Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Mark Gurman said today in his newsletter than the 15 Pro will be “the biggest update since the device added 5G capability three years ago.” I really don’t understand why. Titanium, USB-C, 3nm chip, and periscope only on the Pro Max model. Sure, those are nice iterative updates, but biggest update since 5G?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
So it will have an action button and thinner bezels. And a better feature for the camera only for the Max model. I’m considering going for the standard one this year dropping one camera and having the benefit of usb c. Both these new features are pointless when all iPhones next year will be larger. I don’t see why they want a higher price tag for tiny S updates on the pro especially when a major redesign is coming.

It is going to be the best iPhone ever made, to date.
Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
nah last year was very much an S year

the pros this year is said to be the biggest in years. granted that's not saying much as the past 3 years have been very minor upgrades.

16 pro max is said to be getting massive upgrades next year with new sensor for both main and telephoto.

How could 14 Pro be an S year if it received 48MP last year? The 15 Pro is still the same 48MP sensor but more sensitive to low light. Dynamic Island introduced last year with AOD.

Nobody really cares about USB-C as it’s ultimately a charging interface.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Unfortunately I still like the flexibility of a physical SIM, but at this point I wouldn't "upgrade" to a 13 generation from my 12 Pro.
So my plan is to replace my battery when it drops below 80% and try to go a few more years.

Reactions: Martyimac

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
So it will have an action button and thinner bezels. And a better feature for the camera only for the Max model. I’m considering going for the standard one this year dropping one camera and having the benefit of usb c. Both these new features are pointless when all iPhones next year will be larger. I don’t see why they want a higher price tag for tiny S updates on the pro especially when a major redesign is coming.
Which model 15 do you have?

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I don’t consider this an S year. 12 to 13 to 14 seemed like S models. The 15 Pro is a new design with new materials and a whole new zoom camera.

In the old days, this would not be an S year. Think about the 5s. Same design but huge upgrade with TouchID. That was “only” an S.

Reactions: Mac47

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Mark Gurman said today in his newsletter than the 15 Pro will be “the biggest update since the device added 5G capability three years ago.” I really don’t understand why. Titanium, USB-C, 3nm chip, and periscope only on the Pro Max model. Sure, those are nice iterative updates, but biggest update since 5G?
3 out of 4 of those are better than 5G.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I am gonna wait for the 16 Pro Max to upgrade my 12 PM next year. So far I always upgraded when the screen got bigger (unintentionally). I’ll stick to that pattern haha also the 12 PM is still so good, getting all them iOS 17 features, no reason to upgrade (besides the battery at some point)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
How could 14 Pro be an S year if it received 48MP last year? The 15 Pro is still the same 48MP sensor but more sensitive to low light. Dynamic Island introduced last year with AOD.

Nobody really cares about USB-C as it’s ultimately a charging interface.

Yes it did get 48mp but photos weren’t really better. The processing was inconsistent and only just seen improvement in iOS 17. Yes dynamic island and AOD are nice and so was brightness improvement but apart from that felt like the same phone. I certainly wouldn’t say this felt like anything but minor

15 pro max certainly will feel like a much bigger upgrade if rumours are correct.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes it did get 48mp but photos weren’t really better. The processing was inconsistent and only just seen improvement in iOS 17. Yes dynamic island and AOD are nice and so was brightness improvement but apart from that felt like the same phone. I certainly wouldn’t say this felt like anything but minor

15 pro max certainly will feel like a much bigger upgrade if rumours are correct.

There is a massive improvement in detail for 48MP photos. Unless you're referring to 12MP shots, I don't see how it's reasonable to say photos weren't really better.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
The physical increase on display and size form factor is a big change for iPhone 16. iPhone 15 is just more “S” year.

By the way, connecting to a satellite from your phone without adding a huge antenna is actually a big deal on the iPhone 14 that everyone forgets and saves lives.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have an iPhone 6S as a backup, and an iPhone 11 as my main phone.

I may upgrade this year, depending on the price, otherwise I'll wait for the 16.

I'm impressed by how well iOS 17 (the betas) are running on my 11, so it's not lack of performance which will make me upgrade, but new features that my phone doesn't support. Let's see what the 15 is like function and price wise.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

1800AirTAG

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2014
Yup! The 15 Pro is the only iPhone that has sold literally none to date. Total flop!

Kidding of course. Nothing is guaranteed until Apple themselves release it. So we shall see once they actually do.

Reactions: adrianlondon

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
Some folks expectations are out of control now; genuinely worthwhile year-on-year 'must upgrade' improvements have become rare & the 12 > 13 > 14 and (likely) 15 are incremental tweaks of the same design.

I used to skip S years on the early phones & wish I wasn't suckered in by the new & shiny, flip-flopping between sizes.

Kudos to those coming from their trusty X or 11 who will have an enjoyable & differentiated experience! 👏👏

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
There is a massive improvement in detail for 48MP photos. Unless you're referring to 12MP shots, I don't see how it's reasonable to say photos weren't really better.

If you’re shooting pro raw yes but standard point and shoot many have commented that photos aren’t really an improvement from 13 pro line. Some cases worse as Apple been over processing photos.

it’s improved with iOS 17 certainly over sharpening but it’s took 9 months

Reactions: lyleschmitz

iJest

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
If you’re shooting pro raw yes but standard point and shoot many have commented that photos aren’t really an improvement from 13 pro line. Some cases worse as Apple been over processing photos.
At this point, RAW is pretty much useless for anything that's moving. Hopefully, more powerful future chips will allow RAW photos to be taken as instantly as mirrorless cameras.

lyleschmitz

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2023
USA
At this point, RAW is pretty much useless for anything that's moving. Hopefully, more powerful future chips will allow RAW photos to be taken as instantly as mirrorless cameras.
Damn, seem to keep running into ya. ProRAW is the only feature pushing me toward the Pro line for my next upgrade, but I've been using the Moment app to capture DNGs on my 14 and it seems to be doing pretty well. I might just stick with that. Just wish they showed up normal in the Photos app, they're always incredibly overexposed there.

Reactions: iJest

iJest

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
Damn, seem to keep running into ya. ProRAW is the only feature pushing me toward the Pro line for my next upgrade, but I've been using the Moment app to capture DNGs on my 14 and it seems to be doing pretty well. I might just stick with that. Just wish they showed up normal in the Photos app, they're always incredibly overexposed there.
Apple's over-processing is why I use third-party apps for taking photos and videos at the moment. I hope they fix this with the iPhone 15 and iOS 17.

• Love
Reactions: slplss

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
You've been using an X all this time? Wow. Much respect. I wish I had the discipline and intelligence to do this. Any helpful hints to do this for an annual upgrader like myself? :p Very cool.

I'm on an X too. My secret... being lazy. I hate upgrading anything. It's work. I have everything setup exactly as I like it anytime something changes, I lose some settings that I'll have to restore at the exact moment I don't have time to do so or I need to find new programs to replace ones that won't run anymore.

I'm only motivated to upgrade because my battery is starting to get funky and given that my day job is as a developer, I can't fall too far behind for fear of losing touch with what a current day experience should be like.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Upgrading my 6yr old iPhone X to a 15 Pro Max will be a substantial increase in performance and features so no it's not underwhelming. If you are updating from a 14 Pro Max then not so much.

I'm similarly a much delayed upgrader and I usually only buy in at the base level. I'm thinking of breaking that pattern this time around and going with one of the top tier models instead... or I might just wait for next year. I'm really easy to discourage from upgrading because I find it to be such a tedious thing. If I see the phone is out of stock for 4 weeks and I'll have to wait I just might conclude... "Eh, it'll only be another 10 months more until the next model so I'll just hold off."

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
How can it be underwhelming when it’s not even out yet. However based on rumours and rumours only, I think the pros will be the biggest upgrade

1.Titanium frame

2.Thinner bezels than on any smartphone to date.

3. Better Periscope, ie zoom(limited to Pro Max)
A17 chip (3nm based) with better battery life and much faster than any Android on the market.

4. Re-mappable mute switch

I think they are great updates, especially for those coming from older iPhones.

Reactions: slplss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.