Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Every time one of those self-appointed "experts" tweets a new rumor, some folks go into full meltdown mode.

IMG_3388.GIF

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2022
I disagree since the 15 is said to have these:

- USB-C port
- Action Button
- Periscope Lens
- Titanium build
- Faster Magsafe charging (up to 20 watts)
- 3nm A17 chip which leads to better performance and battery life
- 8gb RAM (I think its a big deal for better multitasking)

Based on the leaks, this seems far from underwhelming. If anything, I'd say the 16 Pro is more underwhelming than the 15 Pro if the only big feature is a larger screen.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

- USB-C port
- Action Button
- Periscope Lens
- Titanium build

Based on the leaks, this seems far from underwhelming. If anything, I'd say the 16 Pro is more underwhelming than the 15 Pro if the only big feature is a larger screen.

Well 16 pro gets periscope

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah

Then 16 pro gets this years lens and 16 pro max gets super telephoto

It sounds to me like they are setting up the Pro Max to be the “Ultra”

iPhone SE - standard small screen phone
iPhone - basic range
iPhone Pro - the next step up with more
iPhone Ultra - the top spec’d iPhone

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It sounds to me like they are setting up the Pro Max to be the “Ultra”

iPhone SE - standard small screen phone
iPhone - basic range
iPhone Pro - the next step up with more
iPhone Ultra - the top spec’d iPhone

Yep

6.9 inch phone as well

Reactions: Dave245

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
So it will have an action button and thinner bezels. And a better feature for the camera only for the Max model. I’m considering going for the standard one this year dropping one camera and having the benefit of usb c. Both these new features are pointless when all iPhones next year will be larger. I don’t see why they want a higher price tag for tiny S updates on the pro especially when a major redesign is coming.
Same Posts every year. Just don’t buy it if you don’t think it is worth it.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
nah last year was very much an S year

the pros this year is said to be the biggest in years. granted that's not saying much as the past 3 years have been very minor upgrades.

16 pro max is said to be getting massive upgrades next year with new sensor for both main and telephoto.

‘Somehow all the hype does not materialize.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

- USB-C port
- Action Button

- Periscope Lens
- Titanium build

If you have to include the Action button and USB-C port in the list, it kinda shows how underwhelming this year is.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2022

- USB-C port
- Action Button
- Periscope Lens
- Titanium build

I forgot that the 15 Pro is said to have curved edges too. So add that to the list of new features.

Sure the upgrades are not as drastic compared to how early iPhones evolve, but this is far from underwhelming. This is a good upgrade from the 14 Pro.

If you want to know what underwhelming is, take a look at the evolution from regular iPhone 13 to regular iPhone 14.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Think of it as an S year.

The majority of the updates happened with the 14 Pro: camera and display form factor. The 15 is getting a minor update to camera and relatively big performance update.
Not if 15 Pro was made out of titanium. That would make a marginable difference in cut weight. Also made using 3mm process. Lighter and more lasting sounds great, especially for Pro Max.
What do you expect for 16?

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
- USB-C port
- Action Button
- Periscope Lens
- Titanium build
I think I’ll go with that playing in my head when going to buy this phone, because I love my 11 PM in MG so much.
But it needs to be passed down the family tree, so what can I do? I’m literally powerless 😏.

Reactions: Legendts

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Nobody really cares about USB-C as it’s ultimately a charging interface.
Yeah who cares about USB-C if you can use amazing lightning to transfer Pro Res data to your Mac!

it’s improved with iOS 17 certainly over sharpening but it’s took 9 months
Do you have any test results? I can't find anything convincing.
The over sharpened mess is why I don't shoot photos with iPhone 13 Pro Max.

At this point, RAW is pretty much useless for anything that's moving. Hopefully, more powerful future chips will allow RAW photos to be taken as instantly as mirrorless cameras.
Isn't RAW taken in the first place anyway and then converted to HEIC/JPG?
How is JPG supposed to be faster?

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Think of it as an S year.

The majority of the updates happened with the 14 Pro: camera and display form factor. The 15 is getting a minor update to camera and relatively big performance update.

You mean SSSS year

We think your going to love the new 15🅂🅂🅂🅂

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

iJest

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
Yeah who cares about USB-C if you can use amazing lightning to transfer Pro Res data to your Mac!

Do you have any test results? I can't find anything convincing.
The over sharpened mess is why I don't shoot photos with iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Isn't RAW taken in the first place anyway and then converted to HEIC/JPG?
How is JPG supposed to be faster?
No, it isn't. You have to specifically turn RAW mode on in the camera settings and then when you want to shoot in RAW mode, you have to manually select it. It takes a couple seconds for it to take one photo, so it's completely useless for anything in motion. It's exclusively for still photography at this point in time.

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
No, it isn't. You have to specifically turn RAW mode on in the camera settings and then when you want to shoot in RAW mode, you have to manually select it. It takes a couple seconds for it to take one photo, so it's completely useless for anything in motion. It's exclusively for still photography at this point in time.
I mean RAW is just the data that hits the sensor, a JPEG is RAW data compressed and with some things applied like saturation.
So I don't understand how RAW can be slower than JPEG...

I have tried RAW in other camera apps and didn't notice it to be slower than HEIC.

iJest

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
I mean RAW is just the data that hits the sensor, a JPEG is RAW data compressed and with some things applied like saturation.
So I don't understand how RAW can be slower than JPEG...

I have tried RAW in other camera apps and didn't notice it to be slower than HEIC.
The RAW mode in the iPhone, which you haven't seemed to have tried yet, saves images in the RAW file format (DNG). This format retains the full color profile and image data information, allowing for extensive editing in apps like Lightroom. The reason it's slower than the JPEG/HEIC mode is that it captures images at 48 megapixels instead of the standard 12. As a result, it takes a couple of seconds to capture a photo. This delay is not instant like in mirrorless cameras and is likely due to the phone's processing capabilities. Once we have faster chips in future iPhone models, we might achieve an instant RAW mode, but for now, it's slightly slower due to the higher resolution and larger file size of RAW images.

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
The RAW mode in the iPhone, which you haven't seemed to have tried yet, saves images in the RAW file format (DNG). This format retains the full color profile and image data information, allowing for extensive editing in apps like Lightroom. The reason it's slower than the JPEG/HEIC mode is that it captures images at 48 megapixels instead of the standard 12. As a result, it takes a couple of seconds to capture a photo. This delay is not instant like in mirrorless cameras and is likely due to the phone's processing capabilities. Once we have faster chips in future iPhone models, we might achieve an instant RAW mode, but for now, it's slightly slower due to the higher resolution and larger file size of RAW images.
But then what about JPEG 48mpx, is it slow too? Or is there no such option?

iJest

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
But then what about JPEG 48mpx, is it slow too? Or is there no such option?
That's not an option. It's just DNG. When you're done editing the RAW image file, you can export it as whatever file format you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.