Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If that's it, then yes, iPadOS does allow background processes. I've been in software development for 12 years, and have teams that have developed for macOS and iOS/iPadOS. The multi-tasking in iOS/iPadOS pales in comparison to macOS, but there are background processes that are possible in iOS/iPadOS. If someone is saying flat out that iOS/iPadOS doesn't allow background processes, I wouldn't agree with them either.
Well, that’s what Federico has stated… he points directly at FCP and immediately claimed “iPadOS lacks background processes.” And this article has been sent out to the masses, which coming from him means something… since he’s known to be the iPad guru.

And he’s made several false claims in the article... but folks see it as the truth, because obviously it’s him. And then there’s critics linking the article supporting his false claims.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
Interesting read.
He may not be entirely accurate about background processes, but context is important. He is referring to "long-running" processes to run in the background not being available on the iPad. He stated he isn't referring to App refreshes, updates, music streaming, etc.

Can someone post a video of Lumafusion running in the background on the iPad? Like exporting a project, then exiting Lumafusion while it's exporting a project, then going into another application like YouTube and streaming a video... then going back to Lumafusion after a few minutes to see what happens with the export? What would be even more interesting is if Lumafusion exports in the background, to open another App that runs in the backround and try and run a process in that and exit out of it and go into YouTube and stream a video to see if two background processes in two different Apps can run (e.g., Lumafusion exporting a project and an audio App exporting a project, etc.).

fw85

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2023
Well, that’s what Federico has stated… he points directly at FCP and immediately claimed “iPadOS lacks background processes.” And this article has been sent out to the masses, which coming from him means something… since he’s known to be the iPad guru.

And he’s made several false claims in the article... but folks see it as the truth, because obviously it’s him. And then there’s critics linking the article supporting his false claims.
So I also use Lumafusion extensively and I went to try this the other day - I started an export (which takes about 5 mins) and then tried switching to another app (stage manager turned off) - the export crashed in the background after being left there for at least about 30 seconds.
It doesn't crash immediately, but neither does it succeed - so there does seem to be some restriction there.

In your testing, have you tried to leave it running in the background for longer periods of time?

Reactions: Ludatyk

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
So I also use Lumafusion extensively and I went to try this the other day - I started an export (which takes about 5 mins) and then tried switching to another app (stage manager turned off) - the export crashed in the background after being left there for at least about 30 seconds.
It doesn't crash immediately, but neither does it succeed - so there does seem to be some restriction there.

In your testing, have you tried to leave it running in the background for longer periods of time?
Your experience is what I'm sort of expecting across the board. I've been developing for iOS and iPadOS for too long and it didn't make sense that someone was able to do that kind of background process for any length of time. Maybe not impossible, but very difficult given restrictions imposed within the OS and how it aggressively kills background processes.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Ahhh.. my testing has been with Stage Manager on… with it off, I am getting similar results.

But even if you go the route of turning Stage Manager off, why not have LumaFusion as a SplitView window to keep the task active?

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Care top elaborate on that? I’m finding just the opposite.
Here’s a few of his false claims:
  • He claims Files is a bad product. Unless he’s the authority on the matter, he’s out of place stating this as a fact when it’s merely his opinion.
  • He claims Files has only marginally improved since iOS 11, totally ignoring all of the major changes over the years such as external storage support, different view layouts, file extension editing, etc.
  • He claims Files isn’t reliable. This isn’t the experience of many other iPad users, including myself, who use Files nearly every day and have never run into a single snag. Again, maybe this is his personal experience, but he doesn’t present it as simply his experience, he presents it as a “fact”.
  • He claims the Files app doesn’t display transfer speeds, while other commenters here have pointed out it actually does.
  • He claims his colleague sent him an .md file, and when he clicked it that it opened in the Delta game emulator. This may have happened, I don’t know, but the falsehood comes where he claims “…and there’s nothing I can do to change it.” This is simply not true, if you’re familiar with iPadOS, then you know that you can use the Share Sheet to select an app to open the file in. So claiming he can’t do anything about it opening in Delta is another false claim.
  • He claims “It’s still unclear how to spawn a new window for the frontmost app, or how to see all windows from the current app.” This isn’t true. Creating a new window for an app still works essentially the same way it did pre-Stage Manager with the Shelf that he liked when it was introduced in iPadOS 15. All it takes is hold-pressing the app icon for the app you want to create a new window for, select Show All Windows, and tap the plus button to add an addition window of that app. Pretty simple, and anyone who was familiar with doing this when multiple app windows were first introduced in iPadOS shouldn’t have any problems doing this.
  • He claims: “Because of a mix of technical limitations and policy decisions, it’s still impossible for an application that wants to perform something in the background to exist on iPadOS.” This is false as we’ve already demonstrated.
  • He claims: “iPadOS’ closed, iPhone-like nature has reverberated throughout other parts of the iPad experience. For instance, system-wide utilities can’t currently exist on the platform.” This is also false. Custom third-party keyboards are a system-wide utility. And I’m pretty sure I’ve seen several of these that have a custom emoji picker, something he also claimed couldn’t be offered on iPadOS.
  • He says “I could then maybe mention how the Home Screen still doesn’t let you place icons freely anywhere you want, or pin specific folders and files for quick access, thus feeling like an enlarged version of the iOS Home Screen.” This is written before iPadOS 18 was announced, so the part about positioning items on the Home Screen was correct, but claiming iPadOS doesn’t allow you to pin documents and folders to the Home Screen is simply not true. This can be accomplished very easily with Siri Shortcuts. And there are also Files app widgets that allow you to pin recently opened files, or specific folders to the Home Screen as well. I use Siri Shortcuts because I can pin a folder to the Home Screen in the same size as an app icon.
These are just a few of the falsehoods he claimed in his article. I’m sure there are likely more that I missed.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Appreciate your feedback. However I feel that your points and the author are opinions. Both are valid but are looking at things from differing points.
  • He claims Files is a bad product. Unless he’s the authority on the matter, he’s out of place stating this as a fact when it’s merely his opinion.
Compared to other file explorer type products it is very crippled. IMO
  • He claims Files has only marginally improved since iOS 11, totally ignoring all of the major changes over the years such as external storage support, different view layouts, file extension editing, etc.
Can’t say as I haven’t tracked it
  • He claims Files isn’t reliable. This isn’t the experience of many other iPad users, including myself, who use Files nearly every day and have never run into a single snag. Again, maybe this is his personal experience, but he doesn’t present it as simply his experience, he presents it as a “fact”.
I have had issues with Files however I run all the betas so … 😁
  • He claims the Files app doesn’t display transfer speeds, while other commenters here have pointed out it actually does.
I have only seen this using a third party app.
  • He claims his colleague sent him an .md file, and when he clicked it that it opened in the Delta game emulator. This may have happened, I don’t know, but the falsehood comes where he claims “…and there’s nothing I can do to change it.” This is simply not true, if you’re familiar with iPadOS, then you know that you can use the Share Sheet to select an app to open the file in. So claiming he can’t do anything about it opening in Delta is another false claim.
That function is limited. I receive many files that I have to use the assigned default app to open or process.
  • He claims “It’s still unclear how to spawn a new window for the frontmost app, or how to see all windows from the current app.” This isn’t true. Creating a new window for an app still works essentially the same way it did pre-Stage Manager with the Shelf that he liked when it was introduced in iPadOS 15. All it takes is hold-pressing the app icon for the app you want to create a new window for, select Show All Windows, and tap the plus button to add an addition window of that app. Pretty simple, and anyone who was familiar with doing this when multiple app windows were first introduced in iPadOS shouldn’t have any problems doing this.
Don’t use SM. Tried it and it was of minimal use for my work flow.
  • He claims: “Because of a mix of technical limitations and policy decisions, it’s still impossible for an application that wants to perform something in the background to exist on iPadOS.” This is false as we’ve already demonstrated.
That is very limited in functionality. You can but it is far from what other OS’s are capable of. Level of functionality?
  • He claims: “iPadOS’ closed, iPhone-like nature has reverberated throughout other parts of the iPad experience. For instance, system-wide utilities can’t currently exist on the platform.” This is also false. Custom third-party keyboards are a system-wide utility. And I’m pretty sure I’ve seen several of these that have a custom emoji picker, something he also claimed couldn’t be offered on iPadOS.
Once again tomaytoe vs tomotoe … It is from my perspective more utility vs “can we”
  • He says “I could then maybe mention how the Home Screen still doesn’t let you place icons freely anywhere you want, or pin specific folders and files for quick access, thus feeling like an enlarged version of the iOS Home Screen.” This is written before iPadOS 18 was announced, so the part about positioning items on the Home Screen was correct, but claiming iPadOS doesn’t allow you to pin documents and folders to the Home Screen is simply not true. This can be accomplished very easily with Siri Shortcuts. And there are also Files app widgets that allow you to pin recently opened files, or specific folders to the Home Screen as well. I use Siri Shortcuts because I can pin a folder to the Home Screen in the same size as an app icon.
I’ve tried this however they open is the default Apple assigned app. These appear more to me to be bookmark type items. Personally I use this type of function rarely.
These are just a few of the falsehoods he claimed in his article. I’m sure there are likely more that I missed.
Once again, I appreciate your take on this. It helps expand my knowledge how.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Appreciate your feedback. However I feel that your points and the author are opinions. Both are valid but are looking at things from differing points.

Compared to other file explorer type products it is very crippled. IMO

Can’t say as I haven’t tracked it

I have had issues with Files however I run all the betas so … 😁

I have only seen this using a third party app.

That function is limited. I receive many files that I have to use the assigned default app to open or process.

Don’t use SM. Tried it and it was of minimal use for my work flow.

That is very limited in functionality. You can but it is far from what other OS’s are capable of. Level of functionality?

Once again tomaytoe vs tomotoe … It is from my perspective more utility vs “can we”

I’ve tried this however they open is the default Apple assigned app. These appear more to me to be bookmark type items. Personally I use this type of function rarely.

Once again, I appreciate your take on this. It helps expand my knowledge how.
Thanks, I appreciate your take as well. 👍🏻.

Reactions: dk001

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
You erroneously label something as invalid when you yourself are committing the very things you charge others as doing.
  • Firstly, the author's article is an opinion piece. It's clear from the context. If there are statements he makes that are false, then that is something else.
  • You said: "He claims Files is a bad product. Unless he’s the authority on the matter, he’s out of place stating this as a fact when it’s merely his opinion." As stated, we know it's his opinion. But aside from that, you commit a logical fallacy of Appeal to Authority. Just because someone is an authority doesn't mean they are right. And stating that someone has to be an authority on file systems to make a factual statement about it is invalid. Anybody can make a statement about using software and reach valid conclusions that are also facts. For instance, if an App crashes for someone all of the time on hardware that is stated as being fully compatible with it, and they say it's a bad product, that is valid and 100% factual... because that is bad and it is a fact that it crashes all of the time.
  • You said: "He claims Files has only marginally improved since iOS 11, totally ignoring all of the major changes over the years such as external storage support, different view layouts, file extension editing, etc." You state some examples of what you consider to be improvements. But overall, you fallaciously reason through this to effectively erect a strawman. You haven't addressed some key issues he points out, instead pointing out a small list of things you think are improvements made to the Files App without addressing many of the main issues he states... which revolves around the performance of the Files App and moving files around. You then make a broad statement, "This isn’t the experience of many other iPad users, including myself, who use Files nearly every day and have never run into a single snag." But you cite no evidence to support this claim which is broad in its statement. Show us the data you have of the many other iPad users who both use Files nearly everyday and never run into a single snag.
  • You said: "He claims his colleague sent him an .md file, and when he clicked it that it opened in the Delta game emulator. This may have happened, I don’t know, but the falsehood comes where he claims “…and there’s nothing I can do to change it.” What he is focused on is changing the native application that a file opens with by default. What you point out will not permanently change what application the file type opens with by default.
  • You said: "He claims: “Because of a mix of technical limitations and policy decisions, it’s still impossible for an application that wants to perform something in the background to exist on iPadOS.” This is false as we’ve already demonstrated." Actually, we haven't really demonstrated anything. There is some conjecture here without video evidence. I have an iPad Pro M4 and am doing some testing, but I have not been able to verify the claims of running longer-term background processes on it via LumaFusion with and without SM on. Running something in the background for 30 seconds or 5 minutes is not the same as running something in the background for 10-20 minutes, which is also important to mention because that is exactly what iOS and iPadOS struggle with, which is sustained throughput because of thermal device constraints and how aggressive these OSes kill background processes.
I could go on... look, I don't agree with everything the author says either, but at this point... I'm wondering with how much time is being spent on this... what is your main point? What now? Is the sky going to fall?

• Haha

iPadified

macrumors 68010
Apr 25, 2017
Not sure it is falsehood but it is ignorance and inability to learn and accept the intention of another OS.

Surprisingly, I manage to export from iMovie and look at the Web at the same time using stage manager with two windows open one for each app. Maximising Safari to full screen leads to crashes in export. It might be a design choice to let user have good control over energy demanding processes to not get a nasty surprise by a flat battery.

If I need to use the share sheet once in a while, I am fine with that. Actually having default connection between a file type and app requires that 1. you know that this connections exist. 2. That you know how to change it. It maybe less confusing for the nonspecialist to always be asked which app to open a document with. Again, this might be a design choice.

Instead of just listing faults and oddities, try to explain why this choice was made but that demands that you look outside of your own needs.

I cannot accept that the development department at Apple works by a whim and to intentionally make life difficult for those with large computer knowledge who often complain about iPadOS.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Nope. Mac is also kinda dead in the water.

It works like this. Dying is when your volume of sales are shrinking and revenue per unit also shrinks consistently for an indeterminate period of time.

Mac is not a growing platform and neither is iPad.

It’s only people in the top 1% of income and wealth that can afford a new multi thousand dollar device every year or even every 2-3 years that are keeping these products alive.

It’s a very niche market outside of graphic design.

Windows is still not nearly as pretty or elegant as MacOS but they’ve really polished it up very well and it’s still on over 85 percent of computers on the planet.

Mac OS and iPad OS are being maintained. Not much innovation happening outside of the change in processors.

But in general don’t expect massive shifts in developer support as long as things remain the same.

Just go ask ChatGPT to chart windows pc unit sales and Mac unit sales for the past decade and compare the numbers.

Macs unit sales hasn’t increased more than 1 percent over the past decade!

I wouldn’t call that moving the market.

Then if you want to have a laugh or a cry ask it to chart iPad Unit sales for the last decade.

Peaked in 2013 with 70 million units sold and then dropped like a rock from 2014 to 2017… hit rock bottom in 2019 with 40 million units and then bounced back to 45 million units in 2021 and has been declining since then.

It is the epitome of a dying platform and developer support for the platform has stagnated as is natural for any device with so little interest.

It’s not dead yet. But it’s genuinely on life support by comparison to Mac sales. And that’s not saying Mac is a massive market mover anymore.

Keep in mind this isn’t an analysis of revenue but honestly the platforms aren’t making major bucks for Apple outside of the incidental sales on their media platforms and AppStore’s.

I mean.. just look at the Mac AppStore. Tons and tons of apps haven’t seen an update in half a decade LOL

I think what you’re forgetting is that Apple’s business model has never been one that seeks after market share. They’re not after selling as many units as possible, unlike PC makers and Android products. They’re after margins. They make far more off each product sold than any PC or Android device almost. That’s why when you look at the amount of profit for smartphones, Apple captures an enormous portion of it - even though Androids make up most users on earth.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
You erroneously label something as invalid when you yourself are committing the very things you charge others as doing.
  • Firstly, the author's article is an opinion piece. It's clear from the context. If there are statements he makes that are false, then that is something else.
  • You said: "He claims Files is a bad product. Unless he’s the authority on the matter, he’s out of place stating this as a fact when it’s merely his opinion." As stated, we know it's his opinion. But aside from that, you commit a logical fallacy of Appeal to Authority. Just because someone is an authority doesn't mean they are right. And stating that someone has to be an authority on file systems to make a factual statement about it is invalid. Anybody can make a statement about using software and reach valid conclusions that are also facts. For instance, if an App crashes for someone all of the time on hardware that is stated as being fully compatible with it, and they say it's a bad product, that is valid and 100% factual... because that is bad and it is a fact that it crashes all of the time.
  • You said: "He claims Files has only marginally improved since iOS 11, totally ignoring all of the major changes over the years such as external storage support, different view layouts, file extension editing, etc." You state some examples of what you consider to be improvements. But overall, you fallaciously reason through this to effectively erect a strawman. You haven't addressed some key issues he points out, instead pointing out a small list of things you think are improvements made to the Files App without addressing many of the main issues he states... which revolves around the performance of the Files App and moving files around. You then make a broad statement, "This isn’t the experience of many other iPad users, including myself, who use Files nearly every day and have never run into a single snag." But you cite no evidence to support this claim which is broad in its statement. Show us the data you have of the many other iPad users who both use Files nearly everyday and never run into a single snag.
  • You said: "He claims his colleague sent him an .md file, and when he clicked it that it opened in the Delta game emulator. This may have happened, I don’t know, but the falsehood comes where he claims “…and there’s nothing I can do to change it.” What he is focused on is changing the native application that a file opens with by default. What you point out will not permanently change what application the file type opens with by default.
  • You said: "He claims: “Because of a mix of technical limitations and policy decisions, it’s still impossible for an application that wants to perform something in the background to exist on iPadOS.” This is false as we’ve already demonstrated." Actually, we haven't really demonstrated anything. There is some conjecture here without video evidence. I have an iPad Pro M4 and am doing some testing, but I have not been able to verify the claims of running longer-term background processes on it via LumaFusion with and without SM on. Running something in the background for 30 seconds or 5 minutes is not the same as running something in the background for 10-20 minutes, which is also important to mention because that is exactly what iOS and iPadOS struggle with, which is sustained throughput because of thermal device constraints and how aggressive these OSes kill background processes.
I could go on... look, I don't agree with everything the author says either, but at this point... I'm wondering with how much time is being spent on this... what is your main point? What now? Is the sky going to fall?
Nope, just pointing out false claims in his article.

A. He adds no qualifier that this is merely his experience or opinion, and this is mixed in with things he’s claiming as fact. Yes, it’s an opinion piece, but truth claims are still made within opinion pieces fairly often. And in this case, he’s making truth claims about what’s “wrong” with iPadOS in its current state.

B. Actually, it is not a logical fallacy to point out that his opinion is merely that, and can’t be anything more. A faulty appeal to authority would be if I appealed to the opinion of another “expert” to claim a subjective matter as fact, or in other words, appealing to the “authority” of an “expert” rather than the evidence that supports or doesn’t support a claim. Ex. “The iPad and iPadOS are bad and need fixed because Federico says it is”. Pointing out that his opinion isn’t the only one and is also not fact as he makes it come across is not that.

C. I quoted where he said that the Files app had hardly improved since iOS 11. If you look at the number of features that have been added to the Files app since iOS 11, this simply isn’t true. And again, I don’t have to do your research for you. I’ve seen many other people who use the Files app regularly and have had the same experience I have. It wouldn’t make any sense to assume that the majority of Files app users are having the app crash all of the time, but also assume that Apple wouldn’t fix it to prevent those crashes and issues. You would essentially have to conclude that Apple is purposefully making the Files app a bad experience, even though this would go against their interests of selling more iPads, and doesn’t fit with the many Files app users who say they haven’t had issues with the Files app. This conspiracy theory makes zero sense. And you can find plenty of these people on the web, again I’m not obligated to do your research for you.

D. He doesn’t say “there’s no way I can change the default app”, rather he says “…and there’s nothing I can do to change it.” What he’s talking about there is it opening in Delta. His whole point there is that it opens in Delta and there is nothing he can do to change it, which is false. Again, he can open it in a different app very easily by using the Share Sheet.

E. He said that iPadOS didn’t allow background processes at all if you read the quote I supplied. So whether it’s a 5 second task or greater, it doesn’t matter, because he claimed none could exist in iPadOS. And we’ve already demonstrated that background tasks can run for longer than 5 seconds. So this is a false claim.

My point is that he made several false claims in this seeming anti-iPad hit piece, and that matters. When someone with his voice and platform, who’s traditionally defended the iPad platform until more recently the last couple years where he’s seemingly too busy beating up on it instead, spread’s misinformation like this that other articles will link to, it’s damaging. Those who don’t know that some of these things he’s claiming are false could be steered towards making a less than ideal choice for their use simply because he made these false claims. Truth matters, and this article lacks it in many ways. And I actually like Federico’s content when it isn’t doing this kind of stuff. I used to like his iPad pieces, and now for about the last two years, he basically seems to be on a quest to badmouth and trash talk the iPad and advocate for copy pasting the “Mac way” of doing things onto the iPad, where before, he used to advocate for the iPad finding it’s own way that makes sense for the iPad. Incorporating Mac-like features in a way that makes sense for iPadOS. But he doesn’t really write those articles anymore.

Last edited:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Control Center widgets "run" just like home screen widgets, meaning they don't at all. They are just views into static data that get updated based on push notifications/whenever the system gives a background update to an app.

Mac Menu bar apps are just always running, can have persistent connections, can respond to user actions.

So no, the iPad didn't get anything more than a new place to put widgets.

Reactions: Kahnforever

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I cannot accept that the development department at Apple works by a whim and to intentionally make life difficult for those with large computer knowledge who often complain about iPadOS.
Of course they don't. That doesn't mean they have been slow to address pain points. IMO, this stems from the fact that iPadOS was not written from the ground up, it was branched from iOS which is a phone OS and the limitations that come with that.

Reactions: dk001 and Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Control Center widgets "run" just like home screen widgets, meaning they don't at all. They are just views into static data that get updated based on push notifications/whenever the system gives a background update to an app.

Mac Menu bar apps are just always running, can have persistent connections, can respond to user actions.

So no, the iPad didn't get anything more than a new place to put widgets.
Home Screen widgets do work, I use them all the time. Since iOS and iPadOS 17, widgets have been interactive, so they don’t just show data from the app, but also allow you to directly control functions of the app. Like checking off list items on the Reminders widget. Most macOS Menu Bar apps I’ve used are designed to do simple tasks like this as well. From my perspective, macOS Menu Bar apps are essentially app widgets you can access anywhere in the system. And that’s what Control Center Applets will allow for as well. They may not be exactly the same, but that’s why I said it basically adds the functionality of macOS Menu Bar Apps.

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
Nope, just pointing out false claims in his article.

A. He adds no qualifier that this is merely his experience or opinion, and this is mixed in with things he’s claiming as fact. Yes, it’s an opinion piece, but truth claims are still made within opinion pieces fairly often. And in this case, he’s making truth claims about what’s “wrong” with iPadOS in its current state.

B. Actually, it is not a logical fallacy to point out that his opinion is merely that, and can’t be anything more. A faulty appeal to authority would be if I appealed to the opinion of another “expert” to claim a subjective matter as fact, or in other words, appealing to the “authority” of an “expert” rather than the evidence that supports or doesn’t support a claim. Ex. “The iPad and iPadOS are bad and need fixed because Federico says it is”. Pointing out that his opinion isn’t the only one and is also not fact as he makes it come across is not that.

C. I quoted where he said that the Files app had hardly improved since iOS 11. If you look at the number of features that have been added to the Files app since iOS 11, this simply isn’t true. And again, I don’t have to do your research for you. I’ve seen many other people who use the Files app regularly and have had the same experience I have. It wouldn’t make any sense to assume that the majority of Files app users are having the app crash all of the time, but also assume that Apple wouldn’t fix it to prevent those crashes and issues. You would essentially have to conclude that Apple is purposefully making the Files app a bad experience, even though this would go against their interests of selling more iPads, and doesn’t fit with the many Files app users who say they haven’t had issues with the Files app. This conspiracy theory makes zero sense. And you can find plenty of these people on the web, again I’m not obligated to do your research for you.

D. He doesn’t say “there’s no way I can change the default app”, rather he says “…and there’s nothing I can do to change it.” What he’s talking about there is it opening in Delta. His whole point there is that it opens in Delta and there is nothing he can do to change it, which is false. Again, he can open it in a different app very easily by using the Share Sheet.

E. He said that iPadOS didn’t allow background processes at all if you read the quote I supplied. So whether it’s a 5 second task or greater, it doesn’t matter, because he claimed none could exist in iPadOS. And we’ve already demonstrated that background tasks can run for longer than 5 seconds. So this is a false claim.

My point is that he made several false claims in this seeming anti-iPad hit piece, and that matters. When someone with his voice and platform, who’s traditionally defended the iPad platform until more recently the last couple years where he’s seemingly too busy beating up on it instead, spread’s misinformation like this that other articles will link to, it’s damaging. Those who don’t know that some of these things he’s claiming are false could be steered towards making a less than ideal choice for their use simply because he made these false claims. Truth matters, and this article lacks it in many ways. And I actually like Federico’s content when it isn’t doing this kind of stuff. I used to like his iPad pieces, and now for about the last two years, he basically seems to be on a quest to badmouth and trash talk the iPad and advocate for copy pasting the “Mac way” of doing things onto the iPad, where before, he used to advocate for the iPad finding it’s own way that makes sense for the iPad. Incorporating Mac-like features in a way that makes sense for iPadOS. But he doesn’t really write those articles anymore.
A. It is an opinion piece. That being the case, he doesn't have to say "In my opinion. In my opinion. In my opinion. In my opinion." This isn't a University Essay or research paper, it's an opinion piece on a Mac site. And he is clear about the purpose of the article: "Instead of reviewing the new iPad Pro, I took the time to put together a list of all the common problems I’VE run into over the past…checks notes…12 years of working on the iPad, before its operating system was even called iPadOS."
B. Again, another strawman you erect. You stated previously: "Unless he’s the authority on the matter, he’s out of place stating this as a fact when it’s merely his opinion." That is just invalid as already pointed out. Secondly, your strawman is to say that this is a subjective matter only and that the author just makes that statement... just because... without supporting information. That is false. The entire purpose of the article is to document his actual experience using the iPad over the past 12 years. And if things are slow using certain apps, if they crash, if they fail, etc. in his experience and all things being equal, that is a fact and is not subjective. That is your logical fallacy: taking away the actual empirical experience of someone and then labelling it as invalid because you ascribe it as being only subjective. One person's experience is not invalid because you say it is, and he documents clearly the several issues he has had.
C. You actually don't address what I have called you out on. You don't address the main issues he cites with the Files App, which is performance and moving files around. I'm not going to post a bunch of links but these latter two things are widely complained about all over the Web. I'm not saying the Files App is bad for everyone, but his discussion on this is valid.
D. On the Files App here, you're just wrong. You are not comprehending what you are reading. It is clear he is talking about setting a file type to open in a default App. This is what he said: "I saved the most absurd limitation of Files for last. As of iPadOS 17, it’s still impossible to set default apps for opening specific file types. I shouldn’t even have to explain why this is a ridiculous shortcoming, but here we are. On the iPad, every document you click in Files defaults to showing you a Quick Look preview, and there is no way to tell the system that you want to view the document with another app instead... John sent me edits for this story as a .md file. Since I have a beta of Delta for iPad installed, the Files app is convinced that this file is a SEGA Genesis game, and there’s nothing I can do to change it. I wish I was kidding."
E. He is referring to long-running and complex tasks in the background and he repeats that. He said: "iPadOS needs to gain support for executing long-running, complex tasks in the background. I’m not referring to Background App Refresh, which is the system that lets apps stay active in short bursts in the background to receive push notifications and other updates. I’m talking about the ability to tap into the power of the M-series chips and the iPad’s RAM to keep specific tasks running in the background while you’re doing something else... From clipboard managers and video encoders to automation utilities and AI-based photo editors, if you want to run a time-consuming task in the background on iPad, you’re out of luck." For those of us who develop for Mac and iOS/iPadOS, he is mostly correct. I wouldn't go so far to say something is impossible as he has, but complex, long-running tasks are basically not possible within iOS/iPadOS with few exceptions. Those processes will get killed by the OS. With the release of SM, Apple ushered in a form of virtual memory within iPadOS. This helps with background processes but iPadOS only really uses it with SM, and not much else. But it's limited compared to macOS and also because of the thermal constraints of the iPad hardware, the heat that gets generated is substantial and processes get throttled and killed for that reason alone. There hasn't been a single video posted that shows a long-running, complex task running in the background on the iPad while doing other things. And at best, you might be able to get way with doing a few things at once, but compared to macOS, it's basically a joke. Again, I think he could have been a bit more clear on this point.

You don't need to care or worry about Apple. There is no damage. Nobody cares. Apple will take care of itself.

• Haha

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
A. It is an opinion piece. That being the case, he doesn't have to say "In my opinion. In my opinion. In my opinion. In my opinion." This isn't a University Essay or research paper, it's an opinion piece on a Mac site. And he is clear about the purpose of the article: "Instead of reviewing the new iPad Pro, I took the time to put together a list of all the common problems I’VE run into over the past…checks notes…12 years of working on the iPad, before its operating system was even called iPadOS."
B. Again, another strawman you erect. You stated previously: "Unless he’s the authority on the matter, he’s out of place stating this as a fact when it’s merely his opinion." That is just invalid as already pointed out. Secondly, your strawman is to say that this is a subjective matter only and that the author just makes that statement... just because... without supporting information. That is false. The entire purpose of the article is to document his actual experience using the iPad over the past 12 years. And if things are slow using certain apps, if they crash, if they fail, etc. in his experience and all things being equal, that is a fact and is not subjective. That is your logical fallacy: taking away the actual empirical experience of someone and then labelling it as invalid because you ascribe it as being only subjective. One person's experience is not invalid because you say it is, and he documents clearly the several issues he has had.
C. You actually don't address what I have called you out on. You don't address the main issues he cites with the Files App, which is performance and moving files around. I'm not going to post a bunch of links but these latter two things are widely complained about all over the Web. I'm not saying the Files App is bad for everyone, but his discussion on this is valid.
D. On the Files App here, you're just wrong. You are not comprehending what you are reading. It is clear he is talking about setting a file type to open in a default App. This is what he said: "I saved the most absurd limitation of Files for last. As of iPadOS 17, it’s still impossible to set default apps for opening specific file types. I shouldn’t even have to explain why this is a ridiculous shortcoming, but here we are. On the iPad, every document you click in Files defaults to showing you a Quick Look preview, and there is no way to tell the system that you want to view the document with another app instead... John sent me edits for this story as a .md file. Since I have a beta of Delta for iPad installed, the Files app is convinced that this file is a SEGA Genesis game, and there’s nothing I can do to change it. I wish I was kidding."
E. He is referring to long-running and complex tasks in the background and he repeats that. He said: "iPadOS needs to gain support for executing long-running, complex tasks in the background. I’m not referring to Background App Refresh, which is the system that lets apps stay active in short bursts in the background to receive push notifications and other updates. I’m talking about the ability to tap into the power of the M-series chips and the iPad’s RAM to keep specific tasks running in the background while you’re doing something else... From clipboard managers and video encoders to automation utilities and AI-based photo editors, if you want to run a time-consuming task in the background on iPad, you’re out of luck." For those of us who develop for Mac and iOS/iPadOS, he is mostly correct. I wouldn't go so far to say something is impossible as he has, but complex, long-running tasks are basically not possible within iOS/iPadOS with few exceptions. Those processes will get killed by the OS. With the release of SM, Apple ushered in a form of virtual memory within iPadOS. This helps with background processes but iPadOS only really uses it with SM, and not much else. But it's limited compared to macOS and also because of the thermal constraints of the iPad hardware, the heat that gets generated is substantial and processes get throttled and killed for that reason alone. There hasn't been a single video posted that shows a long-running, complex task running in the background on the iPad while doing other things. And at best, you might be able to get way with doing a few things at once, but compared to macOS, it's basically a joke. Again, I think he could have been a bit more clear on this point.

You don't need to care or worry about Apple. There is no damage. Nobody cares. Apple will take care of itself.
A. And in that opinion piece, he makes unqualified truth claims that are false…

B. He made claims beyond his experience such as the claim that the Files app is a bad product. He didn’t say “the Files app is a bad product for me”, or “in my experience”. He said “The Files app is a bad product”. As a fact claim. Which is again false.

C. Files app performance and moving files around isn’t relevant to his claim that the Files app hasn’t received any significant changes since iOS 11. Again, another fact claim that he made that is not supported by a quick look at the update history for the Files app, such as external drive support, file extension editing, etc. which are are considered by many (including him when these changes first arrived) as pretty major changes to the Files app… And, btw, I move files around pretty often in the Files app, and have never had any issues doing so. Performance has been great for me, even on beta versions of iPadOS.

D. Nope, because look at that last part of his statement. He says “Since I have a beta of Delta for iPad installed, the Files app is convinced that this file is a SEGA Genesis game, and there’s nothing I can do to change it. I wish I was kidding." This statement is incorrect, because he can change it by selecting a different app to open the file in in the Share Sheet. At the very best interpretation of this, it’s highly misleading because it implies there’s no solution to this problem and he’s left to the whims of the Files app and where it wants to open his file, when in reality, it’s very simple for him to tap the Share Sheet and open the file in the app he wants to.

E. And as you just mentioned, he stated that it was impossible to do this in iPadOS, which is false. Limited isn’t the same as impossible, and I think some people blow the “limits” of this background functionality way out of proportion. With Stage Manager on iPadOS, you can be running at least 4 processes at once in the foreground (8 when attached to an external monitor), so unless you’re trying to do some crazy stuff, I don’t see how this would be a big deal. And as we’ve already demonstrated, processes can continue to run even in the background. This also an area where he seems to be attempting to rewrite history. He used to praise the iPad’s focus on individual tasks as a benefit, now he seems hell bent to paint it as a curse, even though iPadOS now has far better background functionality than it did back when he was praising it’s utility before. This seems deceptive, because he’s now retconning his experience to match his newly held positions. What he used to say was an advantage of using an iPad he now claims has been a disadvantage to him for the past 12 years… If it was a disadvantage to him 12 years ago, why wasn’t he mentioning it, and why was he saying that single task focus was more beneficial to his workflow because it minimized distractions? He can’t have it both ways, either he was being dishonest about his experiences over the last 12 years when he was focusing on all of the benefits of this focused workflow that was making him more productive, or he’s being dishonest now when he claims this has hindered him for the past 12 years…

For the record, this isn’t about “caring for Apple”, this is about caring for the truth. Something I find lacking in many of his claims in this article…

Last edited:

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
A. And in that opinion piece, he makes unqualified truth claims that are false…

B. He made claims beyond his experience such as the claim that the Files app is a bad product. He didn’t say “the Files app is a bad product for me”, or “in my experience”. He said “The Files app is a bad product”. As a fact claim. Which is again false.

C. Files app performance and moving files around isn’t relevant to his claim that the Files app hasn’t received any significant changes since iOS 11. Again, another fact claim that he made that is not supported by a quick look at the update history for the Files app, such as external drive support, file extension editing, etc. which are are considered by many (including him when these changes first arrived) as pretty major changes to the Files app… And, btw, I move files around pretty often in the Files app, and have never had any issues doing so. Performance has been great for me, even on beta versions of iPadOS.

D. Nope, because look at that last part of his statement. He says “Since I have a beta of Delta for iPad installed, the Files app is convinced that this file is a SEGA Genesis game, and there’s nothing I can do to change it. I wish I was kidding." This statement is incorrect, because he can change it by selecting a different app to open the file in in the Share Sheet. At the very best interpretation of this, it’s highly misleading because it implies there’s no solution to this problem and he’s just a poor little victim left to the whims of the Files app and where it wants to open his file, when in reality, it’s very simple for him to tap the Share Sheet and open the file in the app he wants to.

E. And as you just mentioned, he stated that it was impossible to do this in iPadOS, which is false. Limited isn’t the same as impossible, and I think some people blow the “limits” of this background functionality way out of proportion. With Stage Manager on iPadOS, you can be running at least 4 processes at once in the foreground (8 when attached to an external monitor), so unless you’re trying to do some crazy stuff, I don’t see how this would be a big deal. And as we’ve already demonstrated, processes can continue to run even in the background. This also an area where he seems to be attempting to rewrite history. He used to praise the iPad’s focus on individual tasks as a benefit, now he seems hell bent to paint it as a curse, even though iPadOS now has far better background functionality than it did back when he was praising it’s utility before. This seems deceptive, because he’s now retconning his experience to match his newly held positions. What he used to say was an advantage of using an iPad he now claims has been a disadvantage to him for the past 12 years… If it was a disadvantage to him 12 years ago, why wasn’t he mentioning it, and why was he saying that single task focus was more beneficial to his workflow because it minimized distractions? He can’t have it both ways, either he was being dishonest about his experiences over the last 12 years when he was focusing on all of the benefits of this focused workflow that was making him more productive, or he’s being dishonest now when he claims this has hindered him for the past 12 years…
A. Unqualified truth claims. How do you actually define this?
B. Again, you're not comprehending what you are reading. It is clear from his article it is HIS experience. "I took the time to put together a list of all the common problems I’VE run into over the past"
C. Yes, Files App performance and moving files around IS relevant to his claim that the Files App hasn't received any significant changes since iOS 11. You again commit a logical fallacy by ascribing your own subjective opinion about what you think is significant as a fact. What you think is significant as a change does not necessarily mean it is for someone else, because this is related to what a person prioritizes as important in some piece of software. You also make statements with no evidence, like citing many other people but there is no evidence to support it. If you like the file management on iPad with the Files App, then cool. But that is not a "fact" to assign generally and then make broad conclusions from it such that a different conclusion is wrong compared to yours.
D. Again, you are not comprehending what you are reading. He already introduced what he was talking about in the beginning of the very section you are referring to. He doesn't have to repeat it over and over. He is talking about setting the default app to open a File type.
E. He stated it is impossible in context, and you are not comprehending it and are erroneously leaving out key words and context. He clearly states long-running, complex tasks running in the background, including right after he used the term impossible in the background process section.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
A. Unqualified truth claims. How do you actually define this?
B. Again, you're not comprehending what you are reading. It is clear from his article it is HIS experience. "I took the time to put together a list of all the common problems I’VE run into over the past"
C. Yes, Files App performance and moving files around IS relevant to his claim that the Files App hasn't received any significant changes since iOS 11. You again commit a logical fallacy by ascribing your own subjective opinion about what you think is significant as a fact. What you think is significant as a change does not necessarily mean it is for someone else, because this is related to what a person prioritizes as important in some piece of software. You also make statements with no evidence, like citing many other people but there is no evidence to support it. If you like the file management on iPad with the Files App, then cool. But that is not a "fact" to assign generally and then make broad conclusions from it such that a different conclusion is wrong compared to yours.
D. Again, you are not comprehending what you are reading. He already introduced what he was talking about in the beginning of the very section you are referring to. He doesn't have to repeat it over and over. He is talking about setting the default app to open a File type.
E. He stated it is impossible in context, and you are not comprehending it and are erroneously leaving out key words and context. He clearly states long-running, complex tasks running in the background, including right after he used the term impossible in the background process section.
A. Statements that read as truth claims rather than being qualified as opinions. Such as when he said “Files is a bad product and needs a rethink” as if that is a fact and not merely an opinion. If he wanted to state it as his opinion, he easily could have said “In my opinion, the Files app is a bad product and needs a rethink.” But he didn’t, he merely stated it as if this was some universal truth we should all know and accept… And to your earlier point that “this isn’t an essay”, it actually should be held to a higher standard than an essay, because this is written by a professional writer. Not a kid in school. When he makes claims like this, he should be using proper rules of writing such as qualifying when he’s talking about his personal experience, opinion, etc. it would be like if an author wrote “it is always day and never night” rather than saying “it is always day and never night for this part of the year from my perspective here near the equator”. The first sentence is a very different claim with very different consequences than the latter…

B. Yes, yes, and that’s all very good, but he still mixes truth claims into his “opinion piece”. Opinions are meaningless if not informed by facts, so just about any opinion piece will cite facts to makes sense of said opinion… And many of his claims are presented as truth claims, not qualified with an “in my experience” or “in my opinion”, which leads the reader to conclude this is universal truth that is being conveyed here.

C. It isn’t relevant, because his claim is that there have been no significant changes to the Files app since iOS 11, not that there have been no significant changes to performance or moving files in the Files app since iOS 11. Again, he makes a broad truth claim, and again, it bears out false. And it’s not about my opinion of what’s a major change or not, he himself said these were major improvements when they originally came out, I read his articles from back when things like external drive support were announced. So either he lied then when he said that they were major changes, or he’s lying now when he’s claiming there haven’t been any.

D. He claims there is no way to prevent a file a colleague sent him from opening in Delta. This claim isn’t true.

E. He claims iPadOS doesn’t allow apps to perform processes in the background. This is untrue. I didn’t pick his wording, he did. And with stage manager, the concept of what a “background process” is in that case can kind of be open to some degree of interpretation, since a window in a stage can be a “background window” buried under several other app windows you’re concurrently working on. It could be one of 8 processes you’re running simultaneously on your iPad and secondary monitor, which exceeds most normal workflows I could possibly think of. It depends on whether you define a background process as one working on another app in another app window in the background, or if you define it as an app that’s running in a different stage. The kinds of scenario I’ve seen referenced as a background process on macOS quite often is where an app window is still working on something in the background while you have another one open working on something else. This is definitely possible within the same stage with stage manager on iPadOS, and is even possible in separate stages in some cases for some different kinds of background process. So his claims here are false, especially when removing the assumption that in the same stage = in the foreground, when it can also be buried in the background. If someone had 4 apps open on their Mac, and one was a video app exporting a video while the other three were things like web browsers, note apps, etc. and the user was interacting with those and had those at the foreground of his window stack, I believe most would consider that buried video app that was exporting a video as a “background process” because the user wasn’t interacting with that app, but the other 3 in the foreground of his window pile. So in that sense, a background process is the idea that the app keeps working on something when you hop to a different app window to do something else. And this is definitely possible on iPadOS, both with apps in separate stages, and even more so with apps in the same stage.

At the end of the day, he made several false claims, and multiple people here have pointed them out. You’re free to agree with him all you want, but it doesn’t change that he claimed things, or at the very best interpretation implied things that are definitely not true…

• Haha
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024
A. Statements that read as truth claims rather than being qualified as opinions. Such as when he said “Files is a bad product and needs a rethink” as if that is a fact and not merely an opinion. If he wanted to state it as his opinion, he easily could have said “In my opinion, the Files app is a bad product and needs a rethink.” But he didn’t, he merely stated it as if this was some universal truth we should all know and accept… And to your earlier point that “this isn’t an essay”, it actually should be held to a higher standard than an essay, because this is written by a professional writer. Not a kid in school. When he makes claims like this, he should be using proper rules of writing such as qualifying when he’s talking about his personal experience, opinion, etc. it would be like if an author wrote “it is always day and never night” rather than saying “it is always day and never night for this part of the year from my perspective here near the equator”. The first sentence is a very different claim with very different consequences than the latter…

B. Yes, yes, and that’s all very good, but he still mixes truth claims into his “opinion piece”. Opinions are meaningless if not informed by facts, so just about any opinion piece will cite facts to makes sense of said opinion… And many of his claims are presented as truth claims, not qualified with an “in my experience” or “in my opinion”, which leads the reader to conclude this is universal truth that is being conveyed here.

C. It isn’t relevant, because his claim is that there have been no significant changes to the Files app since iOS 11, not that there have been no significant changes to performance or moving files in the Files app since iOS 11. Again, he makes a broad truth claim, and again, it bears out false. And it’s not about my opinion of what’s a major change or not, he himself said these were major improvements when they originally came out, I read his articles from back when things like external drive support were announced. So either he lied then when he said that they were major changes, or he’s lying now when he’s claiming there haven’t been any.

D. He claims there is no way to prevent a file a colleague sent him from opening in Delta. This claim isn’t true.

E. He claims iPadOS doesn’t allow apps to perform processes in the background. This is untrue. I didn’t pick his wording, he did. And with stage manager, the concept of what a “background process” is in that case can kind of be open to some degree of interpretation, since a window in a stage can be a “background window” buried under several other app windows you’re concurrently working on. It could be one of 8 processes you’re running simultaneously on your iPad and secondary monitor, which exceeds most normal workflows I could possibly think of. It depends on whether you define a background process as one working on another app in another app window in the background, or if you define it as an app that’s running in a different stage. The kinds of scenario I’ve seen referenced as a background process on macOS quite often is where an app window is still working on something in the background while you have another one open working on something else. This is definitely possible within the same stage with stage manager on iPadOS, and is even possible in separate stages in some cases for some different kinds of background process. So his claims here are false, especially when removing the assumption that in the same stage = in the foreground, when it can also be buried in the background. If someone had 4 apps open on their Mac, and one was a video app exporting a video while the other three were things like web browsers, note apps, etc. and the user was interacting with those and had those at the foreground of his window stack, I believe most would consider that buried video app that was exporting a video as a “background process” because the user wasn’t interacting with that app, but the other 3 in the foreground of his window pile. So in that sense, a background process is the idea that the app keeps working on something when you hop to a different app window to do something else. And this is definitely possible on iPadOS, both with apps in separate stages, and even more so with apps in the same stage.

At the end of the day, he made several false claims, and multiple people here have pointed them out. You’re free to agree with him all you want, but it doesn’t change that he claimed things, or at the very best interpretation implied things that are definitely not true…
It’s an opinion piece. You have and continue to commit a series of logical fallacies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.