state you damaged the device and refuse warranty repair.

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024
Honestly I would call apple telesales and see if they can exchange it.

The store should have submitted an escalation to apple regarding the issue since it was consistent and similar spot over and over; likewise waiting for Genius Bar to replace is a real gamble, since they can’t swap it twice for an issue - it would get flagged for mail-in repair only, which is its own frustration if you’ve had the issue since day one. And there’s a chance the repair center will say they can’t see the issue or try to state you damaged the device and refuse warranty repair.
This was purchased in store. Current unit that is. Never heard about that issue with Genius Bar… good data point.

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
I mean, I went through five different iPads in a course of 24 hours. Manager advised against another exchange.
Just return it and go through Costco. 90 day return policy, no questions asked. They’ll even let you return it past that window. Don’t have to deal with Apple BSing you about dead pixels being normal.

Reactions: djinn and gusping

JapanApple

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
That reminds me of the 10.5-inch model. I bought the first generation and there have been nothing but problems. i want this model but if this is what is happening I wait until the end of the year. This why I will from now on buy from Apple and not electric shops/amazon etc in Japan.

TravelsInBlue

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2020
People playing the display lottery hoping for some magical dead pixel-less display drive the prices up for everybody.

The reality is that for most devices, particularly with the pixel density that these displays boast, you’re inevitably going to find a dead pixel or two if you go looking for them. With the millions of pixels these displays have, a few will actually be within a reasonable tolerance.

Turning my brightness up on my iPhone just now I found a dead one in the bottom left and a stuck green pixel as well. But it’s asinine to go looking for these things unless it’s really noticeable.

I never really understood why people come on here boasting for returning multiple devices over dead pixels, or saying they bought a device and it didn’t meet their expectations like a badge of honor. At a certain point just don’t buy the product. The latter reasoning is even worse (as was the case with the Vision Pro buyers) because there was every resource out there to understand what it was you were getting. Coming on here to post about making returns (especially multiple returns) just makes one look petty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.