Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
So far I’ve been really happy with the new Control Center! Now I can create a page in the Control Center full of custom Siri Shortcuts, which definitely streamlines things having the ability to quickly access my Siri Shortcuts similar to pinning Siri Shortcuts to the Menu Bar on macOS! I’m also excited to see third-party developers roll out controls for their apps, that will definitely be helpful as well. 👍🏻

I think of all the new features, Apple Intelligence is definitely the one I’m most excited about. I think it will definitely be revolutionary! This will definitely streamline workflow if the workflows Apple demoed with it are accurate (and usually they are). 👍🏻

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
So far I’ve been really happy with the new Control Center! Now I can create a page in the Control Center full of custom Siri Shortcuts, which definitely streamlines things having the ability to quickly access my Siri Shortcuts similar to pinning Siri Shortcuts to the Menu Bar on macOS! I’m also excited to see third-party developers roll out controls for their apps, that will definitely be helpful as well. 👍🏻
That’s what I’ve done so far… I removed some of the Apple defaults and replaced them with Siri Shortcuts.

And I’m excited to see what 3rd party devs do as well, but then again… it all depends on what Apple allows them to do.

Reactions: dk001 and Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
And that is genuinely awesome. I wish I could use it as my primary system as it would be lighter than a laptop and the battery life is tremendous. But it’s still missing some key applications I require.

What would be really awesome for me is if they would make more game ports to iPad OS. I play a decent amount of games and I know the hardware is easily capable of better than last gen console graphics and possibly on par with current gen.

But otherwise much of what I do is very memory intensive work which the 16gb in the iPad Pro is still too little to satisfy.
I wish you could as well. 👍🏻. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve never argued iPadOS can’t improve or add additional features that will make it easier for people like you to use. I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you waiting for iPadOS to add a Terminal app or Text Edit app. I think these are so niche that it doesn’t make much sense for Apple to use the resources on, especially since there are third party offerings for these things on iPadOS. But I have no issues with improvements to iPadOS such as incorporating more macOS features in a way that makes sense for iPadOS, and iPadOS running Mac apps. I’ve talked about these many times. All I am saying is that iPadOS isn’t “trash” or “non-pro” etc. in its current state. It’s not the best option for all pros, but honestly, neither is the Mac, that’s why I use an iPad for my professional use. 👍🏻. I’m all in favor of making iPadOS a better option for more people. 👍🏻

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
agreed on this - it's a great platform to bring games. There seems to be some (limited) evolution going on with this finally. It's a start

that "review" is from a typical Mac user. All this silly focus on "multitasking". The iPad actually shines the most as a focus device.
Multi windowing on a 13" and smaller screen is not multitasking.
Multitasking is for example using you iMac and iPad with universal control, controlled with one keyboard and having teams open on the iPad (maybe with outlook in Split View) while the iMac has my accounting software open.

Messing around with multiple windows on a small screen is not multi tasking.

It’s not the multiple window thing it’s background tasks. I’ll give you an example.

I launch Groovebox and write an 8 track 5 minute EDM song. I then want to export/render it to Ableton Live (which is a function of Groovebox.)

If I navigate away from the window or even let the screen turn off while the operation is running it cancels the job!

So I can’t do anything but tap the screen to keep the display on and wait for the song export to finish.

The iPad should be able to complete the task and allow the prompt for the export to remain in view or be sent to notifications to then interact with again.

This BASIC multitasking ability is generally absent from iPAD OS apps and that doesn’t make sense for any creative professional using such a tool.

They’ve exposed some things in the background to allow the use of multiple synthetic instruments etc or linking one music app to another but it’s not really in a state I would call “ready for primetime”.

This is just one use case but it applies to most things that require time to process.

Fixing this would bring it a LONG way forward into the “I don’t need a desktop or laptop for this”.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
I wish you could as well. 👍🏻. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve never argued iPadOS can’t improve or add additional features that will make it easier for people like you to use. I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you waiting for iPadOS to add a Terminal app or Text Edit app. I think these are so niche that it doesn’t make much sense for Apple to use the resources on, especially since there are third party offerings for these things on iPadOS. But I have no issues with improvements to iPadOS such as incorporating more macOS features in a way that makes sense for iPadOS, and iPadOS running Mac apps. I’ve talked about these many times. All I am saying is that iPadOS isn’t “trash” or “non-pro” etc. in its current state. It’s not the best option for all pros, but honestly, neither is the Mac, that’s why I use an iPad for my professional use. 👍🏻. I’m all in favor of making iPadOS a better option for more people. 👍🏻

Oh yeah definitely not gonna use terms like trash to describe iPadOS. Limited haha sure. But yeah no I’m not “holding my breath.” I’ve owned every model iPad since the launch of the platform (same with iPhone) except the 15. I kept my 14 pro max and still have my M1 14” ipad Pro. No need to update it and that’s fine. But I really haven’t touched it but go work in one and only one app for the past three years.

Knowing what I know now I could have lived without it. But don’t regret buying it. They’re just gonna have to bring a bit more to the Os for me to want to pick it up again.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It’s not the multiple window thing it’s background tasks. I’ll give you an example.

I launch Groovebox and write an 8 track 5 minute EDM song. I then want to export/render it to Ableton Live (which is a function of Groovebox.)

If I navigate away from the window or even let the screen turn off while the operation is running it cancels the job!

So I can’t do anything but tap the screen to keep the display on and wait for the song export to finish.

The iPad should be able to complete the task and allow the prompt for the export to remain in view or be sent to notifications to then interact with again.

This BASIC multitasking ability is generally absent from iPAD OS apps and that doesn’t make sense for any creative professional using such a tool.

They’ve exposed some things in the background to allow the use of multiple synthetic instruments etc or linking one music app to another but it’s not really in a state I would call “ready for primetime”.

This is just one use case but it applies to most things that require time to process.

Fixing this would bring it a LONG way forward into the “I don’t need a desktop or laptop for this”.
Solution. 1st, turn on Stage Manager… second turn off Auto Lock.

Launch GrooveBox and when you go export it to Ableton Live, keep GrooveBox in the current stage… and if you want to use another app, stay in that stage (you can place GrooveBox behind the app you want to use).

Last edited:

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
Mac OS and iPad OS are being maintained. Not much innovation happening outside of the change in processors.

I don't see why there should be massive continuing OS innovation. Diminishing returns set in long ago. Every new feature is source of bugs and security holes. Is Sonoma really better than Mohave? For that matter I recently resurrected a Mini running Snow Leopard. The OS works fine, everything is findable (unlike Ventura and Sonoma).

I wouldn't need Airdrop if iPadOS had a decent filesystem. The tight integration with iPhones is only useful if you have an iPhone, so is of no consequence to me. I'm far from convinced that stuffing a gigabyte of AI code into the OS is going to be a benefit. Would you install Matlab into the OS?

What do you expect the Operating System to do other than manage hardware resources between the running programs and handle network chatter?

Carrotstick

Suspended
Mar 25, 2024
Oh my goodness. Apple Intelligence is also coming to the Mac. It’s not an iPad only feature…

The only thing iPad has now over the Mac is touch, cell and cheaper.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Oh my goodness. Apple Intelligence is also coming to the Mac. It’s not an iPad only feature…

The only thing iPad has now over the Mac is touch, cell and cheaper.
And? Stage Manager wasn’t unique to iPadOS, it was shared between iPadOS and macOS. This is what drives me nuts with some of these YouTubers, they want to pretend as if Apple Intelligence isn’t an iPadOS feature because Apple’s sharing it with other platforms as well. By that logic, then Macs hardly ever get macOS features, because the vast majority of them are also shared by iOS and iPadOS… Any new feature that will be added with iPadOS 18 is an iPadOS 18 feature…

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yes, there isn’t an eject button yet. Honestly, most drives don’t require one anymore. From my research, it seems that the only drives which would need an eject button are ones that have been set to “High Speed Data Mode”. This caches data from the drive on the OS, rather than directly transferring the files right away. I don’t think Windows supports this anymore by default, so the majority of external drives do not sell configured this way anymore. You generally have to enable this on an external drive. I still think it would cause less confusion if they added one, because many aren’t aware of this, and many are in the habit of ejecting an external drive before removing it from using their Mac. But as long as the external drive isn’t removed during an active file transfer, then it should be fine to just unplug it. That’s what I’ve done for years, and I’ve never had an issue with any of my drives. 👍🏻. I hope this helps. 👍🏻
To be fair, I have an awesome T7 Shield SSD that I recently updated to the last firmware, and after 5 or 10 seconds of not using it, it turns itself off (the blue LED turns off), so it feels safer to unplug.

However, the regular T7 I have takes much longer to enter rest mode, and usually I have to unplug it while still having the blue LED turned on (not blinking though).

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
To be fair, I have an awesome T7 Shield SSD that I recently updated to the last firmware, and after 5 or 10 seconds of not using it, it turns itself off (the blue LED turns off), so it feels safer to unplug.

However, the regular T7 I have takes much longer to enter rest mode, and usually I have to unplug it while still having the blue LED turned on (not blinking though).
Yeah, I do think the Files app should add an eject button. 👍🏻. It could make removing drives that are in High Speed Data Mode much safer, and it also would reduce confusion for those who are used to macOS. If macOS is still scolding us when we improperly eject a drive, then we should be able to do the same on iPadOS. 🙂👍🏻

There still is a chance they could add this to iPadOS 18. I believe a later update in iPadOS 15 introduced the progress indicator in the Files app. 👍🏻. I will definitely be keeping my eye out on it! 👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: heretiq and Populus

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Investors care and no matter what dream anyone may be having about Apple executives being rebels trying to “think different” if a majority of investors don’t understand or care what your business is about your stock value will go in the toilet and the company and its products will follow quickly.

There is no Steve Jobs at Apple anymore. In case you haven’t noticed.
I’m lost. Can you explain what you’re trying to convey?

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
It’s because the iPad is not a developer friendly platform. Every developer needs to have a sense for what they are actually working on. Until the iPad can be used effectively and willingly by developers it will always get lack luster support.

I’m sorry to say (and I mean no offense) but if you understood how application development happened you’d understand this very easily.
Question: Are you a developer? I’m asking because I lead operations for a 200+ person software development company and also develop and publish apps personally — and these comments are not representative of my perspective, experience or any sentiment I’ve heard from any of our development team members. 🤔

Reactions: Kal Madda

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
LOL seriously… Anyone who uses a computer for more than just web browsing like idk say a DEVELOPER (who is actually the one being asked to MAKE APPLICATIONS FOR THE IPAD) uses a basic text editor on their OS. A simple text editor is an essential function that’s pretty much expected. The fact the iPad didn’t even have a calculator also speaks volume to the lack of care or attention Apple has given the platform for over a decade. It’s an embarrassment.

If you cannot convince developers to actually use an iPad you’ll never see a resilient ecosystem on it. Period… end of story.

Well not until ChatGPT takes over and writes fully executable application code thus replacing developers entirely for ever. But then humans are probably next on the chopping block. LOL
I’m an operations leader and developer. I use an iPad Pro for process design, project and strategic planning, note taking, project management, software prototyping using Swift Playgrounds, graphic design, modeling and analysis, and a whole lot more. A basic text editor is not useful for me. I use Noteplan. And I don’t need any incentives to use the iPad — other than the iPad itself. Your explanation does not match this developer’s experience. I’m curious, are you stating your experience as a developer or your opinion of what a developer needs and thinks? 🤔

Reactions: Kal Madda

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
It’s because the iPad is not a developer friendly platform. Every developer needs to have a sense for what they are actually working on. Until the iPad can be used effectively and willingly by developers it will always get lack luster support.

I’m sorry to say (and I mean no offense) but if you understood how application development happened you’d understand this very easily.
Apple wants you to buy a mac to develop software, if they made iPad more "pro", that would cannibalize mac sales.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I’m an operations leader and developer. I use an iPad Pro for process design, project and strategic planning, note taking, project management, software prototyping using Swift Playgrounds, graphic design, modeling and analysis, and a whole lot more. A basic text editor is not useful for me. I use Noteplan. And I don’t need any incentives to use the iPad — other than the iPad itself. Your explanation does not match this developer’s experience. I’m curious, are you stating your experience as a developer or your opinion of what a developer needs and thinks? 🤔
I'll chime in as a Senior VP of Engineering for a company that makes mobile apps and enterprise web apps. Text editors are an important tool in the arsenal. None of our devs/product/QA team use an iPad for anything other than taking notes in a meeting or testing mobile apps. They are just too limiting for any part of our workflow.

Reactions: dk001 and jdb8167

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Definitely need to balance out the negative notation existing in the forum I see.

I use iPad more than my iPhone. Far more these days. It is an amazing device with great versatility, within boundaries.

Recently I just got my MacBook sent to repair, so a few days without my Mac. End of the world? Not really. However I already encounter file-related issues that would be quite painless to solve on Mac but require a dozen steps just to get files to the right place to send over. Paired with the reality that iOS is rather limited compared to macOS, this year might be a leap to iPadOS (which is just iOS), but macOS also gets its own Apple AI thing too.

Maybe iPad is best served as a glorified iPhone, a vision already set back In 2010: does almost everything better than what iPhone does, minus taking pictures and NFC related stuff, and maybe portability.

• Angry
Reactions: heretiq

shadowboi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
And imagine how revolutionary macOS 15 is! Even Tim said in an interview to SuperSaf that he prefers MacBook Air and uses it mostly.

Thinking of pulling the trigger and getting 15’ Air (and I already have 13’ Air M1! I just want more real estate).

As for the iPads… well. Those are large iPhones that cannot call! I wonder why Apple still didn’t add Apple Pencil support to iPhones. Oh wait, it will cannibalize iPad sales🤣

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I'll chime in as a Senior VP of Engineering for a company that makes mobile apps and enterprise web apps. Text editors are an important tool in the arsenal. None of our devs/product/QA team use an iPad for anything other than taking notes in a meeting or testing mobile apps. They are just too limiting for any part of our workflow.
I appreciate your perspective and don’t mean to imply that text editors are not a part of the dev toolkit. My comment was in response to an assertion that a text editor was essential to make an iPad usable for developers — which is not correct as there are numerous dev tasks that can be performed on an iPad without a text editor.

Beyond the fact that there are dozens of text editors available for the iPad (including several Vim ports and Code App which is an iPad IDE built on the Microsoft VSCode Monaco Editor) I use it multiple times each day for swift and SwiftUI prototyping and prefer to work things out on my couch, my deck or on the banks of the Platte River vs hunched over a desk — which I’ll head back to when I’m ready to create incorporate code into a project and generate a new build.

If your team develops with Swift, the iPad is indeed a very useful device in the stack for more than just device testing and note taking. It certainly is for us.

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
I still can't switch apps or do anything else while videos are rendering. And the Files app didn't get any improvements.

I really like using my iPad for most of what I do, but they didn't really do enough to make me want to buy a new iPad Pro.

Reactions: Unami
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.