Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I can’t compare 1:1 since I’m coming from a 12.9” M1 but the 11” M4 speakers are very underwhelming and I noticed the difference immediately.

Reactions: WhiteHawk

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
This is just another reason not to make a device thinner. I actually care about speaker sound quality. Apple only cared about thinness on the M4, they couldn't even be bothered to improve the battery life. So not surprised that they didn't do anything to maintain the same sound quality as the M1.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Ive done some side by side comparisons and although i originally thought m4 was inferior, i can now say they are the same/better
Which size? From what I have seen the 11" is similar, the 13" is very different.
Also are you comparing at full volume?

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Vibration is annoying with no case on 11", even at half volume. My 11" M1 doesn't do it.
iPad Air 2 has returned lol

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
As I understand from the tear downs I've seen Apple moved from a square speaker to a round one with the new iPads Pro, plus it's thinned and this a totally new speaker chamber design. It then I've heard some reviewers say it sounds better then before, others the same, and others worst? Kinda a subjective thing I guess.

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
As I understand from the tear downs I've seen Apple moved from a square speaker to a round one with the new iPads Pro, plus it's thinned and this a totally new speaker chamber design. It then I've heard some reviewers say it sounds better then before, others the same, and others worst? Kinda a subjective thing I guess.
I dig up further and turns out pre M1 iPP had circular looking (round) speaker shape as well so not sure hahaha.

Reactions: Pezimak

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
For reference these are some videos with sound comparison.

M2 vs M4
M2 vs M4
M4 vs Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I dig up further and turns out pre M1 iPP had circular looking (round) speaker shape as well so not sure hahaha.

Lol no idea then? I only went by what people testing it down said, the quad speakers is one of the pro’s best features. Shame the quality of them has degraded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackbequickly

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
As it was said on page number one the question of sound quality on iPads is very subjective. I’ve had every version of the iPad Pro except for 2022 and 45% of the time I use Apple AirPod Max the rest of the time I actually use the onboard speakers and I really didn’t notice a huge difference with the 13 inch IPP 2024 I’m not surprised that they had to compromise with how thin is actual device is

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
For reference these are some videos with sound comparison.

M2 vs M4
M2 vs M4
M4 vs Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra
The first 2 videos compared the 11" version. And the difference is much bigger on the 13" version, so when saying how much worse are the speakers it should not be assumed that the difference in speakers is similar between the 2 sizes (= 13" are a bigger downgrade compared to 11"). The third video does not matter much since it's not an iPad (if anyone is interested I have first hand comparison with the S8 and S9 line since I have several of them, but I think it's not that important).

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
‘Why would I run them a max volume? If you are expecting room filling sound, your are using the wrong device. I would NEVER run my volume on any of my devices at full volume. Why do you?
That's exactly what I was expecting. My guess is that most people complaining (me included) are not satisfied by the max volume ( = at max volume M1/M2 12.9 is louder and fuller and has more bass). I run my speakers at max volume most of the time. Because my use case is different from yours.
I watch videos or listen to stuff while cooking, having breakfast/lunch/dinner, while doing my gym at home, while shaving etc (I work from home most of the time and I have a home gym). Max volumes allow me to cover other noises like things cooking, dishwasher, washing machines, water pooring, etc. etc.
Only in the evening or at night I lower the volume or use airpods.
Don't assume that your use case applies to everyone else.

• Haha

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
That's exactly what I was expecting. My guess is that most people complaining (me included) are not satisfied by the max volume ( = at max volume M1/M2 12.9 is louder and fuller and has more bass). I run my speakers at max volume most of the time. Because my use case is different from yours.
I watch videos or listen to stuff while cooking, having breakfast/lunch/dinner, while doing my gym at home, while shaving etc (I work from home most of the time and I have a home gym). Max volumes allow me to cover other noises like things cooking, dishwasher, washing machines, water pooring, etc. etc.
Only in the evening or at night I lower the volume or use airpods.
Don't assume that your use case applies to everyone else.

I assumed nothing! I was just stating what I thought about the speakers on my iPad. Not sure if you know it or not but the iPad is PORTABLE and you can take it from to room where you are! I would not expect my iPad to provide music when left in the kitchen and I am in the master bath. My house is near 4000sf and that would never work!

I am glad I am not in the apartment next to you!

Done here . . . .

colinw123

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
I have both the 11" and 13" M4 iPads and comparing these to my M1 Pro iPad the 11" M4 has worse audio quality than the 13" M4, also i don't ever go to full volume, maybe up to 70% at times. And both vibrate the glass and rear case.

• Wow
Reactions: madmin

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I assumed nothing! I was just stating what I thought about the speakers on my iPad. Not sure if you know it or not but the iPad is PORTABLE and you can take it from to room where you are! I would not expect my iPad to provide music when left in the kitchen and I am in the master bath. My house is near 4000sf and that would never work!

I am glad I am not in the apartment next to you!

Done here . . . .
That's exactly my point, I am moving it from room to room based on where I am, and I would definitely not carry an external speakers from room to room (if I only where in one room all the time I could just use an external speaker). By the way, I never listen to my iPad if I am in another room (who does that??)
Don't worry about my neigboughrs, they could barely hear an iPad at max volume and as I said in the evening I lower the volume anyway.

Last edited:

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Vibration is annoying with no case on 11", even at half volume. My 11" M1 doesn't do it.
iPad Air 2 has returned lol

Weirdly my 11” m2 case vibrates. The M4 is barely worse and the screen doesn’t vibrate like the Air2

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
‘Why would I run them a max volume? If you are expecting room filling sound, your are using the wrong device. I would NEVER run my volume on any of my devices at full volume. Why do you?
Exactly I’m so sick of the extreme comparisons….speakers at max volume, screens at FULL brightness, etc. THATS NOT A TYPICAL USE CASE FOR 99 PERCENT OF PEOPLE!

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Exactly I’m so sick of the extreme comparisons….speakers at max volume, screens at FULL brightness, etc. THATS NOT A TYPICAL USE CASE FOR 99 PERCENT OF PEOPLE!
And I am so sick of people dismissing use cases that don't match theirs are only being 1% of people... You don't need to use those max settings all the time for them to be (very) useful in some situations.
Let's have Apple remove some notches from max brightness and volume and see how people would receive that...

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
In speakers there is the rule of good enough. I can easily pair my iPad with my home surround music system. But I mostly use the iPad, right now at least to listen to YouTube, and Podcasts. The volume, and audio quality is OK. I have a set of 2nd gen HomePods that I am going to pair with this iPad. The HomePods are a somewhat pricey solution but they integrate nicely. The Home Pod Mini would be a great portable solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.