Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I'm like it won't move the needle that much for you bro. What are you really looking for here?
World's full of oniomaniacs who need that temporary dopamine rush. Discounting the few people who can defend buying into the 'bleeding edge' because somehow it's objectively justifiable for them, you don't need to look much further than threads like this to spot them.

EDIT: better grammar.

Last edited:

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I will be upgrading to some version of the 14 from an XS. If it wasn’t for the fact that the glass has a small hairline crack in the corner and the battery is at 75%, I would’ve kept it for another year or two.

Reactions: v0lume4

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Interesting take on this. I don't think some needs to upgrade every year. We just want to.

The phone is the only thing I upgrade every year. The rest I just keep for about 3 years.

I honestly find it weird that I have the itch to upgrade my phone every year but not my tablet or watch etc.

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
ZAMMO-grange-hill-just-say-no-to-drugs.jpg

Zammo agrees with you 🤣

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
The pocket device has always been the one I spend the least on, as infrequently as possible, to run the current systems. I only just moved on from my 2015 first-generation iPhone SE, and I'm going to miss its size and beauty.
The 13 mini would be your friend.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Always on display

A16 Bionic chip

Faster more efficient(battery saving) Qualcomm X65 modem

LDRRP5 RAM

New refresh rate display that can now go to 1hz instead of just 10hz

Satellite 🛰 communication capabilities

Wi-fi 6e

48mp camera and improved lenses and portriat

First notchless design after 5 years…

IPHONE 14 PRO MAX!!! I gotta have it!(no sarcasm)

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Always on display

A16 Bionic chip

LDRRP5 RAM

Wi-fi 6e

Calm down, it is just another phone. The western world needs to reduce its consumption of energy and resource dramatically.

If Apple would turn itself into a service company and devices would change in a way so that you can easily repair or upgrade em - wouldn‘t that be great?

Think of it like if you think of an expensive watch. A high quality frame with replaceable components, lasting 30+ years.

The club of rome said it 50 years ago and just repeated that there are limits to growth.

Last edited:

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)

in the UK we are in the midst of a cost of living crisis. Not sure how the rest of the world is coping but inflation is sky high and interest rates are only up slightly (still not good news for savers). Things are getting more expensive, petrol, cars, houses, food, energy bills, clothes..... no doubt this will mean a substantial price rise for the new iPhones in the UK, and with all the other price rises in play for standard things like the weekly shopping, well, this year I have other priorities rather than a new phone.

cptcaveman

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Always on display

A16 Bionic chip

LDRRP5 RAM

Wi-fi 6e

So minorly incremental. Again…

Literally the always on display is probably the only way to tell the difference between it and the 13. Or the 12 for that matter.

The other items literally make no real practical or perceivable difference in day to day use…

LDRRP5 RAM.. seriously…

I never sat around and said gee I wish I had Wifi 6e because it would be faster or I wish the notch was lower…

Mind you I will still buy it 😂

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
Based on your posting history, you appear to be an incredibly negative person. Life’s too short, let it go.

Food for thought…

Many people, myself included, actually enjoy things in life, like getting a new iPhone for instance. Maybe because it brings usefulness or even enjoyment to their lives. Does both for me. Imagine that. Either way, nobody is forced by Apple or it’s legions to buy a new iPhone.

Fun factoid: a lot of folks, myself included, sell their current phone to offset the cost of the new phone. It’s not like I just throw it in the trashcan year after year and start over. For 2 or $300 out of pocket, I have a new phone each year. Less than the price of a cup of coffee a day, I have a new iPhone. Yeah, I’m all about that. Go figure… 🤔
Ridiculous

people don’t need a new phone each year, the upgrades aren’t worth it. In my expert opinion I think people just buy the latest phone as bragging rights rather than actually wanting it because of what it can do. It’s why the M2 is selling , people don’t even need it yet they buy one simply to post they have one in this forum and probably never use it.

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
in the UK we are in the midst of a cost of living crisis. Not sure how the rest of the world is coping but inflation is sky high and interest rates are only up slightly (still not good news for savers). Things are getting more expensive, petrol, cars, houses, food, energy bills, clothes..... no doubt this will mean a substantial price rise for the new iPhones in the UK, and with all the other price rises in play for standard things like the weekly shopping, well, this year I have other priorities rather than a new phone.
Interest rate will be 4% next January and I’m glad because I have tonnes of savings so I’ll probably get about 10k interest alone.

Reactions: Sal09

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I think that's a good point, at least for everyone with a well-functioning relatively recent device, say from the last two years. I've already sort of noticed this with the 13 Pro last year. While I really love the improved camera when I'm out and about, most of the things I'm using it for are the same old things that my iPhone X could do before.

Rationally speaking, a fresh battery could've probably been all that my iPhone X needed to serve me well for another three or so years before actually slowly becoming more and more obsolete.

That being said, I can understand people's excitement since we depend on our phones so much nowadays.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)

You can just say no but not me!

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
So minorly incremental. Again…

Literally the always on display is probably the only way to tell the difference between it and the 13. Or the 12 for that matter.

The other items literally make no real practical or perceivable difference in day to day use…

LDRRP5 RAM.. seriously…

I never sat around and said gee I wish I had Wifi 6e because it would be faster or I wish the notch was lower…

Mind you I will still buy it 😂
This is exactly what I needed this morning 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: gotong

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
You are most certainly not a photographer, not a “digital creative”, or an academic/professional creating text or numbers for work -No professional is out there replacing his laptop or desktop with an iPhone.

Yes, smartphones can do a little bit of everything. But their core value is calls and text.

Everything else is done with more precision and efficiency on bigger devices that are made for one thing only.

Some TikTok'ers and SoMe influencers might be making a living off their iPhones. But they are exceptions and you are not.

Neither your iPhone Pro or iPad Pro are computers, Apple has deliberately designed those devices and limited their software and I/O to make sure you still need a Mac/PC.

If all brands dropped doing new phones this year you couldn't upgrade and absolutely nothing would change about how you use your current smartphone.

iPhones are not art or shares -they are consumer electronics and liabilities. I don't care what deal you're getting or what the upgrades are this year.
My iPhone is my wallet, my main internet browser, my Teams machine, my music player, my remote for all my domotica, my main email reader and writer, my 2 factor authenticator, etc etc. Oh and I make the occasional phone call. And take lots of pictures. It is hardly just calls and texts. Having said that, I DO agree that yearly updates are a luxury for me, I don’t NEED to do so. I could ‘get by’ with updating every 4 or 5 years (with one battery exchange), but yeah, like I said, it is a luxury for me. And I like it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Yes. Let me manage my workflow better and take better pictures of my family.
No. With the increase in screen size I will have additional flexibility.
Yes.
No. One deal I’ll have made the $$$ for the phone back.
Food for thought...

I look forward to my new pro max.

Apple puh-leaze let me buy one.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Are you speaking of the “useless gadget” that is a valuable tool for my livelihood? The useless gadget that fits in my pocket, which replaces the need for me to have to carry a computer, a camera and a phone? That useless gadget? Oh, I forgot, it actually also serves as a source of entertainment when needed as well. So yes Skippy, there are people who actually use their “useless gadgets” for more than playing Angry Birds. Go figure!
^^^
This!

A new iPhone every year is one of the luxuries I allow myself guilt free 😂

I will be trading in my 13 pro max

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Though I think all iPhone 14's will sell really well, as always (no doom and gloom from my perspective), I also think lots of people will hold onto their wallets because 'tough times and my current phone works well enough and is also on the latest version' and wait it out at least another year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.