Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Cosmetics is not a factory defect. Sounds like you should’ve put a screen protector on day one. What kind of work do you do
Desk job.

I’m not like a lot of the people on this forum. I don’t use cases and I accept wear and tear on my phone. My 11 Pro had some light scratches that could be seen with the screen off, but my specific 12 Pro is scratching deeply at an unreasonable rate.

Again, the back seems to be flawless despite me placing it on whatever surface is nearby. I haven’t set it on the screen once but the screen is getting absolutely torn up.

Reactions: klasma

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Alright here’s the deal. OP posted when his account was a couple days old. Anyone Can open as many accounts as they want to post on macrumors. And much like YouTube comments a lot of them are frivolous or suspect depending on the posters agenda. A lot take advantage to just troll the forums Knowing they can open new anonymous accounts and basically antagonize people that enjoy Apple products and make a case for androids. I don’t need proof if the complaint doesn’t have proof. This years displays are no more Scratch prone than last years, and if anything they’re less susceptible. Even jerryrigeverything said the scratch at a level 6 is “more faint”. The Samsung comment was more me thinking he’s a fan of android or Samsung and I wouldn’t doubt if he shilled for Them.

p.s. Nobody has asked me to prove anything so far except you and guess what? Your account is less than a week old as well?

I didn’t get the impression the OP was here to troll or promote Samsung to be honest. They posted their own images to back up their complaint too.

MKBHD and Zollotech have both mentioned that their iPhone 12’s have scratched without them realising how it was done. I’ve always felt Apples screens are far to weak in terms of surface hardness as I’ve seen work colleagues with iPhone without screen protectors that are badly scratched up. I don’t see the point in risking it when you don’t have to.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Desk job.

I’m not like a lot of the people on this forum. I don’t use cases and I accept wear and tear on my phone. My 11 Pro had some light scratches that could be seen with the screen off, but my specific 12 Pro is scratching deeply at an unreasonable rate.

Again, the back seems to be flawless despite me placing it on whatever surface is nearby. I haven’t set it on the screen once but the screen is getting absolutely torn up.
If you had to guess how you got those deep scratches you can’t rack your brain for any possibilities? We know it wasn’t Supernatural. You should go through your daily routine and do exactly what you do and place your phone how you always do and then check your pockets and see what you normally have it placed with. These screens have been tested by many youtubers and again they aren’t any more scratch prone than the previous year. Do your detective work and report back

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I didn’t get the impression the OP was here to troll or promote Samsung to be honest. They posted their own images to back up their complaint too.

MKBHD and Zollotech have both mentioned that their iPhone 12’s have scratched without them realising how it was done. I’ve always felt Apples screens are far to weak in terms of surface hardness as I’ve seen work colleagues with iPhone without screen protectors that are badly scratched up. I don’t see the point in risking it when you don’t have to.
I’ve had my 12 pro for two weeks without a case or screen protector. Screen and body are pristine

Here are some pics after two weeks. For whatever it’s worth. It’s really difficult to capture a pristine condition unless I guess I was outside in the sun?

Attachments

• DD47E786-408F-4662-B7E5-A3FC2F78B2DD.jpeg
    DD47E786-408F-4662-B7E5-A3FC2F78B2DD.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 116E79FD-D1A3-44CF-8037-C5E1A54C4867.jpeg
    116E79FD-D1A3-44CF-8037-C5E1A54C4867.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 0ADEFB04-D5B8-4996-BB5F-F840ED337A4F.jpeg
    0ADEFB04-D5B8-4996-BB5F-F840ED337A4F.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 140
  • CAE74D57-7AFF-4FD8-9BE7-0FDEA82B51D1.jpeg
    CAE74D57-7AFF-4FD8-9BE7-0FDEA82B51D1.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 145
  • D7AC94CC-CBFF-4B56-AD56-D8B8D9E44922.jpeg
    D7AC94CC-CBFF-4B56-AD56-D8B8D9E44922.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 160

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve had my 12 pro for two weeks without a case or screen protector. Screen and body are pristine

Here are some pics after two weeks. For whatever it’s worth. It’s really difficult to capture a pristine condition unless I guess I was outside in the sun?
I don’t disbelieve that you haven’t scratched your phone in 2 weeks of use. Why can’t you accept it is possible to accidentally scratch it though without realising? Putting it down screen first on a desk or brushing that rivet on a jeans pocket are acceptable everyday actions and I’m not convinced iPhone screens have ever been durable enough long term.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I don’t disbelieve that you haven’t scratched your phone in 2 weeks of use. Why can’t you accept it is possible to accidentally scratch it though without realising? Putting it down screen first on a desk or brushing that rivet on a jeans pocket are acceptable everyday actions and I’m not convinced iPhone screens have ever been durable enough long term.
Because I sold my 11 pro max after one year of use without a screen protector. It only ever had an Apple leather case on it. It was pristine enough to sell for 900. Maybe I should teach a class on how to handle your phone without a screen protector or a case. I think I’m becoming somewhat of an expert

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Because I sold my 11 pro max after one year of use without a screen protector. It only ever had an Apple leather case on it. It was pristine enough to sell for 900. Maybe I should teach a class on how to handle your phone without a screen protector or a case. I think I’m becoming somewhat of an expert

What is your day to day use case and what sort of scenarios does your phone experience?

TImm3h

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
Desk job.

I have the same issue! I have only had my phone a week. Never had this issue with past phones.

Reactions: Brettka7

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
This has been an issue for years and years. I always put a screen protector as I can't handle looking at micro-scratches.

TImm3h

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
This has been an issue for years and years. I always put a screen protector as I can't handle looking at micro-scratches.
I normally do too. my older phones didn't have this issue though! and to get one in less than a week while working from home makes me think its crappy rushed glass

Reactions: Brettka7

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
To avoid hours reviewing screen protectors, the good ones are?

There lies the issue for me. I feel like people spend so much money on these protection accessories, and there are a LOT of crappy products out there. There are also some heavily overpriced items. It’s just a ton to sort through.

I have tried cheap ones from Amazon, and they always annoy me. I also can’t stand having a ring of dust around my screen constantly from the protector.

I’m slightly considering trying out the Belkin UltraGlass at Apple, but I’ve read that they don’t cover enough of the screen edges and cause light issues. They’re also so expensive.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
If you had to guess how you got those deep scratches you can’t rack your brain for any possibilities? We know it wasn’t Supernatural. You should go through your daily routine and do exactly what you do and place your phone how you always do and then check your pockets and see what you normally have it placed with. These screens have been tested by many youtubers and again they aren’t any more scratch prone than the previous year. Do your detective work and report back
I’m pretty sure I already mentioned I turned my pockets inside out before my last load of laundry and rinsed them out. The same pockets I never felt the need to do that with when I had my 11 Pro.

Nothing EVER goes in the same pocket as my phone. I wouldn’t make that mistake.

Phone goes straight from wireless charger to bed during my morning workout, bed to pocket, pocket to empty cup holder (where only the bezel can be touched), cup holder to pocket, pocket to desk face up, etc.

This isn’t my first glass phone. It’s not a change in routine. It’s a change in glass.

Edit: my earpiece just stopped working on my phone. Pushing iOS 14.2 now but it looks like I’ll be getting a resolution either way.

Last edited:

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Why can’t you accept it is possible to accidentally scratch it though without realising?
Because it's not possible. Simple scratch tests that have been done multiple times by multiple people prove indisputably that you can't scratch it by doing nothing. You'd have to do something very significant to scratch it, which wouldn't be possible without your knowledge of what happened.

I thought I scratched my iPhone 11 Pro "by doing nothing" because it was just in my pocket one day and I took it out later and it was scratched, deeply.

I then thought about it and realized yes it was in my pocket...in my mesh pants pocket while I was pressure washing a concrete driveway at 3200 PSI for several hours. Undoubtedly micro bits of concrete were blasted in such a way to scratch the screen at some point.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Put a good screen protector on avoid micro scratches on the oleophobic coating
My scratches on my 11 Pro very well may have been in the oleophobic coating, but my 12 Pro scratches are much deeper after two weeks. I can feel them when I run my fingernail over them.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Because it's not possible. Simple scratch tests that have been done multiple times by multiple people prove indisputably that you can't scratch it by doing nothing. You'd have to do something very significant to scratch it, which wouldn't be possible without your knowledge of what happened.

I thought I scratched my iPhone 11 Pro "by doing nothing" because it was just in my pocket one day and I took it out later and it was scratched, deeply.

I then thought about it and realized yes it was in my pocket...in my mesh pants pocket while I was pressure washing a concrete driveway at 3200 PSI for several hours. Undoubtedly micro bits of concrete were blasted in such a way to scratch the screen at some point.
Where did the ‘doing nothing’ line come from? Nothing scratches from thin air. I think reasonable use should be taken into account here like ‘putting a phone down on a desk’. It’s possible to see a scratch on anything and not recall how it was done. I don’t take a chance as I know how crap these phones are for surface hardness so I always use a screen protector and case.

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK
There seems to be no logic with these scratches. I’ve used my 11 pro max an XS max before it, without cases and had literally zero scratches on either, despite them being dropped a few times (including concrete) and not being particularly careful. It’s in and out of my pocket all day and up and down off loads of diferent surfaces. My 11 pro max does have a small dent on the side, but that was after I dropped it in the bathroom and it hit the sink and toilet on the way down! Apart from that, its immaculate.

Hope my 12 pro max is the same.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
There seems to be no logic with these scratches. I’ve used my 11 pro max an XS max before it, without cases and had literally zero scratches on either, despite them being dropped a few times (including concrete) and not being particularly careful. It’s in and out of my pocket all day and up and down off loads of diferent surfaces. My 11 pro max does have a small dent on the side, but that was after I dropped it in the bathroom and it hit the sink and toilet on the way down! Apart from that, its immaculate.

Hope my 12 pro max is the same.
I agree. I have had any scratches on my phones...screen or casing. I stick my phone in my back packet and ensure that nothing else is in there. I have never dropped a phone and never set it down screen first on any hard surface. I don't baby my phone but i am not hard on them either

jonppa

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
This story just repeats, no matter how many generations is between.

I bought 4S and same day went to exchange tires to my car. Accidentally put the phone in my pocket with keys (worn out keyring & keys - you know), was there about 15 minutes. Horrible scratches on screen.

4S was also overly advertised back then to be "gorilla" glass or something.

Gladly the device was defect / kept losing network and I got new replacement unit without scratches, phew!

Apple should add screen protectors at factory, those are so great.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
must be supernatural. Try putting a video cam to watch your phone throughout the nite, see if you capture anything. If so, report it to Paranormal caught on Camera!

bogie66

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
wow you are brave
I've had iPhones since the original iPhone. I broke the original screen after I had it two years, I dropped my 6s plus and cracked the screen, other than that, I've had good luck with iPhones, even if they were dropped they almost never broke.

Also, I have never used a screen protector, I only ever had one scratch on a screen my iPhone X, and it wasn't noticable when the screen was on. I'm careful not to put anything else in my pocket with the phone, but that's really the only precaution I take.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.