Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1985

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2006
Stop buying this model. Even if you don’t have any dead pixels, you are stuck with tinny sounding speakers that are a downgrade from the previous 11 inch Pros. Plus you’re going to have issues as a first generation adopter of tandem OLED.
To be fair some of us have the financial means to not be stuck with their apple products long.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Can you imagine, most folks have to deal with an entire notch? Count yourself lucky.
I still can’t get over that gigantic notch on later MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models even after all these years.
Fortunately none of the Apple devices I have had dead pixels affecting viewing.

Reactions: sracer

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
It is up to you, however “a warranty exchange in 3-6 months” will not give you a brand new iPad. It will be a “comparable” unit and not necessarily fully refurbished. When I exchanged my iPad Air 4 for screen light leak issues a few years ago, my original Air had around 30 battery cycles and the replacement one - about 200. The screen was much better, though, so I ended up keeping it.

• Wow
Reactions: Geekett

Boing123

Suspended
Mar 30, 2024
Sad apple is outsourcing QC to users. This is suppose to be done at the factory before assembly.
Before assembly eh?

Then what would you propose for defects that are introduced during assembly.

QC is done after assembly and before shipping an item out.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2018
I have the larger sized Pro.

No dead pixels.

I used to have to return lots of Apple devices, because of dead pixels (which I will not accept) but I’ve been lucky with my devices for a while, now.

@Apple_Robert will this be your first larger iPad? I’m getting used to it, having come from smaller ones.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Before assembly eh?

Then what would you propose for defects that are introduced during assembly.

QC is done after assembly and before shipping an item out.
But than you're just wasting time assembling a computer with defective parts. The dead pixels aren't caused by assembly errors.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I am posting this to seek guidance/compare notes with fellow iPad Pro users, in particular the M4 iPad Pro 11-inch. I just experienced 5, back to back, iPad Pros with dead pixels. I took advantage of the EDU discount and gift card and when I got home, I noticed a black dot, with a pink halo around it towards the upper right hand corner (if you are looking at the iPad in landscape with camera on the top side). I took this iPad back the next day and exchanged it for a new unit. Took it back home, open it up and notice another dead pixel in slightly different spot, but still in the upper right hand quadrant of the display. This morning, I took it back and was approached by the manager of the Apple Store. I explained to him the situation and he and I looked at the screen, confirmed it was indeed a dead pixel. Instead of just processing the exchange, he offered to allow me to open up the iPads in store prior to completing the transaction.

We ended up opening 2 more space black models (color I originally purchased) and 1 silver model. The 2 space black iPad Pros had visible dead pixels with similar behaviors. The silver one at first glance looked good until I got home in a darker room and immediately found a dead pixel in the center of the display. Again, it was a dark, dead pixel, with some pink hues around it. Went back to the Apple Store, did one more exchange. This time chose a space black iPad Pro and he mentioned this would be the “last“ exchange since he could not guarantee an iPad would be defect free (at this time the count was 4 iPads I had gone through). I opened up the iPad and lo and behold, another dead pixel. This time, it’s closer to the bezel on the top left hand side. It basically lives in the toolbar of safari, right by the reader/font icon.

He recommended it could just be a bad batch and recommended I wait a while and go through a warranty exchange for the dead pixels in the future.

So what gives here? I have never experienced this from Apple in all the products I have purchased over 20+ years. Not out of the box anyway. I am not really sure what to do. I see it as pointless to continue exchanging. At least this dead pixel is towards the border? Do I just live with it? Do I take his advice and replace it via warranty in 3-6 months?

I have attached some photos of the dead pixel. It appears to be a dead green subpixel by the looks of it. It’s mainly visible on green and white backgrounds but in normal operation, it just appears to be a black dot on just about anything.

The photos are trying to convey what I see. In white backgrounds, it’s just a black dot. But it also shows in UI Elements, and mixed usage. Thankfully, for video, it’s within the letterboxing but if I go full screen, its still a black dot.
Like the manager said: "it could just be a bad batch and recommended I wait a while and go through a warranty exchange for the dead pixels in the future." Just do it. But keep a good contemporaneous record of the whole process, which it seems you are doing.

Personally IMO "wait a while" would be <14 days and keep trying until you get a screen you accept. That way you are in no-questions-asked period, not doing a warranty claim(s).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: G5isAlive and W£S

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I mean I know why you want a perfect screen… but to be honest, what an absolute waste of time and resources. I’d actually be happier Apple just giving me an option to take a partial refund option instead of returning 5 plus units. I don’t know what the policy is regarding dead pixels anymore (it’s not been an issues for over 2 decades in my experience) but if there is 1 or 2 dead pixels on such a high density screen, I’d be like fine. I’d much rather save the environmental cost than seek that perfect screen. I mean what happens if you get a tiny scratch on it? Do you take it in for Apple Care screen replacement? You know the display elements wear out after x amount of time? Do you worry about that too?

As with any device you use there is wear and tear… microscopic that you can’t even see at first. Does this dead pixel affect your work? How close do you have to look to see it? Under normal use is it an issue?

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
i was going to say if you bought, opened, and returned five ipad pros in a span of 24 hours, makes total sense why the manager told you to stop.
Id be embarrassed going back after the first time … I mean yeah…

I hate to return anything, unless it’s absolutely necessary. I mean I’d have had to make a massive error in judgement buying, or got a completely defective product. A return is a cost to yourself, the company and the environment.

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
It is up to you, however “a warranty exchange in 3-6 months” will not give you a brand new iPad. It will be a “comparable” unit and not necessarily fully refurbished. When I exchanged my iPad Air 4 for screen light leak issues a few years ago, my original Air had around 30 battery cycles and the replacement one - about 200. The screen was much better, though, so I ended up keeping it.
If it was Apple Store replaced, that iPad Air you got given as replacement should have had a new battery installed. Yea they don’t give you a completely new iPad but they are just refurbished so come with new shell, battery etc.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Even well established OLED TV's have dead pixels, and they die as time goes on, having zero is well almost impossible considering how many pixels there are. I bought a 55" Sony A90J Master series new last year at a reduced price from a shop when they finally stopped making them as I didn't want the year later K model QDOLED as it had no sound bar position (I dont like TV's on a wall) and a horrid moth eye screen from Samsung that you cant clean without leaving blue marks. My TV has 3 dead pixels and I cant see them in normal use, even the new A95L has dead pixels that i have seen in shops, so do LG's latest sets, but most people don't scour the screen looking for problems.

Dead OLED pixels can happen and when you have on a TV with 8.3 million pixels, 3 dead aint bad I decided and I cannot see them in normal use. Same with a iPad just stop looking for issues, they wont make screens without dead pixels or if they do you are very lucky, I have not noticed any on my 13" and I am not going to look for them. OCD with Apple gear seems to be a big problem, especially as its all mass produced plastic and metal like any other brand. Just use it or take it back and move on. Life is to short to be obsessed with iPads.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
If it was Apple Store replaced, that iPad Air you got given as replacement should have had a new battery installed. Yea they don’t give you a completely new iPad but they are just refurbished so come with new shell, battery etc.

Yes it was Apple Store replaced, yet no new battery.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Yes it was Apple Store replaced, yet no new battery.
That’s interesting… I’m almost 100 percent sure it should have had a new battery. That’s what I’ve been told by staff in store about Apple care replacements, refurbished devices etc and that has been my experience when I have had an Apple care replacement or bought from refurbished store 🤔

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have the larger sized Pro.

No dead pixels.

I used to have to return lots of Apple devices, because of dead pixels (which I will not accept) but I’ve been lucky with my devices for a while, now.

@Apple_Robert will this be your first larger iPad? I’m getting used to it, having come from smaller ones.
Yes, it will be my first 13".

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

MaxGolden12

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2020
I got the M4 iPad Pro 13-inch and my first two units both had dead green subpixels in nearly the same spot in the top half of the screen near the middle when holding it them in landscape mode with the front camera at the top. I noticed them shortly after having set up the iPads. Fortunately, my third unit was perfect.

Apple needs to tighten up their QC, especially for the prices they are charging. It’s getting to the point where it takes out much of the excitement when purchasing a new device and you worry about whether you’ll be getting a pristine unit out of the box the first time or having to return/exchange several units before getting one without any screen issues.

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
I would return it for full refund. Why should user pay for poor QC.

Some compared with TV. Not a fair comparison. You don’t sit near enough to see the dead pixels. On an iPad, you are near enough to see it.

Reactions: yaboid01 and klasma

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I would return it for full refund. Why should user pay for poor QC.

Some compared with TV. Not a fair comparison. You don’t sit near enough to see the dead pixels. On an iPad, you are near enough to see it.
Retina is defined as a display where the distance you are normally from the screen is such that you don’t see individual pixels.

You have to really really really be up close to see that dead pixel on the original posters images

Reactions: G5isAlive

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I want this iPad Pro model, but it’s still first gen with OLED, and they need time to iron out the manufacturing process for the OLED display. I’ve decided to wait. You might want to wait a few months before giving it another try.

This things happen regardless (someone will always get a faulty display), but generally speaking Apple knocked it out of the park. I think for anyone interested in iPad Pro, this is the year to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.