Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stan.06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
Apple has advertised 4x better drop resistance, but it's not any better scratch wise. I've picked this phone for 8 hours, used it with Apple's Magsafe case, and out of nowhere, I saw this under my desk light.
I'm pretty sure I used it normally all the time I used it.

Attachments

• S76Nhn8.jpeg
    S76Nhn8.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 4,398
  • heUmqaS.jpeg
    heUmqaS.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 977
  • V6Rpomo.jpeg
    V6Rpomo.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 933

Stan.06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
That looks like pictures of the front screen. If you were using the MagSafe case to charge the phone, why is the front scratched?

edited to add: It looks like the front of the screen was slide across something very hard, or it was used in some kind of scratch test.
I haven't used the magsafe to charge my phone yet, but I was wondering if this is like the 11 pro, where the front screen scratches super easily, despite them announcing the x4 better drop resistance.
(By with the case, I mean I used the phone with the case, so it was never without any protection)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I haven't used the magsafe to charge my phone yet, but I was wondering if this is like the 11 pro, where the front screen scratches super easily, despite them announcing the x4 better drop resistance.
(By with the case, I mean I used the phone with the case, so it was never without any protection)
Thanks for clarifying. You should put a screen protector on the phone. Something you did today scratched the heck out of the screen.

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
The more hardened a screen is to avoid cracking (drop protection), the easier the screen will be to scratch. They go hand in hand. A more scratch resistant screen will be easier to crack when dropped. The anti smudge coating also can easily scratch showing little micro scratches under a bright light.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
I would think given the short time you’ve had it, you would know if you scratched it. I’d call Apple to see if it is a production defect. My condolences. What a buzz crush.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
The more hardened a screen is to avoid cracking (drop protection), the easier the screen will be to scratch. They go hand in hand. A more scratch resistant screen will be easier to crack when dropped. The anti smudge coating also can easily scratch showing little micro scratches under a bright light.
Close, what you mean is the less hardened a screen is to avoid cracking, the easier it is to scratch

Reactions: The1andOnly

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Ok... so, while everyone already thinks it is your fault, please be sure it is not a production problem.

It reminds me of the iPhone 6 my brother got some years ago. He didn’t even went out of the Apple Store at release day when he noticed there was a scratch on the screen. The problem was, you couldn’t even feel the scratch. We went back in and of course the employee blamed it to ‘cosmetic damage and wear and tear’.

My brother got angry and asked him if it is normal to scratch so quickly. He went to the manager. This manager put his microscope on the table and figured the scratch was actually under the backside of the display. There was no way it would be user inflicted damage. After 2.5 hours of back and forth, he got a new one.

What Apple and some uses fail to understand, is that employees in the manufacturing plant still work with these displays, and so they can get damaged. Production mistakes happen.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
What is normal? Putting it in a pocket with keys and sand?

Funny you mention that. I have put my XS in my pocket with keys dozens of times or gotten dirt in the pocket from hiking and what not and with the Spigen glass protector on the front, there is one teeny hairline scratch that goes up the front and that is it.

Reactions: jbachandouris

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Seems like stacking iPhones scratches the iPhone. I’ve seen a scratch from last year that is in a similar place to yours.

Reactions: George Dawes

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
MagSafe charging sounds great... expensive, slow, damages the phone/case, and you still have a wire attached to your phone, so it’s not wireless at all. Total disaster ?

Reactions: remington79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.