Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
My 12 mini battery capacity is down to 86%, started service Nov. 13 last year. Optimized Battery Charging has been turned on the whole time. Charging with very few exceptions has been with the Apple magsafe puck. So I'd say that's a pretty similar result. Initially I could get the whole day with 5hrs SOT on a half charge, now I go down to 20% after 3hrs SOT. Of course there have been software updates in the interim so that doesn't necessarily say anything about the battery. Since there's still 14 months left of AppleCare+ there may be some chance the battery health will dip below 80% indicated, in that time.
Same thinking here. Thanksfully I bought AC+ for my mini too.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
My launch day 12 Pro Max still shows 100% battery capacity as well. I very rarely let it charge to 100% or let it drain below 20%.
I charge it overnight on the wireless charger together with Apple Watch and sometimes AirPods. I always thought that if those devices are meant to be charger I never been anxious about finding special ways how to charge. Recently I thought about getting back to wired charging with 5W wall brick but then I started thinking about getting 13 and stopped thinking too much about ways of charging.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Recently I thought about getting back to wired charging with 5W wall brick[…]
Personally I think using a 5W wired charger is a complete waste of time… Using a 20W fast charger (wired) is just so much more convenient (about 4 times faster), and unlike common belief, it doesn’t degrade your battery anymore than a 5W charger. Keeping the battery between 30 to 80%, or even 20 to 90% is much more important than the wattage of your charger.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Yes same, here in the UK the 12 mini has been on sale on Amazon UK for £599 for the last few months (£100 off RRP), so will wait for the 13 mini deals like this and then snag one probably in the Midnight colour. For me the larger battery and 128 GB base storage are the best upgrades overall. The camera upgrade and higher brightness are bonuses.
Here the 12 Mini was available with 200-250€ off in some sales. You just need to be patient. I myself don't need the 200€ but why not safe it and invest it in something else like the new AirPods 3 when they come out if I don't need the 13 Mini right now.

I also think about what I do with AC+. Do I buy a second 13 Mini in time for a steal just to be sure, which would be a big amount compared to going AC+ for two years just to be safe, maybe even with the newly introduced theft bonus introduced here now, which would make it more expensive again (229€ for two years). ATM I don't have AC+ for the first time because I didn't need it. But the 13 Mini is a different story. Or do I make monthly AC+ payment which could go on forever, no two year limit, but this would be even more expensive with 8.50€ a month without theft insurance...

My battery has gotten down to 99% finally, iPhone bought in February, with the iOS15 B8 upgrade. But I almost exclusively charge it with the 5W charger, never magsafe or wireless charging, because I don't need it. Sometimes 12W charger. Never my 20W charger. It is more convenient but I don't need it. If my 12 Mini would have low battery all the time because of intensive use I would use the 20W charger too. If I don't have the time and would be out all the time I would use it too. But I often have the time to let it charge with 5W.
I also think it has something do to with how hot the battery gets during charging and also during use. Do you use your Mini for extensive tasks and games, magsafe charging, use it while charging etc. Maybe you live in an area where it is hot all year. All that stuff. Plus luck. Some batteries have better quality or at least higher capacity than they should, some only the capacity Apple mentions.
My SE 1 which wasn't used all that much but quite some time is still at 97%. My 11 which I had for a year as my main device and then gave to my parents last year, with very moderate use from then on, is at 96%.

My Macbook 12 has gotten down in capacity quite fast imo. And I use it while charging, it is getting hot when using certain apps etc.

Reactions: snipr125

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
With so many other things I’ve got to think about on a daily basis (ie mainly foraging for food and figuring out what’s the next meal;)……I don’t give a passing thought to a battery charging routine. I do have “optimized battery charging” turned on. However, other than that, when the battery is low during the day (often when I see the battery indicator turn red), I charge it back to 100%….with an 18 watt charger. Every night, I throw it on a chi wireless charging pad and it’s 100% the next morning.

I’ve had my iPhone 11 for 2 yrs now and battery health is at 86%. But even if it was below 80% at this point, and assuming that I was going to keep the phone for another year (ie which I’m not…since I just pre-ordered the 13-mini), I’d just schedule an appointment at Apple and have it replaced while I wait for $69.

Given the cost to replace a battery is only $69, I’d never go though the daily grind needed to make sure I didn’t let the battery level fall below 20% or go above 80%.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
I wouldn't hold out on such deep discounts for the 13 mini on Amazon etc as the 12 mini, by most accounts they overestimated the demand and probably had quite a bit of stock to clear. I imagine they've adjusted the production numbers for this generation. That said, I'm waiting for the same haha. Maybe around Jan-Feb

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Personally I think using a 5W wired charger is a complete waste of time… Using a 20W fast charger (wired) is just so much more convenient (about 4 times faster), and unlike common belief, it doesn’t degrade your battery anymore than a 5W charger. Keeping the battery between 30 to 80%, or even 20 to 90% is much more important than the wattage of your charger.
How do you do this without keeping a close eye on your charging at all times? Seems impossible if you're charging over night.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
Why do so many people think this is the last year if the iPone Mini? Apple has never hinted that this might be true. According to thread after thread, the 12 was supposed to be the last version and that so-called ”news” was flying hot and heavy within three months of its release.

Wait… Do people really believe all the unsubstantiated nonsense posted on a board called MacRumors?

Let’s see what happens next year.
When has Apple ever hinted in the history of the company what they're going to do with their products apart from niche stuff like the Mac Pro? All the rumours are aligned on it, the demand is much lower than they anticipated for the minis, it's basically a given that this is the last one

tomtad

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2015
When has Apple ever hinted in the history of the company what they're going to do with their products apart from niche stuff like the Mac Pro? All the rumours are aligned on it, the demand is much lower than they anticipated for the minis, it's basically a given that this is the last one
All the rumours were aligned on square edges for the Watch and look what happened there.

It will be interesting to see where Apple goes with it's future lineup. The mini while it may well have less sales than anticipated it is still a top 10 selling phone worldwide so it's no slouch and combined with the SE Apple's smaller phones are a big chunk of their sales, they aren't going to stop making them.

I wouldn't however be surprised to see the mini divert from the the main iPhone lineup with it being made a bit cheaper with maybe not the latest chip or camera to create a model that bridges the gap between the current mini and the SE. The big gap Apple have unfilled is a more affordable Max phone which I can see them gunning for next year. I could see the lineup being:

iPhone mini - $599

iPhone 14 - $799
iPhone 14 Max - $899

iPhone 14 Pro - $999
iPhone 14 Pro Max - $1099

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I just have a simple battery life app on my phone and on my Apple Watch. It’ll notify me on my watch when my phone has reached a certain battery level (low and high), as well as notify me on my phone when my Watch has reached a certain battery percentage. It’s not perfect, but it works quite well…
I don’t babysit my devices while they’re charging. That’s what cutoff cables are for.

Apple devices are not supposed to overcharge but they do and that shortens battery life. On the rare occasions I use a wireless charger, the iPhone is always hot to the touch when I pick it up even if the lights indicate it stopped charging. I will not be investing in a Mag Safe charger — I don’t trust them.

Tal_Ent

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
I charge it overnight on the wireless charger together with Apple Watch and sometimes AirPods. I always thought that if those devices are meant to be charger I never been anxious about finding special ways how to charge. Recently I thought about getting back to wired charging with 5W wall brick but then I started thinking about getting 13 and stopped thinking too much about ways of charging.
I use one of my old iPad Pro chargers on my 12 Pro Max since it charges faster due to higher wattage. I just checked my nearly 3 year old Series 4 Apple Watch and that has 99% battery capacity. I never charge my devices overnight and often don't need to charge them everyday. I'm confident my AirPods Pro have similar battery capacity because my nearly 5 year old BeatsX earbuds perform like the day I got them.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
All the rumours were aligned on square edges for the Watch and look what happened there.

It will be interesting to see where Apple goes with it's future lineup. The mini while it may well have less sales than anticipated it is still a top 10 selling phone worldwide so it's no slouch and combined with the SE Apple's smaller phones are a big chunk of their sales, they aren't going to stop making them.

I wouldn't however be surprised to see the mini divert from the the main iPhone lineup with it being made a bit cheaper with maybe not the latest chip or camera to create a model that bridges the gap between the current mini and the SE. The big gap Apple have unfilled is a more affordable Max phone which I can see them gunning for next year. I could see the lineup being:

iPhone mini - $599

iPhone 14 - $799
iPhone 14 Max - $899

iPhone 14 Pro - $999
iPhone 14 Pro Max - $1099

Interesting speculation but I don’t see some of it. I agree that the Mini is finding its own market and will likely hold its own going forward.

The SE is targeted at specific non-US/EU markets and should stick around with the occasional refresh. I don’t see Apple merging it with the Mini. There is always a place for a basic iPhone and it’s good that Apple finally realizes that.

I don’t see a mid range Max ever happening. The thing many dislike about the premium iPhone has always been its size but it has all of the latest features. I bought a 7 Plus because it was the first with dual lenses and the only one where I could frame the shot with one hand (pinch-zoom requires two). Loved the feature; hated the size And will never go back.Now that the Mini exists with dual lenses and one-handed framing, it’s something I’m considering.

Last year, it was a given that the 12 was the only Mini we were going to see. This year, Apple doubled down and is making one that is better. There is no “given” that this is the last one.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Agree 100% The speed the battery charges has no effect. I’ve been using 20W chargers with cutoff cables for years.

How do you do this without keeping a close eye on your charging at all times? Seems impossible if you're charging over night.
See my earlier post about cables that slow down at 90% cut off charging when full (99%). McDodo is the best known brand but not the only one out there.

Reactions: Barbareren

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Last year, it was a given that the 12 was the only Mini we were going to see.
I don’t know when that was ever assumed to be the case.

Apple has to decide what size devices they’re going to manufacture for the following year before the current year models go on pre-order. The rumors that were already coming out late last year pointed to identical sizes as 2020 models, which makes sense because Apple would not have yet known how the mini sales would perform in September 2020.

It was widely understood that Apple had already committed to the mini in 2020 and had no choice but to continue with production this year. But knowing what they knew in 2020, they could choose to discontinue it for 2022.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Interesting speculation but I don’t see some of it. I agree that the Mini is finding its own market and will likely hold its own going forward.

The SE is targeted at specific non-US/EU markets and should stick around with the occasional refresh. I don’t see Apple merging it with the Mini. There is always a place for a basic iPhone and it’s good that Apple finally realizes that.

I don’t see a mid range Max ever happening. The thing many dislike about the premium iPhone has always been its size but it has all of the latest features. I bought a 7 Plus because it was the first with dual lenses and the only one where I could frame the shot with one hand (pinch-zoom requires two). Loved the feature; hated the size And will never go back.Now that the Mini exists with dual lenses and one-handed framing, it’s something I’m considering.

Last year, it was a given that the 12 was the only Mini we were going to see. This year, Apple doubled down and is making one that is better. There is no “given” that this is the last one.
Last year, it was noted by Kuo (and I think a few others) that this year would be the last for the mini due to poor sales. Granted, that could change if sales are strong this year but, I really don't see that happening due to so many people being in love with luggage phones.

Reactions: snipr125 and taneff

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
my mini 12 battery has really been going down fast in the last couple weeks. I've been running the ios15 betas -- wonder if that has anything to do with it. my avg screen time is 5 hr 7 minutes over the last 10 days.

I'm getting a 13 mini and I really hope the improvements to battery are legit.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Last year, it was noted by Kuo (and I think a few others) that this year would be the last for the mini due to poor sales. Granted, that could change if sales are strong this year but, I really don't see that happening due to so many people being in love with luggage phones.
Unfortunately I think those rumors are true. According to them there will be two mid range phones, one 6.1 and one Max. And two Pro phones 6.1. and Max too. No Mini anymore. But I would be very, very happy if those rumors would be false. But I believe they aren't.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Unfortunately I think those rumors are true. According to them there will be two mid range phones, one 6.1 and one Max. And two Pro phones 6.1. and Max too. No Mini anymore. But I would be very, very happy if those rumors would be false. But I believe they aren't.
I would be thrilled if they were shown to be wrong as well. At least we can buy several to last us a good while.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Never my 20W charger. It is more convenient but I don't need it. If my 12 Mini would have low battery all the time because of intensive use I would use the 20W charger too. If I don't have the time and would be out all the time I would use it too.
That’s basically my usage pattern. That’s why I love the 20W charger - because it charges the battery while I’m concentrated on work, making food or exercising etc. I’m a pretty heavy user, so I often charge it 2-3 times a day (20-30 minutes at a time is enough). It can be seen as a benefit of having a smaller battery actually, because it charges very quickly - assuming you have access to a power outlet during the day of course…
I don’t charge over night. I have a simple Battery Life app which notifies me on my AW when the charge has reached a certain point (high and low). The same app will notify me on my phone when my AW has reached a certain battery level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.