Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjperformance

macrumors 68010
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
This phone will not cost me $1500 actually. This phone will cost me 12 months of IUP. Going from 13PM to 14PM.

I don't understand why people make these type of threads. If you cant afford it or not upgrading that's all you. No need to bash our fun times. My neighbor just got a 911. Should I bash him about it because I cant afford one yet?

daryl1965

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sorry Jane I meant this reply for the original poster just to be clear my bad. It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
I guess you simply wanted a reaction. You got one , honey lol. Plus since you didn’t try to defend yourself while others had a various valid reasons you stayed silent .
Does that indicate you gave up or you don’t care or what ?????
Food for thought right .
Btw I am in the side of upgrading every 2 years as it actually saves me $

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.
Here’s where I have an issue. No one “makes you think” anything. People upgrade on their own free will.
people don’t need a new phone each year, the upgrades aren’t worth it. In my expert opinion
Your credentials as an expert please. You are correct though, it’s your opinion, not fact.
No professional is out there replacing his laptop or desktop with an iPhone.
Never said they were. Ever try crawling through the fuselage of an aircraft to Id component failure with a computer?

Again boys and girls, who is anyone on here to make the decision for others when an upgrade is warranted?

Shouldibuy

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2022
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
how much did u spend on that new battery? plus a trade in and a bit of savings, upgrading to a better phones sounds like a better idea imo

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I'll add my two cents...

Let's go over the checklist together

1. Will the phone do anything I need? How do you know what I need? You don't but you can assume..

2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? And this is a problem why? A new car does the same things as the old one. My new shoes do the same things as the old ones. My new pants do the same things as the old ones...

3. Will the phone make me happier? You know what makes me happy?

4. Will the phone make me poorer? Everything you buy makes you poorer. Should I wear rags so I'm not poorer?

Let people decide what they need and want instead of projecting what you need or want on them. It's like the worst trait that I see when it comes to people giving advice on the forums. People give advice based on their needs or wants and somehow assume that everyone is exactly the same as they are. I'm probably not going to get the new iPhone 14 but it has nothing to do with the reasons given here in that checklist.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I know I'm not going to upgrade yet
[1] I always buy outright/at point of sale in full payment however I don't have the funds to purchase the latest model
[2] I am thinking of switching to mobile photography and get those camera upgrades however I am still more comfortable taking pictures with a DSLR camera than a smartphone
[3] Even though I just use the speaker to listen to audio and video I am still keeping the iPhone 6s which has the headphone jack
[4] I bought a 2016 iPhone in 2020 brand new and battery health is currently 92% which the battery capacity is not as good as the newest iPhone models but it still is good for my use case
[5] Right now I am using old android phones Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro as an android refresher and those are what I have at the moment but I am thinking of purchasing a pre-owned Samsung Galaxy S10+ since it is the last flagship series from Samsung that still has a headphone jack
[5-1] Just like Samsung Galaxy S10 series which has a feature removed in the next flagship the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is the last one that has a replaceable battery
[5-2] If someone's gonna bring up privacy and security I know what I'm getting into and my online privacy and security stopped being a thing ever since I was exposed to the internet and the world wide web

Reactions: rjw1678 and 5105973

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal

And I’ll still buy it.

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
Each to there own if they want to upgrade go ahead for some it’s cheaper to upgrade

For me personally I’m more likely to get a new battery once my phone needs it

Maybe iPhone 15 if it comes with usb c instead of lightning

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I haven’t read every reply in this thread but hardly anyone pays full price for a new phone. At most it’s $200-300 out of pocket depending on trade in values and what model you want.
How do you figure? $300 for the pro max is a no brainer. How would I do that by trading in an xr?

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Love is not a gadget, love is not a toy
When you find the one you love she’ll fill your heart with joy…

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I know I'm not going to upgrade yet
[1] I always buy outright/at point of sale in full payment however I don't have the funds to purchase the latest model
[2] I am thinking of switching to mobile photography and get those camera upgrades however I am still more comfortable taking pictures with a DSLR camera than a smartphone
[3] Even though I just use the speaker to listen to audio and video I am still keeping the iPhone 6s which has the headphone jack
[4] I bought a 2016 iPhone in 2020 brand new and battery health is currently 92% which the battery capacity is not as good as the newest iPhone models but it still is good for my use case
[5] Right now I am using old android phones Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro as an android refresher and those are what I have at the moment but I am thinking of purchasing a pre-owned Samsung Galaxy S10+ since it is the last flagship series from Samsung that still has a headphone jack
[5-1] Just like Samsung Galaxy S10 series which has a feature removed in the next flagship the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is the last one that has a replaceable battery
[5-2] If someone's gonna bring up privacy and security I know what I'm getting into and my online privacy and security stopped being a thing ever since I was exposed to the internet and the world wide web
That’s all is pretty cool and those are some cool phones with features definitely to be appreciated! I appreciate that your post is only about your own decisions and hold no judgement or condemnation of other people. And it’s encouraging for anyone who wants to hold onto older phones.

There are legit reasons for enjoying the older phones, as your post shows. I’m loving the iPhone 11 I’m typing on. I am still to this day crazy about my Pixel 2. And there are definitely so many valid reasons to hold onto any given iPhone for as many years as one can.

And there are legit reasons for people wanting the latest iPhone.

Seriously the judgements that are cast on people just having fun before a new iPhone release is kind of horrifying.

I’ve been driving the same car for 25 years. My “new” car was a hand me down from my dad that came to me at about 12 years. But I don’t sit here casting judgements at the guys showing off photos of their state of the art luxury autos on this forum and I don’t see anyone else doing that to them. People post photos of their luxury watches and nobody tells them to stop buying those watches and use the money for charity instead (as happened on another thread and was removed by moderators).

I don’t get what is so polarizing about new iPhone purchasing that it brings out the judgement each year.

ALL manufacturing damages the environment. Agriculture damages the environment. Pretty much everything humans do damages the environment. So unless someone is living their best life in a tent off the grid and eating only what they can forage, we all kind of suck.

From what I’ve seen, most of us who upgrade iPhones annually economize in other ways. Do we have to make some statement of self defense every year about how frugal and virtuous we are in other areas of our lives to get the virtuous iPhone 7’s held together with duct tape wavers off of our butts?

AreVeeDEE

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2021
I stopped upgrading for fun because of the environment. Since it totally legal to destroy our planet with consumerism (buying tech for joy, drive SUV's, flying without hesistating, etc.) I can understand that people do so because it's legal (if you can afford it).

I did my investigation and concluded that I don't fully trust our goverments and market to fix the climate change disaster. Buying new tech products has a huge impact. I decided to take responsibility for my own actions. I stop with upgrading because I can afford it, while it's not really necessary.

Mostly people attack me or make a fool of me after saying this, but I don't care. It's a person's own choice to buy a new iPhone for fun, so is my choice to not buy it, despite I can afford it and despite I also can have some fun with it.

As a tech enthousiast I changed my approach. Instead of having the latest and greatest, I now enjoy maintaining my devices properly and keep them working as long as reasonable possible. It's fun!

No hard feelings for people with another view on this btw, I respect everyone's opinion and choices.

iAlvinK

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Nashville, TN
Based on your posting history, you appear to be an incredibly negative person. Life’s too short, let it go.

Food for thought…

Many people, myself included, actually enjoy things in life, like getting a new iPhone for instance. Maybe because it brings usefulness or even enjoyment to their lives. Does both for me. Imagine that. Either way, nobody is forced by Apple or it’s legions to buy a new iPhone.

Fun factoid: a lot of folks, myself included, sell their current phone to offset the cost of the new phone. It’s not like I just throw it in the trashcan year after year and start over. For 2 or $300 out of pocket, I have a new phone each year. Less than the price of a cup of coffee a day, I have a new iPhone. Yeah, I’m all about that. Go figure… 🤔

I do the same with offsetting the cost to pay for the latest one but also I work for a company that gives me a stipend each month towards my cell phone bill which roughly is about $40 a month. I use this stipend towards buying(leasing) the latest iPhone usually once a year.

Last edited:

bkaus

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
For what I pay for monthly service, I prefer to keep a modern phone. Not every year, but every 2nd year.

Reactions: gotong

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
No iPhone has really made me happy since my first: the iPhone 6 in 2014. Apple events used to convince me that things would really be changed by some new feature or another, and that never happens. Even going to an iPhone with two cameras turned out to be a nothingburger.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria

Food for thought...

Amen to that. Time to call for a boycott of that yearly "miniscule updates for more and more money" - cycle.

One thing that has not been reported here is that apple is planning on doubling it's digital advertising staff - from 250 to 466. Shortly after they made it harder for the competition to use iPhones as advertising platforms - under the guise of protecting their users. Not that this would be a bad thing by itself, but in combination it sounds more than a little shifty.

Major marketing bullet-points that define their image are privacy, that you pay more and get sold less in turn and also a little care for the environment. Their recent actions defy that image. Toying with that could/should have bad consequences for their bottom line.

At least they deserve a little pushback right now, imho.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

Food for thought...

This is a great checklist on a lot of different potential purchases... ;)

Reactions: koigirl

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019

Food for thought...

why do u even care if apple releases a new phone? just use the one u have replaced the battery and let others buy a iphone when they want to. lol how always people want to tell others what they have todo :D

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
A new iPhone DOES make me happy tho. :D It’s attached to my hip. If I ever need gallbladder surgery they are going to have a tough time getting through the stainless steel. I get a new phone medically replaced every year. I’m just selfish that way. 😑
It's the one thing a year I like to get. I don't care about alcohol or cars or whatever else other people spend money on. Even my laptop I only replace if it dies or gets horribly slow which doesn't happen much anymore since I don't play the complex 3D games much anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.