Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Jerry Rig tested new Iphones and found out that scratches start from 7 Mohs scale, which means that they are pretty hard to scratch.

So if you don't hit the screen with your shiny diamond ring or drill bit at work - then you are safe to go.
mohs-hardness-scale_2.jpg

Next Stop

Suspended
Nov 28, 2020
Jerry Rig tested new Iphones and found out that scratches start from 7 Mohs scale, which means that they are pretty hard to scratch.

So if you don't hit the screen with your shiny diamond ring or drill bit at work - then you are safe to go.
It's level 6, just as any other smartphone glass out there.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Put an ESR full screen protector on the second I opened it up. Before I even turned it on for the 1st time. I don’t even know why they made the ones with the notches.
I couldn’t get hold of a full screen one at launch but like you my Spigen one went on before I’d even turned the phone on. I didn’t like the way dust built up on the notched but and the full screen version looks so much better.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

My experience contradicts that I have to say. The most my screen came into contact with was perhaps a Nylon zip on my jacket pocket. Other than that it’s been very well looked after and even my kids haven’t gotten hold of it yet. A few people have posted light scratches on their screens with no knowledge of how it happened so I don’t doubt the screens are relatively soft in terms of surface hardness.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Just day to day use, accidents happen. My phone is exposed to anything from an office desk, harsh product testing environments, used in a production environment taking pictures of 400T hydraulic presses, to two young children who enjoy looking at things on my phone. It gets dropped here and there.

I bought the ESR full screen protector to replace the Spigen notched protector I installed on my iPhone at launch. I took the Spigen off and began cleaning the screen and noticed a scratch across the notch which ironically is the only part of the screen that has been exposed. The phone has never been in pockets with anything else and there are no scratches at all on the Spigen I took off.

My experience contradicts that I have to say. The most my screen came into contact with was perhaps a Nylon zip on my jacket pocket. Other than that it’s been very well looked after and even my kids haven’t gotten hold of it yet. A few people have posted light scratches on their screens with no knowledge of how it happened so I don’t doubt the screens are relatively soft in terms of surface hardness.

No offense, but your first statement and your next two seem quite contradictory. First you outline why you use a case/screen protector because you work in harsh environments, and the phone gets dropped.

In the next two statements you said that the phone has been babied and not in contact with anything harsh. I'd suspect that something industrial may be getting into your pockets causing the damage you are seeing, even if you aren't conscious of how it could be getting scratched. Perhaps some kind of dust or debris from your product testing environments? Just guessing. Or perhaps the scratches you are seeing in your notch area are in the screen coating material (not the glass) as there is no way that a perfectly clean nylon zip could scratch a glass screen.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I started using screen protectors around the time of the iPhone 8 because I got a big scratch (my first ever despite owning every single iPhone up to that point) within a week of picking it up.
These screens are undeniably easier to scratch than they used to be.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No offense, but your first statement and your next two seem quite contradictory. First you outline why you use a case/screen protector because you work in harsh environments, and the phone gets dropped.

In the next two statements you said that the phone has been babied and not in contact with anything harsh. I'd suspect that something industrial may be getting into your pockets causing the damage you are seeing, even if you aren't conscious of how it could be getting scratched. Perhaps some kind of dust or debris from your product testing environments? Just guessing. Or perhaps the scratches you are seeing in your notch area are in the screen coating material (not the glass) as there is no way that a perfectly clean nylon zip could scratch a glass screen.
No offence taken at all as you were not to know the full background from some very brief posts and no they are not contradictory whatsoever, just a misunderstanding. I never 'baby' my iPhones, they are just used normally. I haven't owned the 12 very long and havne't used them in test environments since I have owned it. Due to COVID that sort of operation is on hold as its impossible to do without getting close to other people in the lab.

My phone has had a screen protector on since launch and the worst it has encountered is a pocket and the odd drop on a floor while in its protective case. The only exposed area was the notch and this has a 6-8mm long light scratch whereas the screen protector was completely clear. Its possible there was dust of something in my pocket as scratches don't appear out of thin air. Whether its the coating that is scratched is rather irrelevant to me as the coating is part of the screen anyway and the part that the user sees and touches.

I would say if screens are scratched with very little effort like this, then a screen protector is a very wise investment. Would you dispute that piece of advice?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Whether its the coating that is scratched is rather irrelevant to me as the coating is part of the screen anyway and the part that the user sees and touches.

I would say if screens are scratched with very little effort like this, then a screen protector is a very wise investment. Would you dispute that piece of advice?
I think is people are worried or care about scratches then absolutely a screen protector is a good idea. I applied one for the first time this year (from ESR) and it was super easy to do. My wife wanted one and I ended up with a three-pack so thought why not?

As for if it is the coating or the screen, from an aesthetic standpoint of course there is no difference, a visible scratch is a visible scratch to those bothered by it. That said... it may make a difference in how one goes about remedying the situation. I wonder if there is some sort of solution or product that could be applied to repair or buff out such scratches if they are in the coating.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I never use screen protectors, but I make sure whatever pocket I put it in is empty. Never had a scratch in 11 years
I think if you tried some of the full screen tempered glass protectors we have now, you’d be pleasantly surprised how invisible they are. For the sake of £5 you eradicate the risk even if you’ve been lucky up until now.

Reactions: Banich2

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Put a glass screen protector on it. Avoid the aggravation of scratching your iPhone and having to live with it
The new Corning Ceramic glass is easily scratchable

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I couldn’t get hold of a full screen one at launch but like you my Spigen one went on before I’d even turned the phone on. I didn’t like the way dust built up on the notched but and the full screen version looks so much better.
When I got my 12PM I got the spigen screen protector with the notch and hated it. So glad they came out with the full screen version.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Banich2

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, California
I think if you tried some of the full screen tempered glass protectors we have now, you’d be pleasantly surprised how invisible they are. For the sake of £5 you eradicate the risk even if you’ve been lucky up until now.
Those seem to be more expensive than a new screen, though. A new screen is $29, but the screen protectors at apple.com are $39 and up

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Those seem to be more expensive than a new screen, though. A new screen is $29, but the screen protectors at apple.com are $39 and up
I don’t know anybody in their right mind who pays Apple £50 to put a £5 screen protector on for them. You can buy Spigen and ESR protectors for under £10. Also, screens certainly aren’t that cheap where I live. You’re looking at the best part of £300 for a new screen in the UK.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s that cheap if you purchase an expensive Apple insurance policy for £199 first. Far more than expensive than a case and screen protector as standalone products. I’d never get AppleCare+ personally as I think it’s a rip off.

It also looks like you pay a lot more for screen protectors in America too judging by those prices you’ve quoted.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
It also looks like you pay a lot more for screen protectors in America too judging by those prices you’ve quoted.
There are inexpensive screen protectors in America.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.