Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stan.06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
There lies the issue for me. I feel like people spend so much money on these protection accessories, and there are a LOT of crappy products out there. There are also some heavily overpriced items. It’s just a ton to sort through.

I have tried cheap ones from Amazon, and they always annoy me. I also can’t stand having a ring of dust around my screen constantly from the protector.

I’m slightly considering trying out the Belkin UltraGlass at Apple, but I’ve read that they don’t cover enough of the screen edges and cause light issues. They’re also so expensive.
The belkin ultraglass is fine. I got one for my phone and I don't think it's worth the price. I've heard the spigen* (idk how to write it's name) screen protector on amazon is pretty good.
The Belkin screen protector is definitively smaller than other screen protectors, covering only the visible screen part, and leaving the camera/the bezels unprotected. There is a slight amount of edge bleed when you look at your phone at an angle, on a white background, the edge facing you appears a bit pink/green.
The ring of dust around the screen protector is still here aswell, I don't think that's something going away.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Well no matter how tough they say the glass is, you should always put a screen protector on the new iPhone right away like I do...Then we won’t be having issues like this. There is full screen glass available on Amazon that covers the entire screen and you barely notice it’s there. But I know there are purists out there that refuses to use a case or screen protector because they have AppleCare, but why go through the hassle of repair just for a scratch that could have been avoided.

Reactions: blairh and Natzoo

Natzoo

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Well no matter how tough they say the glass is, you should always put a screen protector on the new iPhone right away like I do...Then we won’t be having issues like this. There is full screen glass available on Amazon that covers the entire screen and you barely notice it’s there. But I know there are purists out there that refuses to use a case or screen protector because they have AppleCare, but why go through the hassle of repair just for a scratch that could have been avoided.
Plus if you have any minor cosmetic damage elsewhere, they just deny the whole repair.

I tried to use my first apple care+ claim and they denied it because the space gray coating was wearing off. Then apple care+ expired and thankfully apple support replaced my device for free and purchased apple care+ on the new device.

heywally

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2013
Got my Spigen glass screen protectors yesterday. Phone today. Took it out of the box. Cleaned the screen with the wipes and on goes the protector. This is how I always do it.
Soon to be an iPhone newb but read about the scratch issues with the 11 (don't want to open that debate here). Have never had to use a screen protector with any of my droid phones. Does your screen protector come off easily when you go to resell it (or do you need to remove it) and, does having it on effect the resale value?

Last edited:

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
The good old scratched screen thread that leads to naked vs screen protector vs wrapped up tight debates.

I’m a screen protector because any scratches on my screen will bother me continuously. Once seen they cannot be unseen. I have screen protectors here waiting for my Pro Max to arrive. Unbox iPhone, do a QC inspection, apply screen protector. This is the way.

Reactions: ian87w

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
The first thing I do once I open the box and even before I power the phone off, I take the lens tape off and apply a screen protector. I never keep ANY of my phones without one, doesn’t matter what the manufacturer advertises the screen to be - even if they 100% guaranteed no scratches I will STILL put a screen protector on.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Well no matter how tough they say the glass is, you should always put a screen protector on the new iPhone right away like I do...
No, you shouldn’t. They aren’t necessary. People use iPhones without them with no problem and no scratches. No one should use a screen protector.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
No, you shouldn’t. They aren’t necessary. People use iPhones without them with no problem and no scratches. No one should use a screen protector.
Thats such a stupid comment. That’s your opinion! I always use one and will always use one. Not using one is like not using gloves to protect your hands and skin during hard work. Not using a screen protector or case just means you don’t care about your investment. If you drop something heavy on your phone, the glass protector will save the iPhone glass. Yeah AppleCare is used for that also, but during this stupid pandemic, you’ll be lucky if you can get to an Apple store to have it replace.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Thats such a stupid comment. That’s your opinion! I always use one and will always use one. Not using one is like not using gloves to protect your hands and skin during hard work. Not using a screen protector or case just means you don’t care about your investment. If you drop something heavy on your phone, the glass protector will save the iPhone glass. Yeah AppleCare is used for that also, but during this stupid pandemic, you’ll be lucky if you can get to an Apple store to have it replace.
TBH, your comment is stupider. Lol. Bc ppl dont use a screen protector they dont care about what they purchased? Come on. You seriously cannot believe that.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
About to trade in my XS Max. My screen protector broke last week and I left it naked for the first time. There’s a nick in the top left corner. Inevitable. Put a screen protector if you can’t handle imperfections.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
About to trade in my XS Max. My screen protector broke last week and I left it naked for the first time. There’s a nick in the top left corner. Inevitable. Put a screen protector if you can’t handle imperfections.
Agreed. I took mine off my 12 pro for 24 hours while waiting for my replacement and the thing had scratches all over. Mostly under sunlight or light bulbs. Wearing basketball shorts only with nothing else in my pocket. Scratches are inevitable.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
TBH, your comment is stupider. Lol. Bc ppl dont use a screen protector they dont care about what they purchased? Come on. You seriously cannot believe that.
buying a $12-$1400 iPhone is An investment and not protecting it is just poor judgment on your part. No case, no glass, I see people dropping their phones all the time. It will not last long when dropped a few times. And the bad thing is, I see many people using an iPhone or Samsung with a busted screen because they didn’t have a screen protector And can’t afford to get it fixed.

Well the iPhone screen is going to scratch, we’ve seen it already on the new iPhone 12 pro. One post shows that they stacked two iPhone 12’s and the screen scratched on one of them. if you don’t want a screen protector, then don’t. There are many of us, like myself that prefers a top glass protector. You will get a crack or a scratch and regret your decision of not applying a glass protector, they are barely noticeable.. To each their own. I like my iPhone looking new. I have an 11 pro Max that still looks as new as the day I bought it! Why? Because I protected my investment many can’t say that. I was installing a curtain rod in one of my bedrooms and my wife threw the extra ext piece on the bed. Well my iPhone was face up on the bed, the rod hit the edge and cracked the proctor, it saved my iPhone!! So there is your proof that screen protectors work! This was an edge to edge full coverage glass. I replaced it, now it’s new again. You anti-glass and anti-case users are in The minority

Last edited:

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
I can’t believe how easy it is scratch the glass on on 12 pro. Checked it this weekend. Just using my finger nail I was able to scratch the screen. Tried the same with my Xspro and no scratches at all

Reactions: Born Again

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Honestly, I don’t know why you guys are so keen to try and convince others that one method is correct whereas someone else’s isn’t?

Look, I use a screen protector and a case because I know I will scratch my phone. I drop it a lot and at work and home it’s often put down on surfaces that aren’t complimentary to the rather weak construction that modern smartphones are designed with. It doesn’t bother me whether someone else uses a screen protector or not and without being too harsh, I don’t care if they scratch their phone.

There is not right answer to this. You treat your phone, protect it in whatever way you choose. It’s yours, you’ve paid good money for it and it’s condition is up to you. That is it....

Natzoo

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
I can’t believe how easy it is scratch the glass on on 12 pro. Checked it this weekend. Just using my finger nail I was able to scratch the screen. Tried the same with my Xspro and no scratches at all
I’ve noticed that too, the screen on newer phones get stronger overall but scratches easier then ever. My Xs max is pretty decent but I am considering a screen protector, since I don’t want to keep renewing applecare+. I honestly think having a stronger glass is bad, because more shock (energy) will break the display internally.

Reactions: gelie

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
At this point in time, it is impossible to make glass that gets stronger against shattering while also getting better at preventing scratches. It can only be one or the other and Apple made a screen that is better against shattering. They even alerted to this fact during the keynote. People shouldn’t be surprised or mad that their screens are scratching if they aren’t going to protect them with a protector.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Got screen protectors for my 12 Max in the mail today. Those little scratches would trigger my OCD in the worst way.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The more hardened a screen is to avoid cracking (drop protection), the easier the screen will be to scratch. They go hand in hand. A more scratch resistant screen will be easier to crack when dropped. The anti smudge coating also can easily scratch showing little micro scratches under a bright light.
Just to add to that, but sapphire, which is very hard to scratch, can shatter fairly easily. That’s why Casio didn’t use it on their G-Shocks, no matter how much you paid, until fairly recently. Now they use them on their more “fashionable” models. (e.g. their Titanium Square). People thought it was ridiculously cheap of Casio that they never used sapphire, but it was actually Casio choosing the right material for the job. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.