Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
MagSafe charging sounds great... expensive, slow, damages the phone/case, and you still have a wire attached to your phone, so it’s not wireless at all. Total disaster ?
Oh yeah total disaster. MagSafe is Qi charging with a magnet to align it. Seems all Apple had to do was give it a name to make the trolls turn against Qi charging.

Reactions: ct2k7

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Interesting scratch test here:
This video pretty much invalidates the other BS that gets posted here. Unless you literally rub it with 80 grit sandpaper, you're not going to scratch it.

So the things people post are either factory defects or significantly understated in terms of what happened.

vroom2

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2019
Every year Apple claims that the current iPhone has the strongest glass ever and every year we get this thread. I believe that people become more careless when they hear that claim. It's still glass and it WILL scratch when not taken care of properly. Apple doesn't claim that it's scratch proof, and they never have. It's less prone to shattering, NOT scratches. Common sense and a good screen protector is all it takes to keep our little iPhone babies pristine!
They actually did say it was less prone to scratches...

“Dual ion-exchange
process
Tough is great, but we also wanted to make it scratch-resistant. So, using our dual ion-exchange process we use on the back glass, we protect against nicks, scratches, and everyday wear and tear.”

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I just don’t get how these people manage to scratch their phones already. Had pretty much all the iPhone models except for few and NEVER scratched any of them. Just use common sense.
YouTubers have a lot to answer for - you see so many of them place their phones face down on hard surfaces during reviews ?

MagSafe charging sounds great... expensive, slow, damages the phone/case, and you still have a wire attached to your phone, so it’s not wireless at all. Total disaster ?
Do you consider cordless kettles a disaster? There’s still a cable attached to the base, but the actual kettle’s cordless, which makes things 10x more convenient.

I’m not saying MagSafe is the king of the world, but just that wireless charging in general has a place in our tech world & will eventually dominate it. MagSafe is only the first iteration by Apple. Expect it to get better by all competitors in this game.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’m debating getting Apple care, no screen protector, thin case, and I’ll get it fixed before the Apple care warranty ends.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I’m debating getting Apple care, no screen protector, thin case, and I’ll get it fixed before the Apple care warranty ends.
You have 60 days to get AppleCare right? Is it possible, if you get a scratch within the first 60 days, to buy AppleCare the same week, wait a bit, and then utiilize AppleCare for a screen repair?

Not saying that's a good behavior. Just wondering if it's possible.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Unless you put a screen protector on your phone the minute you get it out of the box, you'll pick up some scratches on the oleophobic coating or the screen itself over time. Chances are you won't even know how they've happened, but chances are also that you won't notice them in normal use. When the screen isn't lit-up, you'll definitely notice them, but majority are just wear and tear - they won't affect your use of the phone or the resale value down the line.

As others have said, this sort of thread gets posted every single year. I'm sure there's some production issues, so just be sure to check your phone the minute you receive/buy it and if there's any marks, don't even turn it on, just contact Apple there and then.

Otherwise, just get on with using and enjoying your phone. In my experience they're pretty damn resilient so long as you accept you're going to pick up the odd mark here and there.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
Issue seems to be when people have put 2 together screen to screen, maybe something to do with the ceramic shield?

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
You have 60 days to get AppleCare right? Is it possible, if you get a scratch within the first 60 days, to buy AppleCare the same week, wait a bit, and then utiilize AppleCare for a screen repair?

Not saying that's a good behavior. Just wondering if it's possible.
Could you do it? Yes. Is it technically insurance fraud? Also yes.

Though I am sure it happens every year.

Reactions: Never mind

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Chiming in. Put a screen protector on out of the box. Just removed it to switch protectors and there are hairline scratches all over. So the screen protector scratched my screen. Just for the heck of it I grabbed my gfs 12 pro with no protector and hers is filled with scratches.

Screen scratches easily. As expected.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
My 12 Pro has a pretty nasty scratch in the screen already. Not too stressed about it because it’s a phone and I can’t see it with the screen on. It’s surprisingly deep though, I have actually never had a scratch this deep on any iPhone before

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I hate screen protectors I've never used one on my iPhones, but all was fine with iPhone (3/3G)4/4S/5/5S. This mess came up after Apple has used the curved screens after iPhone 6.

I was waiting for iPhone 12 only to (finally) don't have "hairline scratches" on the new screen because I though "it's flat, so more resistance, like the iPad from model 1"... but looks like no changes from the iPhone 10/11... damn!

It's a shame that only put your phone in the pocket can produce this hairline scratches on it, it wasn't there with iPhone 4 and 5, so I was wondering why the hell Apple is using this soft displays only to save it from big falls, but I think is bettere to use a rear cover to protect it from the falls and use a harder screen on front, so it will not have tons of hairlne scratches on the front that is where you look all the time.

...and all the iPads still have a strong display like the iPhone 4/5! This thing is driving me crazy!

Absolutely. Ceramic Shield would be far more useful on the back of the phone, which cannot be repaired. The front should be harder glass that is less likely to scratch. I’d FAR rather take the chance of a broken front display that’s very hard to scratch.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Apple charge £30 for that service and most tempered glass protectors now come with an easy to apply template. The Spigen one was foolproof and it’s £10 for a double pack.
I’ve always found the templates less helpful than just eyeballing it

maybe that’s the result of applying so many for myself friends and family over the years but

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.