Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
My experience going from 12 mini to 13 mini has basically been the same. Except the display still looks about as yellow as the 12 mini, unfortunately. Maybe a little less.

Both are more yellow than the iPhone X I’ve been using as a control for comparison.

Yeah I can't compare to the X - I do remember it was a great OLED panel colorwise, though. But putting the two Minis on a table next to each other, the 12 is noticeably more yellow to my eyes than the 13. It might be less noticeable to others, but at least there's some difference there.

Reactions: xpxp2002

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
My experience going from 12 mini to 13 mini has basically been the same. Except the display still looks about as yellow as the 12 mini, unfortunately. Maybe a little less.

Both are more yellow than the iPhone X I’ve been using as a control for comparison.

So truetone is still unusable because it will be piss yellow?

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Are the stereo speakers on the 13 mini improved? (quality and loudness).
In a YT review, it said that the normal 13 has VERY improved speakers, noticeably improved. The reviewer didn't understand how Apple wouldn't state any of this anywhere. He said louder and more volume. Don't know if his own iPhone 12 line up maybe was not ok or if they really have been improved. But if the 13 speakers have been improved I believe the 13 Mini will have improved speakers too.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
In my initial gut reaction, it’s too warm for my taste on this display.

I may try turning it on for a day or two to see if I can adjust to it with this display. But having gone without it for so long, True Tone looks orange to me no matter what now.

Reactions: Nozuka

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I hate that lyric.

If you can’t be with the one you love, and that person isn’t the one you’re with? Leave the one you’re with and chase the one you love. If it doesn’t work out with the one you love, love yourself.

Those who waited even a little now fare loads better than those who tried to “love the one they’re with” and get an iPhone 12 mini, only to 10 days later see a vastly superior 13 mini announced, and yes I do mean vastly superior. No I will not lay out all the many minute differences between the 12 and 13 mini. Go figure it out! It’s pretty interesting!
I like that saying and finally know whom said it.

“Don’t chase anything but dreams and drinks” Diamonds & Caviar. (Clothing company).

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
It would be really great if someone (an audiophile maybe?) could compare the iPhone 12 Mini and 13 Mini about the sound quality over In-Ear (wired), of course with the Apple Dongle. I noticed a little improvement between the iPhone X and the iPhone 12 Mini.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It would be really great if someone (an audiophile maybe?) could compare the iPhone 12 Mini and 13 Mini about the sound quality over In-Ear (wired), of course with the Apple Dongle. I noticed a little improvement between the iPhone X and the iPhone 12 Mini.

But isn’t the entire digital to analog conversion done in the dongle, hence both devices send the same digital data stream out?

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
But isn’t the entire digital to analog conversion done in the dongle, hence both devices send the same digital data stream out?
I thought this too, but I'm pretty sure that I notice a subtle difference between the iPhone X and the iPhone 12 Mini with the same Apple dongle, maybe the iPhone 12 Mini has a different output power which changes the sound.

You can read something here too: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/k44ypa
The iPad sounds also noticeably better and louder than the iPhone although it should have the same DAC chip.

Reactions: ericwn

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Got my 13 mini for launch day delivery. can't wait. After using the 12, I think I would've been truly happy with the mini and I get to experience that now.
I think you’ll fully love it. Care to show off some pictures taken on the 13 mini in the pictures thread (especially with facing bright sunlight or moon light during night shots with/without night mode) please?

mom very keen to see if lens flare that plagues my 12 mini is an issue on the 13 mini.
Cheers.
I will also be waiting for the 13 mini to go on a quick fire sale like the SE did on Apple's website a while back. :D I will snag several if that happens.
Be very keen for Black Friday carrier deals to get the most bang for your $!

I bought my 12mini on Dec 15th and today its battery capacity is down to 85%. I ordered a ProductRed 13 mini, hoping for better battery luck.
WOW! I’m guessing you daily charge on MagSafe chargers right? I’ve had min mid March this year and I’m at 92% ; mostly MagSafe charging as it’s convenient. not going to be doing that often from low battery charging going forward.

My 12 mini battery capacity is down to 86%, started service Nov. 13 last year. Optimized Battery Charging has been turned on the whole time. Charging with very few exceptions has been with the Apple magsafe puck. So I'd say that's a pretty similar result. Initially I could get the whole day with 5hrs SOT on a half charge, now I go down to 20% after 3hrs SOT. Of course there have been software updates in the interim so that doesn't necessarily say anything about the battery. Since there's still 14 months left of AppleCare+ there may be some chance the battery health will dip below 80% indicated, in that time.
Blow me down!! That’s insane! I do agree it’s with MagSafe charging yet I suspect it’s from low battery levels and charging via MagSafe to full that’s the root cause.

personally I’ll be charging via lightning from under 40% battery capacity and using MagSafe for top ups only. My Belkin 3-in-1 is connected to a surge protector power bar as a precaution for all my wall plugged equipment. I’m wait that doesn’t sound right I meant tech computing devices

Why do so many people think this is the last year if the iPone Mini? Apple has never hinted that this might be true. According to thread after thread, the 12 was supposed to be the last version and that so-called ”news” was flying hot and heavy within three months of its release.

Wait… Do people really believe all the unsubstantiated nonsense posted on a board called MacRumors?

Let’s see what happens next year.

yes the rumours were spread thick and heavy. But 2 reports of reduced production of the 12 mini 2qtrs back along with Apple having NEVER advertised in print nor web for the 12 mini (same thus far for the 13 mini) seems to fall in line. Even on Apples site you must select the regular 12 / 13 models to see (or search entire site) the mini models.

all other iPhones since production and even the iPad mini’s all get their own dedicated space and advertisement from Apple in any country.

THAT is the issue!

If Apple doesn’t see a reason to market the mini iPhone series (even though the ASP and profits is more than the SE, Xr, and 11) then most of us mini owners are very worried. It’s perplexing as Apple bumped the storage up with the other units alongside the 13 mini, yet iPad mini didn’t get standard 128Gb low end storage but I suspect 2 things: chip storage limits in supply chain, prioritizing to the iPhones as they sell more units.

Apple learned after the 5S they can sell more phones with larger screens after Android phones long been doing so - especially in Asian markets led by China and Japan first seeing big sales of large screen phones (phablets is the reason the iPhone Max series exists).

I love the mini series, iPad mini 6 and the 12/13 iPhone mini … yet unless the sales increase significantly and majorit of owners write into Apple to tell them the love for such a unit and need to have that size with top end features like we’ve been getting (even on social media) we may see the last production year.

PS: there is less chatter on the forums here about being too pricey or it should be a Pro in small size.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Unfortunately I think those rumors are true. According to them there will be two mid range phones, one 6.1 and one Max. And two Pro phones 6.1. and Max too. No Mini anymore. But I would be very, very happy if those rumors would be false. But I believe they aren't.
Two pro phones at the same 6.1”??? Doesn’t make any sense not even for Apple.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Two pro phones at the same 6.1”??? Doesn’t make any sense not even for Apple.
I think it could have been stated a little clearer. This is what the rumors have suggested for 2022:
  • 6.1” iPhone (non-Pro)
  • 6.1” iPhone Pro
  • 6.7” iPhone “Max” (non-Pro)
  • 6.7” iPhone Pro Max

• Sad
Reactions: snipr125

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I thought this too, but I'm pretty sure that I notice a subtle difference between the iPhone X and the iPhone 12 Mini with the same Apple dongle, maybe the iPhone 12 Mini has a different output power which changes the sound.

You can read something here too: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/k44ypa
The iPad sounds also noticeably better and louder than the iPhone although it should have the same DAC chip.

Thanks much for the link and the additional context, very interesting!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think it could have been stated a little clearer. This is what the rumors have suggested for 2022:
  • 6.1” iPhone (non-Pro)
  • 6.1” iPhone Pro
  • 6.7” iPhone “Max” (non-Pro)
  • 6.7” iPhone Pro Max
better but doesn’t make sense. If anyone has the choice for a large screen non-Pro that costs more and has LESS features than a Pro that’s only .6” smaller in screen size I’ll bet 95% people will go for the pro model that’s cheaper has more features and if current storage options continue have more storage choices - possibly 1 their more storage than a non pro that’s slightly larger and costs more???

nah man that’s not it.

True Tone has its use cases - less or no blue light affecting your eye health and sleep cycle. To me True Tone is a huge blessing for night use as I’m an insomniac.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I think you’ll fully love it. Care to show off some pictures taken on the 13 mini in the pictures thread (especially with facing bright sunlight or moon light during night shots with/without night mode) please?

mom very keen to see if lens flare that plagues my 12 mini is an issue on the 13 mini.
Cheers.

Be very keen for Black Friday carrier deals to get the most bang for your $!

WOW! I’m guessing you daily charge on MagSafe chargers right? I’ve had min mid March this year and I’m at 92% ; mostly MagSafe charging as it’s convenient. not going to be doing that often from low battery charging going forward.

Blow me down!! That’s insane! I do agree it’s with MagSafe charging yet I suspect it’s from low battery levels and charging via MagSafe to full that’s the root cause.

personally I’ll be charging via lightning from under 40% battery capacity and using MagSafe for top ups only. My Belkin 3-in-1 is connected to a surge protector power bar as a precaution for all my wall plugged equipment. I’m wait that doesn’t sound right I meant tech computing devices

yes the rumours were spread thick and heavy. But 2 reports of reduced production of the 12 mini 2qtrs back along with Apple having NEVER advertised in print nor web for the 12 mini (same thus far for the 13 mini) seems to fall in line. Even on Apples site you must select the regular 12 / 13 models to see (or search entire site) the mini models.

all other iPhones since production and even the iPad mini’s all get their own dedicated space and advertisement from Apple in any country.

THAT is the issue!

If Apple doesn’t see a reason to market the mini iPhone series (even though the ASP and profits is more than the SE, Xr, and 11) then most of us mini owners are very worried. It’s perplexing as Apple bumped the storage up with the other units alongside the 13 mini, yet iPad mini didn’t get standard 128Gb low end storage but I suspect 2 things: chip storage limits in supply chain, prioritizing to the iPhones as they sell more units.

Apple learned after the 5S they can sell more phones with larger screens after Android phones long been doing so - especially in Asian markets led by China and Japan first seeing big sales of large screen phones (phablets is the reason the iPhone Max series exists).

I love the mini series, iPad mini 6 and the 12/13 iPhone mini … yet unless the sales increase significantly and majorit of owners write into Apple to tell them the love for such a unit and need to have that size with top end features like we’ve been getting (even on social media) we may see the last production year.

PS: there is less chatter on the forums here about being too pricey or it should be a Pro in small size.
Sure, I’ll try to see if I can get some sunrise shots tomorrow morning.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

silvia_18

macrumors member
May 24, 2020
Oh man I'm on 89% because I only wireless charge (got it last November). Had no idea...

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sure, I’ll try to see if I can get some sunrise shots tomorrow morning.
For comparison here is photos I took roughly 7-7:12PM EST in Toronto. Literary this was at twilight, about 45mins after a really muggy raining day.

what annoys me is the picture come through clear including the ones with various sources of light in the foreground yet lens flare still shows (plaza photo). The others came out mint.

Attachments

• EDF62928-D54F-4941-B3DC-0EA762FAE076.jpeg
    EDF62928-D54F-4941-B3DC-0EA762FAE076.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 87
  • 62A5D2D5-ABDB-43C3-A218-E6B9E059C4C5.jpeg
    62A5D2D5-ABDB-43C3-A218-E6B9E059C4C5.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 6AEE24AE-FC44-4433-83DF-F42A9A0346DC.jpeg
    6AEE24AE-FC44-4433-83DF-F42A9A0346DC.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 88
  • B0573DDD-AA17-4FCC-8FD3-D5D2DDD512C9.jpeg
    B0573DDD-AA17-4FCC-8FD3-D5D2DDD512C9.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 93
  • E2FF2DEB-59CA-4E33-AD01-20A218F1791B.jpeg
    E2FF2DEB-59CA-4E33-AD01-20A218F1791B.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 81
  • 7DB8B8A4-A105-4CCF-BBC7-CBC91BF148DD.jpeg
    7DB8B8A4-A105-4CCF-BBC7-CBC91BF148DD.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 4A4AFC08-6DEF-44C4-AECA-74F76B3D3FE2.jpeg
    4A4AFC08-6DEF-44C4-AECA-74F76B3D3FE2.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 4888BDB5-3062-466E-B5DB-8FBA70D7B88E.jpeg
    4888BDB5-3062-466E-B5DB-8FBA70D7B88E.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 89

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
To anyone with the 13 mini, does it have good close up auto focus? Put your hand close to the camera, does it focuses? They said the 13 mini have the same camera that was in the 12pm. I know for a fact that the 12pm does not auto focus at all, close shots. Examples below are from my 12pm and 8Plus.

Attachments

• 12pm.jpg
    12pm.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 8plus.jpg
    8plus.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiMinji

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
For comparison here is photos I took roughly 7-7:12PM EST in Toronto. Literary this was at twilight, about 45mins after a really muggy raining day.

what annoys me is the picture come through clear including the ones with various sources of light in the foreground yet lens flare still shows (plaza photo). The others came out mint.
I don't see any difference

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't see any difference
The pictures with the parking lot … look at the clouds you’ll see lens flare.

oh wait - there isn’t a comparison from my pics all are from iPhone 12 mini. I posted for reference to anyone taking low light or twilight pics on 13 mini to compare against mine. Sorry wasn’t clear on that.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
To anyone with the 13 mini, does it have good close up auto focus?
Sounds to me like you are looking for Macro capability. The 13 Pro and Max advertise it. Don't know about the 13 and Mini till mine arrive. Here is a 9to5 article there the author starts talking about the Pro then switches to just mentioning the 13. Because of that, we don't know what he's really talking about — other than Macro photography.

Macro photography

I'm guessing that the 13 and Mini have Macro capability. Here's an article where Apple has announced that they will allow automatic Macro switching to be turned off in an iOS 15 update.
iPhone 13 Macro Switching will be able to be turned off in future iOS Update

That said, Moment makes Macro, Telephoto and lenses if you want them for your 12 Mini now (so do other companies but the Moment cases are really convenient). These snap into special mounts designed for their cases. Here's a link to their mount and cases for the 12 series. Scroll down to see it with the mount insert.
Moment lens mount Case iPhone 12 series.

The Moment lenses, purchased separately, are interchangeable; the cases are not. Moment has not announced lens mount cases for the iPhone 13 series yet.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and klasma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.