Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Sucks it’s day one. iPhones are super expensive disposable (recyclable) consumables. Sometimes we forget this. The glass back cost more to replace than the front. I wish they spend a cycle not adding incremental changes and redesign them for a bit more durability.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

RayLancer

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Seems like stacking iPhones scratches the iPhone. I’ve seen a scratch from last year that is in a similar place to yours.

Yeah considering the front is glass and the stuff of the back of the phone has "sapphire" glass that's a bit harder on the Mohs scale. Or since they're both glass and thus the same hardness they will scratch.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Yeah considering the front is glass and the stuff of the back of the phone has "sapphire" glass that's a bit harder on the Mohs scale. Or since they're both glass and thus the same hardness they will scratch.
The lens do stick out a bit, so it’s likely possoble

Natzoo

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
TLDR ceramic shield is just another marketing tactic like everything else. The Xs series and above scratch really easy for some reason, it is wise to get a screen protector, and from the drop test videos, it seems like it bends easier than usual.

Natzoo

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Wait. People thought the glass being 4x more drop resistant meant the screens couldn’t be scratched? Lol.
It is not even that, the phones may survive a drop but the display is so thin that it will break on the inside (digitizer getting messed up).

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Why does this matter? I get if it was cracked, but scratches are not visible when the screen is on.
That’s not true. Some scratches distorts the displays and can show rainbows in the groove

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Dude its a phone get over it. Is your car and house scratch free
If I bought. brand new phone and it was scratch, I would lose my mind. There could be an issue with the new coating but if history proves right. Every time apple releases a product there is always someone who has issues with the finish that ends up being nothing. It always happens on this site. The aluminum on the watch scratched easy, over a year later mine is perfectly new. I would be more worried about the MagSafe indenting a circle on the back of my new phone. No way would I use that thing.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
mobilereviewseh (the monty channel) seemed impressed with the scratch resistance - v.high 7/8 on the mohs scale.

Would stacking phones expose the sapphire glass of the cameras to the front of the screen below (shouldn’t I guess)?

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
mobilereviewseh (the monty channel) seemed impressed with the scratch resistance - v.high 7/8 on the mohs scale.

Would stacking phones expose the sapphire glass of the cameras to the front of the screen below (shouldn’t I guess)?
I would be shocked if jerryrigeverything came up with this result.

Reactions: George Dawes

PeterG727

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2020
I have a bad feeling that this might happen as my iphone 11 pro has tons of scratches. I understand the need for drop resistance, but scratch resistance should also be given equal priority. I guess gorilla glass victus is the best combination for scratch/drop resistance than this custom ceramic shield solution.

Reactions: Andrey Roland

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
If I bought. brand new phone and it was scratch, I would lose my mind. There could be an issue with the new coating but if history proves right. Every time apple releases a product there is always someone who has issues with the finish that ends up being nothing. It always happens on this site. The aluminum on the watch scratched easy, over a year later mine is perfectly new. I would be more worried about the MagSafe indenting a circle on the back of my new phone. No way would I use that thing.
I hate to break it to you my friend. But I think you lost your mind a long time ago

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I don’t understand the need to go hunting these minute scratches under bright lights ?

the pic from the OP looks like the scratches on my wife’s phone from her earrings.

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
These threads pop up every year.
The camera back “sapphire crystal” is slightly harder than the front/back regular glass so is able to scratch another phone if you stack them together.

Reactions: Toonartist

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
If you can, try and return to Apple. Yes it’s an inconvenience and might delay having a new phone, but if the scratches will bother you I’d value peace of mind over anything else. Perhaps use another reason for the exchange besides the scratch. They may not even notice it.

All that said, then apply a screen protector. The oloephobic layer on the screen, meant to reduce fingerprints, will easily acquire surface scratches. While we often don’t recall doing anything major or intentional to cause a scratch, it doesn’t take much for a surface scratch.

StageMomma

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2019
South Carolina
I was concerned about this very thing. My last iPhones had scratches on the display within days (likely from my earrings) and I knew I wanted this one to continue to look good. I’d orders a case and screen protector from apple that was supposed to arrive on Wednesday. Turns out my shipment got lost. When I picked up my phone at Verizon today I paid for one of their over priced bundles to get a case and screen protector. I did not walk out of that store without having the screen protector applied and case on.
most just something I’ve learned I need to be aware of. I never used to use screen protectors but the last few iPhones have proved to that it is necessary for me.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I was concerned about this very thing. My last iPhones had scratches on the display within days (likely from my earrings) and I knew I wanted this one to continue to look good. I’d orders a case and screen protector from apple that was supposed to arrive on Wednesday. Turns out my shipment got lost. When I picked up my phone at Verizon today I paid for one of their over priced bundles to get a case and screen protector. I did not walk out of that store without having the screen protector applied and case on.
most just something I’ve learned I need to be aware of. I never used to use screen protectors but the last few iPhones have proved to that it is necessary for me.
Forgive my ignorance here (I am male I can’t help it :D) but, how do earrings scratch the front of the phone? Are ladies placing the earrings on the phone after taking them off?

• Haha
Reactions: theliellama
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.