Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcuzt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
Anyone else see the need for a mini pro version?

Give it the pro-makover with small bezels, the better pencil and so on. I feel a lot of times I want to look stuff up and the larger ipads are for backpacks and not pockets, and the iphone screen is to small. A iPad Mini Pro would be the same size as a notebook and would fit much better into my workflow. I feel the current mini is looking very dated and is not really up to spec the same way a Pro model would be.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
How big are your pants if you're able to slide a mini into your pockets! All of the non-pro models look dated to me, especially considering how Apple has transitioned their newer iOS products to rounded displays and corners. I don't see Face ID or slimmer bezels coming to the mini for a while. I think they want to maintain the pricepoints of the non pro models and a design update would certainly increase the price.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I think a Mini Pro is more wishful thinking than a realistic possibility. Before the Mini 5 was announced, many people thought the Mini was over. Now that it got a solid refresh, people think it already needs another refresh.

Of course I’d buy a Mini Pro. I love the portable size of the Mini. I prefer its size over every other size, including the phones. But I’ll just be happy if they continue to add new features little by little. If it gets refreshed more regularly, I would expect a Pro design eventually, but I don’t necessarily expect that to be happening in the near future.

Look at the base iPad. It received some of the most minimal changes this year. Apple likes to separate its products, and I’m just glad the latest Mini was treated as a mid-tier device, instead of an entry-level device. That’s a step in the right direction (the rumors were that the screen quality would be a downgrade compared to the Mini 4, but fortunately that wasn’t the case). There’s hope, but I’m not going to expect a leap to the top-tier just yet.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I would personally love an iPad Mini Pro as a highly portable device to go with my 12.9” - but doubt it will happen any time soon

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'd like a mini with Face ID + Apple Pencil 2 support, just to have a tiny digital "notebook" device. I don't think Apple would ever release a Smart Keyboard for an iPad mini though.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Give it the pro-makover with small bezels, the better pencil and so on. I feel a lot of times I want to look stuff up and the larger ipads are for backpacks and not pockets, and the iphone screen is to small. A iPad Mini Pro would be the same size as a notebook and would fit much better into my workflow. I feel the current mini is looking very dated and is not really up to spec the same way a Pro model would be.
Nope. I don't see a need for a Mini Pro.

I was all set to trade in my Mini 4 for a 5 when the 5 was released but based on my use of an Adonit Dash 3 with the 4, I discovered that the form-factor is a bit small for use with the Pencil. The Adonit Dash 3 works very well for note taking on the Mini 4 and I'm able to seamlessly use the 2018 iPad w/Pencil and Mini 4 w/Dash 3 for all of my digital notebooks/journals/planners.

Besides, I don't like the Pro chassis... I don't like a camera bump and lack of a headphone jack.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Nope. I don't see a need for a Mini Pro.

I was all set to trade in my Mini 4 for a 5 when the 5 was released but based on my use of an Adonit Dash 3 with the 4, I discovered that the form-factor is a bit small for use with the Pencil. The Adonit Dash 3 works very well for note taking on the Mini 4 and I'm able to seamlessly use the 2018 iPad w/Pencil and Mini 4 w/Dash 3 for all of my digital notebooks/journals/planners.

Besides, I don't like the Pro chassis... I don't like a camera bump and lack of a headphone jack.

I’m with you on that camera bump for sure. Do people REALLY take lots of pictures with iPads? I RARELY take a photo with my iPad.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I would personally love an iPad Mini Pro as a highly portable device to go with my 12.9” - but doubt it will happen any time soon

I’m in the same camp as you... I’m holding off buying a Mini 5 because of the hopes of a Mini Pro of some sorta.

marcuzt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
My exact thoughts... :D

Well for pants it would fit into cargopants pockets, but I was thinking more into fitting inside my coat pocket or maybe even a suit-jacket. With that formfactor it would be easier to make it fit into bags and also carry it in my hand.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017

just give me usbc .. bezel not main issue because you holding it.. i'm not a fan on bezeless.

marcuzt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
I'd like a mini with Face ID + Apple Pencil 2 support, just to have a tiny digital "notebook" device. I don't think Apple would ever release a Smart Keyboard for an iPad mini though.

I would not mind skipping the camera part, but usb-C is a must and I would love thunderbolt 3 as well.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The mini 5 is more powerful than the first or second generation iPad Pros, can use the pencil, the display is just as good (barring ProMotion on the second gens) the only thing is it's too small for a smart keyboard or quad speakers (which wouldn't change with a redesign anyway). Other than that it literally is a mini pro in all but name already.

marcuzt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
The mini 5 is more powerful than the first or second generation iPad Pros, can use the pencil, the display is just as good (barring ProMotion on the second gens) the only thing is it's too small for a smart keyboard or quad speakers (which wouldn't change with a redesign anyway). Other than that it literally is a mini pro in all but name already.

Well it is not USB-C and does not have the "Pro-design". I might get over the design not being pro if apple would at least make it usb-c.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
keyboard i use external so bigger

BugSitter

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
I would buy a mini pro on the spot. I use an 11” pro now, but I so miss my mini 4’s form factor. I may begrudgingly pickup the 5 during the holiday shopping season.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I would not want to go back to Touch ID and the old design of the 4 - but would be there to buy an iPad Pro mini on day one particularly if it had the triple camera setup as it could then effectively replace my iPhone for all but calls, while at the same time being much more useful.

Astonish_IT

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
Hello, I am an happy user of iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen since July 2016 and I should say that it has been the best technological hardware that I have ever bought in my life, for my use. I have a 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro as well but I am not an Apple Ecosystem guy, I mean, I gave up my iphone and using Android phone and writing this message from a Windows computer, so I like them both but iPad Pro for me is just amazing. I'm a designer, so beeing able to take the iPad out with me and drawing in it for hours on such a lightweright and long lasting package is lovely compared to the "old times" with laptops and wacom tablets if you wanted to draw on the go. Also I love it's word processing apps, image editing apps and publishing apps such as Pages. Could be lovely if Affinity Publisher came to the iPad. Most probably the only reason that I dont switch to iPad Pro completely is because for work I am making 3d nurbs models as well (yacht and car design) but apps like Shapr3d is already very promising and i think that in close future, we may see some more powerful alternatives. And the performance of Apple Pencil just crushes anything that I have used till now (on screen drawing, such as Microsoft Surface Book (with their built in technology dont remember the name), Microsoft SP2 (with Wacom technology). But my lovely iPad starting to show it's age, it started to lag on Procreate 5 as well. Not a huge lag but still it is there and the battery starts to last (obviously) less than before.

So as you may have guessed, I am waiting the 2020 iPad Pros to upgrade. Since i tend to use my iPad Pro for 3+ years, i think that even the slightest spec bump could be useful, especialy since we are this close to February / March. And I saw that on certain rumours, they say that Apple may use mini led technology. I will be honest, I love LED / AMOLED screens, so if it happens, I would LOVE it even tho the color accuracy is less precise compared to IPS (at least that's what they say) but what scares me most is an other thing, it is the burn in issue. I mean what do you think about that? In case if Apple adopts the Mini LED screens, drawing for hours on procreate, the tools of procreate would not burn inn to the screen? or is it a no issue on Mini Led technology unlike Amoled screens? Do you have any info or knowledge on that area? Or may be the apps will be redesigned such as the always on displays on Android phones that budges few pixels to avoid it? I know that noone can know the future and I am not asking fortune telling, I am just curious if anyone has a knowledge about it. :)

And do you think that Mini LED will come already with this generation? or do you think that it would be the one after?

And also the iPad Pro 11 inch looks lovely, saw it in the show and LOVE the portability of it, but I am scared that I may miss the 12.9 display after using it for 3+ years especialy when using apps side by side such as Excel or Word..etc and unfortunately in Italy i think buying and returning after a trial period is not as hassle free like in USA but i may be wrong about it.

An other reason that I want to wait is because I am not very convinced with the Apple Foglio Keyboard and Logitech's solution neither and i hope that with the refresh of iPads, they may introduce some new models (or not since i dont think that the design will change)

Thank you in advanve and sorry for my long post!

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I’m hoping for mini LED too. Not sure when it will surface for iPads though.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Obligatory reminder of the terms, so that everyone is really on the same page:

Mini LED displays are conventional LCDs with a backlighting consisting a grid of individually addressable LEDs.

Micro LED (µLED) displays are displays were every pixel is an LED made from inorganic materials.

Reactions: Donar

Astonish_IT

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
@Janichsan thank you very much for the info. Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, but i would like to profit from your knowledge and kindness:

- The ones that will be on the future iPads according to the rumors is Mini LED right?
- When you say conventional LCDs, does it mean IPS?
- Those technologies do have burn in issues as well?

Thank you very much!

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hello, I am an happy user of iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen since July 2016 and I should say that it has been the best technological hardware that I have ever bought in my life, for my use. I have a 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro as well but I am not an Apple Ecosystem guy, I mean, I gave up my iphone and using Android phone and writing this message from a Windows computer, so I like them both but iPad Pro for me is just amazing. I'm a designer, so beeing able to take the iPad out with me and drawing in it for hours on such a lightweright and long lasting package is lovely compared to the "old times" with laptops and wacom tablets if you wanted to draw on the go. Also I love it's word processing apps, image editing apps and publishing apps such as Pages. Could be lovely if Affinity Publisher came to the iPad. Most probably the only reason that I dont switch to iPad Pro completely is because for work I am making 3d nurbs models as well (yacht and car design) but apps like Shapr3d is already very promising and i think that in close future, we may see some more powerful alternatives. And the performance of Apple Pencil just crushes anything that I have used till now (on screen drawing, such as Microsoft Surface Book (with their built in technology dont remember the name), Microsoft SP2 (with Wacom technology). But my lovely iPad starting to show it's age, it started to lag on Procreate 5 as well. Not a huge lag but still it is there and the battery starts to last (obviously) less than before.

So as you may have guessed, I am waiting the 2020 iPad Pros to upgrade. Since i tend to use my iPad Pro for 3+ years, i think that even the slightest spec bump could be useful, especialy since we are this close to February / March. And I saw that on certain rumours, they say that Apple may use mini led technology. I will be honest, I love LED / AMOLED screens, so if it happens, I would LOVE it even tho the color accuracy is less precise compared to IPS (at least that's what they say) but what scares me most is an other thing, it is the burn in issue. I mean what do you think about that? In case if Apple adopts the Mini LED screens, drawing for hours on procreate, the tools of procreate would not burn inn to the screen? or is it a no issue on Mini Led technology unlike Amoled screens? Do you have any info or knowledge on that area? Or may be the apps will be redesigned such as the always on displays on Android phones that budges few pixels to avoid it? I know that noone can know the future and I am not asking fortune telling, I am just curious if anyone has a knowledge about it. :)

And do you think that Mini LED will come already with this generation? or do you think that it would be the one after?

And also the iPad Pro 11 inch looks lovely, saw it in the show and LOVE the portability of it, but I am scared that I may miss the 12.9 display after using it for 3+ years especialy when using apps side by side such as Excel or Word..etc and unfortunately in Italy i think buying and returning after a trial period is not as hassle free like in USA but i may be wrong about it.

An other reason that I want to wait is because I am not very convinced with the Apple Foglio Keyboard and Logitech's solution neither and i hope that with the refresh of iPads, they may introduce some new models (or not since i dont think that the design will change)

Thank you in advanve and sorry for my long post!
I really hope that the 2020 iPad Pro receives a significant upgrade like you've mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.