Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
What do you not agree with?
Just because you use the 80% limit doesn’t mean cycles won’t happen

but if it’s constantly being charged cycles might not show but the degradation would happen and even faster than if you weren’t charging all the time with cycles adding up

• Haha
Reactions: Jackbequickly

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
Just because you use the 80% limit doesn’t mean cycles won’t happen

but if it’s constantly being charged cycles might not show but the degradation would happen and even faster than if you weren’t charging all the time with cycles adding up
Where did I say that using 80% won’t happen? How would degradation “happen even faster”?

You really must be making this up . . . .

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
We really need to see more tests with a constant-lumen output across an M2 and M4 equipped iPads, and also separate tests for 11" and 13" tablets.
This was done by Geekerwan, set to 300 nits.

IMG_3398.png

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
This was done by Geekerwan, set to 300 nits.

View attachment 2381537
This feels in line with what I’ve been experiencing with both my 11” and 13” M4s compared to my M1s. The battery seems to sip rather than drain heavily during intensive usage. Standby has been very good too; I left my 13” at 59% last night before bed and after 8 hours, it went down to 57%.

Reactions: EugW

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
OK Mr. scientist, answer my questions in post 52! Seem to be avoiding that . . . .

I am done here. You should not mislead people
It’s too much to type

I could explain over a WhatsApp call, but it’s too much effort

the gist is Apple doesn’t have any battery passthrough, so keeping it permanently on charge doesn’t mean the battery isn’t being used, but you’re tricking Apple’s algo so no additional cycles

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
This feels in line with what I’ve been experiencing with both my 11” and 13” M4s compared to my M1s. The battery seems to sip rather than drain heavily during intensive usage. Standby has been very good too; I left my 13” at 59% last night before bed and after 8 hours, it went down to 57%.
Overnight drain for me is 3-4% too but that seems excessive compared to the pre M1 or even pre iPad Air 2 era

those days drain would barely be 1%

and I’m keeping my iPads under airplane mode albeit with WiFi on

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Overnight drain for me is 3-4% too but that seems excessive compared to the pre M1 or even pre iPad Air 2 era

those days drain would barely be 1%

and I’m keeping my iPads under airplane mode albeit with WiFi on
Sure, but these iPads do more than the iPad Air era too. Background tasking, stage manager functionality, enhanced iCloud functionality, etc. There are more wake signals generated than previously, so that’s not surprisingly. Not sure 1-2 percentage points difference in overnight drain is concerning in its difference.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Sure, but these iPads do more than the iPad Air era too. Background tasking, stage manager functionality, enhanced iCloud functionality, etc. There are more wake signals generated than previously, so that’s not surprisingly. Not sure 1-2 percentage points difference in overnight drain is concerning in its difference.
Previous ones could do like a month plus standby, new ones would do much less

doesnt really matter because I use enough to charge daily

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It much be extremely heavy usage to get such poor battery life

why is the iPad Pro m2 getting under 4 hours? insane testing conditions I guess
Yes, heavy mixed usage (but standardized across the different tested models).

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It much be extremely heavy usage to get such poor battery life

why is the iPad Pro m2 getting under 4 hours? insane testing conditions I guess
Yeah, I have the M1 Air and assuming the M2 Air is similar, even though it’s the 13-inch model, 5.5 hours is ridiculously poor. The M2 Pro is abhorrent as well.

On an original iOS version, the only way you’d get that battery life is by extremely heavy usage.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah, I have the M1 Air and assuming the M2 Air is similar, even though it’s the 13-inch model, 5.5 hours is ridiculously poor. The M2 Pro is abhorrent as well.

On an original iOS version, the only way you’d get that battery life is by extremely heavy usage.
I’m sure M2 and M1 should have somewhat similar battery life
It’s probably the super heavy usage done by that guy
If you just use 100% screen brightness and 100% speaker volume while playing an intensive game, you could replicate that super heavy usage

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’m sure M2 and M1 should have somewhat similar battery life
It’s probably the super heavy usage done by that guy
If you just use 100% screen brightness and 100% speaker volume while playing an intensive game, you could replicate that super heavy usage
Yeah, probably. I’ve never been a fan of those kinds of tests. Too unrealistic.

I recall some people testing the iPhone 13 Pro Max on iOS 15 and they’d get something like 5 hours with extremely heavy usage. Almost no real-world scenario is heavy enough so as to get 5 hours on that device (on that iOS version).

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Previous ones could do like a month plus standby, new ones would do much less

doesnt really matter because I use enough to charge daily
It’s funny because back when the first iPad came out and it could last a month on standby, that was actually something Apple could market, since people were not on their devices the way they are today. Today, for me, a statistic of how long the battery lasts in standby is irrelevant, as I use the iPP daily. I’m more concerned with getting maximum hours of use out of the M4 iPP. Will be interesting to see how it performs when I travel in a few weeks. The lightness with the Magic Keyboard is certainly noticeable, and will be appreciated.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah, probably. I’ve never been a fan of those kinds of tests. Too unrealistic.

I recall some people testing the iPhone 13 Pro Max on iOS 15 and they’d get something like 5 hours with extremely heavy usage. Almost no real-world scenario is heavy enough so as to get 5 hours on that device (on that iOS version).
If you use 100% brightness and 100% volume, watch videos in pip mode while browsing on 5G, you’ll get 3-5 hours

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
If you use 100% brightness and 100% volume, watch videos in pip mode while browsing on 5G, you’ll get 3-5 hours
Yeah, but with that usage, you’d probably expect poor battery life even before starting the cycle. I don’t think any reasonable user would expect anything decent from that.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah, but with that usage, you’d probably expect poor battery life even before starting the cycle. I don’t think any reasonable user would expect anything decent from that.
In my experience all brand new iPads have been similar with respect to light and moderate usage

LouisMac90

macrumors member
May 24, 2022
London
With regards to battery life is anyone using the 80% max charge. Coming from my 15 Pro Max that dropped to 97% under 100 cycles. I have been using it but seem to be putting it on charge with minimal use as I don’t want it to drop below 30% battery life.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
In my experience all brand new iPads have been similar with respect to light and moderate usage
You know, that’s interesting, because in my experience, it had been like that until the M1. An iPad 4, a 9.7-inch iPad Pro, and a 6th-gen iPad were pretty similar on their original iOS versions with light use and low brightness (16 hours of SOT for the iPad 4 and 14 for the rest). But my M1 iPad Air skyrocketed to north of 25 hours. I reckon that’s due to my light usage: the processor is very efficient and my light usage on its original iOS version doesn’t even push it (I never update anything so it’s always been on iPadOS 15). So, original version, light use, and a very efficient desktop chip makes it almost a given that battery life will be amazing. I know some people have complained about M-series iPads’ battery life with heavy usage, but like you said, no iPad has ever been good with that usage (no iPad and no iOS device, for that matter).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.