Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexJaye

Suspended
Jul 13, 2010
Shocked that Apple didn't do anything to improve the battery life from the m1 and m2 (which have horrible battery life).But thinness is more important!
Speakers are commonly complained about on Reddit as well, due to the thinner body/frame.

Shame Apple prioritizes thinness over audio quality and battery life.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I’m utilizing the 80% charge mode limit. I’m just realizing that the iPad is counting a few hours before I last charged to 80%. So in actuality, I dropped from 80% to 42% in about six hours so my iPad is expected to last at least 12 hours at this rate. Screenshot attached for reference. By the way, should it be counting a few hours before I last charged to 80%?
Very few people know what Battery Usage means

If you use 2 apps at the same time (for example video streaming in pip mode), Apple counts that as 2 mins for every minute of usage

Using 3 apps means 3 mins for every minute of usage

Screen Time is much more reliable in that regard as it genuinely just means Screen On Time

Reactions: Scott-n-Houston

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
Use the 80% limit and usually have my 13” plugged in while using and I am still show 1 charge cycle.

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
80% limit doesn’t do jack with respect to cycles

if you have 2 cycles of 80 to 30 for Apple that’s a full cycle
While cycle count is a good proxy for battery health, there is a lot more nuance to it, as you pointed out from the above example. There is also rate of charging, temperature of the battery when charging, charge cycle start/end battery %, age of the battery, etc. Point being, just looking at battery cycles won't tell you the effective operating capacity (mAh) the battery has left vs initial design capacity.

u2u2

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
GTA
Definitely expected to hit over 12 hours at this rate. And that’s starting off at 80%. Still outstanding!
Also set the 80% charge limit on my 11” M4… did a mid day top off charge as it was going to be a very long period of usage. I estimate it would have exceeded 12.5 hours use from an 80% charge. A good portion of the usage was outdoors in bright lighting so the display was running 90 to 100% brightness. Will waite a few weeks before making any conclusions but this is a respectable starting point. Apple might have understated the battery performance!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Also set the 80% charge limit on my 11” M4… did a mid day top off charge as it was going to be a very long period of usage. I estimate it would have exceeded 12.5 hours use from an 80% charge. A good portion of the usage was outdoors in bright lighting so the display was running 90 to 100% brightness. Will waite a few weeks before making any conclusions but this is a respectable starting point. Apple might have understated the battery performance!
12 hours 80-0% at full brightness? Impossible.

Reactions: NARadyk and mabaker

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
While cycle count is a good proxy for battery health, there is a lot more nuance to it, as you pointed out from the above example. There is also rate of charging, temperature of the battery when charging, charge cycle start/end battery %, age of the battery, etc. Point being, just looking at battery cycles won't tell you the effective operating capacity (mAh) the battery has left vs initial design capacity.
Was only talking of how cycles are computed

not how health is computed

that too in simple laymen terms

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Pls share a screenshot, I’m certain you’re reading it wrong

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
My M1 had worse battery life than my 2018, new to new

Advantage of M4 is probably due to OLED you can put in dark mode to get a couple of hours extra I guess

u2u2

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
GTA
Pls share a screenshot, I’m certain you’re reading it wrong
Of course I am reading it wrong. Experiencing it wrong as well. Apple couldn’t possibly deliver the performance claimed they would /s. As I said I will waite a few weeks before I make any conclusions. Once the battery has had some more meaningful use I will consider further posting if it adds to the conversation. In the meantime I am off to a good start and very pleased with my purchase. With the exception of an iPod I have yet to have an Apple battery not perform in line with their claims.

u2u2

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
GTA
Those in your screenshot are 10 hours over the last 24 hours, not just since the last charge. To get a proper reading, tap on "last 5 days" and then tap on today.
Are there different versions of the battery monitoring feature? My unit reads “Last 3 Days”. Good info in your post.

ManuCH

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Are there different versions of the battery monitoring feature? My unit reads “Last 3 Days”. Good info in your post.

It says "last 3 days" because you started using it 3 days ago. Once you've been using it for at least 10 days, it goes up to "last 10 days".

To know how much each day did last, I just tap on the "last X days" and select the day I'm interested in. In the end it all depends at what time of the day you charge it.

Reactions: u2u2

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Please reread my original post.
“a mid day top off charge as it was going to be a very long period of usage. I estimate it would have exceeded 12.5 hours use from an 80% charge”.

Where’s the misinterpretation? This can be clarified very easily. Share a screenshot, please.

u2u2

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
GTA
“a mid day top off charge as it was going to be a very long period of usage. I estimate it would have exceeded 12.5 hours use from an 80% charge”.

Where’s the misinterpretation? This can be clarified very easily. Share a screenshot, please.
From what I see of the posted screen shots and the data provided on my own device the screen shots have limited value. They give insufficient indication as to the type of activity the unit is being used for, the brightness setting on the screen, let alone in relation to ambient lighting and what effect that may have, nor power consumers like the four speakers vs bluetooth or airplay audio. In short if someone wants to mislead you, screen shot or not, they can. On the other hand if someone is trying to give meaningful user experience on a forum posts data aligned a reasonable distance between Apples minimum specs and the higher review reports a reader can accept the posts contents, or not. Not is, of course, a reasonable choice. I exercise that choice often when making purchase decisions. If I did not do so I would probably own no Apple equipment given many posting on this very site.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
From what I see of the posted screen shots and the data provided on my own device the screen shots have limited value. They give insufficient indication as to the type of activity the unit is being used for, the brightness setting on the screen, let alone in relation to ambient lighting and what effect that may have, nor power consumers like the four speakers vs bluetooth or airplay audio. In short if someone wants to mislead you, screen shot or not, they can. On the other hand if someone is trying to give meaningful user experience on a forum posts data aligned a reasonable distance between Apples minimum specs and the higher review reports a reader can accept the posts contents, or not. Not is, of course, a reasonable choice. I exercise that choice often when making purchase decisions. If I did not do so I would probably own no Apple equipment given many posting on this very site.
Which is why I ask for all those relevant details. You provided a ridiculously good SOT claim in severely adverse conditions, which is highly implausible. In order to believe you, I need something. Otherwise I disregard your (and anyone's) claim as: "they probably don't know how to read the data", which happens A LOT. I always ask for both the screenshot and those relevant details. Otherwise the information is utterly pointless.

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
The battery life in the 13 pro is noticeably shorter than the 12.9 Pro. Like 1 hour less than the 12.9. Not sure if it's the first week of indexing or not.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
You’re so probably trying to act intellectual when I’m quite sure it’s just a case of reading the chart wrong

In my experience 9 out of 10 people read Apple’s chart wrong

So not something rare

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
You’re so probably trying to act intellectual when I’m quite sure it’s just a case of reading the chart wrong

In my experience 9 out of 10 people read Apple’s chart wrong

So not something rare

Would also need a screenshot of your Screen Time

As that’s more accurate

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
80% limit doesn’t do jack with respect to cycles

if you have 2 cycles of 80 to 30 for Apple that’s a full cycle
I agree that cycle are cycles no mater in big or small step but if I keep my 13” plugged in 90% of the time while using it with the 80% charge limit, it is better for the battery. I still have only 1 cycle on my battery after using my iPad for days. 😮

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I agree that cycle are cycles no mater in big or small step but if I keep my 13” plugged in 90% of the time while using it with the 80% charge limit, it is better for the battery. I still have only 1 cycle on my battery after using my iPad for days. 😮
Doesn’t work that way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.