Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Scratch resistance and drop resistance are usually inversely correlated, right? That's what I've understood at least. Either you make the material hard or soft, which results in scratch resistance or drop resistance.

Stan.06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
That was very kind of them. While you were at the Apple Store, did you get them to install the Belgian screen protector for you with their machine?
Huh didn't know they have that, but I think I am going to get the Belkin that they sell on their store.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
This is why I will always put a screen protector on my phones. Doesn’t matter how shatter or scratch resistant they advertise the screens to be they will always get scratched.
I totally agree with you. I’m super careful with my phones and they are in top shape when I hand them down. However, I’ve put surface scratches on every device that I tried to use without a protector. So I always put on a protector now. It also feels great to swap out for a new one when the oleophobic coating wears off.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

Stan.06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
Ok... so, while everyone already thinks it is your fault, please be sure it is not a production problem.

It reminds me of the iPhone 6 my brother got some years ago. He didn’t even went out of the Apple Store at release day when he noticed there was a scratch on the screen. The problem was, you couldn’t even feel the scratch. We went back in and of course the employee blamed it to ‘cosmetic damage and wear and tear’.

My brother got angry and asked him if it is normal to scratch so quickly. He went to the manager. This manager put his microscope on the table and figured the scratch was actually under the backside of the display. There was no way it would be user inflicted damage. After 2.5 hours of back and forth, he got a new one.

What Apple and some uses fail to understand, is that employees in the manufacturing plant still work with these displays, and so they can get damaged. Production mistakes happen.
I went back to the Apple Store, and I got out with the same results! Thank you :).

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Can you see a rainbow on the scratch when the screen is turned on? If not, then it's only the coating that was scratched.

Onno

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2013
Eindhoven
I also have a lot of scratches on my 12 pro and haven’t even been using it for a day. It’s only been in my hands, on the table or on the couch. I never use screen protectors and my XS has no scratches at all. Very strange.

You can feel the scratches with your nails.

08A2EA66-7973-4852-9F85-2ABFDAA4A2EB.jpeg
82AAE3C1-D418-4F96-8915-8C19EF65E155.jpeg
73ECC7E7-2E5E-4554-A126-06B6E8E7667E.jpg

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Forgive my ignorance here (I am male I can’t help it :D) but, how do earrings scratch the front of the phone? Are ladies placing the earrings on the phone after taking them off?

Some people, not me, use their phones for talking, like making a phone call. When they put it up to their ear, scratch. Can you imagine what diamond ear rings do?

Stan.06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
I also have a lot of scratches on my 12 pro and haven’t even been using it for a day. It’s only been in my hands, on the table or on the couch. I never use screen protectors and my XS has no scratches at all. Very strange.

You can feel the scratches with your nails.

I also never had the need to use a screen protector, but after seeing how easily the screen scratches, I think I am definitively going to get one asap.
Another trick back to the app store for a belkin one I guess.

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
Mine has a deep scratch (you can feel it when sliding your finger over it) out of the box as well. Thank God I already know about my bad luck with Apple purchases and filmed the unboxing. Bought it from a retailer that is out of stock, will have to drive to an Apple store again in a few weeks to get it exchanged. 11 Pro had several dust specs in the cameras, XS was scratched out of the box as well ... *sigh*

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Forgive my ignorance here (I am male I can’t help it :D) but, how do earrings scratch the front of the phone? Are ladies placing the earrings on the phone after taking them off?

Earrings with gemstones that are harder than glass can make contact with the screen when making a call and it does not take a ton of force to scratch the screen. Additionally, if someone is wearing a ring on their finger with a gemstone that is harder than glass, if it brushes over a glass screen it can scratch it. When I worked at a place that sold phones, we would often have customers come in with screens that 'scratched on their own' and these customers would not realize that the gems in the rings they wear were actually the culprit (it's very easy when putting a hand into a pocket and the ring brushes up against the screen). Until we can create a screen that can withstand scratching from a diamond, screen protectors make sense IMHO.

Reactions: dk001 and JuneJune

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Rule of thumb: Check your screen immediately up arrival. Snap a picture. They when you scratch it you will know who's to blame.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Hardness tends to be inverse to tensile strength. I expected lower scratch resistance when they announced greater drop protection.

I’ve only ever broken a phone screen once. Someone accidentally knocked it out of my hands and it fell face down on a bolt. Any glass would have shattered. Normal use only gives me hairline scratches that are invisible during use. I’d say the traditional formula is the right compromise.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
They did scratch tests so unles y’all have items with hardness of 7. I don’t get how this is happening. I had mine a year and it’s good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.