Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I’m struggling now with this. I have the new IPP M4 with 2TB storage + the Magic Keyboard. I average around 4.2 hours to go from 100 - 2%. The most intense task I’ve done since owning this is watching a movie trailer in the IMDB app, others, safari has 4-5 tabs open of text, nothing major and brightness always at 50%.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I’m curious about why you find this pattern so interesting.

Speakers are the most ridiculously draining factor, I reckon they’re even worse than brightness and/or cellular. I’ve used my iPhones to play music with speakers when I had no Bluetooth speaker at hand and battery life was worse than the one I got with light, on-screen usage (that was maybe two or three times, ever). The iPhone was in Airplane and standby mode, playing downloaded music. There’s nothing more efficient than this. Using headphones gives me a battery life of something like 50 hours. Using speakers at full volume probably gets me three (Whilst changing nothing else!!!). Where’s the point in using this usage pattern? I just don’t see one.

It’s an issue that’s so easy to circumvent (Bluetooth speakers or headphones) and so utterly draining that I never use speakers in real life. Just by plugging in headphones or using Bluetooth I reckon I’d get four times as much (or even more) battery life, so this usage pattern just kills it fast and has no benefit.
That’s how I use
with new iPads 8-10 hours is normal with such heavy usage

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I seriously doubt you’d get 8-10 hours with 100% brightness and full speakers.
50% brightness 75% speaker volume with that kind of heavy usage

100% brightness 100% speaker volume means 5-6 hours with that kind of usage

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Speakers are commonly complained about on Reddit as well, due to the thinner body/frame.

Shame Apple prioritizes thinness over audio quality and battery life.

I prefer the lighter form factor of my 13" to better audio quality. Who buys iPad Pros for speakers anyway? They are good enough - slightly better or worse makes little difference.

As for battery life - it is quite good. I love how light the new iPad Pro is, makes using it much more comfortable. I think Apple made a good choice here, tbh.

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I prefer the lighter form factor of my 13" to better audio quality. Who buys iPad Pros for speakers anyway? They are good enough - slightly better or worse makes little difference.

As for battery life - it is quite good. I love how light the new iPad Pro is, makes using it much more comfortable. I think Apple made a good choice here, tbh.
100% agree with this. Thinner and lighter may not be a reasonable goal at the expense of other things.....unless you're talking about that heavy 12.9" ipad pro that we had to deal with last 3years. I was ready to go down to the 11" and sacrifice my ability to work (preferred the bigger screen due to remote desktop usage), just for weight alone...but thankfully the 13" is much lighter (side effect of being thinner and having less mass). While I too would love infinite battery life, I'm happy with the balance apple has created with battery life and light/thinness with the 13" this year.

And agree, I hardly use the speakers or judge the speaks of my ipads in the last 7 years that I've had one...dont really care that much as long as they are reasonably good, which apple has done in the last few years with their quad setup. I use my earphones anyways with any device if I care about really enjoying the dynamics of a good song.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010

If the speakers don’t matter to you, more power to you. Some use it as a primary consumption media device and a reduction in audio quality output for the sake of thinness may be a significant downside.

It affects some people more than others.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
If the speakers don’t matter to you, more power to you. Some use it as a primary consumption media device and a reduction in audio quality output for the sake of thinness may be a significant downside.

It affects some people more than others.

Sure, I didn’t mean to dismiss this need. But it’s not like it’s a night and day difference - in fact, it’s very similar. And people using it as a comnsumption device can appreciate the lighter form factor.

Also, headphones.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
For the money not really, that’s giving apple a pass, 13” is better than the 11” m4, but not even as good as the 2018 11” lol 6 year old iPad.
Possibly yes
but enough if you don‘t listen to music

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
No music, just video
I remember when I get my M1 11 it was a downgrade for audio compared to 2018 11’’. And and my M4 13 falls behind both but is louder than both. But all 3 are good enough only for videos. I don’t use iPad speakers for music.

ValppleFan

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2024
Anyone tested it with low power mode ?

As the chip is a monster by itself I wonder if we can see an improvement like we saw with the M2 MacBook Air on low power mode being faster than an M1.

We could perhaps see great performance and battery life using this trick !?

aboulfad

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2024
Brand new 11” M4, noticing somewhat shorter battery life than my iPadPro M1 (when I first got it). Can someone explain how to interpret the battery usage screen, I don’t see a total onscreen usage since last 100% charge. None of my stats show anywhere near 6 or 8 hours of usage.

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpeg
    IMG_0248.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 63

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Anecdotal, unmeasured I'm certainly recharging my M4 11 sooner/more than I was my Air 5 with auto-everything on both but the M4 is cellular and I am enjoying the new screen.

One of these days I'm going to switch to airplane mode for a week and get a better comparison. I expect the times will be similar.
I think the battery life is about the same as my prior Air 5. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One thing I’ve noticed… I have the max charge limit set to 80%, and every charge was stopped at that level before today. Today it went to 100%. Why? I assume to recalibrate the battery every 20 charge cycles.

IMG_5492.jpeg

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
That is some
I’m struggling now with this. I have the new IPP M4 with 2TB storage + the Magic Keyboard. I average around 4.2 hours to go from 100 - 2%. The most intense task I’ve done since owning this is watching a movie trailer in the IMDB app, others, safari has 4-5 tabs open of text, nothing major and brightness always at 50%.
Weirdly low battery life. Something must be going on

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

viking_01

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
One thing I’ve noticed… I have the max charge limit set to 80%, and every charge was stopped at that level before today. Today it went to 100%. Why? I assume to recalibrate the battery every 20 charge cycles.

Mine is set to 80% and did the same 100% top up once too. I think its time-based though rather than cycles, e.g every 2 weeks or something. My ipad arrived a couple of days after launch but is almost always plugged in. The cycle count was only 2 or 3 when it did it.

Reactions: asleep

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Hey, what is the overall views of the M4 battery life compared to M2 models? I know it’s subjective to usage etc. but I have a feeling it is the same as the iPPM2 from the posts here..

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
Hey, what is the overall views of the M4 battery life compared to M2 models? I know it’s subjective to usage etc. but I have a feeling it is the same as the iPPM2 from the posts here..
Battery life in usage is fine, just about the same as before. I’m disappointed with standby battery life. Seems like Siri and Find My are eating a lot of battery (4-5% overnight vs 1-2%). Not the end of the world, and seems like it could be an easy software fix.

Bluesky2011

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2012
London
Battery life in usage is fine, just about the same as before. I’m disappointed with standby battery life. Seems like Siri and Find My are eating a lot of battery (4-5% overnight vs 1-2%). Not the end of the world, and seems like it could be an easy software fix.
Is your ipad pro 11” or 13”?. I just got my 11” and the battery also drains 4-5% overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.