Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elwots

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
For me it’s the lack of ProMotion. After having the 13 Pro, 60hz screens look very jittery to me when swiping.

Reactions: mous94410

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
But it is under that £1000 threshold. That’s still a key thing, for many I think spending over a grand for something that essentially only lasts 3 years is too much. If they want that bigger screen size. I see a ton of iPhone backs with the 2 lenses and hardly any with 3. Is that preference to the 6.1” size until this year, or price?

Ill have to go and look at the new models personally. I really like the idea of a bigger screen for easier typing, but I like the new Pro features, I dislike it’s weight though and in the U.K. is ludicrous price now.

Yeah the prices are ridiculous but we can blame our inflation for that. I’ve upgraded to a 13 Pro this morning from an iPhone 12. My wife got the 13 Pro Max and her contract is only £1270 I think over the 2 years, yeah it’s still a lot lol. I couldn’t face getting a 14 when I knew for the same price or cheaper I could get a 13 Pro. I’ve never had a Pro iPhone before and would never have paid over a grand for any handset. I got £40 cash back too.

Reactions: snipr125

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
13 pro max has stainless steel sides and weighs 240 grams

14 plus weighs a mere 203 grams

14 plus says goodbye

If I was wanting a bigger iPhone right now the 13 Pro Max would be higher up the list than the 14 Plus. I think if weight is an issue then a bigger phone won’t be desirable anyway. Considering the 14’s have the same processor and camera as last years Pro’s, it’s a no brainer I would say. There’s a reason the 13 Pro’s are selling rather well over the last couple of days.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It’s going to be interesting to see if this phone goes the way of the mini or ends up a success. Compelling arguments could and have been made either way. We just don’t know how the general public will react.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
If I was wanting a bigger iPhone right now the 13 Pro Max would be higher up the list than the 14 Plus. I think if weight is an issue then a bigger phone won’t be desirable anyway. Considering the 14’s have the same processor and camera as last years Pro’s, it’s a no brainer I would say. There’s a reason the 13 Pro’s are selling rather well over the last couple of days.
Right, but I’m looking to replace my regular iPhone 13 which was a back up to my iPhone 13 Pro Max which was sold last week on Facebook marketplace for 900 and is being replaced by a iPhone 14 Pro Max that’s going to be picked up at an apple store on September 17. 😉

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Right, but I’m looking to replace my regular iPhone 13 which was a back up to my iPhone 13 Pro Max which was sold last week on Facebook marketplace for 900 and is being replaced by a iPhone 14 Pro Max that’s going to be picked up at an apple store on September 17.

What’s the reason for a back up? Do you just have it just in case the 13 Pro Max stops working?

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
What’s the reason for a back up? Do you just have it just in case the 13 Pro Max stops working?
The backup is for putting the primary on charger when the battery is low and I use The other one. Also the primary is attached mostly to official business and family and the backup is like a side hustle burner phone. I sold my primary on marketplace over a week ago and I switched sims and use the backup as primary until I pickup my iPhone 14 pro max. I can also try out the public beta‘s on my secondary. You get the gist. Kinda like having two cars. It can be useful

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Sunshower

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2018
UK
Waiting to see about the battery life - if it’s truly bonkers then it will start getting more love on places like MR. I think people who don’t use MR or who aren’t so interested in tech will care most about a larger display. Otherwise it’s the price in markets other than the US that will potentially put people off. I know personally I’m going to have to wait for a few months to save for my XS replacement so I will hopefully get a good picture of the benefits and drawbacks of each model as well as compared to the 13 series. It’s definitely a weird year to be upgrading but it’s time for me. In an ideal world I’d get a 256gb 14 pro but at £1209, it’s just too far out of reach.

Last edited:

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
SO will the plus be as slow as the 13 mini? which I found too slow compared to Pros? if faster at all maybe worth it...

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
SO will the plus be as slow as the 13 mini? which I found too slow compared to Pros? if faster at all maybe worth it...
When you say slow I presume you mean the 120 hz faster refresh screen on the Pro models. The 14 Plus will feel exactly the same as the 13 mini, as they both have 60 hz screens and the same A15 bionic chip.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
When you say slow I presume you mean the 120 hz faster refresh screen on the Pro models. The 14 Plus will feel exactly the same as the 13 mini, as they both have 60 hz screens and the same A15 bionic chip.

Where is Promotion most obvious? I’ve got a 13 Pro since yesterday and am not noticing any difference to my 12 which didn’t have it. Have I got to activate it do you know?

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
yeah that wont be cool, mini was sooo slow!

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Coming from a 12 Pro, the 14 Plus is for my aging eyes (need larger screen), larger fonts (eye sight), and SOS Emergency satellite feature (spey fishing remote waters & rivers without cell service).

Never really used any of the 12 Pro camera features so it was a waste IMO.

14 Plus' SOS emergency satellite feature was not included, I would have waited for a 15.

ios-16-iphone-14-pro-emergency-sos-connected-to-satellite.png

Reactions: JPack

loungefly2022

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2022
I ordered 2 for my 80 year old grandparents. They’re new to technology as of a few years ago (could barely understand the flip phones they had as recently as 2018).

They each had a, slow, lower tier Android phone for the last couple of years. I got them an iPad Air last year. They took to it big time and realized what they were missing. They have no use for the Pro features and a bigger phone is ideal for their age, eyesight, and motor skills.

As an aside, I still get a kick watching them use tech. Maw loves to share recipes on Facebook and take photos and videos of the great grand kids and Paw loves watching old football games on YouTube. 4 years ago they didn’t have internet and mainly used a land line.

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
Younger people love the big screen more than older gen. The older gen expect the iPhone to be a phone. They don't use more than one app at a time.

Younger people get a million notifications, use picture in picture, use Google Maps, and actually multitask. That calls for a bigger display.
This isn’t true at all. Both of my parents love the larger screen. This is such a weird and silly generalization.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
I have a first world dilemma. I always have two phones. One is primary, one is back up. My set up last year was the 13 pro max and regular iPhone 13. I sold the pro max a week ago and now have a 14 pro max ready for pick up on the 17th. I realized after having 6.1 and 6.7 that the 6.7 is a much better experience, visually, typing, and also due to promotion. Apple is giving $470 trade in for the iPhone 13. I like the 14 plus because of the size and it’s lighter than the max(203grams vs 240grams), and I’m also interested in the light blue color on the 14 plus, reminds me of the Sierra blue on my 13 pro max. BUT the pricing doesn’t make financial sense. $900 for the base 14 plus and only $100 more for a base 14 pro. what would you do. The biggest draw again is having a bigger but lighter phone to toss around as back up
Your words seem very telling.

Your final bit says the biggest draw is having a bigger and lighter phone -- that's the Plus.

You like the light blue -- that's the Plus.

You've sold the 13PM and are using the 13P and realize that you miss the bigger size -- that's the Plus (and Pro Max).

Your issue seems to be that a "better" phone is "only" $100 more. But why would you pay even more money for something that you want less? I think you're pretty fortunate that a possible bigger backup phone can cost less than a smaller phone. :)

Last edited:

CrashKC

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2020
According to Ming-Chi Kuo…. Preorder results of iPhone 14 pro max are good. Pro is neutral. The two standard models are bad. Expect order cuts for the 14 plus.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
According to Ming-Chi Kuo…. Preorder results of iPhone 14 pro max are good. Pro is neutral. The two standard models are bad. Expect order cuts for the 14 plus.

The order cut of plus would be few because there are almost no order lol xd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.