Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Your words seem very telling.

Your final bit says the biggest draw is having a bigger and lighter phone -- that's the Plus.

You like the light blue -- that's the Plus.

You've sold the 13PM and are using the 13P and realize that you miss the bigger size -- that's the Plus (and Pro Max).

Your issue seems to be that a "better" phone is "only" $100 more. But why would you pay even more money for something that you want less? I think you're pretty fortunate that a possible bigger backup phone can cost less than a smaller phone. :)
You’re right! Why pay more for something I want less? And also why pay 200 more for the same thing(another max) when I want the different color, feel of aluminum and glass, and the lightness. I think you just about talked me into it. Lol 😝

P.s. It’s actually the 6.1 regular 13 I have as back up. Not the 13p. Apple is offering $470 trade in for it and I can subtract that from $899 iPhone 14 plus.

Reactions: happy orchard

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
I ordered 2 for my 80 year old grandparents. They’re new to technology as of a few years ago (could barely understand the flip phones they had as recently as 2018).

They each had a, slow, lower tier Android phone for the last couple of years. I got them an iPad Air last year. They took to it big time and realized what they were missing. They have no use for the Pro features and a bigger phone is ideal for their age, eyesight, and motor skills.

As an aside, I still get a kick watching them use tech. Maw loves to share recipes on Facebook and take photos and videos of the great grand kids and Paw loves watching old football games on YouTube. 4 years ago they didn’t have internet and mainly used a land line.
What a nice gift! As you know, there are lots of accessibility settings on the phone that will help them. Also, I think the new iCloud Photo Sharing Library feature coming out later will be fun for families.

Reactions: loungefly2022

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I just got the Spigen front glass protector for the 14 Plus.
Package says it fits the 13 Pro Max.
Are the same face specs ?

IMG_9520.JPG

Last edited:

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
If I were getting an iPhone this year (not), I'd select the Plus for the following reasons:
  • lighter weight (almost as light as 8+)
  • no virtual island or whatever they call that stupid notch replacement thing
Still, the notch is an eye sore, including the "island."

Wait till next year.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
IMO it seems to have the most limited appeal of the 4 models, by far. The 6.1 iPhone 14 is the cheapest and most mainstream and will appeal to the lay users the most. The PM will appeal to those who have the have the most expensive one, and the 6.1 pro will appeal to those who want the (this year, considerably significant) extra features on the pro models but with a more sensible screen size and weight than the PM.

Where does this leave the Plus then? It might turn out to be a white elephant like the mini, it is arguably more extreme in terms of screen size (at the other end of the spectrum to the mini), it’s barely any cheaper than the Pro which has all of the interesting upgrades, and it’s not as if the standard 6.1 iPhone 14 is small enough to upsell people to the Plus, indeed the 6.1 inch size is perfect for many (most) users and anything significantly larger than that becomes a negative

I can see it selling by far the fewest and being dropped in a couple of years, similar to how the mini was

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
To all the people saying the price difference between 14 plus and 14 pro max is not that important:
- USD 200 + tax is significant
- CAD 300 + tax is significant
- EUR 310 is significant

I somewhat agree, but if someone is spending that much on a phone they may as well increase the budget by a bit and get a better phone that they’ll likely keep for longer.

The 14 Plus isn’t being sold due to a massive outcry of demand, it’s just that the manufacturing costs are probably less than that of the mini and/ or a larger profit margin on the ones they can sell.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I somewhat agree, but if someone is spending that much on a phone they may as well increase the budget by a bit and get a better phone that they’ll likely keep for longer.

The 14 Plus isn’t being sold due to a massive outcry of demand, it’s just that the manufacturing costs are probably less than that of the mini and/ or a larger profit margin on the ones they can sell.

For some people a £949 (iPhone 14 Plus) is a very expensive phone already. Just stretching the budget to £1199 for the 14 Pro Max is a bit extreme and let’s face it, most people don’t need a phone anywhere near as good as that. The 14 suits probably 85% of iPhone upgrades in reality.

huanbrother

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2012
CHINA
It's just another iPhone XR story.

The XR was unpopular at launch due to the high price and lack of features compared with the XSs. As time went on and sellers rolled out discounts (up to 100~150 USD discount), the XR started to shine. Let's not forget the better thermals and battery life the XR had when compared to the XS models. The single-layered PCB design made the phone cooler when gaming.

The reviews for the 14 and 14 Pro will be revealed this Wednesday, according to some comments made by tech media during a recent live stream in China, the reviewers hinted that when under sustained heavy loads like playing Genshin Impact the 14 outperformed the 14 Pro, thanks to its "improved thermals" mentioned on the Apple Event, as well as stated in Apple's Press Release and product introduction pages on Apple.com. There are no mentions of "improved thermals" for the Pro models, some suspect that there'll be none.

So the 14 Plus will be very controversial.
For its debut price, it's not as attractive as the Pro models.

But if in a few months the discounts start to kick in, and people start to realize its better "thermal" performance (if true) and battery life (under normal use which requires a lot of scrolling, static refresh rate saves more battery than ProMotion), the sales of it may improve a little.

But we can't blame anyone who chooses not to appreciate the internal tweaks done to the 14 models, it's Apple's obligation to deliver unbiased upgrades to its customers. When they failed to do so, like with the 5C and the XR, they had their lessons, but they just never learn.

Maybe currently the role of the 14 and 14 Plus selling at debut price is to drive people to get the more expensive Pro models, and when the discounts come, Apple'll encourage people having a smaller budget to get the regular 14s. Win twice for Apple.

Fingers crossed for the 1st wave of reviews!

(Ordered the Blue 14 Plus 256G on the 9th, the clear case and screen protector arrived yesterday, what a long wait!)

Attachments

• 微信图片_20220913183222.jpg
    微信图片_20220913183222.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 微信图片_20220913183230.jpg
    微信图片_20220913183230.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 76

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
To all the people saying the price difference between 14 plus and 14 pro max is not that important:
- USD 200 + tax is significant
- CAD 300 + tax is significant
- EUR 310 is significant
true but the plus will be much slower...

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
It’s won’t be slower by any means. If an iPhone 12 is still fast and popular, the 14 is not going to be slow. I can’t see any difference in speed between my iPhone 12 and 13 Pro. The 14 Plus will be fine.

Then why not just buy 13 Pro Max with very similar price with 3 camera and pro stuff lol xd

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
If I were getting an iPhone this year (not), I'd select the Plus for the following reasons:
  • lighter weight (almost as light as 8+)
  • no virtual island or whatever they call that stupid notch replacement thing
Still, the notch is an eye sore, including the "island."

Wait till next year.
So you think Apple will eliminate the cutout display and Dynamic Island next year after tooling + all the effort that's gone into UX design? Mmmm, I think it will be at least another year or two before no notch/cutout.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
So you think Apple will eliminate the cutout display and Dynamic Island next year after tooling + all the effort that's gone into UX design? Mmmm, I think it will be at least another year or two before no notch/cutout.

Notch must be there as long as Apple still uses Face ID.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
May be for some low quality camera or finger sensor, but Face ID is another level of security.
Agreed, but do you see Apple moving away from Face ID? I'm certain it will continue to be used for the long term, meanwhile an easy "get people to upgrade feature" to add to the iPhone at some point will be the no-notch/no cutout display with face ID invisible under the glass. Samsung has developed the displays already and it will be on the road map for the iphone, I just think Apple can stretch out other upgrades/features for at least another year before this seeing as they have just added Dynamic Island.

K5QMHvPh_400x400.jpg

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
There are no mentions of "improved thermals" for the Pro models, some suspect that there'll be none.
Do they always explicitly repeat every feature that they have already mentioned for the standard model when they get to the Pro models, or do they usually just imply that everything on, say, the 12, will also be on the 12 Pro?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Then why not just buy 13 Pro Max with very similar price with 3 camera and pro stuff lol xd

That’s what my wife and I did this year. Got a 13 Pro for me and a 13 Pro Max for her for essentially the same prices as the 14 Plus. Most consumers won’t realise this though who are in the market for a new phone I wouldn’t imagine. Then again they may be looking at alternatives anyway with the cost of the devices this year. I think the iPhone 13 will be a big seller this year to be honest as it’s slightly cheaper and looks just like a 14.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
It's just another iPhone XR story.

But we can't blame anyone who chooses not to appreciate the internal tweaks done to the 14 models, it's Apple's obligation to deliver unbiased upgrades to its customers. When they failed to do so, like with the 5C and the XR, they had their lessons, but they just never learn.

I suppose we could justify Apple due to the supply chain issues, CPU shortage, and general COVID slowdown.
What we can't justify is the price hike in the EU. Other manufacturers are preferring to take a partial hit in profits and stay competitive here.
Also the eSIM issue in the USA is just as bad, if not worse.

Reactions: huanbrother

huanbrother

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2012
CHINA
Do they always explicitly repeat every feature that they have already mentioned for the standard model when they get to the Pro models, or do they usually just imply that everything on, say, the 12, will also be on the 12 Pro?
In 3 hours and 30 minutes, we'll find out.

I can repost interesting videos from Chinese reviewers here if they ever mention/confirm the speculations on the thermal improvements.

My take is this, if Apple has not mentioned something in exact words, or add noticible changes in the technical specifications page (like the bluetooth 5.3 upgrade implying a chip change), then don't expect anything.

Last edited:

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
It’s won’t be slower by any means. If an iPhone 12 is still fast and popular, the 14 is not going to be slow. I can’t see any difference in speed between my iPhone 12 and 13 Pro. The 14 Plus will be fine.
I guess I mean slow compares to the pro, well, just like the mini 13… hope I am wrong !!

huanbrother

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2012
CHINA
According to Geekerwan's test (
)

Using 5G, room temperature set at 30 Celcius, brightness set at 300nits, playing Genshin Impact on high preset (60fps).

All the 14 models can sustain 60 fps for at least 5 mins, in comparison, the 13 Pro Max can't maintain 60 fps from the start.
微信截图_20220916072321.png

The thermal improvements are there.

According to one repair man in China, the regular 14 model now has a 4s like sandwich structure which opens from the back, instead of opening from the front. There is a large piece of metal under the screen.

微信截图_20220916072716.png

Unlike the regular 14, the Pro models still accesses its boards from opening up the screen, and only small metal covers with thermal conductive foils on them. You may find reference in PBKreviews' video.

微信截图_20220916072842.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.