Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
So which is it then?
The other thing is what I was saying for people who aren’t as impressed about it as I am. I was pointing out that iPadOS 18 seems to offer better optimization, so it will probably also have less bugs than prior updates, so people upset thinking it isn’t a big update should at least be happy to hear that. I personally believe it’s revolutionary, and some of the big changes will come with Apple Intelligence. Not everyone agrees clearly. So I was saying to those people, every update can’t be as big as they would like it to be.

Last edited:

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Maybe someone in the EU can create a real file explorer for the iPad and publish it in an alternative app store.
The Files app is a real file explorer. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t. It has the vast majority of the primary features and functions of Finder on macOS. The UI looks basically identical. And if you don’t like it so much, there’s plenty of alternative file explorer apps in the App Store.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
You are totally right, I can’t stand that it’s so hard to rename files on iPad.

It’s outrageous that Apple doesn’t give us a Terminal window where we can type “mv abc.txt 123.txt”

:D

Curious what you use text files for? It could be that a laptop is still the best solution for your use case.
Yes laptops are the best solution and my at-home main machine, but my uses include updating documents at work too and I’ve come to enjoy the slightly lighter weight of leaving the (16”) laptop at home and commuting with the 11” ipad. My uses are numerous but for plaintext files, they inlcude updating editing personal small files that hold financial logs, password logs for the sadly too many number of systems that force password updates sometimes every 6 months, childcare files, basically I guess it’s an old fashioned habit but a basic text file is just so much simpler than making a Pages docs (or Word etc) for any and every file I want to keep handy and keep editing periodically. And one of the big things that also makes the ipad preferable to a Macbook Air for example, is how there is cellular service option for tablet but still not for laptops.

Reactions: Kal Madda

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
So, I installed this on my M1 cause I didn't wanna tarnish my M4 lol. So far, I haven't really noticed anything that makes the experience different for me.

Reactions: Kahnforever

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
So, I installed this on my M1 cause I didn't wanna tarnish my M4 lol. So far, I haven't really noticed anything that makes the experience different for me.
Seeing as it’s only a first developer beta, most of the changes are yet to be finalized or even included. The customizable Control Center is here, and is already useful for my Siri Shortcuts, but third party controls/applets are not likely to be available until closer to the public launch in the Fall. And Apple Intelligence, probably one of the biggest and most revolutionary updates is going to only be available later this year as well. 👍🏻

Also, I think everyone has their own preferences and needs for their workflow, and what is a major new feature or change for one person is minor for another who will never need or use it. 👍🏻

Last edited:

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
iPadOS 18 is a great update, besides all of the complaining it didn’t “push the needle” or whatever for some people. The customizable Control Center will basically add the functionality of macOS Menu Bar Apps to iPadOS. The new Settings app design is great, and Apple Intelligence is going to be huge. Just the few workflows they demonstrated with it show it is likely going to revolutionize multitasking on iPadOS. Sadly, we have to wait till fall to test the AI integration, but from what I’ve seen, I’m convinced this will be game changing. I think people are only looking at the features specific to iPad, and forgetting the big picture with Apple Intelligence. And even with the new features available in the first beta of iPadOS 18, I’m happy with this update.

Something missed in the shuffle is also that Apple just added a ton of new features and tools in Swift that will make it easier for App developers to port their software with Swift, and provide more desktop-class apps. Even the top page of the iPadOS 18 Developer page is encouraging developers to provide dekstop-class apps and experiences for iPadOS. Apple is definitely pushing for developers to add desktop-level functionality into their apps.

Also, so far the first developer beta has given me better battery runtime than what I was getting on the latest public version of iPadOS 17. It seems like Apple improved stability and efficiency this go round, which makes sense with the fact they paused development to specifically address bugs. Not every update can be earth shattering. Though I think Apple Intelligence is the big part of the story we’re not seeing yet, and I think it will absolutely revolutionize the experience. 👍🏻
I have an M4 iPad Pro and am running iPadOS 18. I can confirm that nothing has really changed, multi-tasking is the same, the limitations are the same, and AI will change very little. I currently run the CHATGPT App on the iPad and get a lot of what I’ll get with Apple’s AI already, albeit not as convenient.

iPadOS 18 is probably the most lame update ever, and that is considering what is upcoming in it.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021
The Files app is a real file explorer. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t. It has the vast majority of the primary features and functions of Finder on macOS. The UI looks basically identical. And if you don’t like it so much, there’s plenty of alternative file explorer apps in the App Store.
Yep. I agree. It’s the real thing apple doesn’t let us go into the file system because more than 50 percent of us there’s no need for it.
I don’t need to go into the file system it’s no use for me cause I don’t need the files system.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I have an M4 iPad Pro and am running iPadOS. I can confirm that nothing has really changed, multi-tasking is the same, the limitations are the same, and AI will change very little. I currently run the CHATGPT App on the iPad and get a lot of what I’ll get with Apple’s AI already, albeit not as convenient.

iPadOS 18 is probably the most lame update ever, and that is considering what is upcoming in it.
It’s also the first developer beta. Many of the features aren’t close to finalized, and are even completely missing. And Apple’s AI will be much different from ChatGPT, with personal context that ChatGPT can’t use, and the ability to directly access and trigger third-party app features and functions on your behalf… You’re free to your opinion of course, but many of us see features that absolutely will revolutionize our workflows. 👍🏻. For me, just the ability to pin custom Siri Shortcuts to my Control Center will significantly streamline things…

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
It’s also the first developer beta. Many of the features aren’t close to finalized, and are even completely missing. And Apple’s AI will be much different from ChatGPT, with personal context that ChatGPT can’t use, and the ability to directly access and trigger third-party app features and functions on your behalf… You’re free to your opinion of course, but many of us see features that absolutely will revolutionize our workflows. 👍🏻. For me, just the ability to pin custom Siri Shortcuts to my Control Center will significantly streamline things…
I clearly stated in my post that in my assessment I have considered what is upcoming in iPadOS 18. I watched the Keynote and reviewed iPadOS 18.

Apple’s AI will not be much different than ChatGPT. I am using the Developer version of 40. It has memory, understands context, is trained on my expectations, etc. I run the iOS, iPadOS and Mac Apps of ChatGPT. I stated in my comment that Apple AI will be a bit more convenient.

The bottom line is iPadOS 18 is the same. Multi-tasking with Stage Manager is not changing and many of the limitations are the same and will not change.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I clearly stated in my post that in my assessment I have considered what is upcoming in iPadOS 18. I watched the Keynote and reviewed iPadOS 18.

Apple’s AI will not be much different than ChatGPT. I am using the Developer version of 40. It has memory, understands context, is trained on my expectations, etc. I run the iOS, iPadOS and Mac Apps of ChatGPT. I stated in my comment that Apple AI will be a bit more convenient.

The bottom line is iPadOS 18 is the same. Multi-tasking with Stage Manager is not changing and many of the limitations are the same and will not change.
I’m pretty sure ChatGPT can’t control other system apps on iOS and iPadOS on your behalf…

Also, this assumes that multitasking on iPadOS is something broken that needs fixing. I don’t think it does, and nor do many others. It’s okay if you don’t like multitasking on iPadOS, you can have a different opinion. Again, this is a subjective thing. You don’t apparently think iPadOS 18 will revolutionize anything for you. For me and many others, it will revolutionize the experience.

Reactions: Ludatyk and heretiq

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
I’m pretty sure ChatGPT can’t control other system apps on iOS and iPadOS on your behalf…

Also, this assumes that multitasking on iPadOS is something broken that needs fixing. I don’t think it does, and nor do many others. It’s okay if you don’t like multitasking on iPadOS, you can have a different opinion. Again, this is a subjective thing. You don’t apparently think iPadOS 18 will revolutionize anything for you. For me and many others, it will revolutionize the experience.
First of all, you make assumptions about what MY USE is. The ChatGPT App serves my purpose. I don’t use system shortcuts for instance and Apple AI will only be slightly more convenient for me.

Your statement that multi-tasking isn’t broken is your own opinion and irrelevant to me. Further, as evidenced on this site and all over the web, multi-tasking is one of the most talked about pain-points people have with the iPad. But even if it wasn’t, it doesn’t change my experience.

Define “many others.” regarding people thinking iPadOS 18 will be revolutionary. Post your data. Demonstrate it.

Last edited:

TheWraith

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2024
This is hilarious.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 11.29.42 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 11.29.42 AM.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: ericwn

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
First of all, you make assumptions about what MY USE is. The ChatGPT App serves my purpose. I don’t use system shortcuts for instance and Apple AI will only be slightly more convenient for me.

Your statement that multi-tasking isn’t broken is your own opinion and irrelevant to me. Further, as evidenced on this site and all over the web, multi-tasking is one of the most talked about pain-points people have with the iPad. But even if it wasn’t, it doesn’t change my experience.

Define “many others.” regarding people thinking iPadOS 18 will be revolutionary. Post your data. Demonstrate it.
I didn’t make any assumptions about your use case. I said it may not be revolutionary for you, but it will be for me and several others here who have shared the same sentiment. That’s not making any assumptions about your use case. I also pointed out that I don’t think ChatGPT can control apps for a user on iOS and iPadOS. This functionality may not be revolutionary for you, but it will be for others like myself.

And I didn’t make a statement of fact that multitasking isn’t broken. I again simply stated my opinion that multitasking on iPadOS is fine as it is. You seem to be conflating my speaking my opinion (qualified as such in the context of my comments) as if I were stating them as facts.

Reactions: Ludatyk and heretiq

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
This is hilarious.
And read in context, you’d realize the first is stating my opinion, while the second is addressed to those who don’t share my opinion and think it isn’t a big update… No contradiction…

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
I didn’t make any assumptions about your use case. I said it may not be revolutionary for you, but it will be for me and several others here who have shared the same sentiment. That’s not making any assumptions about your use case. I also pointed out that I don’t think ChatGPT can control apps for a user on iOS and iPadOS. This functionality may not be revolutionary for you, but it will be for others like myself.

And I didn’t make a statement of fact that multitasking isn’t broken. I again simply stated my opinion that multitasking on iPadOS is fine as it is. You seem to be conflating my speaking my opinion (qualified as such in the context of my comments) as if I were stating them as facts.
I am not conflating anything. You are making broad generalizations about what people think. You have not posted any data to support that.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I am not conflating anything. You are making broad generalizations about what people think. You have not posted any data to support that.
You are conflating, because I have only stated my opinion. I have never once said that everyone agrees with me, or thinks this is a revolutionary update. I’ve also never claimed to know what you need or don’t need for your use case, or what would make this a revolutionary update for you. I have stated my opinion which others in this thread have also agreed with. I’ve said this is a revolutionary update for me, and several others who have also said so. No broad generalizations involved...

Reactions: heretiq

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
You are conflating, because I have only stated my opinion. I have never once said that everyone agrees with me, or thinks this is a revolutionary update. I’ve also never claimed to know what you need or don’t need for your use case, or what would make this a revolutionary update for you. I have stated my opinion which others in this thread have also agreed with. I’ve said this is a revolutionary update for me, and several others who have also said so. No broad generalizations involved...
You said:

“Also, this assumes that multitasking on iPadOS is something broken that needs fixing. I don’t think it does, and nor do many others.”

And you also said many others think iPadOS 18 is a revolutionary update.

You made statements outside of your own opinion, stating that many other people share your opinion. Post evidence to support this.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
You said:

“Also, this assumes that multitasking on iPadOS is something broken that needs fixing. I don’t think it does, and nor do many others.”

And you also said many others think iPadOS 18 is a revolutionary update.

You made statements outside of your own opinion, stating that many other people share your opinion. Post evidence to support this.
One look at this thread shows that several other people have said they agree with my opinion. There’s also several articles and opinion pieces talking about how Apple’s AI integration can revolutionize the experience on iOS and iPadOS. I’m not under any obligation to post anything at your whims…

• Love
Reactions: heretiq

Runaway Train

macrumors member
May 20, 2023
I’m glad this works for you but I’m sorry, from my standpoint I could not disagree more. I’ve owned iPads since the initial launch. It comes down to workflow and use cases. For me, the “file system“ is the platform killer, the proverbial “elephant in the room”. I want this to work in the worst way. Each year I keep hoping “there finally going to do it” Linux, Mac OS, Windows, they all have a similar approach. Files?, no, just no - and I love the iPad, mind you.

As for iPad OS 18 being a huge leap forward? Head over to Mac Stories and see what Federico Vittici, perhaps the ultimate iPad champion and power user has to say. Sums it up pretty well, IMHO.

Reactions: aidler

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I’m glad this works for you but I’m sorry, from my standpoint I could not disagree more. I’ve owned iPads since the initial launch. It comes down to workflow and use cases. For me, the “file system“ is the platform killer, the proverbial “elephant in the room”. I want this to work in the worst way. Each year I keep hoping “there finally going to do it” Linux, Mac OS, Windows, they all have a similar approach. Files?, no, just no - and I love the iPad, mind you.

As for iPad OS 18 being a huge leap forward? Head over to Mac Stories and see what Federico Vittici, perhaps the ultimate iPad champion and power user has to say. Sums it up pretty well, IMHO.
I’ve read Vittici’s article, and I disagree with him on several points. Also, he makes some false claims in his article, such as claiming iPadOS prevents apps from being able to run in the background, even though this is not true. Several apps actually do run in the background when you leave them and open a different app. While I respect his work, I think he’s become more anti-iPad the past couple years. I would no longer view him as an iPad defender or champion, he seems to spend most of his time now complaining about the iPad and seems to have abandoned his previous “incorporate features in a way that makes sense for the iPad” way of thinking for a “slap the Mac way in it” thinking. Mind you this is just my opinion, but that’s how I read his work sadly the past couple years. It’s been a while since he’s written anything talking about the things that make the iPad great (at least that I’ve seen). They all come across as anti-iPad hit pieces.

Mind also that I’ve never opposed improving iPadOS and expanding its fun functionality to suit people like yours needs. I’m just happy with where iPadOS is currently.👍🏻

Runaway Train

macrumors member
May 20, 2023
I’ve read Vittici’s article, and I disagree with him on several points. Also, he makes some false claims in his article, such as claiming iPadOS prevents apps from being able to run in the background, even though this is not true. Several apps actually do run in the background when you leave them and open a different app. While I respect his work, I think he’s become more anti-iPad the past couple years. I would no longer view him as an iPad defender or champion, he seems to spend most of his time now complaining about the iPad and seems to have abandoned his previous “incorporate features in a way that makes sense for the iPad” way of thinking for a “slap the Mac way in it” thinking. Mind you this is just my opinion, but that’s how I read his work sadly the past couple years. It’s been a while since he’s written anything talking about the things that make the iPad great (at least that I’ve seen). They all come across as anti-iPad hit pieces.

Mind also that I’ve never opposed improving iPadOS and expanding its fun functionality to suit people like yours needs. I’m just happy with where iPadOS is currently.👍🏻
When I have poured as much of my life’s work and tireless dedication to the platform, I will critique Viticci’s seeming recent disaffection for the platform. He’s given a lot to the iPad user community. Much as I would like it to be otherwise, sadly, I have to agree with him. He‘s been the absolute champion for the platform for many years. His dim view of current development is a cause for concern. Again, here we disagree, and that’s fine.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
When I have poured as much of my life’s work and tireless dedication to the platform, I will critique Viticci’s seeming recent disaffection for the platform. He’s given a lot to the iPad user community. Much as I would like it to be otherwise, sadly, I have to agree with him. He‘s been the absolute champion for the platform for many years. His dim view of current development is a cause for concern. Again, here we disagree, and that’s fine.
Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not at all saying that he hasn’t made any good contributions for the iPad community, not at all am I saying that. And I still read his articles, I just tend to disagree more often lately than I used to with his takes. It seems to me like he went from being very happy and satisfied with iPadOS to more recently being more dissatisfied. And it feels like it doesn’t get balanced out that much either. I actually appreciate reading people’s criticisms of iPadOS, but sometimes it seems like people only focus on the aspects of iPadOS they think are bad, and don’t balance it out with the good. It feels like every article about iPadOS from Viticci lately has been negative, and I miss seeing the positive pieces from him. 👍🏻. And I respect your opinion and his as well. 👍🏻

Reactions: RLRabb

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
His list of the pain points and weakness of iPadOS mirrors just about all of the things that annoy me when trying to do any complicated workflows on my iPads - and a lot of them can/should be fixed without breaking the experience for more casual users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.