Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobjonesco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Perth
I'm surprised that no one is really talking about the iPhone 14 Plus.

I for one wanted the big screen, but could do without the weight of the 13 Pro Max, and am not that interested in the camera setup either.

Currently using a 13 as my daily driver, and at just 30grams heavier and a battery that's even better than what I already have - I'm looking forward to ordering a 14 Plus.

thesheleys

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2008

I for one wanted the big screen, but could do without the weight of the 13 Pro Max, and am not that interested in the camera setup either.

Currently using a 13 as my daily driver, and at just 30grams heavier and a battery that's even better than what I already have - I'm looking forward to ordering a 14 Plus.
I am going from the 12 to the 14 Plus and can’t wait. Only bummer is it isn’t going to be here until October.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I thought about “upgrading” from a 13 PM to a 14 Pro. The main idea was the weight (over 1 oz lighter).

However,

- PM is only $200 more for a good amount of new features (new pool design, better camera, better battery, more future proof)
- 14/14 Plus colors are really poor this year (they will fix it later, but it’s enough to drive a purchasing decision)

bobjonesco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Perth
I thought about “upgrading” from a 13 PM to a 14 Pro. The main idea was the weight (over 1 oz lighter).

However,

- PM is only $200 more for a good amount of new features (new pool design, better camera, better battery, more future proof)
- 14/14 Plus colors are really poor this year (they will fix it later, but it’s enough to drive a purchasing decision)
Yeah, weight is at the top of my list. I read a lot and want to get rid of my Kindle so I don't have to use two devices. The battery on my 13 lasts me 2 days, so no need for something 'much' better there too. The color also doesn't bug me, seeing I'll be using a case anyway. I'd rather use the $200 savings to grab a pair of AirPods Pro 2.

Reactions: thatguyshan

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I was wondering about this. Honestly, it never crossed my mind to consider the 14plus. I planned all along to do the 14 pro if I upgraded - really wanted to try a pro max this year, but the weight just holds me back. I thought I wouldn’t even upgrade except to lose the notch.

The 14plus is appealing to me for sure - get the bigger size without as much weight. But I’d still be stuck with that notch. Decisions, decisions.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
For me with the 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max the weight distribution on the Max seemed better so it felt lighter than the Pro. Others on this forum have mentioned something similar too. It's likely that the 14's will feel the same since the overall dimensions of both devices are very similar. Of course the 14 Plus should feel much lighter.

Unfortunately for me, after using the 120Hz screen on my personal phone and then using 60Hz on my work phone the 60Hz feels choppy when scrolling. So I don't want to go back to using a 60Hz screen again.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Because the 14PM is a much better buy at only $200 more (brighter & faster display, superior cameras, newer processor, higher quality build materials, fresh design, even better battery life) than the 14 Plus. All of these improvements seem more than worth the $200 premium, on top of being able to get the phone 3 weeks earlier too…

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
14 plus is the real deal. Nobody mentioned it but it’s even lighter than 13 pro! And with the bigger body of 14 plus the weight distribution would be better on the hand.

Do we await improvements also on the OLED screens of 14/14 plus or are the same as 13s ?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
These forums are outliers. Mainstream consumers don't visit this place.

We saw the exact same thing in 2018 when XR was launched. Hardly anyone in MR talked about it except to disparage the LCD display. It turned out to the best selling smartphone in 2019.

The 14 Plus will be the best selling smartphone globally next year.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
The 14 Plus was definitely an iPhone made for my parents lol.

They love Apple and iphones but they don't use all the features like younger people do. But they LOVED the biggest screen due to making the fonts even bigger, that was only available on the premium models only. Not anymore!

This is perfect for them now since they don't need all the fancy Pro level features but they can still have a nice big OLED display with nice speakers, fast chip, etc.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

Mark my words this will soon become the best selling iPhone period.

Reactions: DJTaurus

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The 14 Plus was definitely an iPhone made for my parents lol.

They love Apple and iphones but they don't use all the features like younger people do. But they LOVED the biggest screen due to making the fonts even bigger, that was only available on the premium models only. Not anymore!

This is perfect for them now since they don't need all the fancy Pro level features but they can still have a nice big OLED display with nice speakers, fast chip, etc.

Younger people love the big screen more than older gen. The older gen expect the iPhone to be a phone. They don't use more than one app at a time.

Younger people get a million notifications, use picture in picture, use Google Maps, and actually multitask. That calls for a bigger display.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Younger people love the big screen more than older gen. The older gen expect the iPhone to be a phone. They don't use more than one app at a time.

Younger people get a million notifications, use picture in picture, use Google Maps, and actually multitask. That calls for a bigger display.
No no, I meant like the older gen doesn't really mind the extra camera, the stainless steel and other features the Pro has as much as the big OLED.

Reactions: JPack

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Where’s the love? Quickly disappeared with the £949 ($1091) starting price I would imagine.

You can get a 13 Pro for £50 cheaper with some of the deals today.

I believe the OP is saying where's the love in comparison to the 14PM, which is even more money, so I don't think it's the price that's the issue 😉

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I would love a 14 Plus but it's just a bit too pricey for me. Maybe in a couple of years I will pick one up!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I believe the OP is saying where's the love in comparison to the 14PM, which is even more money, so I don't think it's the price that's the issue

I was responding to the thread title, not the OP. I saw the title in the list and didn’t bother to go back and read anything, just fancied making my point whether it was relevant or not

• Sad
Reactions: usagora

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
If only Apple add promotion on this phone, I would have switch from my 13 pro…

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I have a first world dilemma. I always have two phones. One is primary, one is back up. My set up last year was the 13 pro max and regular iPhone 13. I sold the pro max a week ago and now have a 14 pro max ready for pick up on the 17th. I realized after having 6.1 and 6.7 that the 6.7 is a much better experience, visually, typing, and also due to promotion. Apple is giving $470 trade in for the iPhone 13. I like the 14 plus because of the size and it’s lighter than the max(203grams vs 240grams), and I’m also interested in the light blue color on the 14 plus, reminds me of the Sierra blue on my 13 pro max. BUT the pricing doesn’t make financial sense. $900 for the base 14 plus and only $100 more for a base 14 pro. what would you do. The biggest draw again is having a bigger but lighter phone to toss around as back up

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Where’s the love? Quickly disappeared with the £949 ($1091) starting price I would imagine.

You can get a 13 Pro for £50 cheaper with some of the deals today.

But it is under that £1000 threshold. That’s still a key thing, for many I think spending over a grand for something that essentially only lasts 3 years is too much. If they want that bigger screen size. I see a ton of iPhone backs with the 2 lenses and hardly any with 3. Is that preference to the 6.1” size until this year, or price?

Ill have to go and look at the new models personally. I really like the idea of a bigger screen for easier typing, but I like the new Pro features, I dislike it’s weight though and in the U.K. is ludicrous price now.

NoName666

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
iPhone 14 and plus are a marginal upgrade from 13, wouldn't even bother unless you really want the satellite stuff but even that is subscription based. shell out for a Pro or get a 13.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
iPhone 14 and plus are a marginal upgrade from 13, wouldn't even bother unless you really want the satellite stuff but even that is subscription based. shell out for a Pro or get a 13.
Except the 14 plus is the biggest, lightest, highest resolution(oled), aluminum sided phone the line up has ever had. That makes it unique and desirable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.