Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Please tell me that the color tinting icons on the home screen is an option. One of the reasons I dumped android was because of that childish pathetic coloring book UI they adopted. I would hate to have to dump Apple too and go elsewhere, because there isn’t anywhere else to go that I know of.

Come on, manufacturers, stop screwing with the home screens! It is something that we have to look at all the time.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Please tell me that the color tinting icons on the home screen is an option. One of the reasons I dumped android was because of that childish pathetic coloring book UI they adopted. I would hate to have to dump Apple too and go elsewhere, because there isn’t anywhere else to go that I know of.

Come on, manufacturers, stop screwing with the home screens! It is something that we have to look at all the time.
You can still use the current icons, they’re labeled “light mode icons”. 👍🏻

• Love
Reactions: Iwavvns

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
There’s not a text editor included in the operating system*, but there are PLENTY of text editors that are on the App Store. Some of them are productivity oriented (Drafts and Bear come to mind), plenty are programmer oriented. I just searched for one, and one of the top results, Runestone, looks to be pretty good, mostly programmer oriented, but pretty straightforward for run of the mill text files, and with good integration in the Files app and use of the system file browser.

* While text editors usually are included, there’s nowhere where that’s set in stone. Also, the default may not be good. Who even uses Notepad on Windows? I’m sure most people dealing with text files on Windows are probably using Notepad++ or something like that. It’s also pretty silly in my mind to suggest that an operating system requires a text editor.
Using Notepad on Windows and its Mac equivalent could hardly be a more basic common work need. Yes many people prefer cloud based stuff like Google Docs but not for everything and certainly not for any degree of privacy.

Thanks for the ideas, but Drafts and Runestone both can not even open a simple text file via the iPad Files app that I had saved, one was plaintext file, the other Word (*.docx). So, like the past efforts that proved fruitless with even more 3rd party software trying to do this fundamental task on a tablet, it remains a severe limitations for anyone working with written files professionally or personally to go between ipad and desktop.

Perhaps I’ll try Bear but it sounds familiar re: having done so already years ago, to no end. Attachments are what I described above, what opening a small text file looks like on ipad, first using Drafts, then using Runestone.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpeg
    IMG_0428.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: atomic.flip

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Using Notepad on Windows and its Mac equivalent could hardly be a more basic common work need. Yes many people prefer cloud based stuff like Google Docs but not for everything and certainly not for any degree of privacy.

Thanks for the ideas, but Drafts and Runestone both can not even open a simple text file via the iPad Files app that I had saved, one was plaintext file, the other Word (*.docx). So, like the past efforts that proved fruitless with even more 3rd party software trying to do this fundamental task on a tablet, it remains a severe limitations for anyone working with written files professionally or personally to go between ipad and desktop.

Perhaps I’ll try Bear but it sounds familiar re: having done so already years ago, to no end. Attachments are what I described above, what opening a small text file looks like on ipad, first using Drafts, then using Runestone.
If you want a normal word processor app that can open docx files, Apple makes Pages for that. I think it can even export as plaintext, though I don’t know for sure because I’ve never done that.

Reactions: kc9hzn

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Perhaps this is the wrong thread for such efforts, but another basic task that ipads still can’t do, is clear the Junk mail folder (same for iphone), it only works using the MacOS version of the Mail app. Which is quite annoying and deceptively not a small thing, since there’s like 50 spam emails per day there, and plenty of instances when the Junk folder needs to be looked into for an important security code email or similar. Trying to think of more examples, can’t right now, but I’m sure there are several other fundamental things that remain absurd to not be able to do on ipad. The fact that some are (rightfully, finally) cheering the addition of a #*$(!$# CAL-culator app coming finally, speaks volumes.

EDIT —- OK figured it out, thanks OP!

Last edited:

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Perhaps this is the wrong thread for such efforts, but another basic task that ipads still can’t do, is clear the Junk mail folder (same for iphone), it only works using the MacOS version of the Mail app. Which is quite annoying and deceptively not a small thing, since there’s like 50 spam emails per day there, and plenty of instances when the Junk folder needs to be looked into for an important security code email or similar. Trying to think of more examples, can’t right now, but I’m sure there are several other fundamental things that remain absurd to not be able to do on ipad. The fact that some are (rightfully, finally) cheering the addition of a #*$(!$# CAL-culator app coming finally, speaks volumes.
I can clear my junk folder in the Mail app no problem on my iPad. You go to the Junk folder, tap Edit at the top right, Select All, and then Delete.

Reactions: ndouglas

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I can clear my junk folder in the Mail app no problem on my iPad. You go to the Junk folder, tap Edit at the top right, Select All, and then Delete.
Genius — thank you very much! One of those things that I overlook when they involved those “ . . . “ three little dots. Never thought to try the “edit” part or even saw it before. 🤗 Awesome.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Genius — thank you very much! One of those things that I overlook when they involved those “ . . . “ three little dots. Never thought to try the “edit” part or even saw it before. 🤗 Awesome.
You’re welcome, I’m glad I was able to be helpful. 🙂👍🏻

Reactions: FkCombustion

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
This is laughable. First you admit that shipped unit numbers are unavailable, but then you claim that iPad unit sales numbers are low. You can’t possibly know this, because the data doesn’t exist according to you. They’re supposedly “hiding” it. You’re just stating your opinions as facts…
I never said they aren’t available at all. I believe I said they aren’t reporting it in their quarterly earnings report but the data is pretty publicly available.

It’s just a change to the format of a few charts that investors get to see handed to them. But anyone that wants the information can get to it pretty easily.

The change in format simplifies a chart instead of having tons of small slices on a pie. The number was deemed to be insufficient to merit its own segment on that chart. I think claiming they’re hiding it is blowing things out of proportion.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I never said they aren’t available at all. I believe I said they aren’t reporting it in their quarterly earnings report but the data is pretty publicly available.

It’s just a change to the format of a few charts that investors get to see handed to them. But anyone that wants the information can get to it pretty easily.

The change in format simplifies a chart instead of having tons of small slices on a pie. The number was deemed to be insufficient to merit its own segment on that chart. I think claiming they’re hiding it is blowing things out of proportion.
I’m pretty sure it was you earlier in the conversation that was claiming that these numbers were being hidden by Apple to make it look better or something. I can look back, but I was pretty sure it was you.

PS, sorry if it is the case that I’ve confused you with someone else, I’m involved in two similar threads currently, so it’s possible I confused you with someone else I guess.

Reactions: atomic.flip

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
I’m pretty sure it was you earlier in the conversation that was claiming that these numbers were being hidden by Apple to make it look better or something. I can look back, but I was pretty sure it was you.

PS, sorry if it is the case that I’ve confused you with someone else, I’m involved in two similar threads currently, so it’s possible I confused you with someone else I guess.
What I said was “Eventually sales drop off until the process cannot be justified to investors. Which is why they don’t officially report mac, iPad etc. sales figures on quarterly reports anymore. LOL”

Which is still true. The sales figures are just not impactful enough to justify or merit reporting on the quarterly reports as a separate segment.

You highlight things that you want people to focus on. There is no conspiracy here nor any accusation.

But honestly iPad is not doing as well as any of us ever hoped it would.

It’s kinda sad but I have hope that something will come from all of this. Currently though it’s just too “unique” to be universally interchangeable with existing tools.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
What I said was “Eventually sales drop off until the process cannot be justified to investors. Which is why they don’t officially report mac, iPad etc. sales figures on quarterly reports anymore. LOL”

Which is still true. The sales figures are just not impactful enough to justify or merit reporting on the quarterly reports as a separate segment.

You highlight things that you want people to focus on. There is no conspiracy here nor any accusation.

But honestly iPad is not doing as well as any of us ever hoped it would.

It’s kinda sad but I have hope that something will come from all of this. Currently though it’s just too “unique” to be universally interchangeable with existing tools.
Can we agree that the iPad isn’t a “dying product”?

Reactions: Isengardtom

cutlub

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
I think the iPad target market is mostly for younger and older demographic. All of my friends with kids, grandparents and mother use them almost exclusively. They absolutely adore them. Everyone posting on MR tends to be power users that will complain about free ice cream. I hope the new OS will make their target demographic very happy.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Can we agree that the iPad isn’t a “dying product”?

Well… it’s not dead. But as a capable piece of hardware it’s being strangled by iOS/iPadOS. And that in a sense is killing it off earlier than it would.

Failure to thrive could also be used. Haha.

But really all this is based on assumptions and expectations from similar products which frankly there are few genuinely similar products. It’s in a niche.

But I believe many people would like to see it break out of the niche it currently lives in.

I just don’t see the iPad as a vehicle for change or innovation and that is honestly on Apple not on developers who haven’t created what ever app for it. Apple needs to set the tone and pace for the market to follow as they always have.

Everything awesome that’s ever come from Apple has been rather disruptive in the market and that’s a great thing in my opinion. I’d like them to do more of that if at all possible.

Reactions: dk001 and Isamilis

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
I think the iPad target market is mostly for younger and older demographic. All of my friends with kids, grandparents and mother use them almost exclusively. They absolutely adore them. Everyone posting on MR tends to be power users that will complain about free ice cream. I hope the new OS will make their target demographic very happy.
To be fair I browse this site and post on my iPhone. The iPad is just overkill for this.

My iPad Pro I use for sketching musical ideas in various apps. But then I need to import to my Mac or pc to finalize the work.

That’s still a workflow challenge. I believe the M1 has been heavily underutilized and I don’t even have a new M4 so no idea how underutilized it is or will be. But really getting developers to port Mac applications to iPadOS is NOT a trivial affair.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Well… it’s not dead. But as a capable piece of hardware it’s being strangled by iOS/iPadOS. And that in a sense is killing it off earlier than it would.

Failure to thrive could also be used. Haha.

But really all this is based on assumptions and expectations from similar products which frankly there are few genuinely similar products. It’s in a niche.

But I believe many people would like to see it break out of the niche it currently lives in.

I just don’t see the iPad as a vehicle for change or innovation and that is honestly on Apple not on developers who haven’t created what ever app for it. Apple needs to set the tone and pace for the market to follow as they always have.

Everything awesome that’s ever come from Apple has been rather disruptive in the market and that’s a great thing in my opinion. I’d like them to do more of that if at all possible.
Obviously you’re free to your opinion, but I disagree. I use an iPad as my primary computer, and know several others who do the same. One of the things I like about iPadOS is that it is innovative. Rather than simply copy pasting things from macOS, it finds ways to make them better, at least in my opinion. 👍🏻

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Obviously you’re free to your opinion, but I disagree. I use an iPad as my primary computer, and know several others who do the same. One of the things I like about iPadOS is that it is innovative. Rather than simply copy pasting things from macOS, it finds ways to make them better, at least in my opinion. 👍🏻
And that is genuinely awesome. I wish I could use it as my primary system as it would be lighter than a laptop and the battery life is tremendous. But it’s still missing some key applications I require.

What would be really awesome for me is if they would make more game ports to iPad OS. I play a decent amount of games and I know the hardware is easily capable of better than last gen console graphics and possibly on par with current gen.

But otherwise much of what I do is very memory intensive work which the 16gb in the iPad Pro is still too little to satisfy.

Reactions: dk001 and Kal Madda

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
And that is genuinely awesome. I wish I could use it as my primary system as it would be lighter than a laptop and the battery life is tremendous. But it’s still missing some key applications I require.

What would be really awesome for me is if they would make more game ports to iPad OS. I play a decent amount of games and I know the hardware is easily capable of better than last gen console graphics and possibly on par with current gen.

But otherwise much of what I do is very memory intensive work which the 16gb in the iPad Pro is still too little to satisfy.
agreed on this - it's a great platform to bring games. There seems to be some (limited) evolution going on with this finally. It's a start

I’m sorry but this message sounds like someone from Apple Marketing trying to spice up the conversation. LOL.

Just do a Google search for iPadOS 18 reviews and see what most “people” are saying. (Not just news outlets parroting the PR speak.)

It’s an underwhelming update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iPadPro/comments/1dcrs3h
that "review" is from a typical Mac user. All this silly focus on "multitasking". The iPad actually shines the most as a focus device.
Multi windowing on a 13" and smaller screen is not multitasking.
Multitasking is for example using you iMac and iPad with universal control, controlled with one keyboard and having teams open on the iPad (maybe with outlook in Split View) while the iMac has my accounting software open.

Messing around with multiple windows on a small screen is not multi tasking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.