Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is just another reason not to make a device thinner. I actually care about speaker sound quality. Apple only cared about thinness on the M4, they couldn't even be bothered to improve the battery life. So not surprised that they didn't do anything to maintain the same sound quality as the M1.
The 13” model is also much lighter and easier to hold.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I've never heard any rattling sound from either the 11M1 or 13M4 even when playing loud. They both sound pretty good to me, all things considered. However I'm usually playing my own vinyl recording that don't include ear busting compression...

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
‘Why would I run them a max volume? If you are expecting room filling sound, your are using the wrong device. I would NEVER run my volume on any of my devices at full volume. Why do you?
What about at 75-80% are they comparable?

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
I’ll chime in. To be fair only time I use my speakers on my iPad is for YT when I am working at my desk and sometimes I’ll watch YTTV. Coming from the M1 12.9, sure it may sound a little “tinny” but having read all these threads until I brought home my 13 M4 yesterday I was worried. In fact today in my same situation as watching YT, I never really noticed it. My 2 cents.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I would just carry around a bluetooth speaker. It's really unfortunate you have to buy and carry around another device to get equal sound out of the M4 to the previous gen ipad. I take the slightly thicker ipad for better sound over a thinner device with inferior sound everytime.

Reactions: WhiteHawk

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Here is my solution. The FiiO K7. This is a desktop DAC/Amp which has a true balanced feed Headphone amp. It also has Toslink, and coaxial digital outputs, RCA line outs, it would plug into the iPad using its USB interconnect. I have a K7 plugged into My Mac Studio and the sound on my Shure SE-535's earphones are float you off to "nar-nar land" good. With the other connections I could plug into my 1000+ watt home Theater system. But there are a number of really good type "D" stereo audio amps you can get at Parts Express. Parts Express also has some nice Tube amps of about the 15 watt x 2 category that would sound fantastic.

I am listening with the iPad right now with the FiiO BTR7, and the SE-535's. 👍

Here is the FiiO K7 at $199 each it is a sonic no-brainer. I got the model without Bluetooth.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 10.58.01.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 10.58.01.png
    431.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Reactions: Jackbequickly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.