Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
That’s basically my usage pattern. That’s why I love the 20W charger - because it charges the battery while I’m concentrated on work, making food or exercising etc. I’m a pretty heavy user, so I often charge it 2-3 times a day (20-30 minutes at a time is enough). It can be seen as a benefit of having a smaller battery actually, because it charges very quickly - assuming you have access to a power outlet during the day of course…

I don’t charge over night. I have a simple Battery Life app which notifies me on my AW when the charge has reached a certain point (high and low). The same app will notify me on my phone when my AW has reached a certain battery level.

Agreed, one of the best things about the Mini is how quickly it tops up. It really makes it a non issue.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I’d hardly consider that ‘babysitting’, lol.
If you watch your devices charge so that you can unplug at the optimum time, you can call it what you want. In any case, life’s too short as far as I am concerned.

Charging cutoff cables make that a non-issue for me. The cable has turned off and the connection is cold — so all is well.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
If you watch your devices charge so that you can unplug at the optimum time, you can call it what you want. In any case, life’s too short as far as I am concerned.
I don’t see how getting a notification on my AW or iPhone is the same as watching my devices charge. It’s merely to prevent my devices from charging to 100% (or let them drain below 20%) as I’ve seen that decrease the battery capacity. I only charge at 30 minutes intervals anyway, and the app simply keeps me from leaving the devices on the charger for too long. What’s wrong with that?

Reactions: snipr125

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I don’t see how getting a notification on my AW or iPhone is the same as watching my devices charge. It’s merely to prevent my devices from charging to 100% (or let them drain below 20%) as I’ve seen that decrease the battery capacity. I only charge at 30 minutes intervals anyway, and the app simply keeps me from leaving the devices on the charger for too long. What’s wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with spending the time. I chose not to.

My method does not require notification. My devices are ready when charged and I get to them when I get to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
One more thing Apple missed with the probably last Mini model aka 13 Mini is mmWave 5G worldwide. It was said that with the 13 line up the whole world will get mmWave antenna and support. Not the case. Still only the US.

That is not a big deal right now but maybe will be in 2-3 years. Quite a disappointment. The 13 line is the biggest disappointment in many years. Even the XS was more exiting with XS Max introduced, new massive color, quite a bit better camera etc. Maybe the 8 was as disappointing but then again you had the introduction of the X. So I guess it is the biggest disappointment since 3Gs was introduced over 10 years ago. I am so disappointed.

I live in Europe. Thinking about getting the US model now... But don't know if there could be problems with AC+ etc. I guess so since they don't have us models here in Europe.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
One more thing Apple missed with the probably last Mini model aka 13 Mini is mmWave 5G worldwide. It was said that with the 13 line up the whole world will get mmWave antenna and support. Not the case. Still only the US.

That is not a big deal right now but maybe will be in 2-3 years. Quite a disappointment. The 13 line is the biggest disappointment in many years. Even the XS was more exiting with XS Max introduced, new massive color, quite a bit better camera etc. Maybe the 8 was as disappointing but then again you had the introduction of the X. So I guess it is the biggest disappointment since 3Gs was introduced over 10 years ago. I am so disappointed.

I live in Europe. Thinking about getting the US model now... But don't know if there could be problems with AC+ etc. I guess so since they don't have us models here in Europe.

The camera this year is a bigger improvement than the X to XS ever was. On all models, but especially the Pro’s.

5G has been improved hardware wise, it now supports more bands, maybe not completely future proofing it but even regular 5G is more than fast enough on a device that is unlikely to be used for media content etc.

The US models don’t always have support for European or British bands so check before you buy if that’s the route you go down.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
It was said that with the 13 line up the whole world will get mmWave antenna and support. Not the case. Still only the US.
Was it said by Apple? No.

I can understand disappointment when Apple announces something's coming and it doesn't but not when it's based on other's wishful thinking that they announce as fact.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
That’s basically my usage pattern. That’s why I love the 20W charger - because it charges the battery while I’m concentrated on work, making food or exercising etc. I’m a pretty heavy user, so I often charge it 2-3 times a day (20-30 minutes at a time is enough).

let's say it takes about 90 minutes to charge the iPhone 12 Mini's battery from almost-dead to full, how much faster is the Apple 20W charger?

Thanks!

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
let's say it takes about 90 minutes to charge the iPhone 12 Mini's battery from almost-dead to full, how much faster is the Apple 20W charger?

Thanks!
The 12 Mini doesn't come with a charger so, without knowing the charger you're using now, no one can really answer that.

With my iOS devices, my 20W chargers are a little faster than the 15W Ankers I have (and quite a bit faster than the old 5W that shipped with previous iPhones). I've never done a baseline comparison, though.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico

Thanks!
Hi, using the official Apple 20W charger (wired), and charging the phone for half an hour will give me 50+% more juice. I never charge from empty to full, so I don’t know for sure, but I’d assume it takes around an hour… ?‍♂️

Reactions: snipr125

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I pulled the trigger on a 13 Pro 1T for myself and a 13 Mini 256BG for my wife today. Certain video performance is throttled on the 128GB models — not that I expect her to use the full potential but, if she wants to, I don't want to say, "Hey but I saved $100 over 3 years." Nope, don't want to be that guy.

With ATT's trade-in deals (far better than Apple's) it made sense for me to go through them. ATT will give $350 in bill credits for her iPhone 7 while Apple needs it to be an 8 or newer. I also saved $85 mo. on my data plans by upgrading to 4 lines of Unlimited from 12GB/month shared.

I'm guessing that Consumer's, Cricket and other budget carriers have really chewed into their business model. I'm not endorsing ATT — just mentioning what I did. If you have an old data plan with anyone, time to research because you might be overpaying as I was (my plan was less than 1 yr old!). They sure won't notify you if you are, ya know.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I pulled the trigger on a 13 Pro 1T for myself and a 13 Mini 256BG for my wife today. Certain video performance is throttled on the 128GB models — not that I expect her to use the full potential but, if she wants to, I don't want to say, "Hey but I saved $100 over 3 years." Nope, don't want to be that guy.
I will be that guy then. The 256GB limit is for 4K ProRes video, which is not available at all on the non-pro models. So skipping on the 128GB model for the mini for that reason is completely pointless.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I will be that guy then. The 256GB limit is for 4K ProRes video, which is not available at all on the non-pro models. So skipping on the 128GB model for the mini for that reason is completely pointless.
Wow, you certainly missed my point.

Your idea that two people who make their living in the arts have no use for 4K ProRes is not a judgement you get to make. For $100 extra, I’ve kept it from being an issue.

Feel free to direct your “pointless” remarks to yourself, though. No one’s stopping you.

ls7

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019

Your idea that two people who make their living in the arts have no use for 4K ProRes is not a judgement you get to make. For $100 extra, I’ve kept it from being an issue.

Feel free to direct your “pointless” remarks to yourself, though. No one’s stopping you.
I don’t think his remarks were pointless.

You said in your post that you upgraded to 256GB to not miss out on video performance which I assume means Prores? Or what else would be throttled on 128GB model? Prores is only available on Pro models, so the only reason to upgrade a Mini to 256GB is that you need more than 128GB :)

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020

You said in your post that you upgraded to 256GB to not miss out on video performance which I assume means Prores? Or what else would be throttled on 128GB model? Prores is only available on Pro models, so the only reason to upgrade a Mini to 256GB is that you need more than 128GB :)

I do hope no one has bought a 256GB mini simply for something that isn’t even on the mini devices?!

Reactions: JDnLex

ls7

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
I do hope no one has bought a 256GB mini simply for something that isn’t even on the mini devices?!
I might be misunderstanding what mike wrote, but that’s how I (and at least another guy) interpreted it.

Reactions: RRC and JDnLex

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley

Actually, "pointless' was his word as was his inclusion of ProRes which, you are correct, does not apply to the 13 and Mini. 128GB imposes another limitation on the Mini in Cinematic Mode but you can read specs, I have no doubt.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010

I would have to agree with you. Aside from some camera improvements (that probably only apply to low light shooting) and a brighter screen, I think the stand-out "feature" at least for the mini is the better battery life since the battery in the 12 mini was so anemic. For what it cost me to upgrade from the 12 mini ($69) it was a no brainer for me.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

Actually, "pointless' was his word as was his inclusion of ProRes which, you are correct, does not apply to the 13 and Mini. 128GB imposes another limitation on the Mini in Cinematic Mode but you can read specs, I have no doubt.
Wow, you really are not very self aware, huh?

Also, there are no specific space or model limitations for cinematic mode, so I suggest you read the specs yourself. you really seem to be inventing random things repeatedly.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I went from the 12 Mini to 13 Mini. Yes, a part of the reason was because the trade-in deals on Verizon were hard to pass up. But so far I love it. The screen is better - it's generally a tad brighter, but mainly it's not yellow at all compared to the 12. Battery life is definitely improved. On the 12 Mini, most days I made it through the day ok (I'm not a big video watcher or recorder). But I can already tell after almost a full day with the 13 Mini where I've also been restoring it and playing with it - it's going to be a worthy improvement. And the camera improvements, while not huge, are noticeable.

I know this is silly... but I can feel the weight difference, too. And I like it. It's still not "heavy" by any means. But does feel a bit more solid.

I knew I wanted to stay with the Mini form factor already. So within that thought process, and adding the fact it's costing me very little, I couldn't be happier with it at this point.

Edit: Also found this interesting... the 13 Mini beats the regular 12 in this battery test:

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I went from the 12 Mini to 13 Mini. Yes, a part of the reason was because the trade-in deals on Verizon were hard to pass up. But so far I love it. The screen is better - it's generally a tad brighter, but mainly it's not yellow at all compared to the 12. Battery life is definitely improved. On the 12 Mini, most days I made it through the day ok (I'm not a big video watcher or recorder). But I can already tell after almost a full day with the 13 Mini where I've also been restoring it and playing with it - it's going to be a worthy improvement. And the camera improvements, while not huge, are noticeable.

I know this is silly... but I can feel the weight difference, too. And I like it. It's still not "heavy" by any means. But does feel a bit more solid.

I knew I wanted to stay with the Mini form factor already. So within that thought process, and adding the fact it's costing me very little, I couldn't be happier with it at this point.

Edit: Also found this interesting... the 13 Mini beats the regular 12 in this battery test:
My experience going from 12 mini to 13 mini has basically been the same. Except the display still looks about as yellow as the 12 mini, unfortunately. Maybe a little less.

Both are more yellow than the iPhone X I’ve been using as a control for comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.