Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
For those who complain about iPads not having MacOS, I would challenge them to use Windows on a similar size touchscreen device for 5 days

No need, I use my actual iPad to remote to my actual Mac desktop all the time.

I would just like to essentially do the same thing but without the network connection.

and see how many times they resort to a keyboard and mouse instead of touch. A desktop OS doesn’t translate to touch-based interfaces.

I haven't seen anyone advocating for some form of macOS on iPad claim to want to use touch exclusively.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
No need, I use my actual iPad to remote to my actual Mac desktop all the time.

I would just like to essentially do the same thing but without the network connection.

I haven't seen anyone advocating for some form of macOS on iPad claim to want to use touch exclusively.
I think it would be great if Apple provides a secure framework for VMs on iPadOS. Then it wouldn’t be a replacement of iPadOS, but rather an enhancement.

I also have remoted into my Mac Mini from my 11” iPad occasionally, and it wasn’t really ideal, everything was super tiny, but it technically worked.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I also have remoted into my Mac Mini from my 11” iPad occasionally, and it wasn’t really ideal, everything was super tiny, but it technically worked.

As always, there’s a tradeoff. Would I prefer to always use 2x5K@27”? Of course! Would I prefer to carry a smaller and lighter 11” over a larger and heavier 13” even though it means living with a smaller screen? Hell yes!

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
A. that is potentially outdated info because it’s from 2021, and B. I can run apps in the background while I’m doing other things, so clearly apps can run in the background. That source even references frameworks that exist for background tasks.
It was updated in March of this year.

Apple's developer documentation also states this: "Use background execution modes sparingly because overuse can negatively impact device performance and battery life."

It can do it in certain cases but iPadOS is not built for robust multitasking like macOS is.

Reactions: jdb8167

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I like Apple’s touch keyboard implementation. It’s currently basically a full-sized keyboard (at least the same size as the keyboard on the Magic Keyboard Case). So for touch typing with it laying on a table, or propped at a slight angle, it’s about the ideal sizing. I don’t see why people can’t just install a third party keyboard if they prefer something different. For me at least, I’d rather have a basically full-sized keyboard without number keys exposed, than smaller and more cramped together keys with a number row.

I have and mostly use a Magic Keyboard. Even with a substitution, there are times when the OS forces the use of the standard KB.

IMO it would be nice if Apple gave us the option via a switch in settings - number row or no number row (plus , & .) ;)

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
It was updated in March of this year.

Apple's developer documentation also states this: "Use background execution modes sparingly because overuse can negatively impact device performance and battery life."

It can do it in certain cases but iPadOS is not built for robust multitasking like macOS is.
And? Of course we want background processes to be sparing, otherwise our battery life would likely suffer. It makes common sense for Apple to recommend developers use background execution modes sparingly, this is just good practice for code development. You don’t want to use any more background execution modes than you need to get things done even on the Mac. This doesn’t mean “iPadOS doesn’t allow background tasks” as Federico claims. Background tasks are absolutely supported in iPadOS, developers just use frameworks for these background tasks to make them more efficient and prevent users from burning through their battery runtime. It also helps in maintaining greater system security if I understand what I’ve read correctly. But having frameworks for such tasks proves such tasks are indeed possible in iPadOS, and also proves that Federico’s claims were wildly exaggerated, just like several others he made in that article.

Last edited:
Reactions: heretiq and Ludatyk

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
And? Of course we want background processes to be sparing, otherwise our battery life would likely suffer. This doesn’t mean “iPadOS doesn’t allow background tasks” as Federico claims. Background tasks are absolutely supported in iPadOS, developers just use frameworks for these background tasks to make them more efficient and prevent users from burning through their battery runtime. It also helps in maintaining greater system security if I understand what I’ve read correctly. But having frameworks for such tasks proves such tasks are indeed possible in iPadOS, and also proves that Federico’s claims were wildly exaggerated, along with several others he made in that article.
In a limited fashion, yes it supports multitasking but nowhere close to what macOS can do. Apple actively discourages overusing it for a reason.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
In a limited fashion, yes it supports multitasking but nowhere close to what macOS can do. Apple actively discourages overusing it for a reason.

I see it as more simulated multitasking. Not true. And the os can do whatever it wants with stuff in background. Macs you have control no such worries.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
So then I think you and I can agree that Federico’s claims that this is impossible on iPadOS are wildly exaggerated and unsubstantiated. And I agree, Apple discourages overusing background execution for a very good reason: efficiency and battery runtime. I’m sure they’d also discourage overuse of background execution on macOS as well. It’s generally good coding practice to not overuse frameworks where it isn’t needed, resulting in lower battery runtime and efficiency for the end user, regardless of the platform you’re developing on.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I have and mostly use a Magic Keyboard. Even with a substitution, there are times when the OS forces the use of the standard KB.

IMO it would be nice if Apple gave us the option via a switch in settings - number row or no number row (plus , & .) ;)
Sure, I’m not opposed to a setting you could toggle. I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal, since third party keyboards can be used, and a quick swipe up on a key gets you the number or symbol you want. 👍🏻

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Sure, I’m not opposed to a setting you could toggle. I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal, since third party keyboards can be used, and a quick swipe up on a key gets you the number or symbol you want. 👍🏻

I can see that but it takes me back to “why?”.
Across all of my many devices and OSs, Apple is the only one to do this. Is there a real reason or is it just to be different? We’ll never really know.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I can see that but it takes me back to “why?”.
Across all of my many devices and OSs, Apple is the only one to do this. Is there a real reason or is it just to be different? We’ll never really know.
I think it’s so that the keys can be more full-sized for touch typists, while still minimizing the amount of screen real-estate blocked by the keyboard. Also I think that it’s likely not a high priority to spend precious development resources on considering there’s already a fix for those who want something different (third party keyboards) and that it may not be a change most people are asking for. 👍🏻

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
And? Of course we want background processes to be sparing, otherwise our battery life would likely suffer. It makes common sense for Apple to recommend developers use background execution modes sparingly, this is just good practice for code development. You don’t want to use any more background execution modes than you need to get things done even on the Mac. This doesn’t mean “iPadOS doesn’t allow background tasks” as Federico claims. Background tasks are absolutely supported in iPadOS, developers just use frameworks for these background tasks to make them more efficient and prevent users from burning through their battery runtime. It also helps in maintaining greater system security if I understand what I’ve read correctly. But having frameworks for such tasks proves such tasks are indeed possible in iPadOS, and also proves that Federico’s claims were wildly exaggerated, just like several others he made in that article.
Background processes are 100% limited in iPadOS in relation to macOS: it’s hardcoded in the OS. The way iPadOS and iOS manage background processes inherently limits them. It is not just in a Developer’s control. iPadOS and iOS more aggressively shuts down background processes compared to macOS and virtual memory wasn’t even really in existence in iPadOS until more recently. But virtual memory in iPadOS is still limited compared to macOS and doesn’t do much relatively outside of managing Stage Manager.

It’s an achievement to run two processes at once in iPadOS, like rendering something in one App and then exporting a movie in another App. Although that is still elusive. Examples of music playing in the background isn’t really notable multi-tasking… that has been around basically since day 1.

In macOS, you can have effectively UNLIMITED background processes. You can be exporting a project from FCP, exporting a project from iMovie, rendering something in AutoCAD, exporting a project from Logic Pro, saving a Word document to a folder, streaming YouTube, formatting a hard drive, all with 400 tabs going in Safari.

There's a small list of services apps are allowed to do in the background, unlike macOS. iOS and iPadOS use more memory swapping as opposed to virtual memory in macOS. iOS and iPadOS save states of apps so the app on your screen has most of the system memory and is the result of iOS and iPadOS being designed with flash memory.

Even with all of the operating system limitations, I’ve seen M class iPad Pros get less than 3 hours of battery life running professional apps and even have heat warnings on exporting files from FCP. Imagine if macOS was unleashed on the iPad: battery life would be measured in minutes for some and it would throttle the CPU to a screeching halt because of heat.

Reactions: Eugr

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Background processes are 100% limited in iPadOS in relation to macOS: it’s hardcoded in the OS. The way iPadOS and iOS manage background processes inherently limits them. It is not just in a Developer’s control. iPadOS and iOS more aggressively shuts down background processes compared to macOS and virtual memory wasn’t even really in existence in iPadOS until more recently. But virtual memory in iPadOS is still limited compared to macOS and doesn’t do much relatively outside of managing Stage Manager.

It’s an achievement to run two processes at once in iPadOS, like rendering something in one App and then exporting a movie in another App. Although that is still elusive. Examples of music playing in the background isn’t really notable multi-tasking… that has been around basically since day 1.

In macOS, you can have effectively UNLIMITED background processes. You can be exporting a project from FCP, exporting a project from iMovie, rendering something in AutoCAD, exporting a project from Logic Pro, saving a Word document to a folder, streaming YouTube, formatting a hard drive, all with 400 tabs going in Safari.

There's a small list of services apps are allowed to do in the background, unlike macOS. iOS and iPadOS use more memory swapping as opposed to virtual memory in macOS. iOS and iPadOS save states of apps so the app on your screen has most of the system memory and is the result of iOS and iPadOS being designed with flash memory.

Even with all of the operating system limitations, I’ve seen M class iPad Pros get less than 3 hours of battery life running professional apps and even have heat warnings on exporting files from FCP. Imagine if macOS was unleashed on the iPad: battery life would be measured in minutes for some and it would throttle the CPU to a screeching halt because of heat.
What’s the point of this?

They literally just told you that background process are limited in iPadOS (due to battery life), the point they was trying to make is that background process does exist. Federico claims that it’s non-existence… seems as if you just looking to debate.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022

They literally just told you that background process are limited in iPadOS (due to battery life), the point they was trying to make is that background process does exist. Federico claims that it’s non-existence… seems as if you just looking to debate.
This commenter has a history of this kind of behavior. It’s probably best to just ignore him.

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024

The point is that the other poster arguing that it isn't so much limited by the OS. Pretty black and white. However, they are wrong. It is limited by the OS.

Reactions: dk001

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The point is that the other poster arguing that it isn't so much limited by the OS. Pretty black and white. However, they are wrong. It is limited by the OS.
But there are cases where devs need to optimize background processes, that’s the case of FCP on the iPad Pro.

On LumaFusion, I’m able to export a video in the background whereas on the FCP that’s not the case… because Apple haven’t implemented that kind of behavior. Heck, some devs can send a notification to notify users their background action is complete… but not all devs do this.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
But there are cases where devs need to optimize background processes, that’s the case of FCP on the iPad Pro.

On LumaFusion, I’m able to export a video in the background whereas on the FCP that’s not the case… because Apple haven’t implemented that kind of behavior. Heck, some devs can send a notification to notify users their background action is complete… but not all devs do this.
Exactly. With iPadOS, there are several frameworks for handling many different kinds of background processes. It’s just that some apps don’t make use of them. This is a completely different situation than the one Federico claimed, where iPadOS supposedly doesn’t allow any background processes…

Reactions: Ludatyk and heretiq

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024

I agree with you that there are things in a Dev’s control but because LumaFusion can do certain tasks in the background doesn’t mean background processes aren’t limited by the OS. My point earlier is that background processes are very limited in iPadOS by design and it’s not accurate to state or imply it’s mostly under a Dev’s control. I’m not saying you said that.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Which apps run in the background? And if iPad OS lets them why doesn’t Apple let Final Cut do so?

As stated by @Kal Madda , Apple provides several frameworks for background processing. Here are some that are available on iPadOS:

Background Execution Capabilities:
  • Audio Background Mode: Allows music and audio apps to continue playing audio in the background.
  • Background Fetch: Enables apps like news readers to periodically fetch new content in the background.
  • Background Processing: Allows extended background execution, typically overnight, for tasks like photo uploads.
  • Background URLSessions: Enables large file downloads/uploads in the background, used by apps like Dropbox.
  • Background Notifications: Allows server-side events to wake up apps like messaging apps in the background.

Background Execution Restrictions:
  • Apps cannot run arbitrary code continuously in the background.
  • Background execution is limited to specific use cases and mechanisms approved by Apple.
  • Apps cannot override user's intent to quit the app from the multitasking view.
  • Background execution mechanisms have rate limits and heuristics to prevent abuse.

Apps that run in the background:
  1. Music Apps like Spotify leverage the audio background mode to keep playing music.
  2. Messaging Apps like WhatsApp use background notifications for real-time messaging.
  3. Navigation Apps like Google Maps use location services in the background.
  4. Fitness Apps like Strava use background processing for workout tracking.
  5. Cloud Storage Apps like Dropbox use background URLSessions for file transfers.

As you can see claims about limited iPad background app capabilities are hollow. It‘s up to app developers to figure out how to use the considerable background execution mechanism to deliver desired functionality. Apart from that, device configuration will impact overall system and app performance on the iPad just like it does on other computers — so as stated by @Ludatyk , devs also need to optimize app performance. It’s not all on Apple and iPadOS — they’re doing a lot to make the platform both developer and user friendly.

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
iPadOS Background Execution Capabilities:
  • Audio Background Mode: Allows music and audio apps to continue playing audio in the background.
  • Background Fetch: Enables apps like news readers to periodically fetch new content in the background.
  • Background Processing: Allows extended background execution, typically overnight, for tasks like photo uploads.
  • Background URLSessions: Enables large file downloads/uploads in the background, used by apps like Dropbox.
  • Background Notifications: Allows server-side events to wake up apps like messaging apps in the background.

Background Execution Restrictions:
  • Apps cannot run arbitrary code continuously in the background.
  • Background execution is limited to specific use cases and mechanisms approved by Apple.
  • Apps cannot override user's intent to quit the app from the multitasking view.
  • Background execution mechanisms have rate limits and heuristics to prevent abuse.

Apps that run in the background:
  1. Music Apps like Spotify leverage the audio background mode to keep playing music.
  2. Messaging Apps like WhatsApp use background notifications for real-time messaging.
  3. Navigation Apps like Google Maps use location services in the background.
  4. Fitness Apps like Strava use background processing for workout tracking.
  5. Cloud Storage Apps like Dropbox use background URLSessions for file transfers.

As you can see claims about limited iPad background app capabilities are hollow. It‘s up to app developers to figure out how to use the considerable background execution mechanism to deliver desired functionality. Apart from that, device configuration will impact overall system and app performance on the iPad just like it does on other computers.
Not hollow at all. Very limited background processes. And iPadOS does not have the virtual memory capabilities of macOS. It swaps memory frequently. It can’t sustain the type of unlimited multi-tasking that macOS allows. It’s hard-coded into iPadOS.

It’s absurd that we keep going on this. Even overlapping windows in Stage Manager in iPadOS is limited to a maximum of 4. I have 200 overlapping windows open right now on my MacBook Pro. The virtual memory updates iPadOS got is mostly limited for use with Stage Manager.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not hollow at all. Very limited background processes. And iPadOS does not have the virtual memory capabilities of macOS. It swaps memory frequently. It can’t sustain the type of unlimited multi-tasking that macOS allows. It’s hard-coded into iPadOS.

It’s absurd that we keep going on this. Even overlapping windows in Stage Manager in iPadOS is limited to a maximum of 4. I have 200 overlapping windows open right now on my MacBook Pro. The virtual memory updates iPadOS got is mostly limited for use with Stage Manager.
I think you are under the impression that we are comparing iPadOS to macOS, when that’s far from the case. We are only highlighting the misconception that iPadOS does not allow background processes, that’s it.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Yes. Because despite supporting overlapping use cases, the design intent for the iPad is not the same as a Mac. The iPad is a tablet that is optimized from silicon to software for lean-back / contemplative tasks where singular focus is beneficial. The Mac is optimized for lean-forward / production tasks where multitasking is beneficial. This does not mean that either cannot be used for the other‘s optimized use cases, it just means that one will perform its optimized use cases better than the other.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I think you are under the impression that we are comparing iPadOS to macOS, when that’s far from the case. We are only highlighting the misconception that iPadOS does not allow background processes, that’s it.
Exactly, we’re simply pointing out that Federico and other’s claims that iPadOS doesn’t allow background processes is completely false, as background processes are in fact support in iPadOS, they are simply managed with frameworks to keep them efficient and prevent abuse of the system.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
If that's it, then yes, iPadOS does allow background processes. I've been in software development for 12 years, and have teams that have developed for macOS and iOS/iPadOS. The multi-tasking in iOS/iPadOS pales in comparison to macOS, but there are background processes that are possible in iOS/iPadOS. If someone is saying flat out that iOS/iPadOS doesn't allow background processes, I wouldn't agree with them either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.