Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
One look at this thread shows that several other people have said they agree with my opinion. There’s also several articles and opinion pieces talking about how Apple’s AI integration can revolutionize the experience on iOS and iPadOS. I’m not under any obligation to post anything at your whims…
The web is littered with people of all walks talking about multi-tasking being an issue on the iPad. You make several statements that include the word “several” and “many” but you don’t have evidence to support it.

You’re right, you don’t have to post anything, but you continue to respond…

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
The web is littered with people of all walks talking about multi-tasking being an issue on the iPad. You make several statements that include the word “several” and “many” but you don’t have evidence to support it.

You’re right, you don’t have to post anything, but you continue to respond…
You’re grasping at straws, it seems like you just want to argue. Several people have said that they are happy with multitasking as it currently stands on iPadOS. Others say they are not. It really depends on what you’re doing, and what your preferences are. There are obviously people who believe both. Unless you believe that everyone agrees with you and I’m the only one on the planet who is happy with iPadOS multitasking, this isn’t really something that’s contested and needs “proved”.

You continue to respond. You started by claiming I was making fact claims when I merely stated my opinion, with all of the qualifiers in my comments that it was my opinion. Several people do agree with me, that‘s a fact evidenced by the responses in agreement in this thread, as well as the likes my post has recieved. This whole thing is pointless, again, it seems like you just want to argue.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
One look at this thread shows that several other people have said they agree with my opinion. There’s also several articles and opinion pieces talking about how Apple’s AI integration can revolutionize the experience on iOS and iPadOS. I’m not under any obligation to post anything at your whims…
@Kal Madda you once gave me good advice to save my energy for those open to a real conversation vs those trying to win every argument using a variety of questionable tactics. I’m returning the favor and suggest using the filter option as theres no chance for a conversation when trying to reason with the exhaust end of a jet turbine. 😂🙏🏽

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
@Kal Madda you once gave me good advice to save my energy for those open to a real conversation vs those trying to win every argument using a variety of questionable tactics. I’m returning the favor and suggest using the filter option as theres no chance for a conversation when trying to reason with the exhaust end of a jet turbine. 😂🙏🏽
Thanks, I appreciate it. 🙂👍🏻

Carrotstick

Suspended
Mar 25, 2024
By that logic, then Macs hardly ever get macOS features, because the vast majority of them are also shared by iOS and iPadOS
macOS sequoia got tiling support, iPhone mirroring and other improvements like AVX2 support for Rosetta 2. All these are Mac specific.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2022
The last thing I would call iPadOS is revolutionary. They blew it by giving us expectations when they released the M4 iPad Pros. They acted like just wait until WW. Guess what, same ole crap worried about cannibalism of the Mac. If people prefer a real iPad, could sell to former Mac users, Chome users and Windows users. That’s the big miss that Tim has miscalculated on so badly.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’m glad this works for you but I’m sorry, from my standpoint I could not disagree more. I’ve owned iPads since the initial launch. It comes down to workflow and use cases. For me, the “file system“ is the platform killer, the proverbial “elephant in the room”. I want this to work in the worst way. Each year I keep hoping “there finally going to do it” Linux, Mac OS, Windows, they all have a similar approach. Files?, no, just no - and I love the iPad, mind you.

As for iPad OS 18 being a huge leap forward? Head over to Mac Stories and see what Federico Vittici, perhaps the ultimate iPad champion and power user has to say. Sums it up pretty well, IMHO.
Presently, I don't find any issues with Files app... Federico literally calls Files app a "bad product," normally bad products are unusable.

Admittedly, when external support first introduced... it certainly was a bad product. I could not copy anything reliably from an SSD. But now... currently! That is no longer an issue... and furthermore if Files app is an issue there's other file managing apps available on the App Store, pick one!

And he flat out lied when he claimed that Files app doesn't display transfer speeds when copying something. Another false claim about the Files app... that there is no way to tell the system that you want to view it in another app, when clearly the user can use Share Sheet to open a file in a different app.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Presently, I don't find any issues with Files app... Federico literally calls Files app a "bad product," normally bad products are unusable.

Admittedly, when external support first introduced... it certainly was a bad product. I could not copy anything reliably from an SSD. But now... currently! That is no longer an issue... and furthermore if Files app is an issue there's other file managing apps available on the App Store, pick one!

And he flat out lied when he claimed that Files app doesn't display transfer speeds when copying something. Another false claim about the Files app... that there is no way to tell the system that you want to view it in another app, when clearly the user can use Share Sheet to open a file in a different app.
Exactly. While I respect that Federico has added a lot to the iPad community over the years, I was way more disappointed with that article and the number of falsehoods he wrote than I’ve ever been with iPadOS. It’s really sad to watch his more recent content.

Reactions: heretiq

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
You’re grasping at straws, it seems like you just want to argue. Several people have said that they are happy with multitasking as it currently stands on iPadOS. Others say they are not. It really depends on what you’re doing, and what your preferences are. There are obviously people who believe both. Unless you believe that everyone agrees with you and I’m the only one on the planet who is happy with iPadOS multitasking, this isn’t really something that’s contested and needs “proved”.

You continue to respond. You started by claiming I was making fact claims when I merely stated my opinion, with all of the qualifiers in my comments that it was my opinion. Several people do agree with me, that‘s a fact evidenced by the responses in agreement in this thread, as well as the likes my post has recieved. This whole thing is pointless, again, it seems like you just want to argue.
You are stating things beyond your opinion. You did that, not me.

• Haha

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
The last thing I would call iPadOS is revolutionary. They blew it by giving us expectations when they released the M4 iPad Pros. They acted like just wait until WW. Guess what, same ole crap worried about cannibalism of the Mac. If people prefer a real iPad, could sell to former Mac users, Chome users and Windows users. That’s the big miss that Tim has miscalculated on so badly.
Can you provide some facts to explain what Tim Cook — who has access to the world’s best market sentiment and market demand information — has missed and miscalculated? 🤔

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
macOS sequoia got tiling support, iPhone mirroring and other improvements like AVX2 support for Rosetta 2. All these are Mac specific.
And iPadOS 18 got intelligent handwriting improvements for scribble, math notes, and other improvements like a new tab design for easier navigation in compact app windows. All of those are iPad specific. But it doesn’t have to be a device specific feature in order to count as a new feature. Ex. Stage Manager which was shared between iPad and Mac, yet was arguably the biggest feature of iPadOS 16.

Reactions: heretiq

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2022
Can you provide some facts to explain what Tim Cook — who has access to the world’s best market sentiment and market demand information — has missed and miscalculated? 🤔
I can only say that Steve didn’t care about cannibalism of his own products. Maybe Steve wasn’t as good of a CEO of a public corporation. But Steve was a true innovator. He wouldn’t care. He would think all these people with Chromebooks or Windows laptops could be converts if we just had a better option. The iPad is that until the worst OS possible ruins it and makes it nothing more than a large iPhone that can’t make a phone call. I own an M4 11” iPP and the hardware is outright insane followed up by the worst possible OS experience one could imagine. No imagination and no courage by anyone in the decision making by hampering it and not letting it change course.

What the next CEO needs to realize is that AAPL is not good for its customers as it is. It’s only good to its shareholders and executives. It’s outright terrible to its customers and has been since Steve’s passing. Tim fired all his threats as money is all he cares about. Greed at this level is not good.

Reactions: iF34R

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Exactly. While I respect that Federico has added a lot to the iPad community over the years, I was way more disappointed with that article and the number of falsehoods he wrote than I’ve ever been with iPadOS. It’s really sad to watch his more recent content.
I've discussed it before... Federico wanted to branch out from the iPad and write about other experiences, which was a strategic move by him because it helps to bring more traffic to his site.

And while sharing his experiences with the Mac... he went on a crusade to criticize the iPad in hopes that Apple can serve his wishes to bring macOS onto an iPad. Because at the end of the day, that's what he wants.

And I appreciate all that Federico has contributed to the iPad community... he was the one that I looked to when it came to incorporating iPad workflows, but it is what it is... I believe the iPad is still his primary device. So, it's not like he's abandoned the platform... but he's more into the Mac now.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I’m glad this works for you but I’m sorry, from my standpoint I could not disagree more. I’ve owned iPads since the initial launch. It comes down to workflow and use cases. For me, the “file system“ is the platform killer, the proverbial “elephant in the room”. I want this to work in the worst way. Each year I keep hoping “there finally going to do it” Linux, Mac OS, Windows, they all have a similar approach. Files?, no, just no - and I love the iPad, mind you.

As for iPad OS 18 being a huge leap forward? Head over to Mac Stories and see what Federico Vittici, perhaps the ultimate iPad champion and power user has to say. Sums it up pretty well, IMHO.

First: Federico Vitticci is a talented professional, but he is the poster child for choosing form over function and being miserable for that choice. I’ve followed, respected and admired Federico for years including reading and listening to virtually all of his articles and podcasts and one thing is clear: Federico needs a MacBook Air but prefers the iPad Pro form factor. Now we all get to hear the incessant complaints about the things in the Mac that would close the gap between what he needs and what the iPad offers. This is tiring.

Second, here’s a link to the factual basis for the following comments: https://mspoweruser.com/ipad-statistics/

We must be living in parallel universes. I’ve also used iPad from day 1 and have not encountered a single “platform killer.” In my universe, the iPad is the world’s best selling tablet computer with an enviable ecosystem of apps and accessories, and industry leading customer satisfaction scores. The iPad is alive and well despite unsupported claims from a very small but vocal subset who insist that Apple should abandon its product vision to save itself from the iPad’s obvious and unmistakable success. 😏

Last edited:

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
What exactly did they get right in your opinion with iPadOS?

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I can only say that Steve didn’t care about cannibalism of his own products. Maybe Steve wasn’t as good of a CEO of a public corporation. But Steve was a true innovator. He wouldn’t care. He would think all these people with Chromebooks or Windows laptops could be converts if we just had a better option. The iPad is that until the worst OS possible ruins it and makes it nothing more than a large iPhone that can’t make a phone call. I own an M4 11” iPP and the hardware is outright insane followed up by the worst possible OS experience one could imagine. No imagination and no courage by anyone in the decision making by hampering it and not letting it change course.

What the next CEO needs to realize is that AAPL is not good for its customers as it is. It’s only good to its shareholders and executives. It’s outright terrible to its customers and has been since Steve’s passing. Tim fired all his threats as money is all he cares about. Greed at this level is not good.
Those are opinions. Not facts. Here are some facts: https://mspoweruser.com/ipad-statistics/

None of these facts support opinions about Apple needing CEO change — based on purportedly poor iPad performance.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
iPads, and in particular iPads Pro have been my primary computers pretty much since their inception. Yes I do head over to my Mac for more serious Photoshop or Illustrator work occasionally, but for the most part, the vast majority of my time is spent on iPads. Reading, writing, drawing, watching, and even 3d Modeling are well within their capacity. It always is curious to me that so many dismiss them, but it may be due to working style or how they prefer to interact. I’m not much one for multitasking or distraction, so in my case iPad OS is perfectly suitable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likely for many, myself included, as Apple will not not allow proper OS access so a lot of professional software would never make to iPadOS unless the dev wanted to put out a crippled version. I like my iPad Pro however because of this Apple limitation is is relegated to mostly consumptive activities. Great for that.

iPadOS 18 looks to be another miss for the iPad Pro. Sadly.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
It will likely improve multitasking by removing the requirement of navigating to an app in the background to grab a bit of data, a file, or whatever to insert into the foreground process you’re working on. And we will have to see how it impacts active background tasks, but iPadOS currently handles background tasks. I believe it’s only some apps that don’t take proper advantage of it that have issues.

Not unless Apple allows some serious changes to the underlying OS structure and move it beyond (or away from) being an iPhone OS extension.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
AI this AI that

I think if certain apps start getting smarter, and not just some showcase Apple stuff, then that would be cool. But I'm skeptical.

Cramming a bunch of “AI” into a device is like overstuffing luggage. How many are really going to see use and just how useful will they really be? Color me unimpressed with Apple’s latest.

Reactions: Kahnforever

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
It’s a monitory of iPad users, or for that matter, likely a minority of Mac users as well. There are several third-party IDE apps for iPadOS like Kodex that I’ve tinkered with. Most developers I’ve seen prefer a MacBook anyways because they have larger screens, more powerful chips, and most importantly, a better built-in keyboard. App development is a niche workflow on a tablet. I don’t see a whole ton of developers flocking around the Surface Pro.

For my dev and engineering work, I would love to use an iPad. Far too many OS limitations. Would love if I could hook it to a couple of monitors and go to town. If it could. If it had the software. If …. But it doesn’t. Apple restraints on the OS making it a mono task appliance and limited at that is to blaming IMO. It can do some things well but that aspect in the workplace is sadly limited when you look at what it could do. Personally I don’t want MacOS on an iPad. I want an iPadOS with desktop OS abilities.

And for those of us who are multi-OS, not just limited to the Apple ecosystem, it is even worse.
Maybe someday.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Only took 18 iterations of the OS to get an iPad Calc. I figure by iteration 36 we may actually have a number row on the onscreen keyboard. But maybe I am being a bit optimistic?
So we can have even less of our screen visible, yay!!! I’d rather just swipe down on the top keys for a number. No sense in cluttering up more screen. And you can always install a third party keyboard if you care about it.

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
What you’re talking about is an iterative improvement, not a revolutionary new way to use the system. I am sure I’ll be able to pull some limited types of data from other apps to bring into what I’m doing in my current app without leaving that app using Apple Intelligence, and some amount of limited writing of data to other apps (like making a calendar event based on text in an email) without leaving the app I’m in, but that’s an iterative step, not a revolutionary change. I would not pin my hopes on the first version of Apple Intelligence dramatically changing the way we fundamentally use computers. I’m sure it will be better than Siri as it exists today, but I think there will also be plenty of limitations that we’ll run into as we try to use Apple Intelligence in a more free form way than Apple programmed it for.

No matter how good the AI is, it is still limited by the constraints of the OS. Until that changes ….

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
No matter how good the AI is, it is still limited by the constraints of the OS. Until that changes ….
But the constraints of the OS can change. And it seems from the demos Apple provided that Apple Intelligence will be able to pull data into a foreground app from other apps in the background, likely even ones that are no longer open. I know you’re skeptical, but I think it will make a big difference for several workflows.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.