Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
The pocket device has always been the one I spend the least on, as infrequently as possible, to run the current systems. I only just moved on from my 2016 first-generation iPhone SE, and I'm going to miss its size and beauty.

Last edited:

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Based on your posting history, you appear to be an incredibly negative person. Life’s too short, let it go.

Food for thought…

Many people, myself included, actually enjoy things in life, like getting a new iPhone for instance. Maybe because it brings usefulness or even enjoyment to their lives. Does both for me. Imagine that. Either way, nobody is forced by Apple or it’s legions to buy a new iPhone.

Fun factoid: a lot of folks, myself included, sell their current phone to offset the cost of the new phone. It’s not like I just throw it in the trashcan year after year and start over. For 2 or $300 out of pocket, I have a new phone each year. Less than the price of a cup of coffee a day, I have a new iPhone. Yeah, I’m all about that. Go figure… 🤔

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Based on your posting history, you appear to be an incredibly negative person. Life’s too short, let it go.

Food for thought…

Many people, myself included, actually enjoy things in life, like getting a new iPhone for instance. Maybe because it brings usefulness or even enjoyment to their lives. Does both for me. Imagine that. Either way, nobody is forced by Apple or it’s legions to buy a new iPhone.

Fun factoid: a lot of folks, myself included, sell their current phone to offset the cost of the new phone. It’s not like I just throw it in the trashcan year after year and start over. For 2 or $300 out of pocket, I have a new phone each year. Less than the price of a cup of coffee a day, I have a new iPhone. Yeah, I’m all about that. Go figure… 🤔
While you are spot on in all you said, it won’t make a dent. He/she will be complaining by 2:30 CST tomorrow about how hEaVy the phones are…blah blah. The same person who will suggest moving from an 8+ to a 14 isn’t a worthy move yet at one time felt compelled to move from the 7 plus to 8 plus…arguably the weakest upgrade ever 🤣.

These posts are great lol.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
While you are spot on in all you said, it won’t make a dent. He/she will be complaining by 2:30 CST tomorrow about how hEaVy the phones are…blah blah. The same person who will suggest moving from an 8+ to a 14 isn’t a worthy move yet at one time felt compelled to move from the 7 plus to 8 plus…arguably the weakest upgrade ever 🤣.

I actually had to edit my response back quite a bit. Trying to be nice and take my own advice I guess. But this person, year after year, unbelievable. Why even be here if all you’re going to do is slag everything. 🤷‍♂️

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
Exactly! Life is too short to be wasted on smartphones or other useless gadgets that won't change your life in any way. There is really no difference between iPhone models. As long as it works, it’s fine. Same apps, same content, doing the same things. You're just trying to justify yourself there's a difference because you think that purchase will somehow make you happy. Well it will, but only for like five minutes. After that you have basically the same device, and much less cash. Don’t do it. Life is wonderful. Live your life. Gain experiences. You don’t need phone for that. Upgrade when it breaks or becomes truly unusable. It’s just a tool.

Thank you OP for starting this discussion. Trying to wake people up is not being negative.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Exactly! Life is too short to be wasted on smartphones or other useless gadgets that won't change your life in any way. There is really no difference between iPhone models. As long as it works, it’s fine. Same apps, same content, doing the same things. You're just trying to justify yourself there's a difference because you think that purchase will somehow make you happy. Well it will, but only for like five minutes. After that you have basically the same device, and much less cash. Don’t do it. Life is wonderful. Live your life. Gain experiences. You don’t need phone for that. Upgrade when it breaks or becomes truly unusable. It’s just a tool.

Thank you OP for starting this discussion. Trying to wake people up is not being negative.
Are you speaking of the “useless gadget” that is a valuable tool for my livelihood? The useless gadget that fits in my pocket, which replaces the need for me to have to carry a computer, a camera and a phone? That useless gadget? Oh, I forgot, it actually also serves as a source of entertainment when needed as well. So yes Skippy, there are people who actually use their “useless gadgets” for more than playing Angry Birds. Go figure!

GMShadow

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2021

TBH I moved from the 7+ to the 8+ when the 8+ had been out for a bit for more battery life, True Tone, and wireless charging. Got a good two years out of it at a cheap price.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
A new iPhone DOES make me happy tho. :D It’s attached to my hip. If I ever need gallbladder surgery they are going to have a tough time getting through the stainless steel. I get a new phone medically replaced every year. I’m just selfish that way. 😑

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Good PSA, totally agree. Unlike the above characterization of OP as negative, I find posts like these to be rare on the forums, grounding, and a breath of fresh air. Not to say folks who want the new iphone shouldn‘t get one, to each their own, everyone has their unique situation and reasons. I always like to look over new releases, they’re mildly interesting, but OP’s reasons are well stated and good reminders. Just my humble opinion.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
3 is debatable. Most people here probably answer yes. :D

And come on, it's not $1500. People who were on iPhone 8 or older can upgrade to the regular 13 or 14 and get a huge upgrade (AMOLED screen, night mode camera, 5G, FaceID, larger screen, more RAM, much better battery life, etc etc).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Good PSA, totally agree. Unlike the above characterization of OP as negative, I find posts like these to be rare on the forums, grounding, and a breath of fresh air. Not to say folks who want the new iphone shouldn‘t get one, to each their own, everyone has their unique situation and reasons. I always like to look over new releases, they’re mildly interesting, but OP’s reasons are well stated and good reminders. Just my humble opinion.
Come to the Alternative sub-forum, where people are upgrading their S22 Ultra to the Fold 4. That's only like 6 months apart. 😂

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK

Food for thought...

Valid points IMO.

Sometimes we need posts like this to ground us from the underlying mains-hum of the hype.

BlueandSilver

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
I am sincerely happy for you that an 8 Plus does the job. For me it just doesn’t. The 13 Pro Max is the only device with the battery life that truly handles my needs as a business owner who is away from power for 15 hours a day and uses it heavily for utilitarian proposes. Will it make me happy? Not directly, no, my family is the thing that makes me happy, not tools. But I do need the tools to accomplish my daily purposes. I need more frequent upgrades to ensure that the tool handles what I throw at it, not for fun but to actually provide for my family. It is my absolute primary device for running my business. Does providing for my family make me happy? Yes. We all buy iPhones. That is the only thing all of us in this chat have in common, fundamentally. Beyond that, we all live very different lives and who knows what needs the other’s have. I’m looking forward to seeing what the iPhone 14 has to offer. It may or may not be more me. I haven’t seen it so I cannot say.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
The pocket device has always been the one I spend the least on, as infrequently as possible, to run the current systems. I only just moved on from my 2015 first-generation iPhone SE, and I'm going to miss its size and beauty.
It came 2016. I also have one, and only replaced it this year with a 13 mini, since my 57-year-old eyes needed a bigger screen.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Money = time, and vice versa. We only have a finite amount of time, and much of that time is spent making money at our jobs. There’s exceptions to this, such as entrepreneurship, but for most people this is the case.

The more money that we spend on things that are really quite useless, such as most phone upgrades for example, then the more time we must then spend regaining that money that we’ve spent. Forgoing the phone upgrade and traveling to a far away place instead would grant far more happiness than the phone would. Those memories will stay with you forever, but that phone will not.

I used travel as an example, but experiences rather than things is the real takeaway here.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
Are you speaking of the “useless gadget” that is a valuable tool for my livelihood? The useless gadget that fits in my pocket, which replaces the need for me to have to carry a computer, a camera and a phone? That useless gadget? Oh, I forgot, it actually also serves as a source of entertainment when needed as well. So yes Skippy, there are people who actually use their “useless gadgets” for more than playing Angry Birds. Go figure!
You are most certainly not a photographer, not a “digital creative”, or an academic/professional creating text or numbers for work -No professional is out there replacing his laptop or desktop with an iPhone.

Yes, smartphones can do a little bit of everything. But their core value is calls and text.

Everything else is done with more precision and efficiency on bigger devices that are made for one thing only.

Some TikTok'ers and SoMe influencers might be making a living off their iPhones. But they are exceptions and you are not.

Neither your iPhone Pro or iPad Pro are computers, Apple has deliberately designed those devices and limited their software and I/O to make sure you still need a Mac/PC.

If all brands dropped doing new phones this year you couldn't upgrade and absolutely nothing would change about how you use your current smartphone.

iPhones are not art or shares -they are consumer electronics and liabilities. I don't care what deal you're getting or what the upgrades are this year.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I am sincerely happy for you that an 8 Plus does the job. For me it just doesn’t. The 13 Pro Max is the only device with the battery life that truly handles my needs as a business owner who is away from power for 15 hours a day and uses it heavily for utilitarian proposes. Will it make me happy? Not directly, no, my family is the thing that makes me happy, not tools. But I do need the tools to accomplish my daily purposes. I need more frequent upgrades to ensure that the tool handles what I throw at it, not for fun but to actually provide for my family. It is my absolute primary device for running my business. Does providing for my family make me happy? Yes. We all buy iPhones. That is the only thing all of us in this chat have in common, fundamentally. Beyond that, we all live very different lives and who knows what needs the other’s have. I’m looking forward to seeing what the iPhone 14 has to offer. It may or may not be more me. I haven’t seen it so I cannot say.
This is a great example of a situation where more frequent upgrades might be beneficial. These devices are tools after all.

I’m afraid that, unfortunately, for most people, they don’t actually gain real-world benefits from their frequent phone upgrades, despite them trying to justify otherwise. And I think that’s what the OP was getting at.

I do wish more folks would look at their purchases more critically like @BlueandSilver. Some people need the advantages that these newer tools (phones) provide. But others don’t. Unfortunately, they’ve already swiped the credit card before considering otherwise.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
The pocket device has always been the one I spend the least on, as infrequently as possible, to run the current systems. I only just moved on from my 2015 first-generation iPhone SE, and I'm going to miss its size and beauty.
That was a wonderful phone. I miss mine and wish there was a 2022 replacement.

Reactions: MacBorn

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2021
I think depends how you see it, for some people is an investment and for other a waste of money (if you DONT take full advantage of your device). Personally, I love tech in every aspect of it and surely will upgrade from my iPhone 13 Pro to 14 Pro Max. A yearly upgrade hurt less than buy each 5 years and spend a fully $1,100+tax (USD) and hold onto that crappy phone and hope it will be pristine for 5 years (no hardware issues etc). For me is an investment, that device in your pocket can record a video/audio, take pictures instantly, browsing internet, entertainment (countless music/videos), see your long distance family (thru FT), GPS Maps, study/learn in every corner (im MD (physician) student)), manage your bank account, money maker (uber, stocks) etc . If I told my dad back in the 90s that a pocket device will do that and more for $1000, he will pay it without hesitating. Now, those same people that whines about: """is a waste of money, is to expensive, I'll keep my iPhone 3GS because the upgrades are minimal""" are the same ones that spend money on lunch/Starbucks everyday religiously. If you add a $5 lunch (that doesn't exist) and a $5 Starbucks (sike) is $10 daily (without adding any extra expenses like breakfast, vending machine...) and multiple by 20 weekdays = $200 monthly on those things and $2400 yearly. In that case, for ME is a waste of money because is unhealthy and a lot of money for trashy food, but for others is an investment. POV people...POV.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013

Food for thought…

Wow, you seem to be bothered by the post made by @janeauburn It was a calm, non-aggressive factual personal opinion. Let it go...

cptcaveman

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Let me first say that I will be lining up to replace my 12 Pro Max (which will go to one of my kids) with a 14 Pro Max. My wife will do the same with the Pro. With a family of five, we tend to feed the tech down the tree each year or so.

But it is funny when you see someone on these forums with an iPhone 13 Pro Max frothing at the mouth about the 14 Pro Max and wanting it on day 1, working out how to change their schedule so they can do that and strategizing about how to UPS so they can get it the soonest. And I actually feel a bit sad for them.

It feels like rampant consumerism and people looking to use material things to plug whatever emotional holes exist in their lives.

I have a lot of nice things and know better than most the very temporary joy of buying something nice and new.

I'm like it won't move the needle that much for you bro. What are you really looking for here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.