Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
dude returned 5 ipad pros for 1 dead pixel out of over 4 million pixels

i hope you exchange 5 more šŸ˜‚
Imagine the manager at Apple Store.

Here he is again šŸ˜†

He will probably get flagged by Apple if he keeps buying 5 and returning them.

Oh Iā€™m sure those 5 returns by one customer would have been flagged internally as a concern. Iā€™m not sure what action would be taken but Iā€™m sure the manager would have probably communicated it up to higher management also.

I mean if you then go back and go through a few more returns it becomes a serious issue.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Exchange at a different store or call online return center. I will send it back and not risk repair under Warranty.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022

Here he is again šŸ˜†

Oh Iā€™m sure those 5 returns by one customer would have been flagged internally as a concern. Iā€™m not sure what action would be taken but Iā€™m sure the manager would have probably communicated it up to higher management also.

I mean if you then go back and go through a few more returns it becomes a serious issue.
If itā€™s genuine issue, Apple may compensate. Happened to me once I hit 4 returns on a mac.

Reactions: Fuzzball84

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
If itā€™s genuine issue, Apple may compensate. Happened to me once I hit 4 returns on a mac.
You must be so unlucky to go through 4 returns on a Mac. This must be very rareā€¦ and I wonder if the store he bought iPad from had any other customers returning the same iPadsā€¦ we will never know. Apple are actually quiet about devices with issues.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
You must be so unlucky to go through 4 returns on a Mac. This must be very rareā€¦ and I wonder if the store he bought iPad from had any other customers returning the same iPadsā€¦ we will never know. Apple are actually quiet about devices with issues.
Itā€™s rare but can happen. The 2019 MBP16 was the worst Mac I ever owned. Only good thing that came out of that was Apple throwing in a Beats Studio and some goodies for the mess. I am just so glad that phase is over with Apple silicon.

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024
Well, I certainly expected to see some ā€œget over it posts.ā€

For those making claims that I should not expect a perfect panel, I did ask the manager what I should be expecting and his response was, a perfect panel.

And in response to the 5 iPad returnsā€¦ it was the managerā€™s idea, not mine. I bought 2 iPads in total, 1 day apart. But the manager of the store insisted I open it with him at a table and check the panels. In each occurrence, we BOTH saw the dead pixels and he went to get another one. He tried looking for different batches based on S/N and it made no difference. The reason he suggested I stop is he now believes itā€™s a bad batch of all iPad Pros will have some sort of allowed dead pixel count.

I can certainly take the ā€œthis guy is expecting perfectionā€ talk; itā€™s the internet after all. But Iā€™ll defend my ground, I have never experienced a dead pixel out of the box on any Apple Product. Apple does not have a published dead pixel policy for OLED panels. They have a description of tandem OLED and describe the grain that people have complained about but never say nothing about a dead pixel or 2 is allowable. Genius Bar folks also agreed, their policy has always been, 0 dead pixels is the right number for an Apple Product.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
first generation adopter of tandem OLED.

Feeling pretty good about that. OLED is a proven technology at this point (even tandem OLEDs are not new, just new for this type of product) and Apple is experienced at producing great screens. I was a first generation adopter of their every new screen tech - first iPhone OLED, first mini LED both on Mac and iPad, now this tandem OLED and never had issues. Neither did anyone I know.

Some people, like the OP, wonā€™t be lucky and itā€™s unfortunate, but that has nothing to do with ā€œfirst generationā€. If you need an iPad Pro, this year is the year to buy.

Reactions: the future

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024
It is up to you, however ā€œa warranty exchange in 3-6 monthsā€ will not give you a brand new iPad. It will be a ā€œcomparableā€ unit and not necessarily fully refurbished. When I exchanged my iPad Air 4 for screen light leak issues a few years ago, my original Air had around 30 battery cycles and the replacement one - about 200. The screen was much better, though, so I ended up keeping it.
I understand. I may just wait until the 10-months in to make the repair. Or maybe Iā€™ll forget about the pixel all together. Itā€™s certainly noticeable but I also have very good vision and work in documents most of the time.

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024

Here he is again šŸ˜†

It was flagged as an issue with the production batchā€¦ manager is sending the iPads to Apple. But again, it was his idea to go through the iPads, not mine. We did this all in store.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015

For those making claims that I should not expect a perfect panel, I did ask the manager what I should be expecting and his response was, a perfect panel.

And in response to the 5 iPad returnsā€¦ it was the managerā€™s idea, not mine. I bought 2 iPads in total, 1 day apart. But the manager of the store insisted I open it with him at a table and check the panels. In each occurrence, we BOTH saw the dead pixels and he went to get another one. He tried looking for different batches based on S/N and it made no difference. The reason he suggested I stop is he now believes itā€™s a bad batch of all iPad Pros will have some sort of allowed dead pixel count.

I can certainly take the ā€œthis guy is expecting perfectionā€ talk; itā€™s the internet after all. But Iā€™ll defend my ground, I have never experienced a dead pixel out of the box on any Apple Product. Apple does not have a published dead pixel policy for OLED panels. They have a description of tandem OLED and describe the grain that people have complained about but never say nothing about a dead pixel or 2 is allowable. Genius Bar folks also agreed, their policy has always been, 0 dead pixels is the right number for an Apple Product.
Good to see further details about what actually happened at the Apple Store.

I still think itā€™s a minor issue but if so many devices had the same dead pixel I suspect itā€™s a display panel manufacturer issue and that could be a big issue indeed. Especially if itā€™s a repeatable manufacturing defect.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022

You bought it, you decide what is acceptable or not. I personally would exchange from a different batch or return and not risk repairs if it bothered me. There are many folks who donā€™t care or notice dead pixels. Itā€™s your device, you need to make a call.

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024
Good to see further details about what actually happened at the Apple Store.

I still think itā€™s a minor issue but if so many devices had the same dead pixel I suspect itā€™s a display panel manufacturer issue and that could be a big issue indeed. Especially if itā€™s a repeatable manufacturing defect.
I do not think I am being unreasonable. I have accepted the iPad for what it is and may go through warranty in the future and try my luck there.

I have owned LG OLEDs for years now and all of them have had at least 2, 3 dead pixels. But at TV viewing distances and varied content, itā€™s not noticeable. iPads, while are used for content consumption, also browse the web and work in documents, etc. lots of opportunity for white backgrounds to be shown.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

You should be fine since the manager suggested all those returns.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I do not think I am being unreasonable. I have accepted the iPad for what it is and may go through warranty in the future and try my luck there.

I have owned LG OLEDs for years now and all of them have had at least 2, 3 dead pixels. But at TV viewing distances and varied content, itā€™s not noticeable. iPads, while are used for content consumption, also browse the web and work in documents, etc. lots of opportunity for white backgrounds to be shown.
If it was at the managers instruction to do so many returns then itā€™s fineā€¦ I just fine it unusual for so many to have same issue. But 1 pixel, itā€™s mehā€¦ on a retina screen 1 pixel is so so insignificant. As long as further pixels donā€™t fail, Iā€™d just accept it.

You could even have said to them Iā€™ll take it despite the dead pixel if there is a little discount or other goodie bundled. šŸ˜€

SierraVista

macrumors member
May 20, 2024

Did they actually process all of those ipads you opened with the manager as exchanges? If not, thereā€™s probably not any record, as far as Apple is concerned, that this ever happened so I donā€™t think theyā€™d be included in whatever metrics Apple uses to determine return limitsā€¦

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Did they actually process all of those ipads you opened with the manager as exchanges? If not, thereā€™s probably not any record, as far as Apple is concerned, that this ever happened so I donā€™t think theyā€™d be included in whatever metrics Apple uses to determine return limitsā€¦
It would be logged internally but not linked to the customer id guess. It would be flagged and investigated as to why so many devices were opened and unsold.

Thatā€™s thousands of pounds of productsā€¦ need to look after the bottom line šŸ˜†

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024
If it was at the managers instruction to do so many returns then itā€™s fineā€¦ I just fine it unusual for so many to have same issue. But 1 pixel, itā€™s mehā€¦ on a retina screen 1 pixel is so so insignificant. As long as further pixels donā€™t fail, Iā€™d just accept it.

You could even have said to them Iā€™ll take it despite the dead pixel if there is a little discount or other goodie bundled. šŸ˜€
I didnā€™t want to push my luck. They were quite accommodating.

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024
No, they were opened prior to being sold with the manager.

profcutter

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2019
It was flagged as an issue with the production batchā€¦ manager is sending the iPads to Apple. But again, it was his idea to go through the iPads, not mine. We did this all in store.
When a certain aluminum PowerBook g4 line came out, I think it was maybe 2004? I bought one from the university computer store. Within a couple days, there were these round white spots all over the screen. Took it back, new one, same thing. Did it about 4 times, when the store manager said, yeah it looks like a defective batch.
Apple finally acknowledged the problem, replaced peopleā€™s screens for free. I ended up with a new one, and the screen was fine for a couple years till the spots showed up again.
With the amount of money youā€™re spending on these iPads, I would have no tolerance for defects. None. I would return your current one and wait a few months for either Apple to acknowledge the problem or for the next yearā€™s model. Iā€™d be really upset having to look at that dead pixel every day. Itā€™s too much money to settle for a defective display, IMO.
I know people get excited telling forum members they have lots of money and donā€™t care if the current machine is defective because theyā€™ll just buy another. Thatā€™s fine for them. For many of the rest of us, there are too many things to spend money on to take such a sizable chunk of it on a machine that weā€™re not happy with.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
When a certain aluminum PowerBook g4 line came out, I think it was maybe 2004? I bought one from the university computer store. Within a couple days, there were these round white spots all over the screen. Took it back, new one, same thing. Did it about 4 times, when the store manager said, yeah it looks like a defective batch.
Apple finally acknowledged the problem, replaced peopleā€™s screens for free. I ended up with a new one, and the screen was fine for a couple years till the spots showed up again.
With the amount of money youā€™re spending on these iPads, I would have no tolerance for defects. None. I would return your current one and wait a few months for either Apple to acknowledge the problem or for the next yearā€™s model. Iā€™d be really upset having to look at that dead pixel every day. Itā€™s too much money to settle for a defective display, IMO.
I know people get excited telling forum members they have lots of money and donā€™t care if the current machine is defective because theyā€™ll just buy another. Thatā€™s fine for them. For many of the rest of us, there are too many things to spend money on to take such a sizable chunk of it on a machine that weā€™re not happy with.
I agree you should be happy with purchase but Apple really should be clear about what their dead pixel policy is.

Every component in iPad and other is made to certain tolerances. The silicon is binned, the casing is checked to be within certain size specs, the battery capacities vary within a set limit, the display brightness is within a certain limit etc

This makes it economical at scale production. If everything is required to be perfect and more components are discarded the price of the device rockets.

This is why Apple should really be explicit that a display with x dead pixels, especially on harder to manufacture panels, is acceptable etc.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

motorazr

macrumors 6502
I did call Apple Support and got a senior advisor. He basically told me one dead pixel is normal for an iPad and he would not consider it an issue. Not really sure. Genius Bar folks said they replace for 1 dead pixel, no questions asked under warranty or AppleCare.
Apple phone support is a real mixed bag. So is Genius Bar; but the Genius Bar at least sees a lot of devices and has a better idea of typical. Also, they have support articles that should define whatā€™s acceptable.

The images you posted look like they qualify for replacement, unless apple has a new article specifically for the m4 (doubtful, but possible) ā€” so if you end up doing support route at all and they say no, make certain they actually look up the guide for display quality issues.

MarcoMHanna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2024
Apple phone support is a real mixed bag. So is Genius Bar; but the Genius Bar at least sees a lot of devices and has a better idea of typical. Also, they have support articles that should define whatā€™s acceptable.

The images you posted look like they qualify for replacement, unless apple has a new article specifically for the m4 (doubtful, but possible) ā€” so if you end up doing support route at all and they say no, make certain they actually look up the guide for display quality issues.
Yeah, I hear you. One of the Genius Bar folks did come by and checked out the panels and ran their internal test (basically solid colors) testing the subpixels. They verified every unit we went through had at least 1 bad pixel. He said, it would be replaced under warranty as well but maybe this will change with M4 iPads in the future. I really do wish they had a guide about dead pixelsā€¦ I only found a post regarding LCDs and dead pixels/debris under the panel but itā€™s vague/open ended.

They do say it can happen to a small percentage of products but this is for products 14 years ago now. https://support.apple.com/en-us/102187

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I agree you should be happy with purchase but Apple really should be clear about what their dead pixel policy is.

Every component in iPad and other is made to certain tolerances. The silicon is binned, the casing is checked to be within certain size specs, the battery capacities vary within a set limit, the display brightness is within a certain limit etc

This makes it economical at scale production. If everything is required to be perfect and more components are discarded the price of the device rockets.

This is why Apple should really be explicit that a display with x dead pixels, especially on harder to manufacture panels, is acceptable etc.
This story is from 2018 and alleged Apple policy may have changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.