Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve always found the templates less helpful than just eyeballing it

maybe that’s the result of applying so many for myself friends and family over the years but

This is the first one I’ve put on with a template and it was much easier for me. Once I was sure the dust was off the screen it’s just a case of plonk it on the phone and leave it for 30 seconds. Much quicker than gripping the edges and lining up by eye for me. Whatever is easier for the individual though

Reactions: Never mind

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
After one week with iPhone 12 Pro without screen protector I have no scratches or hair line scratches.

I don't know if the screen is harder, maybe it will take some time in order to show them.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
After one week with iPhone 12 Pro without screen protector I have no scratches or hair line scratches.

I don't know if the screen is harder, maybe it will take some time in order to show them.
The screens are exactly the same and my guess is you’ve been lucky or extremely careful. I know a few reviewers now have mentioned they’ve noticed scratches which they have no idea how they’ve got there. I don’t see the point in risking it as once they are there, you can’t get rid of them without replacing the screen.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
The screens are exactly the same and my guess is you’ve been lucky or extremely careful. I know a few reviewers now have mentioned they’ve noticed scratches which they have no idea how they’ve got there. I don’t see the point in risking it as once they are there, you can’t get rid of them without replacing the screen.
I’ve had my iPhone 12 pro for two weeks now. no screen protector or case. I’ve been reasonably careful and used common sense. It’s all where you set it down(not on concrete or sandpaper) and which pocket you place it in(hint: in the empty one)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve had my iPhone 12 pro for two weeks now. no screen protector or case. I’ve been reasonably careful and used common sense. It’s all where you set it down(not on concrete or sandpaper) and which pocket you place it in(hint: in the empty one)
I have the luxury with a case and protector that I don’t need to worry too much. I’m doing a garage conversion at the moment so my phone is often on top of tool boxes or on dusty surfaces. I’m not one for babying my phone, just want to enjoy using it for what I need it for.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I got a full screen one with black border and came with templet, only way I buy them. Wouldn’t know it has one on.

Reactions: blairh

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
What brand was that mate? The Spigen has the cut out for the notch but at some point I might change it for a decent full screen version.
Got it here in Australia probably wouldn’t be worth it for you, Spigen have the similar one with tray too.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Got it here in Australia probably wouldn’t be worth it for you, Spigen have the similar one with tray too.

Thanks i’ll try and get one of those

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Chiming in. Put a screen protector on out of the box. Just removed it to switch protectors and there are hairline scratches all over. So the screen protector scratched my screen. Just for the heck of it I grabbed my gfs 12 pro with no protector and hers is filled with scratches.

Screen scratches easily. As expected.

How is it possible that the screen protector scratched the screen... it's just a layer of glue that doesn't move in contact with the screen (hence how could it create a scratch??)

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
From different tests is not the same, it's a bit stronger, just a bit but should be (well I hope).

Anyway I used it as my previous XS, that it was full of hair scratches but after 2 years. I'll see, I prefer to use it and have some tiny scratches than put a glass on it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
From different tests is not the same, it's a bit stronger, just a bit but should be (well I hope).

Anyway I used it as my previous XS, that it was full of hair scratches but after 2 years. I'll see, I prefer to use it and have some tiny scratches than put a glass on it.
I hadn’t realised they were different. I think the panels and ceramic shield was the same specification across the models this year. I know the Pro has a software tweak for brightness but as far as I thought that was it.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I hadn’t realised they were different. I think the panels and ceramic shield was the same specification across the models this year. I know the Pro has a software tweak for brightness but as far as I thought that was it.

The 12/12 pro are the same except the pro has more nits. 800 v 625.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
People are really not tired of creating the same thread every year, expecting a glass to be more scratch-resistant than last year's glass...

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

Same here. I've had my 12 since launch and no scratches on the front screen that I can see. No screen protector on it either, but I do have AC+.

Stan.06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
People are really not tired of creating the same thread every year, expecting a glass to be more scratch-resistant than last year's glass...
I didn't know that this was a recurring thread but after seeing how much people had scratches this year, I definitely think that the screen has gone softer. I saw a few YouTube reviewers that also had this issue for the first time. (like MKBHD...)
I was just expecting it not to scratch on the first day that I received the phone, I had an Iphone 7+ for 4 years and never had any visible scratches.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
where is your proof?
Alright here’s the deal. OP posted when his account was a couple days old. Anyone Can open as many accounts as they want to post on macrumors. And much like YouTube comments a lot of them are frivolous or suspect depending on the posters agenda. A lot take advantage to just troll the forums Knowing they can open new anonymous accounts and basically antagonize people that enjoy Apple products and make a case for androids. I don’t need proof if the complaint doesn’t have proof. This years displays are no more Scratch prone than last years, and if anything they’re less susceptible. Even jerryrigeverything said the scratch at a level 6 is “more faint”. The Samsung comment was more me thinking he’s a fan of android or Samsung and I wouldn’t doubt if he shilled for Them.

p.s. Nobody has asked me to prove anything so far except you and guess what? Your account is less than a week old as well?

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Ok y’all. This is getting ridiculous.

I’ve had my 12 Pro for just under two weeks now and nearly every single day, there is a new scratch on the screen. I really feel like I might have a particularly defective screen, honestly.

I’ve had the iPhone 1, 3G, 4, 5, 6+, 7+, X, XS, and 11 Pro. I have never, ever experienced anything like this.

I haven’t set the phone face down on anything. I even rinsed the inside of my phone pocket on my work pants to make sure I didn’t get some weird grit in there. Still my phone continues to surprise me with a new scratch every other day.

I also have a defect in my oleophobic coating where a perfect circle in the lower left of the screen gets extra fingerprinted. However, I’m worried with how abused my phone already looks (despite not being abused) the warranty on that is moot.

The back of my phone is still flawless.

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Zero scratches on my 12 Pro owned since launch day. Normal use. Haven't babied it - just using like normal in my pocket or bag

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Ok y’all. This is getting ridiculous.

I’ve had my 12 Pro for just under two weeks now and nearly every single day, there is a new scratch on the screen. I really feel like I might have a particularly defective screen, honestly.

I’ve had the iPhone 1, 3G, 4, 5, 6+, 7+, X, XS, and 11 Pro. I have never, ever experienced anything like this.

I haven’t set the phone face down on anything. I even rinsed the inside of my phone pocket on my work pants to make sure I didn’t get some weird grit in there. Still my phone continues to surprise me with a new scratch every other day.

I also have a defect in my oleophobic coating where a perfect circle in the lower left of the screen gets extra fingerprinted. However, I’m worried with how abused my phone already looks (despite not being abused) the warranty on that is moot.

The back of my phone is still flawless.
Cosmetics is not a factory defect. Sounds like you should’ve put a screen protector on day one. What kind of work do you do

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I will never use an iPhone without a SP ever again.

I have two micro scratches on my 8 Plus and they are small but I notice them daily. Never again. I will always be using a solid SP from day one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.