Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The thing is there has always been potential, but the developers aren't making use of said potential. There's the basis of the gripes. The people who know how to code and make apps happen aren't making things happen for us consumers to see the potential being used.

You're not going to get us excited any more with just potential.

I think you meant apple, not devs. It’s always on them if the potential isn’t being met.

Reactions: macfacts

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
For those who complain about iPads not having MacOS, I would challenge them to use Windows on a similar size touchscreen device for 5 days and see how many times they resort to a keyboard and mouse instead of touch. A desktop OS doesn’t translate to touch-based interfaces.
On the other hand, now that Apple has finally embraced AI, I believe we will see a paradigm shift in how people interact with their phones and tablets. I predict that even touch-based interaction will decline and more people will shift to voice-controlled AI interaction. “remove the lens flare in the upper right and change the subject’s eyes to dark blue“ will be an AI prompt that can happen on a desktop or tablet. Why spend hours correcting photos when you have them completed in mere seconds by AI?

’AI will not replace people. People who use AI will replace those who do not’

I’d challenge you to look at iPad pros that have magic kbs. Seems like that could handle macOS. macOS doesn’t have to be touch based.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
haha oh man. People never fail to produce good comedy

e726abd62a7d08749d3a882889cdc78d.png
IMG_0272.png

'nuff said.

Reactions: Razorpit

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Let me guess: no eject button yet, right? ⏏️
Yes, there isn’t an eject button yet. Honestly, most drives don’t require one anymore. From my research, it seems that the only drives which would need an eject button are ones that have been set to “High Speed Data Mode”. This caches data from the drive on the OS, rather than directly transferring the files right away. I don’t think Windows supports this anymore by default, so the majority of external drives do not sell configured this way anymore. You generally have to enable this on an external drive. I still think it would cause less confusion if they added one, because many aren’t aware of this, and many are in the habit of ejecting an external drive before removing it from using their Mac. But as long as the external drive isn’t removed during an active file transfer, then it should be fine to just unplug it. That’s what I’ve done for years, and I’ve never had an issue with any of my drives. 👍🏻. I hope this helps. 👍🏻

• Wow
Reactions: Razorpit

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
What you on about the iPad is just a big iPhone it’s so bad it’s embarrassing; m4 for what exactly
The iPad is not just a big phone. I do things nearly every day on my iPad that I can’t on my iPhone. I use my iPad as my primary computer for my professional graphic design workflow, I couldn’t do that with my iPhone, most of the pro apps I use don’t even exist on iOS.

Reactions: Ludatyk and Ghost31

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I think you meant apple, not devs. It’s always on them if the potential isn’t being met.
Many of the issues people complain about bumping into are third-party app limitations. These fall squarely on the shoulders of third-party app devs. Nothing about iPadOS prevents devs like Microsoft from shipping more features in their apps. Microsoft has chosen to artificially kneecap their software, and refuse to give users any of the features we’ve been asking for in the feedback forums for years. That’s 100% on Microsoft, not Apple. Apple has provided developers with the tools to make great apps, and many developers make good use of those tools, and actually do that. But some like Microsoft don’t seem to care.

Reactions: Ludatyk and kc9hzn

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I personally felt a bit underwhelmed by the presentation but maybe I just need to see it in action. A smarter Siri is much needed and I do use Siri a lot...I just have to tell her to do something 3 or 4 times (she used to not be that way) so I feel like once I use it I'll think more highly of what was announced.

I do wish they'd of brought some semblance of Xcode to the iPad (Swift playgrounds are cool but don't really cut it) for times I want to travel but not risk my $4k laptop coming along. I would have liked to see an improved stage manager too. Smaller window icons on the side, better window movement, better monitor support (right now using a monitor feels a bit janky) and a better Files app.

That being said I do know Apple needed to come out with something related to AI this year since that's what the entire industry is doing so I can hardly blame them there. I think how they're doing it is really cool too with their heavy privacy focus.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I still can’t edit a TextEdit file created on a laptop (MacOS) on an ipad. … no, not even on an ipad “Pro”. Just did a Apple call where they suggest just using Pages, which does (somewhat) work better. But I have many plain text files that I work with regularly, that I can VIEW ONLY on the tablet. Why continue this omission for so long? It bothers me. And that along with the Notes app not making it easy to save notes as a text file, nor to backup Notes with any sort of ease.

Sorry, a little bit of a rant perhaps, but I don’t share OP‘s exuberance about the latest iPadOS version.
There’s not a text editor included in the operating system*, but there are PLENTY of text editors that are on the App Store. Some of them are productivity oriented (Drafts and Bear come to mind), plenty are programmer oriented. I just searched for one, and one of the top results, Runestone, looks to be pretty good, mostly programmer oriented, but pretty straightforward for run of the mill text files, and with good integration in the Files app and use of the system file browser.

* While text editors usually are included, there’s nowhere where that’s set in stone. Also, the default may not be good. Who even uses Notepad on Windows? I’m sure most people dealing with text files on Windows are probably using Notepad++ or something like that. It’s also pretty silly in my mind to suggest that an operating system requires a text editor.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
And thank you for sharing yours. If I remember correctly, Apple hasn’t shared sales numbers for the past 5 years or so. Just because Apple doesn’t show off their sales numbers doesn’t mean their sales have plateaued or gone down. You have to make quite a few assumptions to come to the conclusions you have. 👍🏻

And this form has rules regarding being courteous to other commenters. I will be the first to admit that I haven’t always perfectly conformed to these rules, but I think it’s out of place to toss an ad-hominem like “you must be reading Apple’s marketing material”. Rather than stating reasons you think this optimism is misplaced, it comes across like you just discredit it as Apple koolaid someone’s mindlessly sipped down…

Re: Apple sales numbers. ChatGPT to the rescue 😉

IMG_9935.jpeg

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Many of the issues people complain about bumping into are third-party app limitations. These fall squarely on the shoulders of third-party app devs. Nothing about iPadOS prevents devs like Microsoft from shipping more features in their apps. Microsoft has chosen to artificially kneecap their software, and refuse to give users any of the features we’ve been asking for in the feedback forums for years. That’s 100% on Microsoft, not Apple. Apple has provided developers with the tools to make great apps, and many developers make good use of those tools, and actually do that. But some like Microsoft don’t seem to care.
This is simply not true. Let’s take a really rudimentary example. If I’m playing music on Spotify on my iPad, and I’m in Safari and browse to a site with an autoplay video, iPadOS will stop Spotify to play the video and then I have to navigate back to Spotify to press play again after I stop the auto play video because the auto play video has hijacked the audio stack. On Mac, that autoplay video will not stop Spotify. It will still play until I stop it, but Spotify won’t be affected. This is a first party issue, and far from the only one, and will not be fixed by Apple Intelligence.

I don’t think you realize exactly how fundamentally monotasking iPadOS really is. You’re vastly overestimating the impact of Apple Intelligence.

thmsnt

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2023
This is simply not true. Let’s take a really rudimentary example. If I’m playing music on Spotify on my iPad, and I’m in Safari and browse to a site with an autoplay video, iPadOS will stop Spotify to play the video and then I have to navigate back to Spotify to press play again after I stop the auto play video because the auto play video has hijacked the audio stack. On Mac, that autoplay video will not stop Spotify. It will still play until I stop it, but Spotify won’t be affected. This is a first party issue, and far from the only one, and will not be fixed by Apple Intelligence.

I don’t think you realize exactly how fundamentally monotasking iPadOS really is. You’re vastly overestimating the impact of Apple Intelligence.
Issues like this is why I ultimately went back to a MacBook after an experiment with an iPad Pro as my main computer.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Issues like this is why I ultimately went back to a MacBook after an experiment with an iPad Pro as my main computer.
Same here. Aside from the fact that iPadOS simply requires a Mac for some actions, I tried very hard to make an iPad Pro my main work computer and it failed horribly. These days it’s most useful for my work as a second monitor, a task at which it excels.

Reactions: Razorpit and thmsnt

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Massive eye-roll here…. I literally only pulled out my M1 iPad Pro from my notebook travel bag to update it to the beta. It had been sitting idle and without a charge for over a year LOL

Cool little widgets and the math notes also nifty…. But seriously it’s just more gimmicks.

Without real “desktop” grade applications it’s still just a large tablet with extremely limited application.

The iPad is a “solution looking for a problem” and frankly using one mostly makes you think of the problems there are with the platform in general rather than thinking… “why would I ever use anything else”.

Sorry I just still don’t see it…. Feels like a dead platform with dying app support from developers.

Reactions: cardfan

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022

Note that I said many of the limits people bump into, not all. I was specifically talking about missing features in some third-party apps. Yes, I’m well aware of the lack of multi-audio stream in iPadOS, and I don’t really care about that. I know some people do, so I hope Apple will incorporate this into iPadOS. But the lack of multi-audio stream support doesn’t demonstrate that all missing features in third-party apps are due to OS limits, which is what I was talking about, so I don’t see this is relevant to lead with “that’s simply not true”…

Reactions: kc9hzn

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Note that I said many of the limits people bump into, not all. I was specifically talking about missing features in some third-party apps. Yes, I’m well aware of the lack of multi-audio stream in iPadOS, and I don’t really care about that. I know some people do, so I hope Apple will incorporate this into iPadOS. But the lack of multi-audio stream support doesn’t demonstrate that all missing features in third-party apps are due to OS limits, which is what I was talking about, so I don’t see this is relevant to lead with “that’s simply not true”…
I was just giving a single example out of many as to how Apple puts as many roadblocks and restrictions on iPad users, it was not meant to be a complaint about only the audio stack.

I think we’re missing a deeper question here. Why are so many third parties borking their iPad apps? iPhones generally don’t have this issue (Microsoft aside as they actually bork apps on all mobile platforms), Mac definitely doesn’t have that issue to the degree the iPad does. What is it about the iPad that third party devs treat it so shoddily? Surely there’s no good incentive for Adobe to make their products worse on iPad than other platforms.

What can Apple do to turn this around? Because it’s all fine and good to say our issues are coming from third parties but third parties have no responsibility to make the iPad a great platform, Apple does.

Reactions: Razorpit and dk001

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
The iPad is not just a big phone. I do things nearly every day on my iPad that I can’t on my iPhone. I use my iPad as my primary computer for my professional graphic design workflow, I couldn’t do that with my iPhone, most of the pro apps I use don’t even exist on iOS.

Yeah some graphic artists definitely have a workflow worth considering with an iPad Pro. Sadly… AI is making their jobs more and more questionably relevant for so many business applications that it will be about as niche a use case as music production which the iPad is also capable of doing pretty competently.

The iPad just isn’t ever going to be as popular as an iPhone or similar slate device or will it replace a full desktop computer until it has an OS capable of AND actively used to operate desktop class applications.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Massive eye-roll here…. I literally only pulled out my M1 iPad Pro from my notebook travel bag to update it to the beta. It had been sitting idle and without a charge for over a year LOL

Cool little widgets and the math notes also nifty…. But seriously it’s just more gimmicks.

Without real “desktop” grade applications it’s still just a large tablet with extremely limited application.

The iPad is a “solution looking for a problem” and frankly using one mostly makes you think of the problems there are with the platform in general rather than thinking… “why would I ever use anything else”.

Sorry I just still don’t see it…. Feels like a dead platform with dying app support from developers.
Yes, it’s dying so much that major desktop-class apps like ZBrush are porting over to it… 🙄. Use a Mac all you want, a Mac is probably better suited for your workflow, but clearly the iPad is not a “dying platform” when big players in professional creative software are recognizing the platforms value and porting their apps to it…

Reactions: kc9hzn

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
There’s not a text editor included in the operating system*, but there are PLENTY of text editors that are on the App Store. Some of them are productivity oriented (Drafts and Bear come to mind), plenty are programmer oriented. I just searched for one, and one of the top results, Runestone, looks to be pretty good, mostly programmer oriented, but pretty straightforward for run of the mill text files, and with good integration in the Files app and use of the system file browser.

* While text editors usually are included, there’s nowhere where that’s set in stone. Also, the default may not be good. Who even uses Notepad on Windows? I’m sure most people dealing with text files on Windows are probably using Notepad++ or something like that. It’s also pretty silly in my mind to suggest that an operating system requires a text editor.

LOL seriously… Anyone who uses a computer for more than just web browsing like idk say a DEVELOPER (who is actually the one being asked to MAKE APPLICATIONS FOR THE IPAD) uses a basic text editor on their OS. A simple text editor is an essential function that’s pretty much expected. The fact the iPad didn’t even have a calculator also speaks volume to the lack of care or attention Apple has given the platform for over a decade. It’s an embarrassment.

If you cannot convince developers to actually use an iPad you’ll never see a resilient ecosystem on it. Period… end of story.

Well not until ChatGPT takes over and writes fully executable application code thus replacing developers entirely for ever. But then humans are probably next on the chopping block. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: thmsnt

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Yeah some graphic artists definitely have a workflow worth considering with an iPad Pro. Sadly… AI is making their jobs more and more questionably relevant for so many business applications that it will be about as niche a use case as music production which the iPad is also capable of doing pretty competently.

The iPad just isn’t ever going to be as popular as an iPhone or similar slate device or will it replace a full desktop computer until it has an OS capable of AND actively used to operate desktop class applications.
And the Mac isn’t as popular as the iPhone either, so who cares who popular it is compared to iPhone? Apple has been expanding the functionality of iPadOS. And as I’ve said before, I’m not opposed to iPadOS running Mac apps like Macs can run iPad apps. But iPadOS is far better optimized for the iPad than macOS is, replacing an OS that’s fully optimized for the iPad hardware with one that isn’t (macOS) doesn’t make much sense to me. That doesn’t mean iPadOS can’t incorporate more macOS features and functions in a way that makes sense for the iPad.

Reactions: pdoherty

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
LOL seriously… Anyone who uses a computer for more than just web browsing like idk say a DEVELOPER (who is actually the one being asked to MAKE APPLICATIONS FOR THE IPAD) uses a basic text editor on their OS. A simple text editor is an essential function that’s pretty much expected. The fact the iPad didn’t even have a calculator also speaks volume to the lack of care or attention Apple has given the platform for over a decade. It’s an embarrassment.

If you cannot convince developers to actually use an iPad you’ll never see a resilient ecosystem on it. Period… end of story.

Well not until ChatGPT takes over and writes fully executable application code thus replacing developers entirely for ever. But then humans are probably next on the chopping block. LOL
I use my computer for a lot more than just web browsing, and I never have a need for a text editor app. And if I did, I could just install one, there’s plenty to pick from. I don’t see why people with an extremely niche workflow would be averse to installing free apps that cater to said niche, and would be offended that an OS doesn’t care to create a native app for every possible niche workflow…

Reactions: pdoherty

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Yes, it’s dying so much that major desktop-class apps like ZBrush are porting over to it… 🙄. Use a Mac all you want, a Mac is probably better suited for your workflow, but clearly the iPad is not a “dying platform” when big players in professional creative software are recognizing the platforms value and porting their apps to it…
Read my other post about graphic art workflows. Let me know how that looks in one year. We are pretty much eliminating those jobs from the general business workflow at a dizzying pace due to AI.

I don’t like this and I’m not saying it should be this way but it is true. The jobs and platform in general are dying. If someone wants to keep it alive with a pilot light for future generations that would be nice. But honestly…

The iPad was a platform that had more of a chance in a collaborative workplace environment and no matter how much companies are trying to get people to stop “working from home” it’s just never going back to what it was.

This really begs the question of how portable everything actually needs to be. Most apps have been reduced down to iPhone capable solutions and when people need a keyboard and a mouse they use a laptop or a desktop.

No one. Not a single human being who is t a graphic artist ever says…. Damn I really need a tablet for this.

It’s just not a thing and won’t ever be a thing at this rate.

Even if you could draw on and touch interact with your 65” OLED flatscreen TV… how many people do you think would actually bother to do it???

Again the iPad is a “solution looking for a problem.”

They’ve had a decade and a half to change people’s workflow with something better. Apple failed miserably with this.

Reactions: dk001

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I use my computer for a lot more than just web browsing, and I never have a need for a text editor app. And if I did, I could just install one, there’s plenty to pick from. I don’t see why people with an extremely niche workflow would be averse to installing free apps that cater to said niche, and would be offended that an OS doesn’t care to create a native app for every possible niche workflow…
Development is hardly a niche workflow.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The thing is there has always been potential, but the developers aren't making use of said potential. There's the basis of the gripes. The people who know how to code and make apps happen aren't making things happen for us consumers to see the potential being used.

You're not going to get us excited any more with just potential.
Excellent point. And far too many on here rail on Apple for what is seen as a lackluster update, when developers, as a whole, appear to have stuck with the Mac side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.