Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I compared my M4 Pro 11" to my M1 pro 11" and yes i noticed the M4 was not as detailed. Also got the M4 Pro 13" as well and that sounds a bit better due to the larger casing I guess.

The thing is though due to them being so thin now the rear casing and glass screen vibrate quite bad with medium volume. The 13 being much worse that the 11.

I know speakers have to vibrate to work but in conjunction with such a thin case this is what happens.
The 2018-2020 pros were incredible and had little to no vibration. They made less speaker holes on the M1/M2 models and it caused very very mild vibration on my M2 Pro. But these new ones seem to be similar to the old Air2 which was super thin as well and vibrated like CRAZY when you touched the screen

Reactions: Simacca

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Just went to Best Buy to mess around with the 11 M4 and the speakers do sound a bit more “hollow”. But not terrible compared to the M2.

The vibration is slightly more felt on the back than the M2 but it’s BARELY noticeable on the screen when tapping around. Like nearly non existent.

Hope this helps peeps.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
I wonder how the M2 Airs compare.
I a/b'd my M2 air against my 2017 10.5" Pro, which has excellent speakers considering their size, and I would say the Pro speakers have a bit more clarity. The Air speakers sound a tad "crunchier" and crowded in the midrange, but they are not bad!

Neither holds a candle to excellent headphones, which I have generally used a lot more than the built-in speakers.

jopie

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2022
Coming from a 2018 pro and now regretting having bought the new M4 one because of the extremely poor sound quality. Too bad I didn’t know before and none of this reviewers mentioned it.
It sounds like a 10 year old air instead of a M4 state of the art device .

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
Just went to Best Buy to mess around with the 11 M4 and the speakers do sound a bit more “hollow”. But not terrible compared to the M2.

The vibration is slightly more felt on the back than the M2 but it’s BARELY noticeable on the screen when tapping around. Like nearly non existent.

Hope this helps peeps.
Side by side is a big difference

TheBigDutch

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
Came back from the Apple Store, the 12.9 2022 iPad Pro is definitely louder and has more bass. This is difficult, the screen on the 13 inch is great (don’t get the nano version) but the sound is just not Pro. Don’t know if I will upgrade. You might as well get a 14 inch MacBook if you are a musician

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
you'll get very subjective answers...
True, I want to see them opinions =)

Subjective - if 12'9 M1 was 100%, 13 M4 is 85%-90% for me.

@Gelam thanks for confirmation, so it's also hardware change on drivers. The price for thinner form, in the end I believe everyone will get use to it with time. Unless you gonna use older 12,9 iPads to remind you :)
85-90% feels not that large but still a bummer.

Yeah I have a theory that the driver that is now circular has a larger surface area in an attempt to compensate the thinner driver chamber. But that was not enough. Or they might have not adjust the EQ optimally yet (hopium here).

Since I have no iPads ever, can you subjectively tell which Mac is this iPad 13" M4 sound profile similar to?
MacBook Air M1, MacBook Air M2 13" or 15"?

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
Oh man this reddit thread is so much full of infos compared to this MacRumors thread. That's very disappointing, apparently speakers on both models were downgraded, even compared to the 2018/2020 models. In the 12.9 the M1 has been a clear upgrade in speakers, and now it's even worse than the 2018.
I was still tempeted, I saw this morning they are 10% at a retailer, but for me speakers are extremely important... :(
Yeah the consensus appears to be the same everywhere.

I upgraded from a gen 4 iPad air to the M4 Pro 13. Audio quality seems good to me (I also have a 16 inch M3 MBP and it sounds comparable minus some bass response). But I am surprised that I have to crank the volume up to 60 or 75% just to match the volume of my iPad air at only 20% volume or so. I'm receiving a 11 inch M4 iPad today, so I will be able to compare later. Not sure if the volume scaling is just alot different from older iPads or maybe my speakers are just a bit quiet.

edit-

Just wanted to provide a little update. As far as my speakers seeming quiet, it seems like it's just a different audio scaling on these new iPads. 0-50% audio seems to go in much smaller, minute increments. Not necessarily a bad thing. But past 50% volume, it does really start climbing quicker. And at full it's just as loud as my previous iPad.

I've been able to test the new 11 and 13 side by side, and there are a few things one would expect. The 13 is a bit louder overall (bigger speakers and all) and also packs a slight bit more bass. But honestly, if I were not listening to these side by side for direct comparison, I would be completely happy with either one. The sound is very good.

I can't compare to any previous generation of iPad pros. Just my 4th gen air. So take this as you will!
From the consensus here the new M4 variants are 15%-20% worse than the old generation (plus the different scaling you mention). I think it is due to the different shape of the new drivers as well.

I am very curious to which MacBooks you find this M4 13" to sound similar to? (You seem to think its similar to a 16" with lesser bass?) What about the 15" MacBook Air or others?

Yikes! Yeah some others are claiming the same thing!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/1cspf7p
Yeah I was reading that post before making this discussion. Most recent comment said their iPhone sounded better! That is very strange. Does thinness loose more air chamber volume than a smaller but thicker speaker?

Glad I’m coming from an Air 5 and not as likely to notice any issues, because I’m not returning mine. ;-p

I don‘t really recall how my last 11” pro sounded.
I have never owned an iPad as well so I think I am coming in with no expectations. But at least I want it to sound as good as my M1 MacBook Air. Would be good if it sounds as good as an M2 15" MacBook Air though.

Have my m1 12.9 xdr, a m2 12.9 xdr and they are set up to the m4 13 oled.
audio testing to begin.
the m1 and m2 sound the same and the m4 does not.
there is not as much base on the m4 and the volume controls work differently. That is to say the m/1/2 go up and down in pretty even increments. On the m4 0-50 are the minutest of changes and then it really cranks.

it appears the m/1/2 are more robust in sound when compared directly to m4. They all get plenty loud and are easy to listen too.

IMO all 3 have More than adequate spearkers and I can’t see a decision be made on that choice alone.
Do the M4 13" sound as good as an M2 13" or 15" MBA?
Do you think this worse sound quality is solely due to the thinner speakers or can Apple kinda mitigate that with a more efficient EQ? (Considering they kinda use a different driver shape in the teardown video to maybe compensate?)

Greetings,

just to be sure: Did you disable the volume adjustment in the settings of the music app?

In General, the speakers of my 2024 13 do not have the clarity of the 2021 12.9 iPad. Sound like the mids are too strong. Maybe this is a result of the approach to generate a a solid bass (and bass sounds good on my device).
Speakers are still better compared to nearly all Windows Laptops, but within the Apple universe, this is a slight downturn.
However, maybe this will be optimzed with a coming iPad OS update.
Do you think this can be better with EQ from Apple?

Also which MacBook do you think your 13" M4 is comparable to? And what does your iPP 12.9 2021 is comparable to (MacBook)?

semajm85

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
IMHO, the 13” M4 speakers do have a little bit less bass and mid range compared to their M1\M2 predecessors. It’s also likely due to physics. Having a physically smaller chassis means less room for air to move which results in lesser bass and mid range.

That said, the speakers do not sound bad, heck they sound better than 95% of the laptops out there. The dude on Reddit that said his phone speakers sounded better needs to check himself on that opinion though, that’s a real stretch.

I do wish that apple would allow us to EQ the speakers on our own.

If the M1\M2 12.9” iPads were 9.5/10 in terms of speaker quality, I’d say the 13”m4 is an 8.9.

Reactions: klasma

Ryatzu

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
You guys use speakers? Kidding, but i dont see a problem. I only use the speaker to watch youtube videos. When watching a serie or movie then i just use the airpods.

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
You guys use speakers? Kidding, but i dont see a problem. I only use the speaker to watch youtube videos. When watching a serie or movie then i just use the airpods.
I have stuff running in my home office most of the day, I don’t want AirPods in my ears for that long, or even wearing my Bose over ears.
So yeah when you spend $1700Aud for a base model 11” I would like at least the same quality speakers as my M1 that was $500 bucks cheaper lol.

Reactions: Digitalguy

colinw123

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
In many ways, the speakers are better on the M4 iPads Pros. In a small number of conditions, they can deceptively sound worse to the previous model. The sound is cleaner and more robust on M4, these subtle improvements may seem negative to those who like dirtier sound.
That’s your option of course but it’s subjective, to me and others it’s definitely not as detailed, especially in the mid to highs.

Reactions: Surfsalot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.