Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

Suspended
Jul 11, 2022
No iPad will be sold anymore because it doesn't run Windows or MacOS. Nobody is buying such a limited device. Only if iPads run MacOS or Windows, will iPads start selling again.

iPad OS 18 needs to be deleted and MacOS or Windows greeted.

/s

Last edited:

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I still can't switch apps or do anything else while videos are rendering. And the Files app didn't get any improvements.

I really like using my iPad for most of what I do, but they didn't really do enough to make me want to buy a new iPad Pro.
Everyone is different off course but I only buy a new product when the hardware improvements are big enough for me, or when my current device is damaged, lost or the battery is getting bad.

The new OLED iPad Pro did that for me.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
No iPad will be sold anymore because it doesn't run Windows or MacOS. Nobody is buying such a limited device. Only if iPads run MacOS or Windows, will iPads start selling again.

/s
😊

It’ll be very interesting to see what the sales numbers will be for the iPads this and next quarter. The only reason there was a “slump“ is because people were waiting for updates, and we didn’t get any last year.

not because the product line is “dying”

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Revolutionary updates stopped when the icon showing the cogs turning during updates ceased to be a thing. We have not have any revolutionary updates since.

We have had some amazing updates but not any that have involved revolutions.

• Haha
Reactions: Supermallet

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
You’ll see if Apple Intelligence keeps its promises. In the rest of the world we‘ll see it a year later. I‘m still quite sceptical - it reminds me of Siri or the Shortcuts app that started out promising, but after that stayed limited and neglected for years.

Also, as this seems to be U.S.-only for now and as even in the U.S. Apple is planning to roll out features bit by bit over the next year, I guess we won‘t have a halfway feature complete, working Apple Intelligence before iOS/iPadOS 20.

Math notes looks like a fun gimmick, the new handwriting features are welcome (although, again, let’s see how they work in the real world. The existing handwriting features have been a mixed bag for me), the new control center seems useful - but apart from that, it‘s another meagre update that gets more disappointing the more powerful ipads get.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Oh my goodness. Apple Intelligence is also coming to the Mac. It’s not an iPad only feature…

The only thing iPad has now over the Mac is touch, cell and cheaper.
Portability and form factor, that‘s the main reason I have one. I can even put a 10 inch ipad in a large coat pocket and it fits nicely in my man-purse. Also I don‘t like that fold up form factor when using a laptop in bed or on the couch, or even when carrying it around the house.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I still can't switch apps or do anything else while videos are rendering. And the Files app didn't get any improvements.

I really like using my iPad for most of what I do, but they didn't really do enough to make me want to buy a new iPad Pro.
The Files app did get improvements, and might get more over the course of the betas. Last year the Files app got several improvements, even though none were announced for it. Already in the first beta they have added an option for iCloud Drive files to “keep downloaded”, which will prevent the file from automatically offloading from device storage after a while of no use. It also got the new tab bar option for navigation. 👍🏻

ZiBart

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2021
I think it's a great update for the Air and lower tiers of iPads. It's a yawn update for the Pro version of iPads as it still holds back their hardware potential and to most, doesn't unlock the value proposition of the Pro's. Give the Air's a high refresh rate OLED option, and cancel or leave the Pro's to the niche market of those wanting the absolute best at any cost regardless of function. It's annoying that Apple holds back the OLED/mini led and/or even high refresh screens just for Pro models when non "pro" versions of tablets elsewhere have had this feature for years.

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
The Files app did get improvements, and might get more over the course of the betas. Last year the Files app got several improvements, even though none were announced for it. Already in the first beta they have added an option for iCloud Drive files to “keep downloaded”, which will prevent the file from automatically offloading from device storage after a while of no use. It also got the new tab bar option for navigation. 👍🏻
Did it finally get image previews for Photos/videos stored in iCloud or on a network drive? It’s insane to me that only locally stored files have image previews.

Finder on the Mac shows image previews for (undownloaded) Icloud photos and the same is true for network storage.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
iPadOS 18 is a great update, besides all of the complaining it didn’t “push the needle” or whatever for some people. The customizable Control Center will basically add the functionality of macOS Menu Bar Apps to iPadOS. The new Settings app design is great, and Apple Intelligence is going to be huge. Just the few workflows they demonstrated with it show it is likely going to revolutionize multitasking on iPadOS. Sadly, we have to wait till fall to test the AI integration, but from what I’ve seen, I’m convinced this will be game changing. I think people are only looking at the features specific to iPad, and forgetting the big picture with Apple Intelligence. And even with the new features available in the first beta of iPadOS 18, I’m happy with this update.

Something missed in the shuffle is also that Apple just added a ton of new features and tools in Swift that will make it easier for App developers to port their software with Swift, and provide more desktop-class apps. Even the top page of the iPadOS 18 Developer page is encouraging developers to provide dekstop-class apps and experiences for iPadOS. Apple is definitely pushing for developers to add desktop-level functionality into their apps.

Also, so far the first developer beta has given me better battery runtime than what I was getting on the latest public version of iPadOS 17. It seems like Apple improved stability and efficiency this go round, which makes sense with the fact they paused development to specifically address bugs. Not every update can be earth shattering. Though I think Apple Intelligence is the big part of the story we’re not seeing yet, and I think it will absolutely revolutionize the experience. 👍🏻
Yes but it will only run on a device with a M processor which means MINI 6 can’t get Apple AI.

• Sad
Reactions: Mac47 and Kal Madda

FkCombustion

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2024
Well, ZBrush is, I’m guessing more will probably follow suite. We’ve seen desktop app after desktop app port over the last couple years, so I’m pretty sure that trend will continue. Also, the “iPad doesn’t have an Instagram app” argument is overrated. I don’t think macOS has a native Instagram app either. And that’s not something Apple is responsible for, that’s a decision made by the developers of Instagram, not Apple… It’s very easy to use the web app, and the iPad can natively run the iPhone version of Instagram.
I know how app development works 🤣

You said “will make it easier for App developers to port their software with Swift”

So you’re right, that’s a decision for instagram not Apple. I doubt they’ll do it. I’m not crying over the loss of instagram, it’s not even installed on my phone! But it’s a great example of how iPad OS is last in priority for most developers.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Did it finally get image previews for Photos/videos stored in iCloud or on a network drive? It’s insane to me that only locally stored files have image previews.

Finder on the Mac shows image previews for (undownloaded) Icloud photos and the same is true for network storage.
I just checked, and images and videos on my iCloud Drive folder show thumbnails and if I tap on them, they open in Quick Look just like photos or videos on native storage. Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: DaSal

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I know how app development works 🤣

You said “will make it easier for App developers to port their software with Swift”

So you’re right, that’s a decision for instagram not Apple. I doubt they’ll do it. I’m not crying over the loss of instagram, it’s not even installed on my phone! But it’s a great example of how iPad OS is last in priority for most developers.
Just because it’s last in priority for some developers doesn’t mean it’s last in priority for all. With Instagram, it kind of makes sense because most people use their phones for social media type stuff like that, so having a native version of Instagram for iPhone makes more sense than one for iPad and Mac. But it seems like iPadOS is becoming a higher priority for some developers of desktop-class software like Octane X, Davinci Resolve, ZBrush, etc. 👍🏻

Reactions: DaSal

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Apple wants you to buy a mac to develop software, if they made iPad more "pro", that would cannibalize mac sales
That makes no sense and is not how App;e or any other competent firm does business.

I guess we won‘t have a halfway feature complete, working Apple Intelligence before iOS/iPadOS 20.

Nah. Apple's AI will be operational pretty much right now on devices that are strong enough, just slowly getting stronger all the time.

Reactions: Kal Madda

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015

/s

I don’t think you are right about this, I won’t be buying another iPad until it can support MS-DOS.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Using Notepad on Windows and its Mac equivalent could hardly be a more basic common work need. Yes many people prefer cloud based stuff like Google Docs but not for everything and certainly not for any degree of privacy.

Thanks for the ideas, but Drafts and Runestone both can not even open a simple text file via the iPad Files app that I had saved, one was plaintext file, the other Word (*.docx). So, like the past efforts that proved fruitless with even more 3rd party software trying to do this fundamental task on a tablet, it remains a severe limitations for anyone working with written files professionally or personally to go between ipad and desktop.

Perhaps I’ll try Bear but it sounds familiar re: having done so already years ago, to no end. Attachments are what I described above, what opening a small text file looks like on ipad, first using Drafts, then using Runestone.

To me (and most people), “text file” means plain text, .txt files. The term for what .rtf, .doc, and .docx files are is “word processing” (though .rtf can also be called “rich text”). The latter are all binary file formats, while text editors are exclusively for .txt (and configuration files and source code). Runestone is strictly for plain text, while Pages should do a decent enough job of handling word processing. That said, .docx isn’t its native format, which has the potential to make things trickier when it comes to file associations on iOS*. If you’re in Files and are looking at the document, you can always tap and hold then select the Share option. That said, it’s possible that that might not work, depends on how Pages’s file associations are set up (if you have to import a document from another format, sometimes there are hoops to jump through, such as opening the app first and selecting import in a menu**).

* Course, depending on the screen size of your iPad (it’s a weird Microsoft policy), you could try using Word. I don’t know if Word uses the system file browser at all, but I’d be really surprised (and disappointed in Microsoft, yet again) if it couldn’t open .docx files from Files. Below a certain screen size, you get editing for free, above that, you have to pay for an Office 365 subscription. (At least, that’s how it was the last time I looked into this. The screen size policy could have changed in the meanwhile.)

** But that’s hardly unique to iOS, I’ve definitely seen similar setups on macOS and Windows, let alone Linux.

Edit: The primary difference between “plain text” and “word processing” is that the latter supports formatted text (bold, italic, etc., multiple fonts) and might even support in-line photos and videos. Plain text is pretty much exclusively monospaced ASCII (and maybe UTF-8 these days).

Last edited:

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
It’s not the multiple window thing it’s background tasks. I’ll give you an example.

I launch Groovebox and write an 8 track 5 minute EDM song. I then want to export/render it to Ableton Live (which is a function of Groovebox.)

If I navigate away from the window or even let the screen turn off while the operation is running it cancels the job!

So I can’t do anything but tap the screen to keep the display on and wait for the song export to finish.

The iPad should be able to complete the task and allow the prompt for the export to remain in view or be sent to notifications to then interact with again.

This BASIC multitasking ability is generally absent from iPAD OS apps and that doesn’t make sense for any creative professional using such a tool.

They’ve exposed some things in the background to allow the use of multiple synthetic instruments etc or linking one music app to another but it’s not really in a state I would call “ready for primetime”.

This is just one use case but it applies to most things that require time to process.

Fixing this would bring it a LONG way forward into the “I don’t need a desktop or laptop for this”.
There’s a background task completion API, but iPadOS and iOS don’t particularly like really long background thread tasks. I suppose what Apple could do would be to introduce a new opt-in provision that allows for longer (maybe even semi-indefinite, such as downloads and file exports or renders that’ll be done “when they’re done”) tasks in the background, with the caveat that memory and CPU access may be deprioritized for those tasks depending on the dynamic needs of the rest of the system (and that they’ll need to be able to handle recovery from out of memory events).

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
If your team develops with Swift, the iPad is indeed a very useful device in the stack for more than just device testing and note taking. It certainly is for us.
Unfortunately, we have to go cross platform as a lot of our clients use Android tablets (yuk!) so we aren't using Swift.

Reactions: heretiq

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
To me (and most people), “text file” means plain text, .txt files. The term for what .rtf, .doc, and .docx files are is “word processing” (though .rtf can also be called “rich text”). The latter are all binary file formats, while text editors are exclusively for .txt (and configuration files and source code). Runestone is strictly for plain text, while Pages should do a decent enough job of handling word processing. That said, .docx isn’t its native format, which has the potential to make things trickier when it comes to file associations on iOS*. If you’re in Files and are looking at the document, you can always tap and hold then select the Share option. That said, it’s possible that that might not work, depends on how Pages’s file associations are set up (if you have to import a document from another format, sometimes there are hoops to jump through, such as opening the app first and selecting import in a menu**).

* Course, depending on the screen size of your iPad (it’s a weird Microsoft policy), you could try using Word. I don’t know if Word uses the system file browser at all, but I’d be really surprised (and disappointed in Microsoft, yet again) if it couldn’t open .docx files from Files. Below a certain screen size, you get editing for free, above that, you have to pay for an Office 365 subscription. (At least, that’s how it was the last time I looked into this. The screen size policy could have changed in the meanwhile.)

** But that’s hardly unique to iOS, I’ve definitely seen similar setups on macOS and Windows, let alone Linux.

Edit: The primary difference between “plain text” and “word processing” is that the latter supports formatted text (bold, italic, etc., multiple fonts) and might even support in-line photos and videos. Plain text is pretty much exclusively monospaced ASCII (and maybe UTF-8 these days).
Thanks, yes I know that, although my post maybe wasn’t worded super accurately. Mostly, I simply need to find an app that can edit (from the ipad) a plain text .txt file that was created on MacOS using the TextEdit App. Runespace didn‘t work for that when I tried it recently but now that I tried it again after reading your message, it might be getting somewhere… don’t have my MacOS machine with me so can’t check for a few days. I’ll try when I can.

I know I can use Word and Pages and I do, but each have multiple obstacles and for many reasons I also need/want to use, read, update and edit, from the ipad, various TextEdit files created on a laptop. Pages for example, upon editing a Textedit file, suddenly creates a duplicate of the file so that there are then two files with the same name, one updated, in the file folder, which is a nightmare.

stumpapi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Maine
Everyone is different off course but I only buy a new product when the hardware improvements are big enough for me, or when my current device is damaged, lost or the battery is getting bad.

The new OLED iPad Pro did that for me.
Well said, goes for me as well. I just purchased the 11” M4 and traded a 12.9 M1. At first I was disappointed and regretful as I noticed little difference. But two things stood out. The new OLED display and what ever is affecting the download speeds. I can boot up much quicker, whatever I do online is notably faster.

I do like those improvements. However, I agree with previous posts. The iPad needs MacOS. Without changing the OS this will be my last iPad.

BP9906

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Based on the Apple Intelligence specs, the entry level iPad released in the fall will be interesting.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
The platform is never declining, but some progress has been a touch slow.

This looks like to be a banner year for iPad with the power of M4 and the most advanced version of iPadOS ever coming in fall. I'm very excited that iPad Pro got M4 first as it shows real commitment to the platform from Apple. I'd love it if all the new M series chips came to iPad first.
The ONLY reason iPad got the M4 is because apple will not update the iPad for 2 years!

Atomicow

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
IMG_7176.gif

aidler

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Maybe someone in the EU can create a real file explorer for the iPad and publish it in an alternative app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.