Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I dont think it costs apple that much extra to make the bezels thinner. Even if they updated the whole ipad lineup to have thin bezels on all their devices I would take that if there was no pro mini. I love the mini but hate those large ipad 1 bezels. it makes the device a lot larger than necessary.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Happy to disagree on this topic if you continue to believe anything you read.
emoji23.png
You'd be surprised by how many times I've questioned what I've read.

Reactions: Channan

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yup, so what. Believe in all advertisements and claims on the internet? I’d say the forum and site in particular cater to enthusiasts. Average consumers don’t browse the latest rumours, and yes there are usually some exceptions to the rule.

This. None of the non-tech people I know who own iPads or iPhones or Android devices look at these kind of sites or forums and would be bored to tears in minutes if they did. I'm a retired s/w engineer and even in that group there is a significant percentage who don't unless they are looking to solve a particular problem.
[automerge]1584814862[/automerge]
A broad audience doesn't mean it fully represents the average consumer, or represents them at all.

In fact it almost suggests the opposite. Here we have all the niche cases and weirdos. This broad audience does not represent Apple's biggest income stream...

"niche cases and weirdos" - probably the best description of us forum frequenters I've ever seen!

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
This. None of the non-tech people I know who own iPads or iPhones or Android devices look at these kind of sites or forums and would be bored to tears in minutes if they did. I'm a retired s/w engineer and even in that group there is a significant percentage who don't unless they are looking to solve a particular problem.
[automerge]1584814862[/automerge]

"niche cases and weirdos" - probably the best description of us forum frequenters I've ever seen!
I know someone who frequently looks at the MacRumors buying guide. They aren't tech-savvy and always ask for my help with their iPhone and MacBook.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I know someone who frequently looks at the MacRumors buying guide. They aren't tech-savvy and always ask for my help with their iPhone and MacBook.

As I wrote above there are always exceptions to the rule. MR is not a mainstream site that the majority of Apple customers all visit.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I would like a full-screen iPad at a lower price that’s not a refurb, because their availability isn’t guaranteed. 800 dollars for an iPad Pro is insane, and, as I would like to eventually upgrade from a 9.7 Pro, the Air 3 isn’t “new enough” - or cheap enough - for me to be all over it.

A full screen Air would be nice, but how will Apple price it? I’d like to pay no more than the current price of the refurb 11 Pro 64GB - 549. Mainly because I wouldn’t upgrade if it weren’t for Apple’s awful iOS downgrade policy and their deactivation of my iPad when it was on iOS 9, thereby forcing me to update it to iOS 12.

A full screen Mini would be nice, too, depending on pricing. I mean, if Apple goes full screen they will jack up the price, so I’m a little fearful that they won’t make the Air full-screen yet, reserving that feature for only the iPad Pro.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I would really like to see an ipad mini pro with reduced bezels like the pro has. Is there anyone else that would jump on one of these if they had it.
I would jump on one but I don’t need Pro specs. Just the Pro design with Air internals is perfect for me :D

Reactions: vddobrev

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I would really like to see an ipad mini pro with reduced bezels like the pro has. Is there anyone else that would jump on one of these if they had it.

How many years did Apple wait between mini 4 and 5? Almost 4 years? Doesn't seem to be a huge demand or Apple has been leaving money on the table? However, I agree they should release a pro mini. It should have been the mini 5. Apple slapped a new(ish) chip inside old parts and called it a new mini. I like touch ID but I passed on the mini because my old iPhone X and iPad pros had left that design behind. I couldn't make myself spend money going backwards. Had Apple released the mini 5 with the pro design... I'd have bought it.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Maybe not a Pro but put the A13 chip, 4 gigs ram, and Apple Pencil in a mini. Maybe ditch the cameras all together to make a small amount more space for a larger battery.

How much RAM the Mini 5 having?

Also would be nice having new up to date design with thin bezels, just dont call it a 'Mini Pro', by using this name the price will jump...

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
I really want an iPad Pro Mini! Space Grey please!
Key aspects:
-iPad Pro Design ethic shrunk down to iPad mini size
-support for Apple Pencil 2 - the Pencil 1 is dumb in comparison - share with iPad Pro 12.9
-USB-C
-6Gb of RAM
-WiFi 6
-gigabit-class LTE
a camera, single is fine
does not need to have a keyboard connection

Reactions: Breezygirl

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I would love a Mini Pro. But the way Apple is treating it, we are lucky we got the current Mini 5 refreshed.

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
I still think the mini is the best form factor, but it's bezels are too big. I'd love to see it updated in a more pro-like fashion. Keeping the same rough size and it would jump to what, 9"?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I'm secretly hoping there is an update soon as Amazon.co.uk are now only listing 64gb wifi models in Space Grey and Gold, both of which are "temporarily out of stock".

6092F8BB-1AED-40CD-96A3-60D0C8C71A2F.jpeg

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
As a newbie drone pilot I'd love to use a retina ipad mini to fly my mavic mini. Need lots of brightness and saturation particularly flying FPV (first person view) when it goes behind the barn, etc etc. There's also a certain symmetry about them both being minis.

So hell yeah, I'd get one in a heartbeat. The current ipad mini wasn't bright enough, I thought, when I played with it in the apple store. Need more nits.

AMP12345

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
Could Apple please make an iPad mini with the design language and performance of the iPad Pro. The iPad Pro makes a great digital sketchbook and the second gen Apple Pencil is much better than the first gen. I just wish it were smaller so it would be easier to carry around like I would a small sketchbook. I know iPad mini 5 supports the 1st gen pencil but I would love to see the Liquid Retina display with those thin basils and flat edges in the smaller size.

Rant over.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Could Apple please make an iPad mini with the design language and performance of the iPad Pro. The iPad Pro makes a great digital sketchbook and the second gen Apple Pencil is much better than the first gen. I just wish it were smaller so it would be easier to carry around like I would a small sketchbook. I know iPad mini 5 supports the 1st gen pencil but I would love to see the Liquid Retina display with those thin basils and flat edges in the smaller size.

Rant over.

I would love to see this too and have wanted one for so long. A5 is my preferred size for notes and ideas on the go, where as I use my 12" as more a desktop tool.

Reactions: AMP12345

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
This was just recently discussed and didn’t require a new thread.

But I agree, such a device would be nice. It would likely cost more than an Air 3 but what the heck.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
The mini 5 is more powerful than the first or second generation iPad Pros, can use the pencil, the display is just as good (barring ProMotion on the second gens) the only thing is it's too small for a smart keyboard or quad speakers (which wouldn't change with a redesign anyway). Other than that it literally is a mini pro in all but name already.
It could do with a smaller speaker on top, like iphone, to give some stereo though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.